#91 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

My review for "That Which Divides" by Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward is a familiar name to Star Trek, he wrote the last of the Pocket Book Novels for the Original Series and also from time to time is a featured article writer on startrek.com, just giving a little background on him.

Now onto my review. This novel is a sequel of sorts to 2 OS Episodes, mainly 'That Which Survives' and 'The Galileo Seven'. The only reference to the Galileo 7 you need to know is Lt. Boma, the officer who clashed with Spock returns in this novel. I would also recommend watching 'That Which Survives' before reading this novel so you aren't lost as to what is going on. The plot is simple, a low tech world sends out a ship that accidentally encounters a Federation starship, and they join the Federation. This low tech world also has a rift that opens up to a world that has a bountiful supply of energy. The rift opens every 3 years, and when a Federation ship investigates the rift and crashes-Kirk is oredered to salvage the ship before the rift closes. This low tech world is also near the Romulan border and we get to see them in action, as their female Commander, Vathreal investigates the planet, and her ship also crashes, sending more Romulans to investigate. On the surface of the rift world, Spock and Boma believe the rift is not a natural phenomenon and are in a race to secure the planet from the Romulans. The Enterprise crew races against the clock and some difficult odds to win the day, but lives are lost, and difficult decisions are made as the truth about the rift reveals the plans of a long dead alien race.

The bad-this has been done before. The Rift by Peter David is a similar story, albeit with Pike as the Enterprise CO in the beginning and then 20 yrs later with Kirk returning to the same planet. Also the Romulan commander I really hoped would be the one from 'The Enterprise Incident' but wasn't. And while I don't mind watching an old episode, please let me know at the beginning of the book (Cry of the Onlies did this, wish more would). Also, I had a problem with the length of some of the chapters, 1 chapter would be 8 pages while the next would be 4 or 5. No offense to talented writers but I like consistency here.

But the good outweighs the bad. Ward follows the OS very well, and I liked that this was not only a Kirk, Spock, and McCoy story, but an ensemble feel. Using Boma was a good idea, as we learn why he left the Enterprise and what he's been up to. Also supporting characters like Uhura, Kyle & M'Ress get some attention, and play roles in helping solve the crisis. Another good thing is you can tell the author had fun writing this, his enthusiasm drips off every page and that makes it fun to read, as I did while reading this novel. Plus its good to read a novel where there isn't something that can destroy the universe, give me a goof Trek political thriller anyday.

While this is only the 2nd "Modern" Pocket Book OS Trek novel I have read, I have to say this one was as good as "Troublesome Minds" in some areas and in others a lot better. While I haven't really had a need to go get the new OS novels, i am glad I got this one. While I look forward to (I hope) novels in the reboot Trek, I liked this one a lot. If you see this at a bookstore please get it. It's not a bad read.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Coming soon: My Review of the 1st 6 issues of the new Star Trek monthly series

#92 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

A Brief Review of Star Trek Comic Books by hcmv007

Gold Key held the 1st Star Trek License and published 61 issues from 1967-1979. While this series did help in the "Dark Times" of Star Trek, none of the stories make sense now that more information/continuity has been established. Some of the art is good, while the other artists make you cringe. However the Trek would go on into another company-Marvel. The 1st Marvel run lasted 18 issues, highlighted by the adaptation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The only notable issues in this series dealt with McCoy's daughter marrying a much older Vulcan ambassador. IDW Publishing recently released an Omnibus of this run. The best art though sadly is the cover art.

But that would change in 1983. After the success of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, DC took over under the supervision of Mike Barr, with art by the pencil/ink team of Tpm Sutton/Ricardo Villagran who would go on to handle the art in the 56 issues of this run. Ublike the others, there are some good stories and events that happen here. In the 1st issue, Kirk is given command of the Enterprise-as this takes place after Khan. There is no Spock in the early issues. The Klingons have a wormhole weapon that enables them to sneak attack anywhere in the Federation. One of the Klingons, Konom, ends up helping Kirk stop them. This series introduces 3 other young Starfleet officers: Nancy Bryce (who ends up marrying Konom and backs up Sulu at the helm) Elizabeth Sherwood (Who is at Science when Saavik isn't) and William Bearclaw (Who is in security and the only openly racist character in Star Trek; also Native American). Other highlights are the Mirror Universe Saga which runs about 7 issues and is collected in a TPB. Issue 20 features the 1st issue written by a series actor as Walter Koenig writes a special Chekov story. A lot gets explained here, such as how Uhura goes from wearing gold to wearing red (Yes she actually wore a gold uniform-Corbomite Manuever) and what happens in between the 2nd and 3rd films. After ST III, Kirk is given the Excelsior for a few issues and there are some OS issues as well. Once ST IV came out, the series was winding down, and IMO some of the best stories came out. The 1st is Star Trek Annual #3 which covers the one true love of Montgomery Scott-Glynns Campbell. It's drawn by the legend himself-Curt Swan (Who drew a few Trek Comics and most notably drew Superman for years) so its one to get. Who Killed Capt Kirk brings back Finnegan, Kirk's Acedmy rival, and some other events-Bryce & Konom's wedding, Sulu & M'Ress getting it on, Dante's Inferno being lived out on the Enterprise and a good whodunit. Of course soome things shined on here that I really liked, among them towards the end Peter David started writing and his stories (Annual #3, Who Killed Kirk, etc) really hit the nail on the head. Also, Konom served on the Enterprise a good 3 years before Worf would in ST:TNG. While the only Federation Starships you see are Enterprise, Excelsior and Reliant vessels, you still get some interesting ones. All the adversaries (Klingons, Romulans, Orions, Excalbians, Organians, etc) all make appearances here. Also, the 1st mini series of ST:TNG appears here, and while the art of Pablo Marcus makes this a good read, the story does not. And that's where the bad comes in on the 1st DC run. In the TNG mini series, Q "kills" Geordi and Data acts with surprising emotions vowinkg to kill Q (WTF?). Also in the monthly its clear Bearclaw is a racist and poor officer as his temper gets him and the ship in trouble, but its not until the 49th issue when Kirk finally kicks his @$$ off the ship-but won't until they get to a starbase (Personally I'd airlock his @$$; Bryce, Sherwood & Konom were all fine examples of good Starfleet officers, but Konom could not go past the rank of Lt. JG). Then some of the characters, one in particular was named Sterno and he was described as a giant & you never saw his face (how the Hell did he move around in the ship anyway?) and a Horta officer (how does he not melt a chair when he sits in one and how does a Horta sit?) DC would learn from their mistakes and the hiatus would only be 18 months.

The 2nd DC series kicked off with the adaptation of Star Trek V, and a new monthly followed. ST:TNG also got its 1st monthly here by Michael Jan Friedman and art by Pablo Marcus. On the OS side, Peter David is back as the writer and art is handled by James Fry, who IMO did a great job making the characters look aged, but still not too old. While the TNG monthly had no real interference from Gene Roddenberry, the OS monthly did. If you read the 1st 12 issues you note some jumps in stories-in particular issue 6 which hints at a Starfleet Vice Admiral planning to hand Kirk over to the Klingons. In Issue 7 there is a change of venue without explanation. Of course there are some good moments, a new Theocratic race called the Nasgul appear (They are yellow skinned black eyed humanoids) who worship a leader called the Salla, who can kill at a distance using telepathy. Kirk rescues a criminal from there, and while the criminal dies, the Salla fails to kill Kirk, earning him the Salla's wrath. The Klingon ambassador from ST IV is back and offers a bounty on Kirk, as does the Salla who keeps one upping the Klingon. Then there is RJ Blaise, assigned to the Enterprise as Protocol Officer (Think Counselor Troi without the psychiatry). She was to be the next love of Kirk's life, but Roddenbery said no (he didn't want any of the crew to be married, and they didn't want to confuse new readers to the series or people who watched the films by having Kirk have an 'unknown' girlfriend). As a matter of fact he kept saying no to a lot of Peter David's stories that he left after issue 12 as the sole writer. He came back for a few stories in issues 13-15 but Billy Mumy of Lost In Space and Pre-Babylon 5 co wrote with him. Issue 16 features J. Michael Straczynsky the creator of Babylon 5 writing a story in the time of the OS. After that, Howard Weinstein took over the writing, and while some stories were good, the art took a hit. Gordon Purcell was the only good artist they got (Curt Swan did the 1st annual in the new series) but there aren't any other notable artists. Some issues were good, the last Peter David written issue was #19 and featured the death of an Ensign on a away mission who took a shot meant for Kirk. As Kirk is asked to give a eulogy, he realizes he knows nothing about the Ensign who sacrificed himself, and neither does anyone else who knew him. In the end, Kirk gives an excellent eulogy. Also, you see the Klingons as allies in 1 stroy arc, the return of Klaa & Vixix from ST V in several issues, and the return of Gary Seven, Harry Mudd and Trelane. Another 1st is Captain Sulu and his 1st assignment on the Excelsior and the return of Saavik to the Enterprise. In the TNG monthly, you get some good 2-3 issue story arcs and thankfully not the 5-6 month arcs some OS monthly stories got. I found this easier to read since they followed some events in the show very well (Okona, the smuggler in Season 2 is back), even Dr. Pulaski makes an appearance later on. One story dealt with a telepathic race that had 2 queens fighting for pwere and an aide taking over Chief O'Brien's mind. While playing a poker game and being observed by a young Ensign eager to learn poker sees O'Brien toss out one of his 2 queens. Once Geordi learns of this he stops O'Brien from carrying out his attempt and the would be telepathic assassin is caught. The better monthly was the TNG one as there was little interference from Paramount or Gene Roddenberry, and their stories are more fast paced and action packed-unlike the original. In 1996, DC published the final issues of both monthy titles stopping at #80 for both. One other highlight is the Graphic Novel Debt of Honor by X-Men scribe Chris Claremont which IMO should have been Star Trek V. Read it!

Malibu Comics took the ST: DS9 series and brought back Mike Barr to write and Gordon Purcell to handle the art. The 1st storyline was good-a side note the Captain in Issue #1 of DS9 is modeled after John Tesh (They must like his soft, quiet music on long space voyages as well as his Intelligence for Your Life. Not a Teshg hater, BTW I do like the guy). But Malibu would be bought by the House of Ideas-Marvel Comics.

Marvel got the license a 2nd time and IMO did better by offering something different to the table. Voyager was now on the air and got a monthly, Marvel also wrapped up the DS9 monthly too. They also offered 2 titles that were IMO very good, but alas Marvel would not hold the license long. The 1st monthly I will discuss deals with the place that molded Kirk, Picard and Sisko-Starfleet Academy. Nog from DS9 highlights the main cast but its Matt Decker (the great great grand nephew of the Constellation CO from the Doomsday Machine) and an Andorian female, human female and Vulcan (Romulan spy) female. The run was about 17 issues and there were some good stories, hopefully IDW will give us an Omnibus of this one as they did with the Early Voyages, IMO the best monthly series ever to be done for Star Trek. The Early Voyages highlight Captain Pike's run on the Enterprise, so we get to see Lt. Spock in action. One of the last issues has Pike in the movie years as the Enterprise CO and James T. Kirk and Montgomery Scott as criminals. This series took a lot of chances, and is just plain fun to read. Sadly, Marvel lost the license back to DC which published Star Trek comics under the Wildstorm imprint, so while it was technically owned by DC there was no DC logo on the issues. These issues were mainly one shots or mini series. The Gorn Crisis is the best one, but the art is just terrible. In 2002, the Star Trek comics died. It would be a long 4 years to wait. If you like, you can own all of the above mentioned comics on CD-ROM as they are all out. Except for the Star Trek/X-Men crossovers. The TNG/X-Men sucked while the OS/X-Men may have the best line ever when Kirk tells Jean Grey how beautiful she is and she responds by saying her husband Cyclops thinks so as well, all Kirk can say is "Oh."

IDW now has the publishing rights, and IMO has done very well. They have spotlighted aliens (Klingon, Vulcan, Romulan, Borg, Andorian, Gorn (usiing the Reliant crew right before the events of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), Cardassians, you name the race they did a one shot of them). They have done mostly mini series from TNG and the OS ,and are currently doing the monthly series that takes place after the 2009 film (my reviews coming soon on the 1st 6 issues). Star Trek has been in comic form now off and on for 45 years, and shows no signs of slowing down.

#93 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

Issue #8 on sale tomorrow of the monthly series-wraps up an original story!

Alice Eve has been saying she's having fun shooting the sequel-she won't say who her character is (I am going with Chapel) in an article on eonline today.

#94 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

New Trek Novel went on sale yesterday-Forgotten History by Christopher Bennett, a Department of Temporal Investigations novel. For those not familiar, recall the "Trials & Tribbleations" episode of DS9, this has the same 2 investigators from the DTI and this explains the origin of that department and goes into one of Kirk's 17 violations of time travel.

#95 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I've been out of the Trek loop, so thanks for this thread HCMV.

#96 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Your welcome bud.

I misspoke about Issue #8-its out on May 2nd

#97 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

hcmv007 reviews the new Star Trek Monthly

Okie dokie, here it is. This takes place after the 2009 film, and the 1st 6 issues retell the famous OS Episodes, "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "The Galileo Seven" & "Operation: Annihilate!"

Where No Man Has Gone Before-4.5 out of 5

Story-4
Art-5

The best thing in this is the art of Stephen Molnar, who gets all the likenesses down pat, and is the best artist in the bunch. While no Elizabeth Dehner (explained nicely BTW), this is predictable. You know Kelso dies, you know Gary Mitchell does too, and that is sad. I hoped we would get to see him and Kirk more before this happened or he would get cured.

The Galileo Seven-3.6 out of 5

Story-4.25
Art-3

We all know the story, but there are a couple twists that are nicely pulled off. Stephen Molnar does good work, but Joe Phillips who draws this with him didn't fare so well. The evil in this is the editiing, McCoy at times is colored with a red shirt, as is Boma who should be in blue. On the plus side we get Janice Rand!

Operation: Annihilate! 5 out of 5

Story-5
Art-5

This was the one I was waiting for-we get to see what happens to Kirk after he wrecks the Mustang, and we get to meet George Samuel Kirk-even if he does look like a pirate. The story from the OS episode is good-we get to see Yeoman Zahra, and a Nurse Chapel mention. It should be noted that Kirk doesn't call his brother Sam, but George, and we learn the final fate of Winona Kirk. In the end, Kirk is reunited with his family, and the slime devil scourge is over. While this was perfect I did have one problem-editing. We have George beaming down to the surface with Zahra informing Kirk of this event, but when he arrives we see Rand (It looked like Rand anyway). Still, issues 5 & 6 are the best so far.

Issues 7 & 8 are an all new story. Issues 9 & 10 will re-tell Return of the Archons, while 11 & 12 brings us The Trouble With Tribbles (And hopefully Klingons!)

#98 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

Your welcome

#99 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

New info about the sequel on trekmovie.com

I wont post the spoilers here, but they are intriguing

#100 Andrew House

Andrew House

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for a great thread. I've just recently become a fan of the series. I'm currently watching TNG on Netflix and can't wait to watch all of the other series. I always dismissed the show as ridiculous until recently. I finally gave it a chance and loved it. So far my favorite character is Data.

Andrew

#101 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for a great thread. I've just recently become a fan of the series. I'm currently watching TNG on Netflix and can't wait to watch all of the other series. I always dismissed the show as ridiculous until recently. I finally gave it a chance and loved it. So far my favorite character is Data.

Andrew

Glad to be of help; I grew up on ST:TNG so I am glad you are enjoying it! When I first saw it I liked Data as well, very interesting way he sees things. If you want to read the books I will recommend 2 for you, both by Jean Lorrah-the 1st is called Survivors and it takes place during the 1st season & the 1st giant novel Metamorphosis which takes place in the 2nd season. Great books to read as Data takes center stage in both of them.

Now onto the review-the only book in the Shatnerverse I will review-b/c its the only one in a Trade Paperback format

Ashes of Eden

Writer-William Shatner w/ Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Artist-Steve Erwin

First onto the story. I have to admit, when I heard Shatner was going to write a Trek novel I was eagerly anticipating this. While I found TekWar to be somewhat dull, I found it to be interesting. Then on the day I was to buy the novel, I saw the Trade, and since it was a few bucks cheaper, I bought it instead of the novel. The pleasant thing is when it comes to books, you cant get any better than the Stevens' as they have written some of the best material in Trek, so for them to assist (or Shatner assist them) is very welcome here. The Trade starts off with Kirk reliving his younger days in a holo suit, similar to the holodeck which will later be seen, and then flashes back to his apartment as he stares out into the rainy night, wanting to take out the Enterprise 1 last time. Not even Carol Marcus, whose appearance here is welcome cannot console him. The next night, at a ceremony for Androvar Drake to be the new Starfleet CNC, (also Kirk and Drake have a past) Kirk decides to leave Starfleet for good. While at the party he sees an exotic young woman, who begins to approach him but backs off when Drake arrives to gloat at his new position, and to tell him the Enterprise will be put to war games and go out in a blaze of glory. Kirk ends his night early, as Spock and McCoy look on. The next morning Kirk goes to his parents Iowa farm, as he is to sell it, and is greeted by the young woman from the party, a half Klingon-half Romulan woman named Teilani. When they are both attacked, they fight their way out and Teilani convinces Kirk to come with her to Chal, her homeworld. In the meantime, Chekov and Uhura are in an undercover intelligence mission, and are aided by a woman named Jade. They are doublecrossed when Chal is mentioned and nearly die until Sulu rescues them. As they return to Earth, Drake convinces Sulu that Kirk is involved in a conspiracy against Starfleet. Uhura, Chekov, Spock and McCoy join the Excelsior to investigate. In the meantime, Teilani has acquired 2 important things: The Enterprise, and Scotty to be her engineer. As Scotty feels uncomfortable turning the Enterprise into an armed gunship and Kirk's "carrying on" with Teilani. As the story evolves, there is more to Chal. Kirk feels young, but as Scotty will point out, they had their youth and now its gone. Soon, the truth about Chal is revelaed, and Kirk and Teilani go their seperate ways.

The way the supporting cast was handled is excellent. Even though this is a Kirk story, Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, Spock, McCoy and Scotty are wonderfully handled and beautifully written. Kirk's relationship with Teilani is natural despite the age difference (Kirk is listed being 63 years old, Teilani is thought to be at least 20), and the highs and lows that come with such a gap. But what makes this work is the way at least in Kirk's mind, his friends turn their backs to him. Spock, McCoy and Scotty do, and we see how Kirk is hurt by that. Sulu makes his case to be the new captain of the new flagship of Starfleet, and the way the book ends sets up the God awful movie Generations very nicely. It was good to see the original crew in action 1 more time, and is the only book in the "Shatnerverse" to do so.

Art-Steve Erwin has drawn Star Trek before, and the results have been hit or miss. Having Jimmy Palmiotti as his inker however makes his art stand out more. Kirk looks like Shatner. McCoy like DeForest Kelly-you get the picture. Teilani is drawn as beautifully as you expect, and Chal's landscapes are breathtaking. All in all, a very good work. Reading the forward, you can tell this is a dream project for all involved.

Conclusion-Not since Star Trek 2 have we had this much insight into the man of James T. Kirk, as this isn't about his rank, or his facing an old enemy. This is about the man-not the legend he has become. The struggles are natural, the story is well paced and there are a few surprises here and there. A very good read.

hcmv007's rating 5 out of 5 Buy it!

#102 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

From the Star Trek monthly issue #8-Cupcake's last name is Hendorff

#103 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

This Wednesday, the monthly series is back, and the episode 'Return of the Archons' is retold, but that isn't even the big story.

That is the 1st issue of the Star Trek: TNG/Doctor Who crossover titled "Assimilation 2" (its squared-can't really do equations on here). It's the current Doctor and Capt Picard fighting the combined Cybermen and the Borg, and this is one to add to your list.

I have checked with Diamond-these are out this Wed!

#104 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Star Trek: The Next Generation is coming to theaters on July 23rd!

Follow this link for the details:

http://www.fathomeve...ign=StarTrekTNG

#105 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Star Trek: The Next Generation is coming to theaters on July 23rd!

Follow this link for the details:

http://www.fathomeve...ign=StarTrekTNG

The behind the scenes material sounds like it alone would be worth the price of admission.

#106 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Last night was the 30th anniversary of Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan

"KHAAAAAAAANNNN!"

#107 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well it is time to officially celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation! The 1st episode I saw was the one where the children were kidnapped from that cloaked planet. Best 1st season episodes were The Battle & Conspiracy IMO. Since I was 9 when it came out, it was cool to have the toys! Looking back Galoob did great on the sculpting but the line had problems. The toys came packaged w/ a tricorder they couldn't hold, a phaser molded into the hand, and the non phaser arm was bent at a 90 degree angle. At least it helped me learn angles. Plus the aliens-Q, Antican, Selay & Ferengi were impossible to find. Still, the NG series lasted a long time 7 yrs and was spun off twice in Deep Space 9 & Voyager.

Happy 25th ST:TNG

#108 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Anyone think we'll see Lt. Gary Mitchell in the 2nd installment of the reboot?

#109 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Anyone think we'll see Lt. Gary Mitchell in the 2nd installment of the reboot?

Actually in the 1st 2 issues of the monthly comic series from IDW it retells "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Of course many are speculating the villain in the new film is Gary Mitchell (Played by Bernard Cumberpatch).

But I really hoped they would have kept him alive, it would be interesting to see him interact with the crew, and Kirk. He's one of my favorite Trek characters BTW.

#110 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Of course this could all be a ploy by JJ to derail everyone. The Tholian Web would be my choice for a good retelling, followed by Where No Man Has Gone Before - both are excellent choices!

#111 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

We will find out soon, Red. Teaser trailer to come later this fall!

In the comic world, Brannon Braga is writing a TNG comic mini series for IDW called The Hive. The 1st 2 issues are out now! It is a post Nemesis Borg story, and it is quite intriguing.

#112 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

anyone a fan of the start trek 2 aka Star trek Into Darkness? I think it is simple and interesting title I like it

#113 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

On November 29th your local theaters will show a preview of ST:TNG season 2 on blu-ray! Episodes will be 'Q Who' & 'Measure of a Man. There is also 13 minutes added to the latter episode, as wll as other features. Check startrek.com for the details

#114 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS has an approved synopsis

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

#115 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

First Trailer for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Will Be Attached to Non-IMAX Screenings of THE HOBBIT

#116 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Anyone else hoping beyond hope that the tribbles return?

#117 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Did everyone see that trailer? It definitely looks cool, and I am not a fan of star trek

#118 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Anyone else hoping beyond hope that the tribbles return?

LOL now I am. 

#119 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

I can see it now Star Trek: The Trouble with Tribbles The Motion Picture....with the return of William Shatner.

#120 thecasinoroyale

thecasinoroyale

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14358 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the TV series, but loved all of the original films and the TNG ones - the new 'Star Trek' film was good, I did enjoy it, but this 'Into Darkness' trailer does look super, a real dark adventure, and I reckon Cumberbatch has nailed the bad-guy voice, that's certain!