This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who Is Your Favourite James Bond?

604 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Is Your Favourite James Bond?

Who is your FAVORITE James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

Timothy Dalton.

He was cool, dark, and perhaps the most believably dangerous Bond of all time. When I think of 007, I think of a cold, ruthless, deadly secrent agent above all else. Sexual magnetism and tongue-in-cheek humor take a back seat to gritty realism when it comes to depicting the rawness of a government spy with a licence to kill. Nobody did that better than Dalton, and it's a shame he didn't get one or two more outings to showcase his masterful talent at capturing the essence of James Bond.

Still, as a rabid Daltonite, I'm proud to see the actor with only two Bond films under his belt hold his own against the two with seven Bond movies to their names apiece, in addition to besting Brosnan. It says a lot about the quality of Dalton's performance when he could bring the character back to his roots and redefine the entire series in such a brief period of time.

#182 Adler 001

Adler 001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

What a question ?

Sir Sean, of course...

#183 ShangDoh

ShangDoh

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:07 AM

Sean Connery, no one can beat him.

#184 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:13 AM

Welcome to the CommanderBond.net Forums ShangDoh. :tup:

#185 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:24 AM

Dalton, without a question. All are wonderful actors, but Dalton is very close to Fleming's Bond.

#186 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:37 AM

Dalton, without a question. All are wonderful actors, but Dalton is very close to Fleming's Bond.

View Post

Did you vote?

#187 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

1. Sean Connery
2. Timothy Dalton
3. Pierce Brosnan
4. George Lazenby
5. Roger Moore

I haven't(but I'm about ready to) read the books yet, so I haven't found the man in my head.(GET HIM OUT!!!)

#188 Xenia Onatopps No 1 Fan

Xenia Onatopps No 1 Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Connery....The Official Original Bond And The Ones All The Other Bonds Try To Emulate (IMO)

#189 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

Sean Connery hands down.

"I-I'm afraid I don't get it..."

"Oh...I think you do, Trebek."

#190 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:18 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Lazenby is a bit low in this poll? I figured Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan would all be ahead of Fleming's Bond just based off of familiarity.

#191 The Beast

The Beast

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

Pierce all da way. Only Pierce. Forever.

#192 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

Where is Daniel Craig in this poll?

He is an option in the questionairre when you sign up for the forum.

#193 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:06 AM

View Post

A fair point, I will add him in.

#194 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

View Post

A fair point, I will add him in.

View Post

Thank you.

If possible I would like to change my vote to Daniel Craig.

#195 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='26 January 2006 - 02:06'][quote name='Chicago103' date='25 January 2006 - 18:33']Where is Daniel Craig in this poll?

#196 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:28 AM

Tim Dalton is #1 in my book, however it's too early to state my opinion on Craig...let's see him in a Bond film first. Even then we cannot really judge, but we'll see.

Edited by James Boldman, 26 January 2006 - 08:29 AM.

#197 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

[quote name='Jim' date='26 January 2006 - 03:20'][quote name='Qwerty' date='26 January 2006 - 02:06'][quote name='Chicago103' date='25 January 2006 - 18:33']Where is Daniel Craig in this poll?

#198 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

Is there any way a mod can change my vote from Roger Moore to Daniel Craig? I probably should have asked that Craig be on the poll first and once he was there then voted for him. I think Craig will be the best out of a gut feeling I have as well as excitement and enthusiasm for him.

Edited by Chicago103, 27 January 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#199 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

In order to fully appreciate what Timothy Dalton brought to 007, one would have to have been a James Bond fan before he was cast. The long and successful reign of Roger Moore was an achievement in itself but the Press had been rather spoilt by 14 years of media-friendly frolics. The 15th Eon Bond film was a character-led tale of intrigue that was difficult to summarize for the press. Said press were already antagonized by a new leading man who kept an air of mystery about his personal life. Dalton

#200 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

[quote name='ACE' date='27 January 2006 - 22:06']In order to fully appreciate what Timothy Dalton brought to 007, one would have to have been a James Bond fan before he was cast. The long and successful reign of Roger Moore was an achievement in itself but the Press had been rather spoilt by 14 years of media-friendly frolics. The 15th Eon Bond film was a character-led tale of intrigue that was difficult to summarize for the press. Said press were already antagonized by a new leading man who kept an air of mystery about his personal life. Dalton

#201 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

ACE, you do your name justice with this terrific post. I'm going to frame it and hang it in my living room.

Nothing to add.

O, wait a minute, one tiny thing.

View Post

Agreed. ACE is ace. :tup: One "cool little moment" in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS I'd like to add:

Look closely and watch Dalton smiling wickedly to himself, for just a fraction of a second, right when all the chaos starts to kick off at the airbase with Koskov, Necros and the Afghan resistance fighters, as though he's thinking: "Okay, LET'S ROCK! BRING IT ON!" It's easy to miss, but it's pretty neat if you catch it. I think so, anyway.

Very cool. Very Fleming (erm, maybe). The bastard's enjoying this!

Indeed, Dalton's performance during that whole sequence is utterly cool, especially the bit where he notices that the plane is about to crash into the mountain yet still finds time for a quip about disarming a bomb or Necros getting the boot or whatever.

I think Dalton's work in TLD qualifies as the best performance of James Bond ever outside the first handful of Connerys. I have a lot of faith in Craig, but he'd have to go a long way to match Dalton in TLD.

#202 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

ACE, you do your name justice with this terrific post. I'm going to frame it and hang it in my living room.

Nothing to add.

O, wait a minute, one tiny thing.

View Post

Agreed. ACE is ace. :tup: One "cool little moment" in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS I'd like to add:

Look closely and watch Dalton smiling wickedly to himself, for just a fraction of a second, right when all the chaos starts to kick off at the airbase with Koskov, Necros and the Afghan resistance fighters, as though he's thinking: "Okay, LET'S ROCK! BRING IT ON!" It's easy to miss, but it's pretty neat if you catch it. I think so, anyway.

Very cool. Very Fleming (erm, maybe). The bastard's enjoying this!

View Post

I'll add to that a similar moment and the same sly smile he gets after sending Koskov through the pipeline driving with Saunders when he says "Whoever she was I must have scared the living daylights out of her."

#203 J.B.

J.B.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:11 AM

I voted for Brosnan as my favorite. I felt like he was closest to the Connery Bond which I enjoyed so much.

IMO, I think he is closest to the Connery era. What did it for me was to watch Goldfinger and then watch any Brosnan film after that. But, the best ones to watch would be TWINE and DAD. When I did that I could see just how good both of these Bonds were at the one liners, the looks they would give in a situation, and their handling of tough situations. As I watched these it got to where I could see Brosnan doing Goldfinger and Connery doing TWINE, and DAD etc. They were so close to each other in how they would act. It definitely looked to me as if Brosnan had studied Connery before he played the part. And who wouldnt? Connery is considered the best so you study the best to get ideas.

#204 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:30 AM

I voted for Brosnan as my favorite. I felt like he was closest to the Connery Bond which I enjoyed so much.

IMO, I think he is closest to the Connery era. What did it for me was to watch Goldfinger and then watch any Brosnan film after that. But, the best ones to watch would be TWINE and DAD. When I did that I could see just how good both of these Bonds were at the one liners, the looks they would give in a situation, and their handling of tough situations. As I watched these it got to where I could see Brosnan doing Goldfinger and Connery doing TWINE, and DAD etc. They were so close to each other in how they would act. It definitely looked to me as if Brosnan had studied Connery before he played the part. And who wouldnt? Connery is considered the best so you study the best to get ideas.

View Post

So you're basically saying you're rewarding Brosnan as your favorite for being a Connery clone? In that case, why not vote for Connery if he set the standard?

#205 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:28 AM

While reading the Man with the Golden Gun, I clearly could hear Christopher Lee with all of the dialogue in my head, although some of it didn't fit his demographic ("Hey cool cat") but what was interesting to me, was the Bond that kept popping into my head was a bit of a hybrid comprehensive Bond.

Mostly like Pierce Brosnan (the set to his jaw that he gets when he's pissed... ya kno), but with the famous Literary Scar. And Sean Connery's side-arm pistol shot. Roger Moore's Lightheartedness (which I probably would've pictured him throughout the novel if Bond wasn't so Dark at the beginning of the novel), and Timothy Daltons darkness, which ACE has gone over pefectly enough that I needn't say more.

So, I can't really explain it. I suppose it's okay, but for being my first bond novel to read, I can't really say much about it.

Edited by Reflectionist, 18 February 2006 - 07:34 AM.

#206 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

The one and only, Big Tam

#207 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

Pleased to see that Connery is still comfortably in the lead.

#208 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

Welcome to CBn, Overlord. :tup:

#209 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

However, Timothy Dalton was simply too good an actor and presence for the story and dialogue and general direction of the film. A more linear, more direct storyline would have showcased his particular talents for capturing the spirit and essence of the character of James Bond found in the writing of Ian Fleming. His interpretation of Bond will endure and be discovered by those audiences and fans in time. Timothy Dalton was arguably the best James Bond in the entire series.

Wow. What a fabulous post ACE. I wont quote it all, but it was terrific and I have nothing to add to that stunning piece.

#210 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

My favorite Bond actors in order are:

1.) Daniel Craig
2.) Roger Moore
3.) George Lazenby
4.) Timothy Dalton
5.) Pierce Brosnan