This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Confirmed: Naomie Harris is NOT playing Moneypenny.

238 replies to this topic

#211 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

If the new M intends to spend as much time following Bond around in the field as his predecessor did, he could use someone more capable than Tanner or Villiers (or Mitchell) for backup.

If, however, he stays in London like he should, he won't need a trained and experienced minder.

If Naomi Harris becomes Moneypenny, I'll be fine with it - if she doesn't, I'll still be fine with it. Either way, I'll probably have to stay away from the boards until the bleating from the disappointed faction dies down.

#212 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Question is, what happened to Tobias Menzies' Villiers character, essentially Mr. Moneypenny.

#213 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

My brother says I look like him.

I thought he was practically a non-entity, as was Tanner in QoS.

I guess I must look like a non-entity.

#214 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

For all the faults of the Brosnan era, at least the MI6 people had some personality. In the last two films, the MI6 staff has been just a gaggle of interchangeable gray-faced sycophants. It makes the MI6 scenes very bleak and unappealing. Every interaction has a Scrooge-Cratchit vibe.

#215 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

It's been denied again:-

http://www.thesun.co...n-Istanbul.html

Suggestions that Miss Moneypenny would return in the form of 35-year-old Pirates Of The Caribbean actress Naomie Harris are untrue.

She said: “No, my character is Eve and she is a field agent.“We see her at the very beginning on a mission with Bond and she is very much a capable MI6 agent.”

In fact Naomie spent eight months getting fit for the role and said: “I did flexibility training by doing yoga, I did stamina training by doing jogging. “I was then out on the gun range twice a week, learning to shoot rifles, Walther PPKs and Glocks.” Even though Eve will be tough, as with all Bond girls she still has to look sexy. And Naomie has had to endure running around in the heat of Turkey dressed in leather.
She said: “She is a field agent so she has very practical clothes, although she also has to be a bit sexy, so instead of normal trousers she has leather ones.”

#216 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Mmm...leather.

#217 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

http://www.cinemable...-Set-30713.html

Naomie Harris isn't Moneypenny, but she's not a throwaway character

Eve is out in the field, totally different from Moneypenny," Harris was quick to explain. "I'm a field agent definitely, not a secretary." And a field agent who offers Harris one of the biggest, maybe best roles of her career-- "I was really excited [when I read the script]. largely because of my part, selfishly. I was very excited. I didn't realize that I would have that size part."

#218 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Mrs Gale or Mrs Peel?

#219 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Cool report, JC. Thanks for linking it.

As long as none of the pigeons in the market scene wink, I'm good.

#220 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

As long as none of the pigeons in the market scene wink, I'm good.

I believe Wilson will be doing his cameo in this sequence, in full pigeon garb.

#221 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Can't take credit, all the links used were found from this very forum, I just noticed parts relating to this thread...

#222 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

More here http://collider.com/...stanbul/163195/

#223 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

my bet is that Eve is model after Gala brand........she wont have any love scene just one or two kiss scenes

#224 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

If Eve does turn out to be Moneypenny - I will file all of EON's future denials in the circular filing bin, (i.e., trash can).....

#225 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I already did - Denying is part of the film business.

#226 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I already did - Denying is part of the film business.

Agreed. In fact, there have been so many denials about this Moneypenny situation, that it's made me naturally suspicious!

#227 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

I suppose we'll find out once the film is out. Not much point in keeping it secret after that, is there?

#228 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Ok then. That press release was a total lie then.

#229 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, pretty much. Just like how Marion Cotillard confirmed she was NOT playing Talia al Ghul. And how Benedict Cumberbatch has confirmed is NOT playing Khan in Into Darkness....

#230 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

^ I was about to mention that example.

#231 Mallory

Mallory

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Nuh uh, Benedict is not playing Khan.

#232 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

And a well-played one. I have no complaints.

#233 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I heard he is playing some guy named Robert April.

#234 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

At this stage it is just as possible that he could be Khan as he couldn't...but what is almost certain is that he won't just be a guy named John Harrison!

The fact that they originally looked for Latino Actors for the role, they have had several Wrath of Khan references in the trailers and 9 minutes preview along with the introduction of Carol Marcus (who first appeared in Wrath of Khan) suggests to me that despite some denials by the cast and crew their is certainly enough of a Khan feeling going into this film to make him one of the more likely villains for the sequel (he is also probably the only Star Trek villain with some sort of name recognition, so if he did have a shock name reveal it would get some reaction from most of the audience rather than from just the Trekkies.)

#235 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

"The Mystery of 'John Harrison'". A detective story worthy of Sherlock Holmes, if you catch my drift! ;-) The name "Gary Mitchell" was accidentally dropped by a cast member during filming of Star Trek Into Darkness. Wasn't Mitchell the Enterprise crewman who was taken over by an extra-terrestrial force and gained super-being-going-on-god-like powers in one of the early episodes of the 1960s series? Is it possible that's who "Harrison" is?

#236 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I don't think it could really be called a "press release" - in an interview Harris said...

‘The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour. But Eve is not remotely office-bound. She gets to see plenty of action. That meant a lot of gun training."

Some people read this as confirmation that she was not Moneypenny, but it was just a bit of misdirection.

If you read it again with the benefit of hindsight, she actually does not deny that Eve is Eve Moneypenny.

#237 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Is the fact that her first name is "Eve" a new development, or did I miss some previous reference to it somewhere? I don't think I have, though.

#238 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Is the fact that her first name is "Eve" a new development, or did I miss some previous reference to it somewhere? I don't think I have, though.

SKYFALL is the first movie to give Miss Moneypenny a real first name - as opposed to the affectionate nickname "Penny". Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.

#239 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

SKYFALL is the first movie to give Miss Moneypenny a real first name - as opposed to the affectionate nickname "Penny". Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.

As far as the literary Bond is concerned, Fleming never cared to give Moneypenny (avery minor character in the novels) a first name. 

The first ever official IFP project to do so was, to the best of myknowledge, The Moneypenny Diaries. Her first name was Jane there, and I remember reading that Sam Weinberg chose it because parents with such a long name as "Moneypenny" would probably give a short first name to their offspring. I guess SKYFALL writers had the same thought :)