627 replies to this topic

#121 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Maybe they told him that, but realistically they wouldn't cast a relatively unknown German actor as the main Bond villain.

#122 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they auditioned many actors, don't forget, they had 200 actors considered before Craig was cast as Bond.

#123 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Maybe they told him that, but realistically they wouldn't cast a relatively unknown German actor as the main Bond villain.

Possibly, but then again, why not? They might have auditioned him, and then seen his earlier stuff? Has anyone here seen him in anything? Maybe that could shed any light on his acting ability and performance.  :)

Edited by DamnCoffee, 26 January 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#124 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Now that's interesting. Rome could make sense if he's a henchman of sorts. Brazil is curious - but that could be an obvious replacement for Mexico if there were problems with that part of the shoot.

The article reads as if Brazil would be the substitute for Rome. So I guess they really are freaking out about the problems with the Italians.

And yes, I think this film is doomed. Too many issues already.

#125 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Gert Fröbe wasn't exactly an international household name when they cast him as Goldfinger. Nobody had heard of Andreas Wisniewski (Necros) or Götz Otto (Stamper) before, not even in Germany. Sometimes it's really funny how they seem to cast German actors. There were loads of them in CR for example, and the casting seems a bit odd: Ludger Pistor (Mendel) - well known actor at home, a small but memorable role. Clemens Schick (Kratt) - one of Le Chiffre's main henchmen (event hough he didn't have much to do or say): nobody heard of him before, he was a theatre actor. And his career didn't exactly lift off after CR. Veruschka von Lehndorf (poker player) - she was a supermodell in the early 1970's, long forgotten before that. Richard Sammel (Gettler) - hardly known in Germany, most of his career took place in France. Jürgen Tarrach (tourist with the car) - he's a huge name in Germany, we even discussed wether he could be Le Chiffre, he ended up with some 10 seconds screen time....

Detlef Bothe - we briefly discussed him in the Austria thread... The name meant nothing to me, but the face seemed familiar when I looked him up. Seen him here and there in German TV productions. Solid actor who likes to play bad guys (because it's more challenging). His friends kept saying for more than 15 years that he'd certainly make a good Bond villain.

Personally, I'd be carfull with this article. It's from BZ (Berliner Zeitung), which is one of the worst tabloid rugs. We don't know what they invented around the tiny bits he was allowed to talk about.

#126 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

I for one do not believe it. There was never a wide casting search for Oberhauser - it was always Christoph Waltz.

This actor has given this publication a few quotes and they have sensationalised it. 

#127 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Brazil instead of Rome would be an interesting switch (and probably doable, though it would make Belucci's casting/character a bit out of place). Interesting to see whether this rumor amounts to anything.

#128 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

well, I guess I would still take it with a grain of salt. Couldn't find anything about this story in Italian media (at least the online ones) over the last week... Any of our Italian friends here know more?

There's plenty of articles in italian (such as this one: http://www.bestmovie...a-roma/348435/)

It's really a shame, anyway, not to say ridicolous. I understand everything but denying filming because of a ghost. I really hope that this won't affect the movie in a bad way.

#129 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Bond films usually encounter challenges of this sort. I'm sure the SPECTRE team will find ways to cope.

#130 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Once again..."Keep Calm and Trust In Bond"... ;)

#131 Kamran.Shah

Kamran.Shah

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

well, I guess I would still take it with a grain of salt. Couldn't find anything about this story in Italian media (at least the online ones) over the last week... Any of our Italian friends here know more?

There's plenty of articles in italian (such as this one: http://www.bestmovie...a-roma/348435/)

It's really a shame, anyway, not to say ridicolous. I understand everything but denying filming because of a ghost. I really hope that this won't affect the movie in a bad way.

rro

Thanks Walecs. However, all 7 articles I could find in Italian (by searching for "James Bond" and "Roma" via google news) were actually quoting the Mirror Story... I still couldn't find any original reporting from Italy pre-dating the Mirror Story. Which is one of the reasons why I do not buy it...

#132 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

rro

Thanks Walecs. However, all 7 articles I could find in Italian (by searching for "James Bond" and "Roma" via google news) were actually quoting the Mirror Story... I still couldn't find any original reporting from Italy pre-dating the Mirror Story. Which is one of the reasons why I do not buy it...

You're right. I'll keep an eye on television and newspapers and will make you know. So far I haven't heard anything.

#133 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

I think this film is doomed. Too many issues already.

Really? Every recent Bond film has hit fairly sizeable bumps in the road, and we're nowhere near QUANTUM OF SOLACE levels of chaos yet.

The hacking issues blew over very quickly, and most of these reports from Rome appear barely credible and minor inconveniences until we know otherwise.

Not withstanding all of that, by all accounts there's a very strong script (not the old details featured in the leaks), and a top quality cast. Plenty of reason to be cheerful in my opinion.

#134 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

Perhaps those here with a background in film production can advise, but is it common for such a production to hit such obstacles as Spectre has so far? They had the bad luck with the weather in Austria, now this kerfuffle over a bridge in Rome. It just seems that the film makers are having to overcome one problem after another to get the film made. And never mind the major problem of those leaks!

So, has Spectre just hit a rotten run of luck, and if so, is it the kind of thing that can bedevil any film?

Absolutely! This is comparatively minor stuff, btw.

Remember the monks' protest in FYEO? That actually went to the Greek Supreme Court.

And I think Barbara Broccoli said that Russian Mafia types disrupted local filming at gunpoint on Goldeneye, wouldn't let production resume until they were paid a truckload of money.

#135 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

I also thought I heard somewhere that during filming in Harlem for LALD, the production had to pay protection money to one of the gangs there in order to film safely..

#136 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

And didn't we have a local mayor crashing into the set of QoS with his car in Bolivia? And don't forget, Daniel Craig can't drive stick shift...  :D

They still print everything these days.

#137 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

And of course don't forget the time they couldn't get Pierce Brosnan for The Living Daylights! :P

Seriously tho', are people's memories so short that they forget, I dunno, CR'67, NSNA, TND? Now those were truly troubled productions. I recall a quote somewhere from some technicians on TND who said to this day it's a wonder that film even finished shooting, given all the production turmoil, script problems, animosity between producers, actors, writers and the director.

#138 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

And of course don't forget the time they couldn't get Pierce Brosnan for The Living Daylights! :P

Seriously tho', are people's memories so short that they forget, I dunno, CR'67, NSNA, TND? Now those were truly troubled productions. I recall a quote somewhere from some technicians on TND who said to this day it's a wonder that film even finished shooting, given all the production turmoil, script problems, animosity between producers, actors, writers and the director.

This man, he makes a good point!

#139 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

I also thought I heard somewhere that during filming in Harlem for LALD, the production had to pay protection money to one of the gangs there in order to film safely..

I heard that happened when filming "The Warriors" back in '78!

To me, the most distressing issue that can plague a production is the lack of a finished script. Too many productions work towards a a release date or have a start date without a completed script. You spend time trying to literally fill in the blanks and to create something not found on the page. This crippled "Alien 3" and it hobbled QOS.

I think SPECTRE will be fine. Sometimes you get permission to shoot somewhere and later, the permission is rescinded. A production of this size has the ability to adapt and find alternate locations. That's why the secondary audio commentaries on Bond films with the other crew members is so interesting. You get to hear how they improvise and make things work. I'm sure we'll hear some interesting things for Spectre's Blu-Ray commentary.

#140 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:58 AM

https://www.facebook...2577500566863:0

Apparently Rome is not totally abandoned.. The lovely Brigitte Millar is joining the cast, in a villainous role, and will be shooting at Pinewood and in Rome..

#141 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

Our friend, the very reliable Marketto, has been in touch with his official sources and there are no plans to shoot any of SPECTRE Brazil.

#142 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Bond films usually encounter challenges of this sort. I'm sure the SPECTRE team will find ways to cope.

Yep. Bond films have encountered roadblocks in the past and the team have always adapted to the situation and persevered.

#143 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

QR8VC.jpg

#144 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

https://www.facebook...2577500566863:0

Apparently Rome is not totally abandoned.. The lovely Brigitte Millar is joining the cast, in a villainous role, and will be shooting at Pinewood and in Rome..

Original report from her agents: http://international...new-james-bond/

I don't imagine she'll have a particularly major role, so perhaps one of the villainous organisation's rank and file members.

#145 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:08 AM

http://www.bestmovie...apitale/348571/
http://www.tvzoom.it...ampa&Itemid=374

Updates from Italy.
After last week's rumors  reporting that  protests by religious activists  were causing trouble for obtaining the permission of filming on the  Ponte Sisto bridge,  the details of the agreement between the Municipality of Rome and the producers of 007 are now surfacing.
The city administration has granted the permission to film in the capital: the production will have to adapt to the strict regulations for the protection of monuments, and in favor of the city will enter 15 million  € .
The agreement also provides the opportunity for students in the Experimental Center of Cinematography to visit the set during filming and to be involved in the making of the film.
Finally, the city will also be given away, for the purpose of promoting tourism, 30 seconds of aerial shots signed by Sam Mendes and has also been granted permission to project in some cinemas owned by the Municipality the documentary "Everything or Nothing "made in 2012 to celebrate 50 years of  cinematic James Bond.
As for the chase scene along Via delle Quattro Fontane, whose authorization was previously denied, there may be a partial reconsideration by the city administration: the scene will be filmed, only without the sequence of the car jump at the intersection, which is considered too risky for the Baroque monument. During the shooting the restoration scaffolding will be removed from the fountains.
It is now up to the producers to decide whether to cut  the location at all or modify it.

#146 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:16 AM

Very interesting! Thanks for the info, Luigi! :)

#147 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

Edit: Delete post

#148 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:43 AM

Edit not displaying - will update when appropriate

#149 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Luigi, great to have clearer information about the Quattro Fontane issues. Sure they'll reach a useful compromise.

#150 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

It's likely we'll watch the sequence and unless otherwise told, wouldn't have known issues arose during filming.