This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

587 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film (676 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

GF,FRWL & TB are by far the best Bond films in the connery era. i found that DN, YOLT & DAF were just plain boring

#302 ThunderhearT

ThunderhearT

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

its a tie between thunderball and goldfinger

im gonna go with goldfinger

#303 Iceheart

Iceheart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:06 AM

Tie between FRWL, GF and DAF

the most recent one ive seen is FRWL so i chose that

Iceheart

#304 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

Connery is my favourite Bond, and my favourite movie of his is TB. In TB I think Connery gives the most definative portrayal of an alpha-male in cinema history. Close behind TB are GF and FRWL. This will surprise many people I should imagine, but my least favourite of his official films is DN. I hope that one day I will see the light, but I have just never been that into it. A major drawback for me is Monty Norman's antiquated score - melodrama has never sounded so silly. Compared to Barry's work in FRWL it sounds terrible.

Edited by I never miss, 19 July 2006 - 02:47 PM.

#305 Iceheart

Iceheart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:31 AM

Connery is my favourite Bond, and my favourite movie of his is TB. In TB I think Connery gives the most definative portrayal of an alpha-male in cinema history. Close behind TB are GF and FRWL. This will surprise many people I should imagine, but my least favourite of his official films is DN. I hope that one day I will see the light, but I have just never been that into it. A major drawback for me is Monty Norman's antiquated score - melodrama has never sounded so silly. Compared to Barry's work in FRWL it sounds terrible.

I agree fully

Out of all of them i would rank

* From Russia wth Love

* Goldfinger

* Thunderball

* You Only live Twice

* Dr No - a shaky start to Sean connery's bond career. he seemed unsure of the character and then in From Russia with love he knew and made it his own. In thunderball he was acting with the sense of accomplishment from goldfinger giving him knowledge of the 007 personality.

Iceheart

#306 Marc402

Marc402

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

It was chhosing between Diamonds and goldfinger for me,
but goldfinger just won

#307 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

Can't make up my mind between Goldfinger and Thunderball.

#308 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

I love FRWL - a great cast with some fantastic scores by john barry i'm also a fan of GF, TB and of course DAF - hey, i cant help liking DAF but i just do :)

#309 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

1-GOLDFINGER
2-FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
3-DR NO
4-YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
5-NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
6-THUNDERBALL
7-DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

#310 Bombtom

Bombtom

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

Goldfinger. It's my favourite 007 film too

#311 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

This poll is so close (3 films running neck and neck)...maybe the closest one on all of CBn?

#312 Atomic Agent

Atomic Agent

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

I had to vote for Dr. No. I can watch that movie any time, any day. Over and over and over again. Connery is VERY close to Fleming's bond in this film (in my humble opinion). Great pace, great locations, great performances. Just great. FRWL and Thunderball are next, in that order. Then GF (although the opening sequence is my favourite of all of them). DAF and YOLT are a draw. I only watch them when I want to "mix it up" a bit.

#313 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:39 AM

Surprised so many think TB is the best.

1. FRWL
2. GF
3. DN
4. YOLT
5. TB
6. NSNA
7. DAF

#314 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Its not suprising that Russia and Thunder are the same, both great movies but i like Russia more :)

#315 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

This poll is so close (3 films running neck and neck)...maybe the closest one on all of CBn?

It appears to be of the "this actor's best film..." polls.

#316 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

Surprised so many think TB is the best.

Do not be. It is.

#317 BlackSpy

BlackSpy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

Depending on my mood, it's either FRWL or GF. I voted for GF, as it was trailing.

Edited by BlackSpy, 22 August 2006 - 08:34 PM.

#318 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:51 AM

It has to be FRWL.

I love everything about it - the chess match, Blofeld's voice, Klebb's shoe, Kerim Bey, the Gypsy camp fight (and Bond's only screen threesome, :) ), the Orient Express, the fight with Grant, the boat chase, the helicopter, the music, the atmosphere and the cast.

All Brilliant.

#319 Trey

Trey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

I voted Thunderball, just because its such a fun Bond flick, with all the right elements thrown in. FRWL closely follows behind, I liked Dr. No (for me, the location is what makes it), YOLT and DAF were fun to watch, but nowhere near the rating of Thunderball and FRWL, but for somereason, I just couldn't get in to Goldfinger.

#320 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

I said before that I love THUNDERBALL over the others. That's because of the complex plot, the lavish sets, great acting all around, one of the great soundtracks in film history.

On a technical level I aknowledge GOLDFINGER is the better film. The plot is simpler to follow and the threat from Goldfinger and Oddjob are more cinematic and therefore obvious than in THUNDERBALL.

#321 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

Haven't checked this poll in a while. It's amazing that FRWL and TB are now both tied on 104 votes each.

It's also weird to see GF coming 3rd (in a list purely for the Connery films!), when half the planet always seems to cite it as the all time classic Bond film.

#322 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

It's probably because the novels of FRWL and TB are both fantastic, and the movies are adapted somewhat closely. Goldfinger is adapted well, too, and is a fantastic film, but IMO, the FRWL and TB novels were better. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws to help explain. :)

#323 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Haven't checked this poll in a while. It's amazing that FRWL and TB are now both tied on 104 votes each.

It's also weird to see GF coming 3rd (in a list purely for the Connery films!), when half the planet always seems to cite it as the all time classic Bond film.

Could be because FRWL and TB are the moderate extremes (true extremes being DN and YOLT), while GF is a balance between the two. Many a fan of epic Bonds might go for Thunderball first and have Goldfinger above FRWL, or a fan of the more low-key spy thriller Bonds going for FRWL with Goldfinger above TB, but the way it's weighted you only see the skew of first place preferences.

Just pure conjecture on my part.

#324 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Another fine attempt at explanation.

#325 Mr. Du Pont

Mr. Du Pont

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

I happily cast my vote to give Thunderball the lead by one (at least temporarily).

Fiona Volpe is reason enough to give the nod to Bond 4.

#326 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

Welcome to the CommanderBond.net Forums Mr. Du Pont. :)

#327 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

Yes it is interesting to see FRWL and TB so close together.

I am quite surprised that Dr No is ranked so low.

---

#328 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:52 AM

It's kind of nice to not see Goldfinger leading a Bond poll for once.

#329 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

I find it interesting that Dr. No is the least voted of all his official Bonds, when it and FRwL have always been not only my top two favorite Bond movies, but my favorite films of all time. I've voted FRwL here before but have to give a shout out to Dr. No, it holds elements i treasure, especially this 'journey into mystery or danger' vibe that was present and in FRwL which oddly is also present in my favorite science fiction film and horror film. I'm just drawn to these layers.

Qwerty, it is well known your undisputed top two are The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, so you must like Gilbert the most of the Bond directors, his signature style. What are your thoughts on his other film YOLT, surely it must be your #3?

Edited by Colossus, 16 October 2006 - 07:32 AM.

#330 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Qwerty, it is well known your undisputed top two are The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, so you must like Gilbert the most of the Bond directors, his signature style. What are your thoughts on his other film YOLT, surely it must be your #3?

True. If I were to pick my favourite Bond director, Lewis Gilbert would be my choice. Naturally, it isn't just what he himself put into the films, but everyone's.

I rank You Only Live Twice often around the #10/#11 range. While very entertaining, (there is no bad Bond film in my opinion--just some that are better than others) Connery appears quite bored at times and it rubs off on the film at times, appearing mechanical.

On the other hand, the locations are absolutely breathtaking and some of the characters (Tiger Tanaka, Aki) are very good. It's a great Bond film.

If interested at all, my top is:

1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
2 - Moonraker
3 - [film=99]On Her Majesty