2005 replies to this topic

#121 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Yes I have to say that I prefer Piper to Tate... but she is starting to grow on me.

Just found an Interesting Story...

BBC wins court battle over Daleks

The BBC has won a court battle over the copyright to the Daleks.

A High Court judge yesterday ruled BBC Worldwide had not infringed copyright by publishing a book, the Dalek Survival Guide, on the theme of the Doctor Who characters.

Publisher JHP printed four books containing stories by Dalek creator Terry Nation in the 1960s. Paul Fishman, its current boss, had looked at working with the corporation on a new book in 2001, but the two fell out.

After the Survival Guide came out a year later, Fishman - the son of one of Nation's friends and collaborators - claimed his company owned the copyright to the Daleks.

He claimed the BBC's book was "cheap and nasty" and contained material copied from one of JHP's publications, the Dalek Pocketbook.

However, Mr Justice Norris ruled that, though JHP had a licence to the old original, it was "inherently improbable" that Nation would have given his copyright to the company.

"The Daleks first became known to humankind in 1963 when they appeared in the first series of Doctor Who," he said. "They were some of the most engaging and enduring creations of the fertile mind of the late Terry Nation."

BBC Worldwide welcomed the ruling: "BBC Worldwide has vigorously defended this litigation and we're pleased the matter has now concluded."

#122 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

I'm getting really tired with blinkered fans and new fans saying that Catherine Tate is unwatchable. She's the first solid actress they have had since Davies took over and is perfect in my opinion.

I think Tate's great, but I don't think she's the first top actress it's had since it came back- Billie Piper was pretty amazing, I'd say.

No, but she got good. There's a difference. She was very wooden in those early episodes - as was Freema Agyman (who I think only came into her own in that part during her TORCHWOOD / Season Two episodes).

Either way we have
Spoiler

#123 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

No, but she got good. There's a difference. She was very wooden in those early episodes - as was Freema Agyman (who I think only came into her own in that part during her TORCHWOOD / Season Two episodes).

Hmm... I don't get that at all- she was as good from the start as she was later; that's why she got all the plaudits from day one. I certainly can't see anything wrong with her early performances.
Freema was never really that great- not actually bad but not as good as the other two and has a slightly awkward delivery. Bit like Colin Salmon- not quite natural.

#124 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hmm... I don't get that at all- she was as good from the start as she was later; that's why she got all the plaudits from day one. I certainly can't see anything wrong with her early performances.
Freema was never really that great- not actually bad but not as good as the other two and has a slightly awkward delivery. Bit like Colin Salmon- not quite natural.

I agree with that last point. I thought it was just me that thought Colin Salmon is a tad naff in a lot of things. Oh - he's in a later episode of this series (!).

I would still argue that Piper settled into the role after series two, but at least she did and now she's back...! Yay!

#125 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

I agree with that last point. I thought it was just me that thought Colin Salmon is a tad naff in a lot of things. Oh - he's in a later episode of this series (!).

Oh damn- yeah, you're right.

I would still argue that Piper settled into the role after series two

[pedant] But she wasn't in it after series two... [/pedant] :tup:

Yeah, I know she was in it a couple of weeks ago, but y'know...

#126 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

I have to say that out of all of the assistants in the revamped series, Piper is by far the best and entertaining.

#127 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Yep, I'd say so too.

David Tennant celebrates his birthday today by the way. Happy birthday Doctor!

#128 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Indeed! Happy Birthday Doctor!!! :tup:

#129 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

i think series 4 has started off really well cant wait for tomorrows episode :tup:

#130 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Me neither.... The Planet of the Ood, seems very interesting.

#131 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Amongst the many comparisons to Bond/Who over the years I like the fact that as well as 'giving audiences what they want' the reimagined/continued new era for both characters are giving audiences very ambigous portrayals of both these heroes. The parrallels are, once again with these two quite similar.

The news about QOS (Bond so intent on revenge that he loses sight of the real goal ie protecting/saving innocent lives) and the themes present in CR explore a character who, disturbingly, may not be doing his job for the right reasons (the ego-laden thrill in the crucial card game until Vesper reminds him, more than once, that there are lives at stake, M dressing him down for taking matters into his own hands at the Embassy , his general air of loneliness and having nothing else to do with his life etc) anymore and realises this. Details in QOS seem to confirm that this arc (Bond rediscovering his humanity and the right reasons for being who he is/will be) will, if not complete, display this development.

Likewise since the new series of WHO we've had all three (and as the fourth is still underway it's likely to be explored further) series explore a character who, disturbingly, no longer has the benefit of fighting evil for the right reasons (the destruction of his home planet, being the last of his kind, his general air of loneliness and having nothing else to do with his life etc) anymore and realises this.

With both characters/franchises being more popular (and critically well received) than they've respectively been in a long time it's nice to know that (as fans of both) I'm seeing some very complex, at times daringly unheroic portrayals of these British 'superheroes' (The Doctor torturing the Dalek in DALEK, running away from the cowering family towards the end of THE FIRES OF POMPEII, initally refusing to save them) and with Bond likewise(the PTS in CR where it's clearly emphasised that Bond is, and was never intended to be, a conventional hero, the quick shot of Dryden's family when he's killed is obvious but dares the audience to question, if only for a moment, how 'heroic' this character truly is).

Long may they continue to be this interesting. :tup:

Heck to add further The Doctor's relationship with Donna (Tate) this year is based entirely on friendship and not love/unrequited love that the other companions (Rose/Martha) have shown for him since the show came back. Now in QOS it's been confirmed that Bond's relationship with the main Bond Girl will also have no romantic/sexual tension. My goodness are there any other two characters in fiction that have parralled in their development over the years in quite the same way?

Edited by baerrtt, 18 April 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#132 Pete

Pete

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I have to say that out of all of the assistants in the revamped series, Piper is by far the best and entertaining.

I think this is the first time that we've had a character that isn't a screamer and isn't just there for the Doctor to save. I think they had the right idea when they had Ace but by then the series was dead on it's feet. Rose was someone, who when given the chance, took it and cherished everything that went with the dream of time travel.

#133 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Yes, I didn't think I'd like Troughton but he is actually a brilliant Doctor. :tup: Tennants still my favorite though... followed by Hartnell and Pertwee.

Troughton was my favourite as he was the one I really grew up with. I can remember Hartnell, just, but Pat was my Doc. Sadly he died on my birthday.

I always felt that in the earlier series, wobbly sets etc. Tom Baker was the best Doctor, i felt he really nailed the part. I wasn't a great Pertwee fan to start with, but he did grow on me.

Although I was a fan I started to lose interest when Sarah Jane left but by then I was discovering girls and things so the dear old Doc lost out a bit.

Love the new series great to see it do what it had the potential to do all those years ago.

I think Tom Baker is terribly overrated. He was good in his first two seasons, but then self-indulgence infected his performance terribly and, for me, ruined the show until Peter Davison took over. It could be, of course, that Jon Pertwee was my Doctor. Not understanding at the time that actors chose to leave shows (unless they're Colin Baker), I thought Tom Baker had elbowed JP aside and I never quite forgave him for it. Pertwee remains by far my favourite Doc, but Tennant is now running him a very close second.

#134 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

My goodness are there any other two characters in fiction that have parralled in their development over the years in quite the same way?

Indeed! And now, Tennant wants to be Bond!, apparently. :tup:

I think Tom Baker is terribly overrated.

I have still yet to see a complete Tom Baker story but I think he's probably the most popular, if someone says Doctor Who, the majority of people dont think "Oooh Patrick Troughton" or "Oooh Sylvester Macoy" they think "Ahhh Tom Baker!", I love all of the Doctors in their own way, so I can see all of their strengths.

My Favs (based on what I've seen so far.)
1. David Tennant
2. William Hartnell
3. John Pertwee
4. Patrick Troughton
5. Peter Davison
6. Tom Baker
7. Sylvester Macoy
8. Colin Baker
9. Christopher Eccleston
10. Paul McGann

#135 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Just a reminder that episode three of Series 4, Planet of the Ood, is to be broadcast in 14 mins on BBC1. :tup:

#136 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

My goodness are there any other two characters in fiction that have parralled in their development over the years in quite the same way?

Indeed! And now, Tennant wants to be Bond!, apparently. :tup:

I think Tom Baker is terribly overrated.

I have still yet to see a complete Tom Baker story but I think he's probably the most popular, if someone says Doctor Who, the majority of people dont think "Oooh Patrick Troughton" or "Oooh Sylvester Macoy" they think "Ahhh Tom Baker!", I love all of the Doctors in their own way, so I can see all of their strengths.

My Favs (based on what I've seen so far.)
1. David Tennant
2. William Hartnell
3. John Pertwee
4. Patrick Troughton
5. Peter Davison
6. Tom Baker
7. Sylvester Macoy
8. Colin Baker
9. Christopher Eccleston
10. Paul McGann

In fairness to Tom Baker, after his first two (admittedly good) seasons, he had a very weak producer who let him get away with murder. Weak producers are never good for actors or performances, especially in the case of someone as self-indulgent as TB. It's no surprise that he quit the role soon after a strong producer was appointed for what turned out to be his final season.

#137 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

Tom Baker bestrides WHO like a colossus.

He was so good, so memorable that every Doctor after him tried to live up to his standard. I disagree with the above about his middle seasons. He got three excellent years under Hinchcliffe and under Willimas they were told to ditch the gothic horror and replace it with comedy. He still produced some gems ie Horror of Fang Rock, Fendhal, City of Death and the Key to Time season.

Hes the Sean Connery of WHO, everyone who comes after is compared to him

David Tennant is the Pierce Brosnan of WHO, popular, pretty but ultimately very very bland.

#138 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

What did everyone think of the 'Planet of the Ood' last night? I for one thought it was fantastic. :tup:

#139 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

Really good episode last night. Similar to Goldfinger in that The Doctor actually did very little to advance the plot

#140 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

He was so good, so memorable that every Doctor after him tried to live up to his standard. I disagree with the above about his middle seasons. He got three excellent years under Hinchcliffe and under Willimas they were told to ditch the gothic horror and replace it with comedy. He still produced some gems ie Horror of Fang Rock, Fendhal, City of Death and the Key to Time season.

David Tennant is the Pierce Brosnan of WHO, popular, pretty but ultimately very very bland.

I disagree. Tom Baker couldn't hold a candle to his immediate predecessor. So called classics like City of Death are terribly overrated in my opinion, while the Key to Time season dragged on longer than the 100 Years War. And at least two of his successors - Ecclestone and Tennant - have eclipsed him. But it's all subjective.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 20 April 2008 - 10:02 AM.

#141 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Really good episode last night. Similar to Goldfinger in that The Doctor actually did very little to advance the plot

I agree.... I'm beginning to warm to Catherine Tate, as well. :tup:

#142 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

What did everyone think of the 'Planet of the Ood' last night?

Not a lot. Haven't been all that enthralled with this series thus far. Casual viewer, anyway. Might dip into it now and again but haven't seen anything to hold my interest.

#143 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Maybe things will start to pick up when Rose returns. :tup:

Unofficial figures show that episode three of Series Four, Planet of the Ood, was watched by 6.9 million viewers, giving it a 33.4% share of the total television audience.

The programme was the second most watched of the day, being beatenby ITV1's Britain's Got Talent, which got a massive 10.3 million. It won the time slot, beating Animals Do the Funniest Things, which got 4.0 million viewers.

Oh the Sontarians are back next week!

4.4: The Sontaran Stratagem Synopsis...
Spoiler

#144 minder125

minder125

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

What did everyone think of the 'Planet of the Ood' last night? I for one thought it was fantastic. :tup:

Loved it, and next week is shaping up to be a good one since Martha works for UNIT now. I'm assuming they will finally be a force in the series. Sure they were in the Christmas Invasion but only briefly.

Also can't get it in my head a Young One is playing the lead Sontaron.

#145 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

I disagree. Tom Baker couldn't hold a candle to his immediate predecessor. So called classics like City of Death are terribly overrated in my opinion, while the Key to Time season dragged on longer than the 100 Years War. And at least two of his successors - Ecclestone and Tennant - have eclipsed him. But it's all subjective.

Bond is like WHO in many ways it is possibly to be so enamored with a certain Doctor (in your case the mighty Pert) that you cant stand his successor whatever arguments are put his way. Thats me and Pierce really, I found him pretty uninspiring after Tim. And no one really matched Tom in my eyes. Eccles came close with an original take with the 'damaged Doctor' but none of the others including Tennant.

And I thought Planet of the Ood was rather good. An old fashioned aliens as slaves metaphor complete with gruesome deaths.

#146 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Just a reminder that Episode 4 of Series 4 is to be broadcast tonight on BBC1. :tup: I'm not sure of the time - I'll have to check.

But tonight does mark the return of the
Spoiler
after 23 years!

:tup:

#147 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

Just reminding you that 'The Sotaran Strategm' starts in 20 mins on BBC1. :tup:

#148 George Lazenby

George Lazenby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

The Sontaran Strategm was just amazing, loved it :tup:
It ended on such a cliiffhanger too, cant wait for the Poison Sky next week.

Edited by George Lazenby, 26 April 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#149 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

Yes, I have to say the episode last night, was by far the best this series. :tup:

#150 _Ozu_

_Ozu_

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

How's the doctor going to open Donna's car :tup:

The episode has had a dark beginning and a dark ending, I've really liked it, although I don't really like UNIT.

Can't wait until this Saturday :tup:

(and you can imagine how I feel being that far from Quantum of Solace :( )