This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Confirmed: Naomie Harris is NOT playing Moneypenny.

238 replies to this topic

#31 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Lois Maxwell was the best follow by Samantha Bond as the second best in my view. It going to be hard to top them two in my view, whoever gets the role. Caroline Bliss coming in last. Any way I DON'T want to sound like a racist, but a black Miss Moneypenny can that really work in the bond movies.

I would say so. I've enjoyed Wright as Leiter as much as I've enjoyed a blonde OO7. If the actor breathes life into the character after said character has been done and done again, who can complain about who that actor is?

#32 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

Lois Maxwell was the best follow by Samantha Bond as the second best in my view. It going to be hard to top them two in my view, whoever gets the role. Caroline Bliss coming in last. Any way I DON'T want to sound like a racist, but a black Miss Moneypenny can that really work in the bond movies.

I would say so. I've enjoyed Wright as Leiter as much as I've enjoyed a blonde OO7. If the actor breathes life into the character after said character has been done and done again, who can complain about who that actor is?

She is a brit, I don't see why she can't. :tup:

#33 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

Have any of the Moneypennys been particularly sexy or attractive to her degree? Personally, I'd say not, though each of them was quite pretty. But again, these are surface issues which shouldn't matter. I'm just sayin'...

#34 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

I had a thing for Samantha Bond.....still do as a matter of fact. ;)

#35 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

I loved her with her hair longer, as in GE. Just my preference. Bliss was great when she removed those windshield-sized glasses that hid her looks better than Clark Kent could ever hope for.

#36 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

:)

#37 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

Actually I'd be quite happy if she's Moneypenny. I would also have been happy if she turned out to be Blofeld. But if it's to be Eve Moneypenny, OK.

#38 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

She's British and I think she's a great actress. I just hope they're not going to waste her talent by just having her sit at a desk and respond to Bond's quips.

#39 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

I loved her with her hair longer, as in GE. Just my preference. Bliss was great when she removed those windshield-sized glasses that hid her looks better than Clark Kent could ever hope for.

... And Lois Maxwell was particularly pretty in YOLT.

#40 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

yes, but that is not required. Lois Maxwell was Canadian.

#41 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

IF Harris turns out to be Moneypenny - or a version thereof, obviously - I can't see EON getting much repeat business out of her. Harris has a good career; I can't see her popping up every couple of years to look doe-eyed at Craig from behnid an office desk for a few fleeting minutes.

Of course, that would be irrelevant if, as I suspect thus far, SKYFALL turns out to be Craig's swansong. Re-boot button pressed. New Bond, new M, new continuity. New Moneypenny. Again...

Personally, I can't quite understand the need for EON to co-opt the name Moneypenny, a fairly insignificant character in the books and only memorable from the movies as a result of how Terence Young, Richard Maibaum and Lois Maxwell developed the character. Can't EON think of a momeorable name of their own for a leading female - and just leave Penny behind a damned desk? :confused:

And for all those smart-[censored] journalists with their prepared questions, rather than just asking Naomi about her fitness and training reqime, why didn't anyone think to ask if she'd been tutored in shorthand (for those who remember what that was), computer and secretarial skills???? :D

#42 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

It is worth noting that the Daily Mail also promotes homophobia, racism and a very white agenda. I am just surprised that they even featured a photo of Harris, what with her being from the colonial side of the Daily Mail's English country garden.

And isn't MONEYPENNY's first name Jane?

#43 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

It is worth noting that the Daily Mail also promotes homophobia, racism and a very white agenda. I am just surprised that they even featured a photo of Harris, what with her being from the colonial side of the Daily Mail's English country garden.

And isn't MONEYPENNY's first name Jane?

That's not fair. The DM is an equal opportunities source of bigotry; isn't its ace entertaintment reporter, Mr Baarzil Whambambigboy?

Fleming's Moneypenney doesn't have a christian name as she's a superfluous nobody. Weinberg's Moneypenny is "Jane", so I guess that has become the accepted first name. And EON clearly wouldn't mess with Fleming's characters, either. ;)

#44 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Baz is not going to let this drop. Form today’s Mail...

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

This bit is interesting

Javier Bardem and the little-known French actress Berenice Marlohe will play the latest villains.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Baz is not going to let this drop.

Of course not. He backed Naomie Harris as being Moneypenny. It was the only role he named - and the press conference showed her to be a field agent named Eve. There's a lot riding on him being right; if he suddenly backflips, he loses credibiltiy. If you actually read the article, it's written in a way that suggests the Daily Mail did not report it in the first place, but rather, that they are simply reporting what someone else has reported.

#46 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Baz is not going to let this drop.

Of course not. He backed Naomie Harris as being Moneypenny. It was the only role he named - and the press conference showed her to be a field agent named Eve. There's a lot riding on him being right; if he suddenly backflips, he loses credibiltiy. If you actually read the article, it's written in a way that suggests the Daily Mail did not report it in the first place, but rather, that they are simply reporting what someone else has reported.

Yes, I did “Actually read” it.

Just pointing out that he has written two (yes two) articles in the short time since the press conference, still insisting that she’s Moneypenny.

He’s going to look even more foolish highlighting this (if it turns out to be his one mistake) instead of banging on about all the things he has been right about.

So, I’m simply pointing out what’s going on with him, as his track record has been remarkably good on the whole and it is what this thread is about, after all.

#47 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Naomi Watts (or, Naomie Harris, as she's more correctly known).

???????
They're two different people !!!!

#48 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Naomi Watts (or, Naomie Harris, as she's more correctly known).

Do you think the tabloids would make that distinction? Do you think The Grauniad would notice if they published it?

#49 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Well now I'd rather it wasn't true, I don't like the idea that the Daily Mail may have gotten something right....I'm not ready for the world to end!

#50 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Errrr...

Posted Image

Craig looks great.

#51 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Errrr...

Posted Image

Craig looks great.

That's the Daily Fail being the Daily Fail lol

#52 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Now I do wonder, was Craig already 43 in 2005? And managed to stay 43 for six years?

#53 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well hopefully this isn't true, I imagine they would've said something at the presser if it was.

Why? They didn't reveal very much of anything plot or character wise and the way Harris announced her character's name "Eve" seemed to me there was a secret twist or surprise we will have to wait and see.

Any way I DON'T want to sound like a racist, but a black Miss Moneypenny can that really work in the bond movies.

I don't get it...why wouldn't a black Moneypenny work? I understand you aren't trying to be racist, but I don't see where you could possibly be going with that comment. Harris looked like a dime at that press conference. Yummy...

#54 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Any way I DON'T want to sound like a racist, but a black Miss Moneypenny can that really work in the bond movies.

Well....I mean...you do sound racist. This ^^^ is racist.

#55 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I, personally don't think that she will be playing Moneypenny. As others have said it would be a wierd transition to go from a field agent to M's personal assistant. The fact that she has been working out for her role also leads me to believe that she will be playing the part they described. Having one name is nothing new either, you only have to go back to the last film for one, agent Fields.

#56 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

If you “DON'T want to sound like a racist” you could always try NOT saying things like that. Just a suggestion.

#57 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

You can't always get what you want. Or don't want, for that matter.

#58 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

well in the new Batman movie, Marion Cotillard's character has a name that's been released to the press- but she's almost definitely playing another more famous character so it does happen that there are some sneaky things in press releases

#59 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Perhaps she’ll be assigned to fetching his shoes, or maybe just maybe she got the role because of her talent as an actress and not her skin colour.

#60 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Perhaps she’ll be assigned to fetching his shoes, or maybe just maybe she got the role because of her talent as an actress and not her skin colour.

Let's not forget that Bond fetched Fiona Volpe's shoes as well. ;)