2519 replies to this topic

#91 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

Wow. Doing a bit of SOPRANOS surfing just now, it seems that **BEWARE ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE SOPRANOS SPOILER** what I theorised about in my above post
Spoiler
What the heck else could they possibly have in store?!?!?!?!

#92 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

Which message board are you referring to? I'm not a member of any SOPRANOS sites, but would be interested in having a look at a good one.

Television Without Pity's forum is what I read; it has pretty good discussion and most of the members are quite intelligent...

http://forums.televi...p?showforum=244

#93 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

The sci-fi angle is very appropriate for Indy 4. The film takes place in 1957 and a very important event occurred on October 4, 1957. Sputnik. The first satellite to orbit the earth. It marked the beginning of the space race and a new era in human history. The United State was in a state of panic because Russia was getting the upper hand.

What a fantastic point in history to revisit Indiana Jones. Indy would be seen as a relic of the past as the world turns to the future. Indy would have to find his place in this new world. What would be cooler then Indy discovering the possible existence of extraterrestrial life through his archeological research.

Films of the 1950s tapped into Cold War paranoia presenting alien invasion films as allegories of the Red Scare that spread across America. By setting Indy 4 in this time period Lucas and Speilberg can tap into this mind set.

Indy in the 1930s = B-Grade Saturday matinee serials
Indy in the 1950s = B-Grade Sci-fi invasion movies

Lucas and Speilberg are paying homage to their childhood. I for one am very excited.

#94 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Which message board are you referring to? I'm not a member of any SOPRANOS sites, but would be interested in having a look at a good one.

Television Without Pity's forum is what I read; it has pretty good discussion and most of the members are quite intelligent...

http://forums.televi...p?showforum=244

Thanks. Some interesting reading there. My own prediction is that it'll be revealed that all the dream sequences in THE SOPRANOS actually represent reality and everything else was just Tony's dream. Wouldn't that be wild? :cooltongue:

Back to Indy - Gobi-1, that's an excellent post. I think you may have nailed what Lucas and Spielberg have in mind for INDY 4, and I hope it turns out like that.

BTW, I imagine that Spielberg is familiar with the Tintin book FLIGHT 714 TO SYDNEY, which strongly suggests the existence of aliens without actually showing very much.

#95 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

You make some good points, Gobi. And I know the 1950s goes hand in hand with that extraterrestrial vibe. But still... that INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCER MEN FROM MARS script was so dreadful...

But that said, I'm coming around to it. I imagine it'll ultimately end up feeling similar to the story of the video game INDIANA JONES AND THE INFERNAL MACHINE, which seamlessly blended sci-fi and mythological elements (and also featured Indy going up against the Soviets). Furthermore, I love the South America setting, and the Soviet foes. And I really like the idea of Blanchett as a Soviet baddie (hopefully along the lines of an attractive Rosa Klebb).

My only serious level of concern right now is Karen Allen. She has not aged well, and I wonder if she and Ford will still manage any romantic sparks.

#96 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:40 AM

Starts shooting soon...

http://movies.ign.co...2/792637p1.html

#97 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:10 AM

Posted Image

Christ, nevermind Ford. Get Burt Reynolds to play Jones in Indy IV. And make the giant gold bird/Maltese Falcon-thing from the third pic the artifact he's looking for.

Well, if Burt dressed like that in the film, I'd pay to see it.

And despite the rumours floating around, I'm also taking a wait-and-see stance on most of them. But Gobi-1's theory sounds promising.

#98 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

Filming begins this week from what I understand. Should be interesting. When do you think we'll see a teaser?

#99 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

When do you think we'll see a teaser?

Early fall at the latest. Most "event" films get a teaser trailer a year in advance these days. I can't imagine Lucas and Spielberg doing anything less.

#100 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Lucas says the teaser trailer will debut around Thanksgiving. He's says that the title will be announced then as well. Personally I think we'll get the title sooner then that. I can't remember if I've mentioned this or not but I'm the moderator over at TheForce.net's Indy board so I invite all you Indy fans to come over and join in with the discussion.

TheForce.net Indiana Jones Board
http://boards.thefor..._jones_4/b10265

For all the offical info on Indy 4 check out SPOILERS: JUST THE FACTS II: Everything that is known about Indiana Jones IV . The spoilers are blacked out.

Edited by Gobi-1, 01 June 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#101 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hurt Joins Indiana Jones 4, Connery Not Returning
[font="Arial"]http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20877

[box]Several stars have thrown their hats into the ring to join Harrison Ford and Shia LeBeouf in Indiana Jones' latest whip-cracking adventure. Next year, when the new Indiana Jones movie opens worldwide on May 22, Indy will share the screen with Cate Blanchett, Ray Winstone and John Hurt.

Academy Award

#102 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

John Hurt? Cool!

#103 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Makes an official announcement

#104 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

Hurt's casting came out of nowhere. "A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one."

#105 RogueSpy007

RogueSpy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:18 AM

I was so thrilled to hear that John Hurt has joined the cast. He's always been a fave of mine. He joins a pretty good cast with Cate Blanchett and Ray Winstone.

#106 RogueSpy007

RogueSpy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Yes I know!!!!!!!! Although I am gutted about SC deciding against it, he is getting a little old perhaps for a movie like Indie Jones, maybe they will persuade him to do a cameo in a wheelchair or old folks home or sum such, but the rest of the cast is looking good.

Yeah, I could see that. I wonder though if they will refer to him. If Indy will talk about his dad at all, and we'll find out whatever happened to him. Is he dead, in a nursing hom, etc. I think the rest of the cast is shaping up quite nicely. I'm psyched about who is in this movie.

#107 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:38 AM

I imagine the role of Henry Sr. in INDY IV wasn't big to begin with. Lucas made comments to the effect that writing him out of the film would be really easy to do, so I imagine he wasn't in it much to begin with.

Anyway, I'm glad he's not returning.

#108 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'm really sad that he's not returning, but I must say that's probably the most jovial and happy-go-lucky "statement" I've ever seen him make.

#109 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

Latest: Some shooting will take place in New Mexico (doubling Morocco).

http://www.postchron..._21285499.shtml

#110 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

What?? Moorocco?? That's like the most production friendly country in the non western world and is always used to double for every other country...why are they pulling a Brosnan Bond movie on us? :cooltongue:

#111 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

I'm really sad that he's not returning, but I must say that's probably the most jovial and happy-go-lucky "statement" I've ever seen him make.

I thought it was pretty obvious his publicist wrote it... :cooltongue:

#112 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

What?? Moorocco?? That's like the most production friendly country in the non western world and is always used to double for every other country...why are they pulling a Brosnan Bond movie on us? :cooltongue:

Because New Mexico may be doubling for more then one country. Also screentime is a factor. If the Morocco scene only last five minutes why go all the way there to shoot it. Filming all your desert locations in one place saves time and money.

#113 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Nice to see Cate Blanchet and Ray Winstone in the Cast list, but i think Connery's presence will be missed, but... they did fine without him in Raiders and Temple so i don't see why not this time around.

Roll On Indy IV :cooltongue:

#114 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I know. It just doesn't seem like a Connery quote!

#115 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

Yeah. He must have come across a fiver in the pocket of an old jacket or something.

#116 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:25 AM

Because New Mexico may be doubling for more then one country. Also screentime is a factor. If the Morocco scene only last five minutes why go all the way there to shoot it. Filming all your desert locations in one place saves time and money.

Since when did these films become about saving money? They shot Raiders in Egypt, not Barstow...Temple in India, Crusade in Syria/Venice/Portugal...sheesh.I want my Indy film to be the American stud hero(007)globe trotting franchise and remain authentic...

#117 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Since when did these films become about saving money? They shot Raiders in Egypt, not Barstow...Temple in India, Crusade in Syria/Venice/Portugal...sheesh.I want my Indy film to be the American stud hero(007)globe trotting franchise and remain authentic...

Well, they did shoot "South America" in Hawaii for RAIDERS. Morocco may barely be in INDY IV, so it might not be a big deal at all.

#118 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

So I hadn't heard about the rumor that John Hurt was cast as specifically Abner Ravenwood. I'm sure Hurt will be great in whatever role he plays, but weren't both Karen Allen and Shia LaBeouf (sp?) American? I guess they could do the whole "Well, his wife was an American, so that's why they speak that way" thing, but I would still be surprised if that's the actual case.

#119 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

So I hadn't heard about the rumor that John Hurt was cast as specifically Abner Ravenwood.

It's just speculation, and there's probably nothing to it.'

The rumor being reported over at Rotten Tomatoes is that Hurt is playing Albert Einstein.

#120 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

Raiders did not shoot in Egypt, Temple of Doom did not shoot in India, The Last Crusade did not shoot in Syria. Filming in the actual locations is an exception, not a rule, for the Indy films.

Filming locations:

Raiders of the Lost Ark Budget: 20 Million
Hawaii = South America
University of the Pacific, Stockton, California = Marshall College, Connecticut
Elstree Studios = Himalayas
Coast of France = Mediterranean Sea
Tunisia = Egypt
Tunisia = Crete (or unspecified island in the Mediterranean Sea)
San Francisco = Washington D.C.

Temple of Doom Budget: 28 Million
Elstree Studios = Shanghai
Hamilton Air Force Base, Novato, California, = Shanghai Airport
American River, Placerville, California, Grand Coulee Dam, Columbia River, Washington, Mammoth Mountain, California, Tuolomne River, California, USA, and Yosemite National Park, California = River and waterfalls in India
Sri Lanka = India
Matte Painting = Pankot Palace

The Last Crusade Budget: 38 Million
Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado = Utah
Elstree Studios = Portuguese Coast
Venice = Venice
Tilbury Docks, Essex, England = Venice Docks
Marin County, California = Austria
Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England = Berlin, Germany
Spain, Jordan, Texas = Republic of Hatay (fictional country)

Although the Indy series films all over the world only rarely do they film in the actual locations that are portrayed in the film. Indiana Jones is not authentic, Indiana Jones is fictional.

Edited by Gobi-1, 13 June 2007 - 03:53 AM.