204 replies to this topic

#91 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

It all really depends on the director. If they continue to bring in these strong auteur type directors, then they'll likely end up bringing in their own guy. Unless they're fans of Arnold.

#92 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

It depends on who the director is.  I would like David Arnold to have another chance.

Another chance? He scored 5 Bond films. Besides Barry, he's the only composer ever to do more than one Bond film. 

In terms of composers, I would like Newman to return. If not, a composer who I don't think has brought up so far who might be an interesting choice is Alberto Iglesias who scored Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and The Constant Gardener. Another composer who would be an interesting choice is British composer Max Richter who provided the excellent score for Waltz with Bashir

#93 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

If not, a composer who I don't think has brought up so far who might be an interesting choice is Alberto Iglesias who scored Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and The Constant Gardener.

Excellent choice.

Not familiar with Richter. Will have to check out WALTZ WITH BASHIR.

#94 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

Whoever they get, I would love to hear some less bombastic, more simplistic iterations of the Bond theme used for atmospheric scoring during more-espionage/thriller moments.  That sort of use of the theme is one of my favourite aspects of the earlier Barry scores.  For instance, have the composer  weave in a quiet, jazzy piano arrangement of the theme during a tension-filled foot or car tailing scene.  I love Barry's use of brass as much as the next Bond fan, but right now I'd prefer some more original, creative  arrangements of classic Barry Bond themes rather than composers like Arnold who try to ape Barry's overall style in new compositions and, thus, sound like pastiche.

#95 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

If not, a composer who I don't think has brought up so far who might be an interesting choice is Alberto Iglesias who scored Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and The Constant Gardener.

Not familiar with Richter. Will have to check out WALTZ WITH BASHIR.

A really excellent film. Richter's work, based on the Bashir soundtrack and samples of his other work, is both orchestra/classical and electronic. 

Someone has uploaded a video of fragments from his Bashir score

And here's a more action-y cue

The film's trailer. I highly recommend it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9uoLMhMhs

#96 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

I want a score as memorable and and epic as Barry's score for Thunderball. Preferably by Thomas Newman.

#97 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

I'd like Newman to come back, but funnily enough, I'd like him to be a bit more adventerous. I understand the need to pay respect to the Bond scores of old, especially in the case of Skyfall being the 50th anniversary. I felt that the best tracks on Skyfall's OST were the ones that were more "Newman" and less "Classic Bond/Barry." I felt he really had something going with the slightly electronic synth and guitar in New Digs, Day Wasted, Komodo Dragon, and the end of Granborough Road. I just wish there was more of it.

Edited by TheSilhouette, 11 March 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#98 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

The whole soundtrack was perfect, but I'd love for it to be adventurous as well if he were to return.

#99 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

I'd like Newman to come back, but funnily enough, I'd like him to be a bit more adventerous. I understand the need to pay respect to the Bond scores of old, especially in the case of Skyfall being the 50th anniversary. I felt that the best tracks on Skyfall's OST were the ones that were more "Newman" and less "Classic Bond/Barry." I felt he really had something going with the slightly electronic synth and guitar in New Digs, Day Wasted, Komodo Dragon, and the end of Granborough Road. I just wish there was more of it.

I feel much the same way.  I also loved the second half of Brave New World and Shanghai Drive for the same reasons.  Those cues helped bring back a lot of espionage thriller atmosphere that has been missing for a long time.

#100 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

I really wish Shanghai Drive was much much longer, for it's such an amazing track from the soundtrack and easily my most listened to track as well.

#101 the man with the BB gun

the man with the BB gun

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

- Rob Dougan - Speed Me Towards Death

#102 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ennio Morricone

#103 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Only works in Italy and with Giuseppe Tornatore.

#104 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Either David Arnold, John Williams or Thomas Newman.

#105 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

John Williams is in his 80s I wonder if he'll even do the new Star Wars film, a Bond film with him would history in the making.  I also wont mind if either Arnold or Newman return. 

#106 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

With J.J. Abrams doing Star Wars Episode VII, He'll most likely have Michael Ghiachino score.

I want Newman to return for Bond 24.

#107 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

John Williams is in his 80s I wonder if he'll even do the new Star Wars film, a Bond film with him would history in the making.  I also wont mind if either Arnold or Newman return. 

True, he should have made it during late Moore/Dalton/early Brosnan years. Now it's too late.

#108 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I find Williams generic and his scores a bit over-powering.

#109 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Williams... generic? 

Two words that just do not fit together.

#110 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Edited by DominicGreene, 15 April 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#111 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Williams... generic? 

Meant to put his LATER scores generic.

#112 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

Williams... generic? 

Which ones?

#113 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

I love his Superman theme. 

#114 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

Williams... generic? 

Which ones?

Post Harry Potter.

#115 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

C´mon, you judge this legendary composer with a legendary output based on TINTIN, WAR HORSE and LINCOLN to be generic (which none of these scores are)?

#116 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

I didn't say all his scores are generic, just basically everything post Harry Potter 2000/01 and up I don't really care for. There was nothing memorable about his score for Lincoln, let alone anything memorable about that movie, which I found awful.

Different tastes, my friend.

#117 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I didn't say all his scores are generic, just basically everything post Harry Potter 2000/01 and up I don't really care for. There was nothing memorable about his score for Lincoln, let alone anything memorable about that movie, which I found awful.

Different tastes, my friend.

I entirely see where you're coming from - as a lifelong fan of Williams, who still remains my favourite film composer, it was almost heartbreaking to see his work in the 00s go from iconic and legendary to very good. However I'd put the watershed moment at Harry Potter 3 (2004). It's a really good score, and one of the most varied and imaginative from any composer let alone from Williams.

But I don't want to bash Williams - even his lesser works are better than most of his contemporaries (of any given year) and certainly no worse than the missteps by John Barry and Ennio Morricone (the other two of my Top 3 film composers); and he is into his eighties now, which must be taken into consideration... Barry and Morricone had retired from film by that point.

C´mon, you judge this legendary composer with a legendary output based on TINTIN, WAR HORSE and LINCOLN to be generic (which none of these scores are)?

Would 'indistinct' be a better description? I mean, they're still obviously John Williams...but seeing as his methodology is to create catchy themes and build scores around them, his themes for these are forgettable.

#118 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I disagree. His themes for WAR HORSE and LINCOLN are wonderful IMO.

#119 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

A.I. ARITFICIAL INTELLIGENCE has got to be one of the finest scores Williams has ever written.

#120 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I disagree. His themes for WAR HORSE and LINCOLN are wonderful IMO.

yes, wonderful - but how well do you recall them, and can you hum them off by heart? that is what i mean by 'indistinct' and 'forgettable'.

(btw, i'm not saying good film scores must be unforgettable and hummable)

A.I. ARITFICIAL INTELLIGENCE has got to be one of the finest scores Williams has ever written.

Agreed!