This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Confirmed: Naomie Harris is NOT playing Moneypenny.

238 replies to this topic

#91 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

PS:Is this a game? Can I join in? :D

No!
Actually, I was just trying to make a point. Col. Sun posted "Eve is Moneypenny" without any explanation or evidence. I'm not sure what he is expecting but his working implies access to knowledge. I decided that, in the interests of fairness, someone should post "Eve is not Moneypenny" just to highlight the way he did not bother to elaborate. I cannot prove Eve is not Moneypenny just as much as he cannot prove that she is.

lol, then my post serves the same purpose ;) Alhough to be fair, if there´s someone here that doesn´t need to show evidence when speaking, is the Col. If he says Eve is Moneypenny and is serious about it, I believe him, the man knows stuff :)

#92 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

Facts are scarce on this. From what is available in the public domain, it seems entirely possible that she is Monepenny (no last name is given for her character). But equally the facts given say that she's Eve, a field agent.

I'll be rather disappointed if they spring this on us as surprise, as I'm not a big fan of the whole: "look he's now got his Aston Martin", "isn't that clever of us and look here's his famous DJ for the first time", and "wow he just uttered the famous line for the first time"....It's all so self-referential and OTT.

So if they really did go down the line of having field agent Eve rolling around the whole film not being Bond's equal (a nice lead-in to her desk job), but ending up behind a desk towards the end of the film going: "it's Ms Monepenny to you James!" I'll cringe so far into my seat that I might just accidentally evacuate something. Seriously.

Let it play out less cackhandedly and I'm probably likely to be able to hold it in.

#93 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

In the original article in the Mail (back in July), Baz points out that Moneypenny holds the rank of Lieutenant RN. At the time, I thought this was an odd detail for him to bring up - it wouldn’t be something he’d know off the top of his head and it’s not something that is ever mentioned in the films.

It strikes me as something that his source might have mentioned in relation to how this new Moneypenny would be depicted in Skyfall.

Then, at the press conference, we have Harris pointing out that Eve is ‘not Bond’s equal’ (a remark that is extraordinary enough to anyone who has followed the Bond films' publicity over the years) and then goes on to say that Eve is of a ‘lower rank to Bond’.

Can you see where I’m going here?

#94 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

In the original article in the Mail (back in July), Baz points out that Moneypenny holds the rank of Lieutenant RN. At the time, I thought this was an odd detail for him to bring up - it wouldn’t be something he’d know off the top of his head and it’s not something that is ever mentioned in the films.

It strikes me as something that his source might have mentioned in relation to how this new Moneypenny would be depicted in Skyfall.

Then, at the press conference, we have Harris pointing out that Eve is ‘not Bond’s equal’ (a remark that is extraordinary enough to anyone who has followed the Bond films' publicity over the years) and then goes on to say that Eve is of a ‘lower rank to Bond’.

Can you see where I’m going here?

Good points. She does wear a uniform in one of the films (I'm thinking TMWTGG) - but hardly something a DM hack would know.

#95 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Actually, I was just trying to make a point. Col. Sun posted "Eve is Moneypenny" without any explanation or evidence. I'm not sure what he is expecting but his working implies access to knowledge. I decided that, in the interests of fairness, someone should post "Eve is not Moneypenny" just to highlight the way he did not bother to elaborate. I cannot prove Eve is not Moneypenny just as much as he cannot prove that she is.

I consider Col. Sun the most trustworthy person on this forum. I've believed for a long time that Eve is Moneypenny but know that he said that too, I'm absolutely convinced.

I think all of the big rumours ahead of the launch turned out to be true (casting in particular) - so I'm pretty much on the Monepenny side of the fence. It just fits instinctively.

#96 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I consider Col. Sun the most trustworthy person on this forum. I've believed for a long time that Eve is Moneypenny but know that he said that too, I'm absolutely convinced.

With all due respect to Sun, I'm not prepared to take things he says on good faith simply because you do. Particularly since you produced this little gem earlier today:

She is Moneypenny. Deal with it.

I might have a reputation for snark around here, but I was never rude for the sake of it. If I got stuck into someone, it was usually because they had said or done something I felt to be remarkably stupid. This post, however, has an overwhelmingly negative feeling to it - almost as if you're expecting us to take your word for it, and if we don't, well more fool us because we're not blessed with your undisclosed insight.

#97 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

What would be so wrong about a field agent becoming the assistent (Moneypenny does sound like a nickname for a financial pennypincher who is berating Bond for spending too much - and he flirts with her to get a bigger budget)?

#98 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

With all due respect to Sun, I'm not prepared to take things he says on good faith simply because you do.

But over time, one builds up trust based on experience. That’s the point here, it’s obvious that Col. Sun works in the film industry and knows people working on Skyfall.

I consider his insights very valuable here.

#99 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

What would be so wrong about a field agent becoming the assistent (Moneypenny does sound like a nickname for a financial pennypincher who is berating Bond for spending too much - and he flirts with her to get a bigger budget)?

Nothing per se. It's all in the execution to me.

#100 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

With all due respect to Sun, I'm not prepared to take things he says on good faith simply because you do.

But over time, one builds up trust based on experience. That’s the point here, it’s obvious that Col. Sun works in the film industry and knows people working on Skyfall.

Appreciate that Shrublands.

I understand Captain's point of view, it is all about trust really.

It's a bit difficult for me because I hear a lot of things (for example I knew about the DB5 being back weeks ago) but do not post such stuff for several reasons;
I respect Eon enormously, plus colleagues who are working on Skyfall, so I won't break that trust on a site like this even though you are all true Bond fans and seem
very respectful of Bond and the filmmakers. And it's simply unfair to reveal secrets of a film in production, it spoils it for the hard working filmmakers and for many fans too.
What's great about these forums is that we can discuss, share ideas, theories etc. and then respond to facts which naturally come to light as filming progresses.

I feel I can say about Moneypenny because it's already out of the bag, I mean The Daily Mail have been on about it for months, and Craig's early interviews do reveal
the potential to discover Moneypenny's origins. Plus, the very fact that they have only announced Miss Harris is playing Eve, the lack of a character sir-name does stand out a bit.

#101 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

I really don't know if I aprove this or not, yet. A field agent being "promoted" to M's Office as Miss Penny? Hmmm...don't know, could work, or not.

xxx

#102 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

I feel I can say about Moneypenny because it's already out of the bag, I mean The Daily Mail have been on about it for months, and Craig's early interviews do reveal
the potential to discover Moneypenny's origins. Plus, the very fact that they have only announced Miss Harris is playing Eve, the lack of a character sir-name does stand out a bit.

Out of interest, and I understand if you can’t say anything or if it’s something that you just don’t know: Does my point about Moneypenny’s rank of Lieutenant RN have any importance? I would think that it does.

#103 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Out of interest, and I understand if you can’t say anything or if it’s something that you just don’t know: Does my point about Moneypenny’s rank of Lieutenant RN have any importance?

I really don't know. I suspect she's a fresh field agent and events propel her into the inside workings of Mi6. I can't see, in the 21st century, Moneypenny being the same, behind the desk, dreaming about Bond, character that we saw in the earlier films. I imagine they are re-inventing her and her relationship to Bond. They have cast a very fine actress, so I think they have thought very carefully about the character and her future potential.

#104 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

They have cast a very fine actress, so I think they have thought very carefully about the character and her future potential.

Possibly too fine, and therefore popular, to become a recurring feature of future Bond films...?

(I know Dench fits those boxes but her career's behnd her, Bond a nice pension: Harris' all about the future)

Unless Harris-Penny is a one-off gig; Craig goes and EON can recast the role again.

#105 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Out of interest, and I understand if you can’t say anything or if it’s something that you just don’t know: Does my point about Moneypenny’s rank of Lieutenant RN have any importance?

I really don't know. I suspect she's a fresh field agent and events propel her into the inside workings of Mi6. I can't see, in the 21st century, Moneypenny being the same, behind the desk, dreaming about Bond, character that we saw in the earlier films. I imagine they are re-inventing her and her relationship to Bond. They have cast a very fine actress, so I think they have thought very carefully about the character and her future potential.

Yes Harris is an impressive actress and a total reinvention of the character seems like the most likely idea. That’s clearly the way they are going with Q too, I’m pleased.
The characters had become pale by-the-book versions of what the actors and writers had created in the 60s. Something fresh and inventive would be very welcome.
‘The loyal spinster secretary with a soft spot for Bond’ and ‘The crusty old boffin who finds Bond too irresponsible’ has been played to death and seem anachronistic in 2011/12.

#106 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's a bit difficult for me because I hear a lot of things (for example I knew about the DB5 being back weeks ago) but do not post such stuff for several reasons;
I respect Eon enormously, plus colleagues who are working on Skyfall, so I won't break that trust on a site like this even though you are all true Bond fans and seem
very respectful of Bond and the filmmakers. And it's simply unfair to reveal secrets of a film in production, it spoils it for the hard working filmmakers and for many fans too.
What's great about these forums is that we can discuss, share ideas, theories etc. and then respond to facts which naturally come to light as filming progresses.

So what else do you know that you're not telling us? ;)

#107 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

I very much hope that's what they are doing. It would be much more congruent with the reinvention of Bond as well.

#108 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

They have cast a very fine actress, so I think they have thought very carefully about the character and her future potential.

Possibly too fine, and therefore popular, to become a recurring feature of future Bond films...?

(I know Dench fits those boxes but her career's behnd her, Bond a nice pension: Harris' all about the future)

Unless Harris-Penny is a one-off gig; Craig goes and EON can recast the role again.

Betting she's signed on for more films, probably because the role has greater potential than it did in the past.

#109 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Betting she's signed on for more films, probably because the role has greater potential than it did in the past.

Possibly... but she's the leading lady here; surely EON aren't going to have her repeating as a leading lady - Bond and Moneypenny as a partnership? - smaller role in future films?

#110 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Possibly... but she's the leading lady here; surely EON aren't going to have her repeating as a leading lady - Bond and Moneypenny as a partnership? - smaller role in future films?

They are building up to a new Moneypenny franchise, a bit like Bridget Jones - but with a twist.

#111 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well I mean she probably is but why does the press find it necessary to ruin the surprise? They are REALLY trying to get this into our heads, and for what? Credibility? This is so embarrassing, they really need to stop and remember that some out there actually enjoying being surprised by movies.

#112 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Well I mean she probably is but why does the press find it necessary to ruin the surprise? They are REALLY trying to get this into our heads, and for what? Credibility? This is so embarrassing, they really need to stop and remember that some out there actually enjoying being surprised by movies.

I think in this case the ultimate reason was to provide free advertising for some hokus pokus nonsense treatments that NH's mum sells, which the reporter may or may not have sampled but certainly feels the need to mention (including price).

#113 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Personally, I doubt that the film will play it out as a surprise – in the run up to the release, I bet Harris will be interviewed as Moneypenny and she’ll be introduced as Lieutenant Eve Moneypenny from the word go in Skyfall. I’m not expecting a big drum roll in the last reel with Bond saying something like “What is your last name by the way?”

It’s just that the Eon publicity department don’t want to play this card for a bit longer yet, or perhaps they are the ones planting this stuff in the press to keep people talking and speculating. There are a lot of new quotes from Harris herself in today’s Mail article. ;)

#114 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Personally, I doubt that the film will play it out as a surprise – in the run up to the release, I bet Harris will be interviewed as Moneypenny and she’ll be introduced as Lieutenant Eve Moneypenny from the word go in Skyfall. I’m not expecting a big drum roll in the last reel with Bond saying something like “What is your last name by the way?”

It’s just that the Eon publicity department don’t want to play this card for a bit longer yet, or perhaps they are the ones planting this stuff in the press to keep people talking and speculating. There are a lot of new quotes from Harris herself in today’s Mail article. ;)

Precisely, Eon, MGM and Sony know full well that character leaks, especially for the iconic supporting characters, will trickle out. But the longer it takes, the more free publicity they
get and that keeps Skyfall in the news and keeps the public awareness building. Today's Daily Mail article shows that. Yet another article about Eve being Moneypenny.

#115 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for expressing your point of view, Col. Sun, I find your posts full of useful content (+ Rep for you, unfortunately the reputation system is gone). I have to admit that after the announcement of Helen McCrory been casted as Clair Dowar, I began to consider seriously the possibility that Naomie Harris could really play the role of Miss Moneypenny. At first I have struggled to accept the fact that Baz Bamigboye might be right, but apparently he might have good sources inside the film industry since all his spoilers have then come true.
I am naturally more inclined to reason about information rather than to fantasize, and there are many clues that lead to the conclusion Naomie Harris = Miss Moneypenny.
The first is the fact that Daniel Craig long ago spoke specifically about the possibility of reintroducing the classic characters in the series and showing where they come from. This idea has gained even more credibility when we learned that DC himself has discussed his ideas with Sam Mendes during the early stage of the script. Then from the Skyfall's official press conference emerged that the new film will be a "classic" one and recently Craig added that the film begins in the way all the Bond's films usually begin and end in the way all the Bond's films end.
What characters would you expect to see in a classic Bond film?
I would certainly expect to see Miles Messervy, Q and Miss Moneypenny!Now we Know that Ben Wishaw has been casted as Q and there are rumours that a well-known actor could play the role of Mallory ;) . But there is a problem: Naomie Harris has said that she will play the role of the Agent Eve. How do you explain that? The most logical explanation is that her character (and also the others) will not appear in the film in the way we're used to see them, but we will see the origin of those characters and their evolutionary process . Something similar to what had happened in Casino Royale with Bond being promoted to 00 Agent. We know that MI6 will be under attack during the movie, so I don't expect to see the staff of MI6 in their usual workplaces, but I expect this to happen only once the threat is destroyed. Finally, if the writers have actually chosen this path, the fact that the role of Q has been assigned to Ben Wishaw, leads us to believe that his characterization of Q will be different from the traditional one we are used to see.So ,in a similar way, they could legitimately have chosen to follow the same pattern for the role of Miss Moneypenny.On this basis,the equation Naomie Harris = Miss Moneypenny is more than possible: it is very likely.

#116 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Wish they wouldn't ruin every surprise.

I can give away the ending;

He gets the girl, kills the bad guy, wrecks his plans and saves the world. Somewhere in the middle there's sex and a drink or two.

#117 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Wish they wouldn't ruin every surprise.

I can give away the ending;

He gets the girl, kills the bad guy, wrecks his plans and saves the world. Somewhere in the middle there's sex and a drink or two.

Usually a good prediction for any Bond movie. Not sure if it'll all work out. Taking QoS as an example, he didn't get the girl, he didn't kill the bad guy (but actually wrecked his plans) and didn't exactly save the world. Okay, there was sex and drinks in the middle :D

Sounds plausible that Eve is Monneypenny, but I'm only going to believe it when it's confirmed. The Daily Mail will beat this horse to death and stick to their story, no matter what happens. IIRC, we had a similar case with CR or QoS (can't remember what it was), but the story was wrong. But the paper (or website) kept on reporting about it even after the truth was out...

#118 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Personally, I doubt that the film will play it out as a surprise – in the run up to the release, I bet Harris will be interviewed as Moneypenny and she’ll be introduced as Lieutenant Eve Moneypenny from the word go in Skyfall.

Why Lieutenant? Is that from a post-Fleming novel?

I don't think everyone in MI6, including secretaries, should be some previous military officer rank. Major Boothroyd for sure, as the original character was such, but Moneypenny was just a secretary. I really hope in general that they don't make some huge song and dance about re-introducing Moneypenny as if she's got some grandiose backstory. They tend to go over the top with all that sort of stuff in films now and it can just end up very gimmicky. It seems a bit lame to me to take the fact that Bond flirted with Ms secretary now and then as some important meaning, or indicating some past special relationship. After all, since when does Bond *not* flirt with attractive women?

#119 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Little surprised I got jumped on a bit. Just real quick, simply knowing that the good guys will win in the end doesn't count as a spoiler, if we're being honest. There are still moments within the film that have you fearing for their lives in a way far removed than if you were to know the exact contents of the ending. As for the Moneypenny situation, yeah it was going to get out sooner or later and yeah it's doubtful that the reveal was going to be done in a flashy way, and yes, it is also free marketing, but it's still the principle of the matter that the DM seems intent on telling EVERYONE several of what the filmmakers may very well consider "surprises." It could have been a nice moment if Bond and Eve were checking into MI6 via voice recognition, and Bond gave his name and a code ("Bond, James. 77341"), followed by Eve saying, "Moneypenny, Eve. 31620," or something similar. A nice little moment that would have been a pleasant surprise for some is being beaten to death by the press. Guess I'm alone in my mild annoyance. Carry on folks!

#120 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:41 AM

Why Lieutenant?

It’s not to do with what I would personally like or think appropriate.
It’s a conclusion drawn from a line of reasoning outlined in my posts in this thread.
I don’t want to go over it all again.

I don't think everyone in MI6, including secretaries, should be some previous military officer rank. Major Boothroyd for sure...

Umm, not just Major Boothroyd
Admiral Sir Miles Messervy
Lt. Colonel Bill Tanner
Commander James Bond
And Lt. Moneypenny