This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Confirmed: Naomie Harris is NOT playing Moneypenny.

238 replies to this topic

#121 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

Why Lieutenant? Is that from a post-Fleming novel?

I don't think everyone in MI6, including secretaries, should be some previous military officer rank.

Not from Fleming or a continuation novel, but have you ever seen YOLT?

Posted Image

#122 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

well in the new Batman movie, Marion Cotillard's character has a name that's been released to the press- but she's almost definitely playing another more famous character so it does happen that there are some sneaky things in press releases

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I must address this: Wasn't the "Cotillard as Talia" rumor squashed months ago? What new developments have you heard make it "almost definite"?

As for Harris, I don't see an actress of her emerging stature playing a glorified extra. So unless they give her an atypically juicy part, I can't see her as Moneypenny.

#123 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Of course, that assumes that the new Moneypenny would be a role of the same size and intensity as the old Moneypenny. If you had predicted that Judi Dench would have had as much screen time as Bernard Lee, you would have been wrong. If Moneypenny is reintroduced, she might develop into a much bigger character than before. Especially if they happen to recast M so that there are no other recurring female characters.

Imagine a situation in which the new M is a distant, frigid fellow who dislikes Bond, so that Bond must rely on Moneypenny for much more than banter. Though technically a subordinate of M, Moneypenny would be the face of MI6, and heavily invested in Bond's activities. M would use her as a lever for controlling Bond, and Bond would appeal to her as a way of getting to M.

#124 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I must address this: Wasn't the "Cotillard as Talia" rumor squashed months ago?

Yes. Cotillard herself said she is not playing a "dual role" when asked about it.

#125 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I must address this: Wasn't the "Cotillard as Talia" rumor squashed months ago?

Yes. Cotillard herself said she is not playing a "dual role" when asked about it.

Cotillard is in no way obligated to tell the truth about such information to the press. Plus, the fact that she was spotted on set wearing this outfit http://film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/marion-cotillard-talia-al-ghul-the-dark-knight-rises-2011-set-01.jpg is all the proof I need that the rumor is true.

#126 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

As for Harris, I don't see an actress of her emerging stature playing a glorified extra. So unless they give her an atypically juicy part, I can't see her as Moneypenny.

I really don't think she's playing a glorified extra. I'd imagine this will be the largest role we've seen for a Moneypenny in the Bond franchise, presumably seeing her transition from field agent to desk-bound assistant.

#127 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Assuming, of course, that she is Moneypenny.

#128 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Naturally. I overlooked my usual disclaimer to that effect. Having said that, Col Sun's confirmation is probably good enough for me anyway.

#129 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Well, that's a bitch. It means that pain-in-the-[censored] Baz Bamigboye was right.

He still deserves a swift punch to the throat, though.

#130 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Is it public knowledge that Eve Harris is Moneypenny now? I'm really confused, because in today's Daily Mail, there's a feature about Naomie Harris in the TravelMail section about her recent trip to the Maldives, and a strapline which reads: "As Miss Moneypenny in the new Bond film, Naomie Harris is used to glamour and luxury..." Followed by an article written by Naomie herself.

So what's going on? Is she confirmed? In the words of Le Chiffre, "Im a little confused"...

#131 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

As far as I know it is not confirmed, but seems to be a very badly kept secret where the major players have stopped bothering to deny it.

#132 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

As far as I know it is not confirmed, but seems to be a very badly kept secret where the major players have stopped bothering to deny it.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

#133 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Okay so how come in the very same paper in the interview with Naomie Harris it says and I quote:
"Despite speculation that she was to star as Miss Moneypenny, Harris reveals exclusively to Live that this was never under discussion. 'The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour. But Eve is not remotely office-bound'."
So which is it? Don't you just love the British tabloid press. Couldn't get thier stories to match even in the same edition of a paper if their life depeneded on it.

#134 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'd listen to Live. For one, they have quoted Harris directly on the matter. And secodnly, they're not a tabloid.

#135 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

thanks to someone from Mi6 forums...someone mention about Eve and her gun training as She also added that most of her gun training had been using a Walther PPK......thanks to Commander_Skyfall from Mi6 again who found this quote

#136 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

got this from Mi6 forum member who found that she could be MP

http://www.dailymail...hits-beach.html

"I'm not sure yet how much travel will be involved in filming the new Bond film, Skyfall. There will certainly be some exotic locations – I've heard India being mentioned – but as Miss Moneypenny I'll probably get no further than Pinewood Studios."

#137 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

got this from Mi6 forum member who found that she could be MP

http://www.dailymail...hits-beach.html

"I'm not sure yet how much travel will be involved in filming the new Bond film, Skyfall. There will certainly be some exotic locations – I've heard India being mentioned – but as Miss Moneypenny I'll probably get no further than Pinewood Studios."

Interesting article 007jamesbond, I can't tell if they're just trolling us or if this article is true. I find it odd that she just placed Moneypenny in there as if everyone knew.

#138 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Okay so how come in the very same paper in the interview with Naomie Harris it says and I quote:
"Despite speculation that she was to star as Miss Moneypenny, Harris reveals exclusively to Live that this was never under discussion. 'The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour. But Eve is not remotely office-bound'."
So which is it? Don't you just love the British tabloid press. Couldn't get thier stories to match even in the same edition of a paper if their life depeneded on it.

Hmmm, I'm inclined to believe that there may be no Moneypenny at all at this stage, and that rumours have just snowballed. They may save a moneypenny introduction for the next film, so as to save some surprises still and not blow them all in the one film. This one has plenty already from the sounds of things, especially as it already has a new Q!

#139 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

Seems to me that the article was written before they started shooting Skyfall, because India is still mentioned among the locations of the movie, while we know that it has been deleted. Interestingly, the article is signed by Naomie Harris herself, so hearing from her untrue informations about the upcoming movie wouldn't make sense.

thanks to someone from Mi6 forums...someone mention about Eve and her gun training as She also added that most of her gun training had been using a Walther PPK......thanks to Commander_Skyfall from Mi6 again who found this quote

Here you can read the full article including some interesting tidbits about the Ladies' roles :

http://www.dailymail...arlohe-007.html

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 16 January 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#140 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'd listen to Live. For one, they have quoted Harris directly on the matter. And secodnly, they're not a tabloid.

You do know it's the Sunday supplement of a tabloid, don't you?

#141 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

I do now. I had it confused with another Live.

Tabloid or no, they still quote Harris saying she is not Moneypenny. And while they are a tabloid and therefore inherently sleazy, they are not stupid enough to make up a quote.

#142 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Okay so how come in the very same paper in the interview with Naomie Harris it says and I quote: "Despite speculation that she was to star as Miss Moneypenny, Harris reveals exclusively to Live that this was never under discussion. 'The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour. But Eve is not remotely office-bound'." So which is it? Don't you just love the British tabloid press. Couldn't get thier stories to match even in the same edition of a paper if their life depeneded on it.

Excellent - I hadn't heard that quote before. I'll interpret that as putting the Moneypenny thing to bed rather firmly. I'm very pleased :-)

The "as Ms Moneypenny" quote just doesn't sound genuine.

#143 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

So we can start a rumor that she's playng Loelia Ponsonby?

#144 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Let's start a rumour she'll be playing the PPK. "Walther" would be deviously clever code name for her. Also Bond would have lot's of fun with her travelling in his 'The Bible - To Be Read as Literature'. Or his inside-belt holster...

#145 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Harris is playing Eve Adamswife.

#146 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Tabloid or no, they still quote Harris saying she is not Moneypenny. And while they are a tabloid and therefore inherently sleazy, they are not stupid enough to make up a quote.

Oh yes they are.

It is tired 'journalism', spinning out a travel supplement that most people would bin with not very interesting or flattering photos of someone who happens to now be a Bond Girl. Harris just agrees to take her appearance / endorsement fee and the hacks fill in the gaps as badly as they can. That is how it works - especially at the racist, homophobic, slanderous rag that is the Daily Mail.

The LIVE supplement was not bad (interesting to see about 12 official SKYFALL snaps including Fiennes and the Persian cat - maybe) but poorly printed.

#147 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Oh yes they are.

Tabloids know that they can get away with saying whatever they like, knowing full well that their reputations precede them and so that, in the event of someone objecting, they can say "you should know known better - you were reading a tabloid". But as soon as they go making up quotes and falsely attributing them to somebody, they cross a line that the "but we're a tabloid" defence cannot protect them from. Especially after the phone-hacking scandals.

It also makes no sense for The Daily Mail to insist that Naomie Harris is Moneypenny - as they have been doing for months - only for them to invent quotes contradicting this for their Sunday extra supplement. Unless they know she is not Moneypenny and so are laying the groundwork for them to back out with their "dignity" intact. Even if this is exactly what they're doing, making up quotes and attibuting them to Harris gets them nothing.

#148 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Col. Sun's already confirmed that she's playing Moneypenny. That's good enough for me.

#149 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just how above-board and decent the British press are (or sections of it like the Daily Mail) are currently under a certain amount of scrutiny in Britain right now (check the Leveson Enquiry and the filmed interviews with the likes of Hugh Grant to see how our press operates).

The best thing about the Mail's is she/isn't she back and forth is to forget about it. The Bond camp have got their column space regardless. That is all the article/s needed to do.

#150 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, they're just trying to parasitize our enthusiasm. It's interesting that there's nothing quite like the Daily Mail in the United States. There's Fox News, but that's not quite the same, since FNC doesn't really report on entertainment gossip.