Now that´s.... very funny.

#63 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Will be posting my favorite OS & Enterprise episodes soon since its the 45th & 10th anniversaries respectively.

#64 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

1st 2 issues of the Star Trek monthly are out. Not a bad retelling of 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', the next is 'The Galileo 7' in issues 3 & 4 & then 'Operation: Annihilate!' starting in issue 5 (I am looking forward to that). Would like an original story but I hope the take Harlan Ellison's script for City on the Edge of Forever & allow us to see the episode as it should have aired.

#65 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Who thought Hitler was a Star Trek fan? For the 2 of you who haven't seen this

#66 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

I ordered William Shatner´s docu "THE CAPTAINS" on DVD - and I must say it´s wonderful. A real treat for any fan. Check it out!

#67 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I ordered William Shatner´s docu "THE CAPTAINS" on DVD - and I must say it´s wonderful. A real treat for any fan. Check it out!

What was with Avery Brooks? I'm glad he seemed so happy and at ease but wow! Even the Shat had to bring it up at that fan convention.

#68 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

And making her debut in the Abramsverse is Yeoman Janice Rand in Issue 3 of the monthly! Her beehive is a mini version, as this is a revamp of the Galileo 7 episode. Waiting for Nurse Chapel now....

#69 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Interesting that Peter "Robocop" Weller has been added to the cast of the new film:

http://omg.yahoo.com...-190549952.html

"Dead or alive, creep, you're beaming up with me..."

#70 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Interesting that Peter "Robocop" Weller has been added to the cast of the new film:

http://omg.yahoo.com...-190549952.html

"Dead or alive, creep, you're beaming up with me..."

Can't wait for the scene where Uhuru is held captive by a thug holding a phaser to her head, and Weller shoots his phaser directly through her skirt and fries the balls of the thug. It should be a great scene!

#71 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Can't wait for the scene where Uhuru is held captive by a thug holding a phaser to her head, and Weller shoots his phaser directly through her skirt and fries the balls of the thug. It should be a great scene!

I'd buy that for a dollar!

#72 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

Alice Eve cast as well, wonder if she's Chapel?

#73 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

What was with Avery Brooks? I'm glad he seemed so happy and at ease but wow! Even the Shat had to bring it up at that fan convention.

Well, Jazz can be a drug...

#74 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

Good news on the monthly comic; starting in March with Issue #7 there will be an all new story. That's right-no retelling of an OS episode. A new artist takes over as Joe Corroney will do the interiors. He's done great on the recent covers for some of the Trek mini-series. The story will center on some of the Vulcan Remnant taking revenge on the Romulans. Comes out in March.

#75 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

Loved the doc, saw it last month. It hit me on a personal level with the discussions of their careers decimating their personal relationships. That's the career I've wanted forever, and at times get frustrated at the pace it's going, but then I think of my wife of over 8 years, and how impossible that would be for me to sacrifice for that career. I'm also touched by seeing people with mental handicaps that get to experience things in life that we take for granted-- the young guy who came so far to that Vegas convention just to *see* Shatner, and actually gets to meet him backstage. Not gonna lie, I shed quite a few tears at that. I mean, if he was on camera at all then it was a foregone conclusion that he'd be meeting Shatner (the director), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he got to meet someone that he looked at as a fantasy hero.

Brooks does in fact look a slight bit crazy, but I'd rather call it just really eccentric. I'd still love to be a grad student at Rutgers and studying the craft with him as my professor. Scott Bakula is always classy, Kate Mulgrew is a theatre actor's actor, and Chris Pine is...stubbly. Yep.

I'm with SAF, it's a must, Trekkies.

#76 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Issue 4 has come out for the new monthly based on the 2009 fil, and recaps the 'Galileo Seven'. I have to say this was a pleasant departure as it had a much different end than the original episode did. On the plus-Janice Rand makes her alternate reality debut!

Issues 5 & 6 will deal with the episode 'Operation: Annihilate!' and that means we get a look at Sam Kirk, (hopefully not as a corpse).

#77 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Loved the doc, saw it last month. It hit me on a personal level with the discussions of their careers decimating their personal relationships. That's the career I've wanted forever, and at times get frustrated at the pace it's going, but then I think of my wife of over 8 years, and how impossible that would be for me to sacrifice for that career. I'm also touched by seeing people with mental handicaps that get to experience things in life that we take for granted-- the young guy who came so far to that Vegas convention just to *see* Shatner, and actually gets to meet him backstage. Not gonna lie, I shed quite a few tears at that. I mean, if he was on camera at all then it was a foregone conclusion that he'd be meeting Shatner (the director), but it doesn't take away from the fact that he got to meet someone that he looked at as a fantasy hero.

Brooks does in fact look a slight bit crazy, but I'd rather call it just really eccentric. I'd still love to be a grad student at Rutgers and studying the craft with him as my professor. Scott Bakula is always classy, Kate Mulgrew is a theatre actor's actor, and Chris Pine is...stubbly. Yep.

I'm with SAF, it's a must, Trekkies.

It´s always a problem, combining career and private life. In the end, our society only celebrates the career - but the private life is the one to cherish. So... if you make it there, you will have a full life, my friend. The career is only an additional plus and - as Woody Allen says - 90 percent luck.

#78 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

Issue 5 hits your local comic book store on wed, but it may be on thurs due to MLK day.

Also-shooting has begun on the Star Trek sequal. Everyone is back from the 1st film, & I hope we get Rand & Chapel this time around.

On January 31, we get Star Trek: TNG on blu-ray.

On the toy front, Playmates is out of the running-or so I've heard. I hope Hasbro gets the license & makes the toys in scale with Star Wars. Of course I hope they get to not only do the sequal but all shows as well as past films. Fingers crossed.

#79 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

So, got a few new Trekkie friends together and started our movie watch, but there was no way we were making it through TMP without a drinking game, so allow me to suggest a good one for you guys in case you want to embrace your nerd-dom this hard. This was for the director's cut, if that makes any difference to anyone.

Drink anytime:

1. Kirk makes some BS excuse that he should be commanding the Enterprise (because he basically walks on board, goes to the new captain and says, "See these Admiral stripes? They're making a home in your big chair. Feel free to stay on board while you suck it."

2. Spock or any other character utters the word, "logic."

3. Scotty refers to the Enterprise as a "she."

4. Uhura utters the word, "Starfleet."

5. Sulu utters the word, "warp."

6. The Ilia-probe utters the word, "V'ger."

7. Anyone utters the word "non-belligerency."

8. Any Enterprise flyby lasts a minute or more.

Guaranteed to get you feeling three inertial dampers to the wind. :)

#80 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

That is awesome! Plus a great way to get trough that movie. But I have to admit it was nice to see the Directors cut & have the background complete.

But you still need some drinks to get through it.

#81 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Issue 5 of the new monthly is out, and it is a reboot of the OS Episode Operation: Annihilate! I'll get the bad out of the way first, I am not a fan of retelling all the OS episodes, I want new stories-which will start with Issue 7. The good here is we get a flashback in Kirk's life, as he deals with the fallout of wrecking the Mustang. Joe Corroney takes over as the interior artist, and his art is very good. He has drawn many covers to the other Star Trek comics and he does a fine job handling the interiors as well. On the good news Sam Kirk is alive, so not only do we get a new twist on this episode (similar to the Galileo Seven in issue 4), but Sam's role is a surprise as the payoff comes in issue 6.

Note to Hasbro-get the damn Star Trek license!

#82 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

According to eonline.com, Avery Brooks was arrested for a DUI, hearing date is Feb 9th

#83 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Happy Birthday to Brent "Data*, Lore & Dr. Noonien Soongh" Spiner!

*-only character who banged Tasha Yar

#84 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Just saw The Apple episode from Season 2 today. I almost burst out laughing when the natives were laughing at Spock saying things, for some reason. Decent episode I thought, and lots of redshirt deaths.

#85 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Great news!

Hasbro has acquired the toy license for Star Trek! First up is their Kreo line, similar to Lego & popularized with Transformers in 2013. Check out startrek.com for details!

#86 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

According to eonline.com, Avery Brooks was arrested for a DUI, hearing date is Feb 9th

And I thought he would only play the piano and sing UI...

#87 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

There have been several comic book Star Trek crossovers, currently Star Trek is in a crossover with the Legion of Super Heroes.

But now that changes as finally we will see 2 popular sci fi series blend together-IDW has announced a crossover with Star Trek: The Next Generation & Doctor Who! The current Doctor matches wits with Captain Picard in a 6 issue mini series coming soon!

#88 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Here's my review for the comic book mini series Star Trek: Burden of Knowledge

This 4 issue mini series is written by Scott & David Tipton with art by Federica Manfredi. That said, this is something of a mess of a mini series. The Enterprise in issue 1 meets a world that has advanced medical technology, called Mygdalia, & gets the chance to show it when Lt. Thompson (gold shirt btw) is badly hurt. Issue 2 makes little mention of the event but has an interesting story about a planet joined by social media & those who dissent in it. Issue 3 deals with Andorians reconfiguring the Enterprise's computer & nearly starting a war with the Tellarites-then we get a distress call from Lt. Thompson (remeber him) who happens to be on the bridge at the time of the distress call. Issue 4 wraps up things as Lt. Thompson somehow gets demoted to Ensign b/t issues 3 & 4 somehow & the medical secrets of Mygdalia are revealed.

The Tipton brothers have written Star Trek before, but this is too sloppily prepared. If seperated, this would have been good ideas for the monthly series taking place after the movie. Issue 2 IMO is the prime example of that-a very good take on social media. But sadly, issues 2 & the first 21 pgs of issue 3 have nothing to do with the primary story-its frustrating. Plus the editing-Thompson starts off as a Lt. then gets demoted to Ensign-what did he do to earn that? Call Kirk a [censored] or something? Sexually harass Uhura? WTF?! On the art front Miss Manfredi does a wonderful job with women-her rendition of Uhura is worth catching, as is Kirk's guide in issue 2. However her artistic style is too cartoony for Star Trek, her ships & stations look good, but the main characters dont look right, and are built too lean. They all look thin. If you come across this-buy issue 2, its a good read.

My rating (out of 5) is a 2 out of 5. Get it only if you are a Star Trek completist.

#89 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Here's my review on the most recent Trek novel I read, The Three Minute Universe by Barbara Paul

When I read a Star Trek novel, one of the highlights/lowlights is having a junior officer take over the A or B plot in the novel. Some writers keep it consistent like Peter David, Howard Weinstein and so on. Others, like Miss Paul focus on the main cast, and let Uhura & Chekov take the role that some of the author created characters have and give us deeper insight to our favorite Communications officer and Navigator. Of the many Trek novels I have read, this was probably the most fun I had reading and that is saying a lot.

The story begins with the Enterprise gettign a distress call and finding that a race has been rendered almost extinct. As Kirk and crew investigate, Spock theorizes that a universe is being created inside our own, and compares it to the 1st 3 minutes of our universe (hence the title). Miss Paul also borrows a concept from an OS episode in the race responsible for this new developement-a race called the Sackers-a race so physically ugly they make anyone who ses them violently ill. This was similar to the Medusan ambassador in the OS Episode "Is There In Truth No Beauty?", and it works for this novel. We learn that the Sackers must use force to get other races to make their ships, and are on a conquest to rule the galaxy. However there is a twist-the Sacker ship is run by children. So, Kirk, Chekov and Uhura are forced to help out the Sackers, and in a nod to Trek humor, the Sackers are given names by the Enterprise officers, and it seems to be an honor to be named. The lead Sacker is called Babe, one is named Pinky by Uhura, Chekov names several, the best one being Orangejuiceandwodka. In the end, the Enterprise and Spock save the day with the help of Kirk and his misdirection, as well as ad libbing by Uhura and Chekov. The Sackers, whose real name are the Vinithi, in the end make peace for what their parents have done, and work to find a home of their own to live peacefully.

Like I said, I really had fun reading this book, and it is a shame this was Miss Paul's only Star Trek novel. To me, the shocker was the made up crewman who normally takes center stage in the novels gets killed early on, so that had my attention. Plus, of all the Trek characters Nyota Uhura and Pavel Chekov never really get to take center stage, but here you get to see them do just that-even if it is supporting Kirk. I liked the way she handled Spock and McCoy as well keeping the barb trading between them at a respectable pace. Truth be told, I bought the book b/c Uhura was on the cover, and was glad to see her playing a big role in a novel. Even the adverdsaries, the Sackers, had a nice touch to them as well. While the action sequences were few in this book, the humor, even if its Star Trek humor, made this a very fun read.

In the end, my review (out of 5) is a 4 out of 5. It isn't an epic novel, but it is a lot of fun, puts our favorite characters in interesting situations and is a page turner. It isn't a 5 only b/c it falls into the predictable outcome category-but its a helluva lot of fun getting there.

Also while I am on my soap box-I know Amazon is a great place to get books and stuff from, but an even better place is a locally owned bookstore. Here in Baton Rouge there are a couple of good places that sell used books-Book Trader and Cottonwood Books. I like to go there and find the novels I am lookiing for first, and I always get good one on one service. Hopefully where you live you have some places like this to go to. I don't want it to sound like I am bashing Amazon or even if you have an e-reader or anything like that, but I always give the small guy a shot before I go to the big boys. Help out your local bookstore, they will be glad you dropped by!

#90 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Currently reading the new Star Trek novel 'That Which Divides' by Dayton Ward. I'll post my review once I am finished reading it.