2005 replies to this topic

#31 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

James Bond and Dr. Who - THE two heroes from my 60s childhood. And here we are, 40 years on, and both going strong.

Jon Pertwee was my favourite Doctor (I loathed Tom Baker's self-indulgence), but David Tennant is currently challenging him in my eyes!

#32 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

You can't go wrong with The Ark in Space, Pyramids of Mars, and The Talons of Weng-Chiang. :cooltongue:

Except they all feature Tom Baker - aaagh! That said, I do accept his first two seasons were okay; then he started to become a real pain when the flashing of the toothy grin and the playing with the yo-yo replaced proper acting. It could, of course, have been that I was growing up...

The revival has been superb. The second series outclassed the first and the third is already showing signs of raising the bar again. Russell T Davies is by far and away the best and most innovative writer currently working in British television and the series is damned lucky to have him.

I must admit I am surprised to see both the direct comparisons of Bond and Doctor Who, as well as the tongue in cheek theory:

James Bond is Really a Time Lord

I posted very similarly here just a day or two before this thread started, all about how Niven was the first Bond who has since regenerated seven times.

Can I just ask whether anyone enjoyed last week's episode? Two of my friends said independently of each other 'That episode was the worst of all three series'. The thing is I really enjoyed it, and we usually share similar tastes, not to mention that I'm a pretty hard person to please. I missed the first scene, so perhaps something really awful happened in that that I missed, or maybe I was slipped some style of Prozac earlier on in the day. Answers on a postcard anyone?

I'm not sure which one you're talking about - Ep 1 or 2 - but, to my mind, both were bloody good and The Shakespeare Code was one of the very best of the new lot.

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Yup, i think he means Ep 2, 'The Shakespeare Code' was one great episode, i usually prefer the futuristic episodes, but i actually loved the witch craft :cooltongue:. Speaking of Witchcraft:

Martha: It's all a bit Harry Potter is'nt it?
The Doctor: Oh have you read book seven? I cried.
:angry: nice little touch.

#34 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

Except they all feature Tom Baker - aaagh!

Exactly. :angry:

He's the joint best Doctor Who, along with Patrick Troughton, as far as I'm concerned.

They're also the only two Doctor Who's to have done the voiceovers on the old Wookey Hole Caves adverts.

"Don't go there... alone!" :cooltongue:

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Just to remind you that Episode three of the current series is to be broadcast tonight. 7:40pm on BBC1.

Title: Gridlock
Plot:
Spoiler

#36 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Just to remind you that Episode three of the current series is to be broadcast tonight. 7:40pm on BBC1.

Unless the football goes into extra time, in which case, they'll drop Doctor Who and put it back a week. Don't know how that'd affect later episodes though. Having said all that, it it apparently unlikely that the football will go into extra time, but we'll have to wait and see.

#37 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

Has anybody seen the new Dalek on the cover of the Radio Times yet? It's really rather cool. Reminds me of City of Death. And Half Life. :cooltongue:

#38 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Good post, Mharkin.

It's compeletely off the beaten track, but a good one nevertheless.

I am a new DR WHO fan. I remember the original series but was a bit too young to appreciate them. My favourite is Davison with Tennant a close second. And to be fair, Davison is only in there because he's the first one I remember (a bit like favourite Bonds...).

I could go on at length, but want to try this theory I have out on a few fans out there.

It involves MR SAXON...

Now, fans - and most of the public now - have an inkling about MR SAXON. And that is that he is THE MASTER... I think that's fairly acknowledged now, no?

But Davies is cleverer than that. And I was wondering if (like the climaxes of the first and second recent series), he has a rabbit up his sleeve.

There has been a lot of references to fathers and sons in recent episodes from this new series and parts of the second.

My theory is - and let it sink in first folks - is that THE MASTER is actually DR WHO's son. It darkens, broadens and intensifies the dynamic of the series and opens up the potential for writers of the fourth.

Anyone care to comment? Tell me I'm wrong by all means. But THE MASTER's return is not the only secret of this series.

#39 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hope not.

In the old Pertwee/Delgado days, they were going to hint that they were brothers, though.

#40 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

Has anybody seen the new Dalek on the cover of the Radio Times yet? It's really rather cool. Reminds me of City of Death. And Half Life. :angry:

Yup! "Half Dalek, Half Human" :cooltongue:

#41 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

Still hooked on this Brilliant Sci-Fi Show. :tup:. The Doctor will return for a thirtieth series in Spring 2008. An episode entitles "Partners in Crime" will kick of the new series.

For this series, Catherine Tate will reprise her role of Donna Noble, from the 2006 Christmas special, as the Doctor's latest companion. Midway through the series, Freema Agyeman will also return to her role of Martha Jones, following a multi-episode guest appearance in the Doctor Who spin-off series, Torchwood. John Barrowman will be filming for the show after Christmas 2007, continuing his role as Captain Jack Harkness, and Billie Piper will return as Rose Tyler for three episodes.

Yay! Really happy about Piper returning :tup:

#42 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

This new version's dire.

Thank God for the DVD releases of the 1963-1979 episodes.

#43 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

I think Dr Who is great! I love watching it and may it go on forever like Bond.

#44 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

I picked up the 'Beneath The Sea' Boxset yesterday, 4 Discs, Including :
Doctor Who and the Silurians, The Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep.
I've only watched the first one (Doctor Who and the Silurians) so far and it was hillarious, in a good way. Even though I expected the monsters to be amaturish it still made me laugh. Plus Pertwee is fantastic. God I love Doctor Who. Darn good fun of you ask me :tup:

#45 Odd Job

Odd Job

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:21 AM

This is a great thread, bringing together two of my favourite things, James Bond and Doctor Who. I have been a huge fan of this show since 1983, when Peter Davison was the Doctor. My favourite Doctor of all is the late, great Patrick Troughton, closely followed by Davison and Tennant. I think the new series is great. Sure it has some less than brilliant moments (Daleks in Manhattan, The last of the Time Lords), but overall the new series of DW has been brilliant. Kudos to Russell T Davies and the team at BBC Cardiff.

My favourite story of the classic era is probably a toss-up between "Tomb of the Cybermen" and "The Invasion", honorable mentions to "Caves of Androzani" and "The Pyramids of Mars". My favourite story of the new series between "Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel" (there's a shock) and "Human Nature/Family of Blood". It's funny but there's nothing that annoys me more than in a TV show or in a film sequel, they have different actors playing the same character (eg. Bewitched). Somehow, this doesn't seem to apply to these two great British institutions. Long may they reign!!!

#46 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Just a reminder that Series 4 of Doctor Who starts tonight on BBC1 at, 6.20pm. :tup:

Spoiler

#47 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

Great. I am looking forward to series four.

#48 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Just a reminder that Series 4 of Doctor Who starts tonight on BBC1 at, 6.20pm. :tup:

Spoiler

I've got my blank DVDs at the ready...

Plus the original 7-part Dalek story is being broadcast on BBC4. Three eps tonight and the rest spread across Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

#49 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

Lovely! Thanks for the heads up! :tup:

#50 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Pertwee is fantastic.

Indeed, he is. And the closest to James Bond! Although Tennant cuts quite a dash in a tux as well.

I was brought up on Doctor Who being more or less the same age as the show itself. I have great fondness for the orginal 1963-1989 show, but the revival is simply superb. But then Russell T. Davies is the best writer currently working in British Television, period.

#51 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hmmm, how Ironic! I've just realised. James Bond and Doctor Who both rose to fame in the early sixties, stopped in 1989, made a comeback in the mid nineties (GoldenEye - 95 and Doctor Who TV Movie in 96). Plus... they were both reborn in the 00's! :tup:

#52 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Hmmm, how Ironic! I've just realised. James Bond and Doctor Who both rose to fame in the early sixties, stopped in 1989, made a comeback in the mid nineties (GoldenEye - 95 and Doctor Who TV Movie in 96). Plus... they were both reborn in the 00's! :tup:

Check out my post (number 19) on the first page of this thread! :tup:

#53 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:50 AM

i forgot about this thread i have three loves in my life james bond doctor who and my soccer team :tup: i know am a sad young man

Edited by col_007, 06 April 2008 - 01:52 AM.

#54 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

What did everyone think of 'Partners in Crime', the Season 4 Premiere last night?

#55 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

What did everyone think of 'Partners in Crime', the Season 4 Premiere last night?

It was a fun romp, designed to kick-start the new season and showcase the new(ish) assistant. Not a classic episode, by any means, but then it wasn't intended to be. It did what was asked of it very well indeed, and the viewing figures were impressive - just 0.5% short of the magic 40% audience share that gives British TV execs orgasms.

#56 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

This sucks. Here in Australia we have to wait until god knows when for series four. We'll probably get it when the UK has aired it in it's entirety.

#57 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

You could always download it of a torrent, SharpShooter, not that I condone any of that. :tup:

#58 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

That was brilliant fun. Tate is fantastic- made me laugh loads- her reactions to seeing the Doctor again and the 'mate' comment were priceless!

#59 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Hmmm I'm not to keen on Catherine Tate as much. She's great in the Catherine Tate show but I just think she's a tad bit full on, the Doctor has certainly met his match. I think the highlight of the episode was Rose Tyler. :tup:

#60 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

You could always download it of a torrent, SharpShooter, not that I condone any of that. :tup:

That would be very wrong. Very wrong, indeed. I couldn't possibly condone such behaviour... :tup:

I don't know, but is the BBC's iPlayer only able to be accessed from the UK? If not, you can catch up with all the BBC's TV and radio programmes up to seven days after transmission. The link is on the BBC's main webpage.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 06 April 2008 - 02:38 PM.