This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

I doubt that EON will hire Rihanna for either the title song or for any kind of a role in the film.  This is the usual tabloid nonsense that we tend to get each time production begins to ramp up on a Bond film.

I would, however, completely agree with Rihanna's blasting of the NFL following her song being pulled from the CBS pregame.  She was 100% right to do so.

#182 JamesPup

JamesPup

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

Why not have Lorde do the title song? She is pretty good.

#183 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I suggested Lorde awhile back. I'd be fine with it, though she is a bit young. I'm still holding out for that Latin influenced Shakira track. Who wouldn't love to see Shakira shake her hips as the Bond 24 title flashes across the screen? B)

#184 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Who wouldn't love to see Shakira shake her hips as the Bond 24 title flashes across the screen? B)

I wouldn't.

#185 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Who wouldn't love to see Shakira shake her hips as the Bond 24 title flashes across the screen? B)

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't either.  

Nor do I think that Lorde should do the title song.  There are a ton of great artists out there who would do a far better job, and who have more than just one incredibly overrated song to their credit.  

#186 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

Johnny Mathis would be my choice this time around. And he's with Sony, conveniently enough.

#187 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

It sholuld be Adele.

#188 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

"I'm not the only one" has a Bond vibe to it.
Definitely.

Sam did well at the Mobos, well done fella.

#189 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

I really hope it's not Sam Smith. Can't stand his stuff.

#190 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

I remember at some point there was a rumour about Lana Del Rey being considered for the title song. I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be true. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I've heard some of her work and she certainly does have an interesting voice.

Edited by Marcin, 28 October 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#191 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

One track of Del Rey's latest sounds like a Bond song already. The lyrics don't quite match but it was all but an application for the job. She's not known for her quality live acts but the voice has a certain lazy shaken-and-stirred quality, I could imagine Eon have her in their sights.

#192 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:29 PM

One track of Del Rey's latest sounds like a Bond song already. The lyrics don't quite match but it was all but an application for the job. She's not known for her quality live acts but the voice has a certain lazy shaken-and-stirred quality, I could imagine Eon have her in their sights.

What's the track called? I'd like to hear it.

#193 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Shades Of Cool if I'm not mistaken, third track on Ultraviolence.

#194 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

I'd prefer something a little different... My vote would be this:

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 29 October 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#195 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

Sam who?

Del Rey could be okay but I'm hoping for a more up beat theme for Bond 24.

I'd be fine with

Shakira, Rihanna, even Lady Gaga

I love Tegan and Sara but that wound never happen

either would Christiana Perri, 

Ellie Goulding I like but I'm not sure shes right for it

Performers I would NOT like:

Taylor Swift, really didn't like 'Shake it'*

Kate Perry

Beyonce

Michael Bubbla*

#196 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Oh god no, not Taylor Swift.

#197 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

This has resurfaced. 

http://pagesix.com/2...e-song-sources/

Sam Smith has been selected to sing the theme tune for the upcoming James Bondmovie, edging out Lana Del Rey, sources exclusively tell Page Six.

British “Stay With Me” singer Smith has been in talks with Bond producer Barbara Broccoli about singing the theme and is the clear winner, disappointing Del Rey, who had lobbied hard.

While a rep for Del Rey didn’t respond, a rep for Smith said, “That is not confirmed.”

The untitled new Bond film starring Daniel Craig is planned for November 2015 release.

So, now Smith's representatives seems to have changed their comment from a "He's not doing it" to “That is not confirmed.”

#198 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hmm, this feels too early, and he doesn't seem to have a big enough international profile.

#199 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hmm, this feels too early, and he doesn't seem to have a big enough international profile.

Waaaaaaay too early. We won't know the singer of the title song until roughly July or August.

#200 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

How is this even a realistic point for discussion at this stage? I used to think this was one of the last things to be decided, when there is already a fair amount of footage for the composer to capture a certain mood for the final film. When exactly did this change to settling for an artist before the first frame was even shot (as far as we know)?

#201 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Adele dropped a huge hint that she was about to record the demo in the September before filming on Skyfall had started. 

#202 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

How is this even a realistic point for discussion at this stage? I used to think this was one of the last things to be decided, when there is already a fair amount of footage for the composer to capture a certain mood for the final film. When exactly did this change to settling for an artist before the first frame was even shot (as far as we know)?

I think with the lack of any new information for a couple weeks, people are beginning to speculate and stretch again. Unfortunately, once the rumors run their course and no new information is given, the conversation topics start to get strained, in my opinion.

#203 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:13 AM

Adele dropped a huge hint that she was about to record the demo in the September before filming on Skyfall had started. 

Yep. At the very least, conversations with title artists are happening at this time, even if they don't have a lock.

#204 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

Yep. At the very least, conversations with title artists are happening at this time, even if they don't have a lock.

I got that last time and it baffled me then. Still does so now, to be honest. What if Adele's take had been horrible?

I understand that nowadays artists have got to be booked with some time in advance, if only for the tricky details of their schedules and contracts. Still, at this point I would have thought it is still a question of a number of acts handing in some kind of demo at some point down the line, more likely far down the line, time and schedule permitting. I'm not sure who's got the final say on which take to go with in the end. But it's hardly conceivable a definite decision has already been made. In the end even an artist of considerable reputation has to come up with a halfway solid song.

#205 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

I got that last time and it baffled me then. Still does so now, to be honest. What if Adele's take had been horrible?

This will be why she did a demo so long before she was announced. Once that was agreed, everything moved forward. 

Like with Blondie (as far back as 81), if a song can't be agreed upon, there is time and a stipulation in the contract that they can get someone else.

#206 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

I love Tegan and Sara but that wound never happen

That would be awesome, but you're right, it will probably never happen.

Gaga might be surprisingly good- but then again she might not.

#207 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

If it's indeed true that Sam Smith edged out Lana Del Rey, than I'm a tad speechless. I'm not a fan of Smith, I don't like his vocals. As for Lana Del Rey, She has a good voice, but I don't care much for her lyrics. At this point, it doesn't matter who does it. I haven't actually enjoyed a Bond song and listened to it on repeat since Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name", then again I am a massive fan of Cornell and his Solo/Audioslave/Soundgarden work. Call me bias.

#208 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

I love YKMN as well, definitely one of the best Bond songs ever.

As to Sam Smith - I consider that is just one of those rumors that always swirl around much too early to be true.  Just drumming up some attention for Smith.

I guess Adele was approached earlier due to her massive star status.  But as far as I know most other performers chosen for Bond were not even considered before production had started.  Smith might be one of those names thrown around - but in the end, it depends on SONY pushing one of their artists who need it the most.

Um, is Smith one of theirs?

#209 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Um, is Smith one of theirs?

His record label is Capitol, but it seems that Sony/ATV do have some interest in him. 

Sam Smith and Sony/ATV "Win" Publishing for Quarter 3 of 2014 on Back of "Stay With Me"

Third quarter numbers are in from music publishing companies (via Billboard) and two bodies come out on top: Sony/ATV Music and...Sam Smith.

The British crooner had a number of factors going for him this quarter. The first, of course, is his hit single "Stay With Me," received the most spins on radio this quarter, one of the largest sources of publishing royalties for musicians.

Sony/ATV has at least some bit of ownership in 64 of the Top 100 radio songs from the last quarter, including "Stay With Me,".

http://www.musictime...3-2014-back.htm

#210 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Page Six is reporting that chart-topping recording artist Sam Smith will sing the theme:

http://www.firstshow...=zergnet_313506

Listening to some of his music now, don't really care for it hope this is just speculation.