This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ranking the Bond songs (main theme & end title)

320 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Main Title Song

Favorite Main Title Song

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 Cmdr. Bond

Cmdr. Bond

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

I think many forget the musical power of Gladys Knight and the songs that supported the Timothy Dalton Movies like The Pretenders. this was superb arrangement.

#212 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

I think many forget the musical power of Gladys Knight and the songs that supported the Timothy Dalton Movies like The Pretenders. this was superb arrangement.

I never really took to Gladys Knight's Licence To Kill, at all. I love Aha's The Living Daylights though, brilliant. B)

#213 Alena

Alena

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:04 AM

:) Maybe The James Bond Theme bcs this song I can hear whenever.
But You know my name is amazing .. it excellently introduce "new" James Bond character and lyric is splendid.
And other .. Goldfinger B) , Golden Eye :tdown: Moonraker :tdown:, Die Another Day.

#214 Sockem

Sockem

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

I really like all of the Bond themes some more than others of course coughdadcough. I had a hard time choosing it came down to three choices: The original, You Know My Name, and Thunderball. I ended up choosing Thunderball. There's just something about the end of it.

#215 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

Nobody Does It Better remains my favourite. With A View to a Kill as a close second.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 30 July 2009 - 01:39 PM.

#216 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Ive just spent an hour listening to the the score of You only live twice. Fantastic is all I have to say, especially the space march. Anyone else a fan?

#217 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

I'll stick with my first exposure as my first favorite: DAF.
Then LALD, NDIB, YKMN, OHMSS, ATH, TLD and GE.

#218 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

Ive just spent an hour listening to the the score of You only live twice. Fantastic is all I have to say, especially the space march. Anyone else a fan?

Definitely an excellent score.

#219 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

Definitely an excellent score.

Agreed, I'd say top 3 in the franchise.

#220 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

Why is the main theme from FRWL by John Barry not mentioned. And at the same time, why aren't the primary leading songs 'We Have All The Time In The World' from OHMSS and 'The Look Of Love' from CR'67 not featured? It's a pity...makes the poll less accurate.

About the results....'You Know My Name' in 2nd place? This is just.....crazy :tdown:. 'Goldfinger' and 'Diamonds Are Forever' are way too low! Not to mention the Oscar nomination 'For Your Eyes Only' got.

'Another Way To Die' deservedly got 'zer points' so far B).

#221 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Well, my faves are "Nobody Does It Better," "OHMSS," "Moonraker," "The Living Daylights," and yes, "Die Another Day." But I'm sort of a hardcore Madonna fan (shut it, at least I admitted it. B) ). Sure, the lyrics are ridiculous ("Sigmund Freud, analyze this" makes me cringe), but I love the corrupted string background. Great remixes too. And the video rocks (mostly because she subtly references a crap ton of other Bond films). The only one I absolutely can't stand is TMWTGG. Lulu's voice just drives me to a level of insanity only previously reached by exposure to Josh Groban songs.

And while I don't have any of the soundtracks, I think AVTAK has one of the best ones I've heard in a Bond film, with TLD a very close second. Moonraker's score is pretty breathtaking too. But I watched all these quite recently, so maybe it's because they're so fresh in my mind.

Edited to add: Also, I think "Bachelorette" by Bjork would have made an excellent Bond main title song. Check it out if you can. It's pretty Bondy.

Edited by St. John Smythe, 17 December 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#222 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

LALD for me.

Great song, that one.

#223 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Suprisingly enough, I have the Bond CD in the car, and I also get the most satisfaction from

We Have all the time in the world

A view to a kill

#224 Gt Munn

Gt Munn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:56 AM

My favorite is definitely Nobody Does It Better.
The piano, Simon's voice (very sexy together btw), and it being the first song about Bond himself all come together in an amazing way. I also love the opening credits to FRWL. Ah, that brass!

Desmond Llewelyn Tribute
Perfect use. I dread the day it will be used for Connery.

Edited by Gt Munn, 31 December 2009 - 06:56 AM.

#225 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, that's the crux of "Nobody Does It Better" - it will most likely be used as a tribute song to all those (major) actors who have been in the Bond films.

Whatever happened to the Bond love ballad? Was the last one seriously "Licence to Kill?" To be honest, it's about damn time to bring it back.

#226 carlitos7

carlitos7

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

1 You Know My Name
2 A View To A Kill

#227 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

My top 3:

1.Goldfinger
2.You Know My Name
3.Goldeneye

#228 tb75

tb75

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

My Favorite score is OHMSS

My Favorite lyrical song is The Living Daylights

#229 Dr. Metz

Dr. Metz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

My all time favorite bond theme is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. One of my favorite movie themes period, shows you don't need lyrics to make a bond theme excellent.

#230 Klaus_Hergesheimer

Klaus_Hergesheimer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Great to see the love for the OHMSS theme. It just fits perfectly with the mood as well as musical trends at the time (the use of the Moog).

I would have voted for LALD, but I think that song transcends Bond in ways other songs didn't.

I'm surprised so many have voted for Nobody Does it Better. Just doesn't feel like a bond theme to me.

#231 :~BeNzEdRiNe~:

:~BeNzEdRiNe~:

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts
  • Location:In Bond's medicine cabinet, overnight bag, and bloodstream

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service-I like listening to it right before my ROTC leadership labs. It's hard-driving yet somber. Gets me in the perfect mood to be yelled at by cadet officers. Also enjoy listening to it while climbing my schools rockwall.

2. Thunderball-The blaring horns and the vocals are perfect. Used to blast it on my ipod before swim meets.

3. The Living Daylights-I like the length of it. Great song for nightdriving

#232 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

Well, I am. Although I found the oriental style cues a bit repetitive, I enjoyed the re-use of the main theme, the re-use of the 007 theme, and the cue "Mountains And Sunsets". The space music - Capsule In Space, Soviet Capsule etc. is excellent. Was space exploration ever made so attractive and yet so sinister, musically?

#233 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

My favorite is definitely Nobody Does It Better.
The piano, Simon's voice (very sexy together btw), and it being the first song about Bond himself all come together in an amazing way. I also love the opening credits to FRWL. Ah, that brass!

I love Nobody Does it Better, but to be fair, Thunderball was the first song to be about Bond and fits the cut-throat atmosphere of his life a lot more.

For me it's got to be Thunderball, We Have All The Time in The World, You Know my Name and GoldenEye. Also, what the hell were they thinking using the Sheryl Crow title song instead of Surrender by kd Lang.

Under-rated songs in my opinion are Licence to Kill, The World is Not Enough, Die Another Day and I'll Take it All (which absolutely deserves to be included in the poll).

#234 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

The Living Daylights

#235 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Time for a new listing!

60´s
You only live twice
Runner-Up: We have all the time in the world (one of the most beautiful songs ever written but not the main title song so...)

70´s
Nobody does it better
Runner-up: Moonraker (such a beautiful melody), Live and let die (great mix of romance, drama and humor)

80´s
For your eyes only
Runner-up: Licence to kill (although a bit generic it has an irresistible bridge IMO)

90´s
Tomorrow never dies (shock! I love the melody and the way Crow sings it)
Runner-up: The world is not enough (such a beautifully sad melody)

00´s
You know my name
Runner-up: ... still looking for one

So that means:

First round
You only live twice vs. Nobody does it better vs. For your eyes only vs. Tomorrow never dies vs. You know my name

Second round
You only live twice vs. Nobody does it better vs. For your eyes only vs. You know my name

Third round
You only live twice vs. Nobody does it better vs. vs. You know my name

Fourth round
Nobody does it better vs. vs. You know my name

Last round
Nobody does it better

Yes, I had too much time on my hands.

#236 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

It's not actually even a "song," but the opening intro to On Her Majesty's Secret Service is very compelling.

#237 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

All time high. I find both lyrics and melody wonderful, so romantic and peaceful. Have you heard the instrumental versions of the main title songs, especially those playing by orchestra. They are on youtube. The All time high instrumental version played by London Starlight Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCh6zr7eyYQ&feature=related

#238 201050

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

From the listed choices, for me the James Bond theme wins hands down. From the pop\rock\torch title songs, the only two I ever really seek out outside of my 007 soundtrack listening (which is considerable) are GoldenEye and Live And Let Die. There are several others I listen to when they are part of the full soundtracks (Carly Simon, Shirley Bassey) and there are a few that I always skip (Garbage, Madonna, Sheryl Crow).

#239 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

From the listed choices, for me the James Bond theme wins hands down. From the pop\rock\torch title songs, the only two I ever really seek out outside of my 007 soundtrack listening (which is considerable) are GoldenEye and Live And Let Die. There are several others I listen to when they are part of the full soundtracks (Carly Simon, Shirley Bassey) and there are a few that I always skip (Garbage, Madonna, Sheryl Crow).

Yeah, after On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I think the classic James Bond Theme as the opening title song is my second favorite. It's not only iconic, it's jazzy with a blend of classical and early rock and roll influence.

#240 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

Haha, poor "Another Way to Die" lol! It just...sucked...