This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1921 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

In fairness, he said he thought he was the first openly gay man to win an Oscar.

He's totally wrong, of course, and should have done his research. But hey, he wrote WOTW in 20 minutes, right? Genius knows no forethought.

#1922 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

In fairness, he said he thought he was the first openly gay man to win an Oscar.

He's totally wrong, of course, and should have done his research. But hey, he wrote WOTW in 20 minutes, right? Genius knows no forethought.

In 88 years he thought he was the first openly gay man in showbusiness to get one? He's not exactly razor sharp. You'd think even he would have heard of Elton John!

Who's Thom Yorke again? :)

#1923 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

He has already said in interviews that he didn't write it in 20 minutes and that he was wrong to say he had.

________________________________________________________________________________________

#1924 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

Should've been Lady Gaga.

Not that I don't like WOTW, but Til It Happens to You had more power and relevance than does just another Bond song.

#1925 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

He has already said in interviews that he didn't write it in 20 minutes and that he was wrong to say he had.

________________________________________________________________________________________

That's good to know :)

I think my comment came across much harsher than intended. For the record, I don't think it's a bad song.

#1926 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

I think my comment came across much harsher than intended. For the record, I don't think it's a bad song.

Here's one of those interviews by the way.

http://deadline.com/...iew-1201701674/

I quote:- "I made up I had written the song in 20 minutes which was not the case"

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1927 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:22 AM

I'd even go so far as to say it's not Smith so much that bugs me than specifically the way he sings it. He certainly could have sung it differently, he just set out to do it in his trademark style; that's what makes it such a tough piece for me...

Totally agree. When he sings in a normal voice, he does a really good job and the song is enjoyable and is a worthy entry in the Bond canon. It's only when Smith goes to the falsetto that he and the song hit the skids and the result is an unsatisfactory effort that leaves the listener wanting something more and/or different. Take out the falsetto and you could have something really special. As it is, the song is mediocre--but apparently an Oscar-winner.

#1928 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 AM

I quote:- "I made up I had written the song in 20 minutes which was not the case"

Still, he can't be surprised that people latched onto that comment.  Much like Craig's ignorant comments during the promotion of Spectre, Smith's 20-minute comment was fair game because he's the one that put it out there.

The difference being that Smith deserves some leeway to backtrack where Craig doesn't.  Smith is essentially a hired gun or a private contractor, hired to do a relatively small piece of work on the film.  Craig is now a producer on the films and should be expected to conduct himself accordingly.

#1929 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

Well, congrats to Sam on the Oscar. Did he deserve it? In contrast to the other nominees, I would say yes.

Gaga's performance was pretty great, but the song itself seemed less of a song and more of a preachy After School Special (remember those?) about being a victim of sexual violence. Necessary, yes, but not that enjoyable.

#1930 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

Still, he can't be surprised that people latched onto that comment.

He's a prize berk and seems to be in a constant state of surprise about the world around him.

#1931 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

To be fair, he was nobody two years ago and now he's an award-winning superstar. I'd be surprised by the world around me too in such a rarified atmosphere.

But remember, Sam - you're only the flavour of the month. Don't go buying a mansion, expecting to pay for it with next year's earnings.

#1932 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

Happy for Smith.

He has the same number of Oscars as Leonardo Dicaprio.

#1933 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Happy for Smith.

He has the same number of Oscars as Leonardo Dicaprio.

It's a cruel world.

#1934 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

As contrasting thanks speech's go...

#1935 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

To my surprise, even with Sam Smith's voice, WOTW is now my favorite theme of the Craig era; better than YKMN and Skyfall, and infinitely better than AWTD, the worst song of them all. And I can live with Smith's voice because the theme he and Napes composed is so damned good! I was happy to know it won an Oscar, not because it was necessarily the best song, but because others share an appreciation for it.

Edited by mattjoes, 12 March 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#1936 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

And I can live with Smith's voice because the theme he and Napes composed is so damned good!

Exactly. The melody itself is so beautiful (just listen to karaoke version, it's very poignant) that it makes Smith's voice tolerable, and after repeated listenings, it makes you understand how great a song it is.

Also, the lyrics. They're wonderful. You can really feel Bond being haunted by his past, every time he got close to his happy ending something took it away ("I've been here before, but always hit the floor"). So far the only aim of his life was surving and getting away, but now he's found someone with whom he may be happy, but he's unsure whether to risk or to play it safe ("I never shoot to miss").

#1937 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:25 AM

There are much better Bond songs than this, ("Nobody Does It Better", "Live and Let DIe", "You Only Live Twice"), but the Academy competition this year was weak, and WOTW was better than the other nominees (but not better than "For Your Eyes Only" which lost, rightfully, to "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross in 1981.)  I can live with it in the Bond canon, but it's not making me buy any Sam Smith CDs either.

#1938 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

Well, to be fair, no Bond song made me buy more music from the performer.

#1939 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Well, to be fair, no Bond song made me buy more music from the performer.

Same experience with me. I'm usually a fan of the particular performer to begin with, eg. Paul McCartney, Madonna, etc.

#1940 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

There are much better Bond songs than this, ("Nobody Does It Better", "Live and Let DIe", "You Only Live Twice"), but the Academy competition this year was weak, and WOTW was better than the other nominees (but not better than "For Your Eyes Only" which lost, rightfully, to "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross in 1981.)  I can live with it in the Bond canon, but it's not making me buy any Sam Smith CDs either.

You don't have to be a fan of Sam Smith's music to like WOTW. Infact, I love Writing's on the Wall but absolutely hate any other song he's made.

Edited by Walecs, 14 March 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#1941 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:35 AM

Also, the lyrics. They're wonderful. You can really feel Bond being haunted by his past, every time he got close to his happy ending something took it away ("I've been here before, but always hit the floor"). So far the only aim of his life was surving and getting away, but now he's found someone with whom he may be happy, but he's unsure whether to risk or to play it safe ("I never shoot to miss").

And let's not forget, "if I risk it all, will you break my fall?" Best part of the song; infused with a sense of tragedy but also of hope. Another highlight: the instrumental section accompanied in the film by the brilliant image of the Spectre members sitting down at the meeting.

#1942 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

And let's not forget, "if I risk it all, will you break my fall?" Best part of the song; infused with a sense of tragedy but also of hope. Another highlight: the instrumental section accompanied in the film by the brilliant image of the Spectre members sitting down at the meeting.

Exactly, and well said. "Sense of tragedy but also hope".

#1943 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

Finally voted. The songs great IMO and my favorite of the Craig films. Least favorite: QOS. I didn't like the song the first time I heard it but it has grown on me. 

I"m not entirely crazy about the title sequence though. CR and QOS had their owns themes and ran with them but SF and SP seem all over the place. There isn't an overall theme that ties the sequence together IMO. I miss the simplicity of the more 2D title sequences, CR had cards and QOS had the dessert but SF and SP seem like one of those media player light effects IMO with the visualizations just set to random.