#181 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

I love John Williams´ work.  

But I don´t think that he could (or would want to) score a Bond film.  There´s nothing in his style that suggests what Bond needs.

Oh my. I completely agree with you, SAF.

Even great composers aren't suitable for everything.

#182 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I was just thinking since John Williams will be in the spotlight again after Star Wars Episode VII, imagine if they got him on board.

#183 0024

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

I love John Williams´ work.  

But I don´t think that he could (or would want to) score a Bond film.  There´s nothing in his style that suggests what Bond needs.

Oh my. I completely agree with you, SAF.

Even great composers aren't suitable for everything.

That's how I feel about Thomas Newman.  Very good composer.  Academy Award nominated.  But, not well-suited for a James Bond movie, though.

I have this music in my head when I watch Skyfall, and it's a what-if David Arnold soundtrack.  Arnold just nails the tone of the film, fills it with romance and exoticism.  And his propulsive action cues are incredible.

Edited by 0024, 05 March 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#184 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I wonder what are the chances Arnold will return now...

#185 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

I've just been surfing the 'net and have visited the MI6 James Bond website. There's a page there - it must have started yesterday because it wasn't there before then - about keeping up with Bond 24 production news. The page lists the expected cast and production team, including Sam Mendes as director...... and David Arnold as composer. Now, that is interesting, and unexpected, if true. I was under the impression that with Sam Mendes as director, his long time creative collaborator Thomas Newman would more than likely be on board Bond 24 as composer.

Is this just a bit of "predictive text" on the part of MI6? David Arnold's done it before so he's the most likely to be asked back? Or is there more to it?

#186 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Nothing but speculation.  Strange, by the way, since it would be much more probable to speculate that Thomas Newman will return with Mendes.  

If Mendes had wanted to use David Arnold he would have hired him for SKYFALL.  Obviously, Mendes did not consider Arnold to be good enough.

Personally, I would love Newman to return. I enjoy his score for SKYFALL immensely.

#187 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Personally, I would love Newman to return. I enjoy his score for SKYFALL immensely.

It's one of my favourite Bond scores. 

#188 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Nothing but speculation.  Strange, by the way, since it would be much more probable to speculate that Thomas Newman will return with Mendes.  

If Mendes had wanted to use David Arnold he would have hired him for SKYFALL.  Obviously, Mendes did not consider Arnold to be good enough.

Just because Arnold didn't score Skyfall, doesn't mean Mendes doesn't like him.

If I were a movie director and I had a special relationship with a certain composer (like Spielberg with Williams and Mendes with Newman), and I were chosen to direct a Bond movie, I'd ask him to compose the score of a movie, regardless of who came before.

#189 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

True.  But that´s the same reason why Mendes will want to keep Newman.

Also, one could argue that despite Mendes´ association with Newman using Arnold as an established Bond composer would have been just as possible.  The fact that Mendes did not want to rely on him speaks volumes.  I know many directors who only work with their friends and cronies, never giving others a chance although these people are absolutely capable and qualified.

Of course, Newman is both as well.  So, win-win for us.  Not for Arnold, though.

#190 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Arnold wasn't even an option for SF if I remember correctly because he was doing the Olympics.

It's exciting that we have both Newman and Arnold. 

#191 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I guess he did the Olympics because he wasn´t an option for SF.

But before I sound like an Arnold hater: I´m definitely not.  I think he did magnificent Bond scores, I think he is underrated and I think he would deserve another chance.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 09 March 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#192 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Arnold wasn't even an option for SF if I remember correctly because he was doing the Olympics.

It's exciting that we have both Newman and Arnold. 

In an interview, he said that his work for the Olympics was not the reason he didn't score Skyfall. 

http://www.cultbox.c...nterview-part-2

I know it won't ever happen, but I think it'd be awesome if Bond 24 score was made by a collaboration of Arnold and Newman.

#193 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

But before I sound like an Arnold hater: I´m definitely not.  I think he did magnificent Bond scores, I think he is underrated and I think he would deserve another chance.

I'm hoping for Newman but wouldn't be too disappointed if Arnold came back. His Craig era scores are definitely his best. 

#194 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Me, that's who should score Bond 24.

#195 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Perhaps Arnold is at the time in his career when he'll only come back every other film like Barry did... and then come back for his finale run...

#196 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

It seems they're adding more and more Nolan Batman's pieces to the crew. This could mean two things:

1) Hans Zimmer could really be an option, and I'd love that if they decide to continue to explore Bond dark side. 

2) They are preparing the field for the next director. Guess who?

#197 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

I don´t think this means anything but Mendes looking for a suitable replacement for people he worked with before.

And if Newman does not return I´m pretty sure that EON will want to stick with their own guy (David Arnold).

#198 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm hoping for another Newman soundtrack. His Skyfall soundtrack had more depth than any Arnold one for my money.

#199 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Since I would imagine that we're faced with a choice between Newman and Arnold, I'll take Newman hands down.  I'm still hoping, however, for them to bring someone in who will really bring a completely new direction to the sound of the franchise.

#200 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

I have a good feeling that Newman will return. It'll give him an either further opportunity to explore and come up with new themes and sounds. I think after getting a BAFTA win and an Oscar nomination, EON would like him back. Especially over Arnold.

#201 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Is there even a realistic chance not to ask Newman back? As was pointed out, the feedback to his work on SKYFALL was largely positive if memory serves, his tracks bringing in some long needed breath of fresh air. Seems like a no-brainer he's going to be asked at least. And why would he turn down?

#202 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Using Newman is a step in the right direction. Going back to Arnold is just going backwards.

#203 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

Well, to some extent Arnold counts as 'family', a uniquely strong recommendation in the industry with Eon. I applaud them for it, it's become rare in entertainment that not everything is decided by the guys with the heavy cash briefcases. A return of Arnold would not be all that surprising.

And yet I have to say there has got to be some kind of blood exchange if a production company is to remain creative and relevant. New ideas, new approaches must be searched and found, constantly. The question is how to get this with the ever-same names and faces?

#204 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well, to some extent Arnold counts as 'family', a uniquely strong recommendation in the industry with Eon. I applaud them for it, it's become rare in entertainment that not everything is decided by the guys with the heavy cash briefcases. A return of Arnold would not be all that surprising.

And yet I have to say there has got to be some kind of blood exchange if a production company is to remain creative and relevant. New ideas, new approaches must be searched and found, constantly. The question is how to get this with the ever-same names and faces?

Completely agree. Newman was fresh blood. Logan was fresh blood. They spruced up a formula that had become stale after several films. I also agree with you Ace, going back to David Arnold is going in the wrong direction. The Bond franchise needs to move forward, not back.

#205 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

It would perhaps not be such a stretch if Arnold was known for radically changing or updating his own style, some artists are really quite unpredictable - in a good kind-of-way - compared to their contemporaries or their own output. But Arnold is hardly known for radical variety. Arnold, whatever else you may think of him, first and foremost is a bank; you won't get any radical diversions from him. By far the most surprising work of his was 'Shaken and Stirred', an album I love to this day. But the greater vision, the new and unexpected style is hardly what Arnold has on offer. I feel sure he is still growing in his field. But Bond is not the task to make this guy use his entire potential. He will still have to find that elsewhere.

Edited by Dustin, 26 October 2014 - 07:48 PM.