2005 replies to this topic

#61 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

I remember The Doctor saying he would have to generate the power of a million suns or something to that effect to see Rose again. Ooh, now I am intrigued.

#62 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I remember The Doctor saying he would have to generate the power of a million suns or something to that effect to see Rose again. Ooh, now I am intrigued.

But she did look into the heart of the TARDIS at the end of Season 1. I'm guessing that's the cop-out, ahem, the McGuffin.

Even though one knew Billie Piper was making a limited return this season, her unexpected appearance at the end of last night's ep was still fabulous.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 06 April 2008 - 02:41 PM.

#63 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

It was Indeed. I also really enjoyed the Dalek episodes from 1963 over on BBC Four, that was a great treat.

#64 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

They've redesigned the official site by the way. I think I like the old layout, but this new version works.

#65 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

Yes thanks for this sharpshooter, the new layout does look rather good.

The BBC have now released the synopsis for the second episode of Doctor Who Series 4, The Fires Of Pompeii. In this episode The Doctor and Donna will visit Pompeii in 79AD, the day before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. It will air on 12th of April on BBC1.

[spoiler]The Doctor and Donna travel back into ancient history, in tonight

#66 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

That sounds 'fantastic', as the 9th Doctor would have said.

#67 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

Ready for Tennant to regenerate, I'm afraid. He's been excellent but his earnest smiley superior decency can get tiresome. Was I alone in wanting the charismatic Master - John Simm - to win at the end of the last series?

And all this running up and down underground corridors. You know - breeze block walls, air-conditioning pipes, storeage rooms. Is this an homage to the crappiness of the "classic" episodes? And what's this obsession with the villains and high-rise buildings: is it Davies being phallic?

Partners in Crime was a tremendous let down after the wait. Okay, they usually save the best epiosdes for the end of the series, but tend to start the series with a bit of a bang. Time for a rest?

Kids enjoying it still, though.

#68 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

On the contrary, I think Tennant is one of the best Doctors ever and it will be a sad day when he does leave.

#69 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

Partners in Crime was a tremendous let down after the wait. Okay, they usually save the best epiosdes for the end of the series, but tend to start the series with a bit of a bang. Time for a rest?

I watched it and can't really remember anything about it now. Seemed a little slight. I think I enjoyed it.

#70 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Yes, the openers are always slight (Dr Who not being a terribly heavy show to start with)- just fun runarounds really. I laughed a couple of times and it moved nice and quick- I'm looking forward to the rest.

#71 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

It's not rubbish exactly, but you do get the sneaky feeling that maybe they're running out of ideas.
Catherine Tate sits a bit uneasily in the role of the innocent young companion - how old is she? Gotta be pushing 40. She's back in there because kids like quoting her in playgrounds.
As for bringing Rose back... I mean, that story was wrapped up very nicely thanks why go back to her so quickly?
Theres supposed to be a storyline which
Spoiler
and that does rather suggest they might be scraping the barrel.

Saying that, Tennent is still a great Doctor and its all very well done and much better than the [censored] thats usually on staurday night tv.
I like the episodes where they give us something that really breaks away from the formula. That "Blink" episode where for the most part the Doctor was absent except as an image on a dvd was tremendous. More of that and i'll be a happy bunny.

Edited by Scrambled Eggs, 08 April 2008 - 03:39 PM.

#72 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

On the contrary, I think Tennant is one of the best Doctors ever and it will be a sad day when he does leave.

I agree. Tennant is just fantastic; second only to Pertwee to my mind. Did you see him in Casanova? It was practically a three-hour audition for the role...

#73 cap97

cap97

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

Spoiler

I'm not really up to date on Doctor Who, both past and present (working on it) but I thought previous incarnations had already hinted at that above spoiler. That said, they ought to be careful about revealing too many of The Doctor's secrets, as that's part of his charm.

#74 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yes, the openers are always slight (Dr Who not being a terribly heavy show to start with)- just fun runarounds really.

True, true.

It does seem to follow a formula of starting off pretty blithely and then becoming more (ahem) complex - might be about time to shake that up a bit before it becomes predictable.

#75 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image
involves the Doctor having a child

I'm not really up to date on Doctor Who, both past and present (working on it) but I thought previous incarnations had already hinted at that above spoiler. That said, they ought to be careful about revealing too many of The Doctor's secrets, as that's part of his charm.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think the title of the episode, which is alluded to in the spoiler, is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek come on. Like calling a Bond film "James Bond Dies!" That was my impression reading an interview with RTD recently.

Yes, the openers are always slight (Dr Who not being a terribly heavy show to start with)- just fun runarounds really.

True, true.

It does seem to follow a formula of starting off pretty blithely and then becoming more (ahem) complex - might be about time to shake that up a bit before it becomes predictable.

Although starting big and petering out over 13 weeks might not be smart... :tup: That said, isn't this week's supposed to be the most ambitious they've ever done?

#76 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

That "Blink" episode where for the most part the Doctor was absent except as an image on a dvd was tremendous. More of that and i'll be a happy bunny.

Blink is probably my favourite episode of series 3. The weeping angels concept was great. Escaping a monster by not blinking, something simple but difficult to do.

#77 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

I agree. Tennant is just fantastic; second only to Pertwee to my mind. Did you see him in Casanova? It was practically a three-hour audition for the role...

I also agree. Tennant has the quirkiness that Pertwee had.

I'm actually enjoying the last two seasons because my son has it on all the time. (wanker :tup: ). I was even subjected to the old Eccleson episodes, and they were good but not quite as good as the Tennant's.

But this opener stunk to high heaven. But wait. The bird from Corry had a cute butt. Luckily the other half missed my observations. :(

Wish I could get rid of my mid-rift in that way. :tup:

#78 Pete

Pete

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Spoiler

Not if you go back to the 1963 original series when Susan Foreman was in it, it could tie the whole relationship up.

#79 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Yes I remember Susan well, probably due to repeats and such... what ever happened to her?

#80 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Spoiler

But:

I like the episodes where they give us something that really breaks away from the formula.

The daughter thing sounds fairly unformulaic to me. There was a novel which came out a few years in which the Doctor adopted a daughter (who I think was a Time Lady; I didn't read it) so it'll be interesting to see if it's related to that at all.

#81 Pete

Pete

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

Yes I remember Susan well, probably due to repeats and such... what ever happened to her?

She was left on Earth in London in 2164 after the Daleks had tried to conquer it (their second outing I believe.)The Doctor thought it was time for her to make her own way in life and also had noticed that she had fallen in love with David Campbell, one of the humans.

#82 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Have a look at this new clip- lovely effects:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rwho/s4/videos/

#83 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

Ah, old fashioned wobbly set.

#84 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

She was left on Earth in London in 2164 after the Daleks had tried to conquer it (their second outing I believe.)The Doctor thought it was time for her to make her own way in life and also had noticed that she had fallen in love with David Campbell, one of the humans.

Seems a little horrible to leave your grandaughter in the future. :tup:

#85 Pete

Pete

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

What...no Frankie Howerd?

#86 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

What...no Frankie Howerd?

"Oh, titter". :tup:

#87 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

I've decided to start collecting the old Doctor Who's... I shall start from Hartnell and work my way up from there. There seems to be quite a few DVD's to collect judging by this Wikipedia picture...

Posted Image

#88 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Ah, old fashioned wobbly set.

Timey wimey wibbly wobbly 'stuff' indeed.

Nice DVD collection there Mharkin!

#89 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

Its not mine... It's from Wikipedia. :tup:

#90 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

I've decided to start collecting the old Doctor Who's... I shall start from Hartnell and work my way up from there.

Well don't feel you have to do it that way; old Dr Who was made for a different time and so can be a little creaky nowadays; I wouldn't blame you for skipping ahead to a few classic Toms or Jons. Are you watching the Daleks on BBC Four? It's only the second one made and if you haven't seen Hartnell before it'll give you an idea of what it's like. There's two episodes on tonight.