SPECTRE Trailer (spoiler discussion)

298 replies to this topic

#211 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

Maybe I'm just slow in spotting this, or maybe I'm seeing something that's not there, but I was watching the trailer (maybe for the hundredth time), and it seems to me that, at the SPECTRE meeting in Rome, when Oberhauser looks up from his seat toward the balcony and he locks eyes with Bond, a look appears on Bond's face that appears to be recognition.  Could it be that these two men's eyes lock, and Bond suddenly realizes that he knows this man and remembers his own prior relationship with him?

That's certainly the way I took that look too.

#212 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

After the latest trailer I'm going to be hugely disappointed if the movie doesn't include any OHMSS music. I didn't even know I needed it until I heard it again!

At the moment, my guess is the music was just for the trailer. But I wouldn't be complaining if Newman spliced in a OHMSS cameo during the Austria sequence. That would be something special. He included a Doctor No homage in Skyfall, during 'Enquiry'. So I wouldn't say it's a complete no-go zone for him.

Where, exactly?
Check out 'Enquiry' from 1.40-1.52.

#213 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I would not expect Newman´s score to actually use the OHMSS theme.  It surely is only an easter egg for the hardcore fans.

#214 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

After the latest trailer I'm going to be hugely disappointed if the movie doesn't include any OHMSS music. I didn't even know I needed it until I heard it again!

At the moment, my guess is the music was just for the trailer. But I wouldn't be complaining if Newman spliced in a OHMSS cameo during the Austria sequence. That would be something special. He included a Doctor No homage in Skyfall, during 'Enquiry'. So I wouldn't say it's a complete no-go zone for him.

Where, exactly?

What part of Dr. No is that referencing?

#215 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

Where, exactly?

What part of Dr. No is that referencing?

Must admit I can't place it either.

#216 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

I would not expect Newman´s score to actually use the OHMSS theme.  It surely is only an easter egg for the hardcore fans.

I hope you're right.  It's OK for the trailer, but Newman needs to come up with his own material for the film itself.

#217 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:41 PM

Where, exactly?

Thank you, but I don't get what part of Dr. No you're talking about :P

#218 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:17 AM

The musical phrase in Dr. No, when the Three Blind Mice attempt to shoot Bond outside his hotel but then the car roars by, is referenced when Bond and M roar off in the Jaguar after escaping from the Enquiry in Skyfall.. Have another listen..

#219 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

Saw the trailer in the cinema for the first time yesterday, attached to MI: Rogue Nation. Lots of excited whispers and buzz after it played.

Nobody does it better than Bond!

#220 agentbug

agentbug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Saw the trailer in the cinema for the first time yesterday, attached to MI: Rogue Nation. Lots of excited whispers and buzz after it played.

Nobody does it better than Bond!

Love it! :D

#221 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

The musical phrase in Dr. No, when the Three Blind Mice attempt to shoot Bond outside his hotel but then the car roars by, is referenced when Bond and M roar off in the Jaguar after escaping from the Enquiry in Skyfall.. Have another listen..

Indeed. It's definitely a reference by Newman. 

#222 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Indeed. It's definitely a reference by Newman. 

Never spotted/heard that before.

Kudos!

#223 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

Only just catching that in the fight taking place between Bond and the helicopter pilot following the barrel roll shot, Bond is actually trying to wrestle a flair gun from the pilot's hand, not a regular pistol. I think we're in for a very special PTS this time out.

#224 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Did you see the name "Emma Pill" on the wall? More than a simple hommage to Diana Rigg.

The names on the wall are various members of the SPECTRE crew.

Yup.

Emma Pill is a Supervising Location Manager, Chloe Chesterton is a 2nd AD, etc.

#225 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Wow! Incredible good ear, my friend! I checked the dvd and it sounds so similar that can't be a coincidence. Anyway it is so subtle that only you had noticed it!!

A tribute should be well noted to be one, or, even Newman himself should have pointed to it, but, in this case, I'm quite lost. What was his intention??

#226 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Wow! Incredible good ear, my friend! I checked the dvd and it sounds so similar that can't be a coincidence. Anyway it is so subtle that only you had noticed it!!

A tribute should be well noted to be one, or, even Newman himself should have pointed to it, but, in this case, I'm quite lost. What was his intention??

I posted this in the non-spoiler trailer discussion - a little tidbit from the editor of the trailer (who's done all the Skyfall trailers and I believe the QoS theatrical too) when I asked him whether it was his idea:

It was an early remark from Barbara which I stored, then implemented, pushed for and got!

https://twitter.com/...108677462835200

He also praised Jeff Pfeifer (who composed the music for all the Craig-era trailers), and talked about how he'd hum bits that he'd want for particular parts of the trailer down the phone to Pfeifer, who'd then turn them info full orchestral pieces. A much more symbiotic process in terms of scoring/editing compared to most other film trailers.

Edited by antovolk, 11 August 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#227 agentbug

agentbug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for posting Antovolk, an interesting tidbit indeed.

#228 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Interesting to find out, and now I'm curious about what the remark from Barbera actually was.

(Although this information does make it seem less likely that we might get the OHMSS song in the final film.)

#229 Twingolot

Twingolot

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

I don't mind the OHMSS theme being in the movie or not, but I would really love to hear the Quantum theme from David Arnold again. This would continue the connections to the Craig era. 

#230 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

I don't mind the OHMSS theme being in the movie or not, but I would really love to hear the Quantum theme from David Arnold again. This would continue the connections to the Craig era. 

Quantum theme?

#231 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Quantum theme?
The 'Night at the Opera' cue.

#232 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Quantum theme?

Oh, I'd love to hear a return of that theme! Pretty sure we would have, had Arnold made the score for this movie. But I can't see Newman using someone else's music (look at how reluctant he was in using the Bond theme and the Skyfall song) unless EON will force him to do so.

#233 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Just to clear this up:  Newman was not reluctant to use the Bond theme (he actually used it pretty often, re-worked and interpolated, he just did not blast it out there constantly) - and the song was not composed by him, yet he managed to use it when it became available to him at the last minute.   And EON did not force him to do anything.  The score was influenced heavily by Sam Mendes´ direction.

#234 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Quantum theme?

The single piece of post-TND Arnold Bond that I unabashedly love.

#235 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

The single piece of post-TND Arnold Bond that I unabashedly love.

I think Arnold delivered his best work in the Craig era, with African Rundown being his best. City of Lovers is also a favourite of mine, and of course the Quantum theme which we are discussing now. The guy did deliver moments of brilliance in these cues, but I still prefer what Newman has done. As SecretAgentFan posted, Skyfall's score is full of Bond theme. I also think Newman provides a sense of darkness and maturity that suits Craig's Bond better, namely a cue like Day Wasted.

#236 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Just to clear this up:  Newman was not reluctant to use the Bond theme (he actually used it pretty often, re-worked and interpolated, he just did not blast it out there constantly) - and the song was not composed by him, yet he managed to use it when it became available to him at the last minute.   And EON did not force him to do anything.  The score was influenced heavily by Sam Mendes´ direction.

He pretty much used only the vamp part, though. He used the "guitar riff" only twice ("Breadcrumbs" and very briefly the end of "Granborough") and the bebop was never used fully.

#237 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

The BBFC have approved two new TV spots.

One for 'now' and one for 'Sept 7'. Both 20 seconds long and most interestingly a 'Universal' certificate.

Edited by DamnCoffee, 25 August 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#238 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

The BBFC have approved two new TV spots.

One for 'now' and one for 'Sept 7'. Both 20 seconds long and most interestingly a 'Universal' certificate.

They are probably for the cinema tickets to be shown in cinemas. The BBFC don't need to grant certificates for things on TV.

I'm hoping they will turn up on the 007 Facebook and You Tube.

#239 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Aha, makes sense!

#240 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Aha, makes sense!

I'm thinking that the "Sep 7" one will show up quite soon, possibly intended to be shown in cinemas from this Friday. "Spectre tickets available from September 7th".

Then it will be replaced by the "Now" after that date. I think they should show them online too.