220 replies to this topic

#31 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Been able to find a lot of good books on Amazon, but what about Comic Fans?

1) Best of ST:TNG-Includes hard to find mini series that started it all, and some of the early run in 1989. Great start for Next GEn fans

2) Best of Peter David. Best Trek writer ever.

3) Who Killed Captain Kirk? Covers the last 9 issues of DC's first run. FOr all you freaks, Sulu gets lucky with M'Ress. So is she Demora's mother? Also has the first issues of ST written by Peter David who cleaned up a lot of the cartoon gunk left by previous writers on the series

4) The Tabukan Conflict-Sulu's 1st mission commanding Excelsior!

5) The Modala Imperative-Covers the OS and Next Gen going to same world.

6) ST Annual #3-Included in best od Peter David and Best of Star Trek, this is a Scotty story and a bit of a tear jerker.

7) Star Trek Mission's End-An interesting race makes this compelling

8) Any of the Star Trek Alien Spotlights-IDW did great offering insights into Klingons, Romulans, Orion, Cardassians and Q.

9) STar Trek The Mirror Universe Saga-Updates the mirror universe, takes place after ST 3

10) Star Trek Omnibus 3-Covers the Marvel series with Pike commanding the Enterprise. Notable stories include an alternate future where Kirk is a pirate and Spock encounters a lost Vulcan colony. A cool what if had Shatner not been brought in

#32 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

Let me point this out; above list #4 is called Path to Courage but the comics themselves have the above title.

Now-I read the trade Khan: Ruling in Hell. Excellent story! We see Khan on Ceti Alpha leading his people and spending time w/Marla MacGivers before all hell breaks loose. Getting the origin of the ear creature is excellent, and the end is exactly where you think it would end. Excellent comic, good art and a worthy Star Trek tale.

#33 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

I have rediscovered STAR TREK big time this year, too.

I´m working my way through TOS on the new blu ray-sets (yes, with the enhanced effects). And I LOVE it. Despite some anachronistic elements that seem unintentionally funny today, TOS handled some really interesting themes with wonderful writing.

I´m also catching up with the last season of VOYAGER, a series which IMO has been badmouthed too often for no reason. So far, the last season really is fantastic.

Can´t wait to see the biggest STAR TREK exhibition in Potsdam, Germany, by the way, which starts today and ends in October.

#34 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

While I'm generally not a big fan of re-done effects, the remastered versions of the original series really do look incredible. By miles and miles the best picture I've seen from a 60s TV series, and for that matter probably better than any from the 70s, and even many from the 80s! The new special effects feel visually consistent with the rest of the show, and aren't jarring when they come up on screen. They did a great job.

I loved the early series of Voyager at the time, and I always feel like defending it when it's quickly dismissed (i.e. always). To be honest though, I rewatched one of my favourite episodes recently (the one where the doctor creates his own virtual family) and the main plot stood up, but I found a lot of the other characters dull and I ended up fastforwarding through the sub-plot. I also tried watching the 30th Anniversary episode with George Takai guest starring and couldn't get into it at all.

I'm going through Boston Legal at the moment and I'm guessing David E Kelly or someone high up in the show must have been a big Trek fan. Besides Bill and Rene it's amazing how many one time Trek regulars got a prominent guest spot.

#35 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Good news! IDW will be publishing a new monthly Star Trek comic series taking place after the 2009 film. Some stories will be updated takes of old episodes & some will feature new threats. New series starts this September-in time for 45th anniversary of Star Trek

#36 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

Good news! IDW will be publishing a new monthly Star Trek comic series taking place after the 2009 film. Some stories will be updated takes of old episodes & some will feature new threats. New series starts this September-in time for 45th anniversary of Star Trek

I heard about that! I'm looking forward to it!

#37 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Spock's mother should not have died in the reboot? Or, did she die so Sarek can marry again?

#38 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

I have a theory on that-Sarek marries Kirk's mother (if she is still alive when Kirk takes over as Enterprise CO).

Comic series overseen by Roberto Orci.

#39 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

News about the comic series:

The 1st storyline is retelling of 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. They want this to fit into continuity so I doubt we will see any Gorn, Khan or characters who could be in sequal. Now I just want them to do Harlan Ellison's script for 'City on the Edge of Forever'. I think every Trek fan should see that. If you ever read his script it was totally different than the episode of the same name that was filmed.

#40 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

As you all know in 2012 it will be the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation. So far the only thing to commemerate this event will be a Pez line and possibly the series coming to Blue Ray. But I think maybe something more is needed, an Abrams style reboot of ST:TNG! Here is my cast:

Jason Statham as Capt. Jean-Luc Picard. He's a good actor, has the same hairstyle and could convince me he could evoke a younger Patrick Stewart.
Isiah Mustafa as Worf-Yep the Old Spice Guy. Put the Kliingon makeup on him and he is set to be our favorite Klingon officer
Brandon T Jackson as Geordi LaForge-Maybe give him the inplants he had in the films or the visor, but he is the right choice IMO to be Geordi
Topher Grace as Data-Okay, skinny geeky guy with comedic background playing Data. Brent Spiner also had a comedic background-Night Court
Wil Wheaton as Jack Crusher-I would start film with Battle of Maxia, and this is but one of my homages to the original cast
Dina Meyer as Beverly Crusher-Gates McFadden is a hot auburn haired beauty and so is Meyer. Heck, she has Trek cred already.
Brent Spiner as Dr. Noonien Soong-he played this role before and I can't see anyone else taking it.
Emilie de Ravin as Tasha Yar-Yep Tasha is in it, and I think its high time we see what would happen if she didn't die. Or she could.
Nadine Velazquez as Counselor Troi-Okay I just want to see her in that catsuit Troi wore in the show. Mee-yow!
Unknown actor as Will Riker-I can't find one to play Riker
Unknown Child actor as Wesley Crusher-same as above

#41 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

I'm hoping for more Kirk and company. I really won't care about TNG until I see JJ's designs for a Galaxy Class cruiser.

Also, over at STO's site, there are dev designs for an Enterprise F which look like a stellar vessel.

#42 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

I thought now would be a good time to rank all 11 Star Trek Films so here I go-this is all just IMO:

11. Generations-I was so excited to see this and so PO'd Kirk died in the end. While Malcolm McDowell's performance was chilling, and damn good, this one fell flat. I know all Trek movies have flaws-but a space ribbon? The good thing-we finally see the Enterprise B. And Cameron was the Captain, and we find out Sulu has a daughter, and she is a cutie. Still-I will NEVER OWN THIS FILM! Leonard Nimoy was going to direct it, but walked away.

10. Star Trek: The Motion Picture-The best theme ever-it was used for the them for Star Trek: The Next Generation. Goldsmith's theme saves this movie, which if you buy the Directors cut and read the text commentary you get interesting facts like this-after Ilia dies, the officer who replaces her at navigator, Chief DeFalco, was at the time Mrs William Shatner. The uniforms were crappy-so much so that George Takei threatened to never return as Sulu if they stayed. Thankfully they didn't.

9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier-While this would have been a better title for the 6th film, this is one of those what if films. What if the writer's strike wasn't goiing on when this film was made. Goldsmith's theme returns, and we learn a little more about Spock's family as well. But this film has 2 Scotty revelations-he & Uhura are a couple, and if you look closely at Jimmy Doohan's right hand in an eraly scene you notice he is missing a portion of one of his fingers. Sadly this is the only Trek film to not receive a Director's cut, and remember Shatner got a great performance out of himself b/c he respects himself so much!

8. Star Trek: Insurrection-Jonathan Frakes directs a good scenic film here, Picard gets a romance, and F. Murry Abraham steps in as the villain, as does Bond villain alum Anthony Zerbe as a corrupt Starfleet Admiral. This would have been better as a 2 parter, but it was nice to see Picard rebel, Worf go through Klingon puberty, Troi & Crusher discussing their boobs, and clean shaven Riker. Goldsmith composes a great soundtrack

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock-Now before I say anything else, the novel is MUCH better. That being said, the plot holes kill me. Carol creates Genesis yet isn't on the Grissom (Book explains it), David not trying to bond with his Dad (Book explains it-he was tapping Saavik. Lucky guy-oh wait not so much), and the Federation doesn't arm its scout ships. Leonard Nimoy debuts as a director and gets good performances from the cast. Christopher Lloyd of Taxi and Back to the Future is the Klingon bastard who kills Kirk's son and Night Court star John Larroquette is the only Klingon who survives.

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country-Not many liked the title, but since it was referenced in the film ok. A good bridge to the Next Generation as we learn how the Klingons made peace with Starfleet. The good-Sulu captain of Excelsior (But not having Chekov as his XO?), Christopher Plummer as the devious General Chang (how Bad @$$ was the patch NAILED to his head?!), and my crush Kim Cattrall as Valeris was icing on the cake. The final bow for the Original Crew, and the final scene aboard the Enterprise is a great one.

5. Star Trek: Nemesis-This one has grown on me, and after a time I think it is a damn good Trek film. It takes an OS premise in what happens when you face yourself-in this case Picard faces his worst enemy-himself. Shinzon has all of Picard's intelligence, but not his compassion. Think the OS episode 'The Enemy Within' except the double commands a ship that is a huge WMD. The plot holes hurt the film-B4, the remote planet, but there are some good things. Wesley Crusher seems to have rejoined Starfleet (I for one thought he should've been in the film since this was it for the TNG Cast), and Riker and Troi finally marry, the only major Trek characters to do so on film. Nice send off, and the end gives more possibilities for the novels to expand on.

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home-Before I start, it just so happens 4 & 6 on my list fall on the sequal numbers-coincidence! But this is a damn good film, you can tell the actors had fun with the ensmeble feel this film gave them (which would influence TNG which was in production at the time this film was shot). The dedication to the crew of the Challenger in the beginning of the film was touching but 1 thing really bugged me-how the hell did they change the bridge of that Klingon ship in 3 months? It looked nothing like it did in Star Trek III! Still we see the NCC-1701-A (Some debate over what ship it originally was, some say the Yorktown to which I say BS-that ship needed to rig a solar sail to survive the probe and couldn't have been recomissioned so quickly. I think it was the last Constitution Class starship built so that's why in ST V it's under massive repair). The 1st Trek film to be shown in Soviet Union, and mcCoy's line about bureaucracy got the biggest laugh over there.

3. Star Trek: First Contact-Jonathan Frakes directorial debut is a gem. Jerry Goldsmith delivers the best music of all the Trek films, and we learn about Zefram Cochrane before he gets on an asteroid and makes out with Andy Griffin's gal pal later on. An excellent contrast to Capt Ahab for Capt Picard, and his relationship with Lily drives the film home. Geordi's visor is gone, thankfully, and the Enterprise E brings back a sleeker look to the original Constitution class-and when I saw this film on its debut day all Trekkers approved of this ship. The Borg return as the good ole Resistance is Futile instead of the emotional Borg we saw the last season or 2 of TNG. This proved the TNG cast could hold their own, the story and acting superb, and the music, especially the end theme and the beginning theme, make this film stand the test of time.

2. Star Trek XI-JJ Abrams breaths new life into the original crew, giving us an alternate timeline and the perfect launching point for new Trek fans. While it is hard to imagine other actors in the roles of Kirk, Spock, McCoy-Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban do a great job. Eric Bana as Nero gives us an unstable villain, and kills Kirk's dad, but we see where he is born, etc. Make no mistake-this is a Kirk & Spock buddy film. This film did so well people are PO'd at JJ for not doing a sequel of this film and for doing Super 8, and Super 8 has gotten good reviews! Like many, I can't wait for the sequel and the comic book and novel sequel's either. This definitely jumpstarted my dormant fandom of Trek, and in a good way.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan-Not only is this my favorite Trek film, if I could only bring 10 movies with me to a remote island, this is one I would take. Nicholas Meyer directs, and does a brilliant job on a shoestring budget-most shots of the Enterprise in beginning of film are from ST: TMP, but we finally get to see what other Federation ships look like, in the OS they all looked like Enterprise. Ricardo Montalban gives out so many epic quotes (his last acting job was voicing a bull on Family Guy and he made a few Khan quotes), channeling Satan in Paradise Lost & Ahab in Moby Dick (Meyer's favorite book BTW). We get new uniforms for the crew and we learn that Kirk's sleeping around gives him a son he barely knows, and the film debut of Pixar (Who brought us Toy Story and the Incredibles) in the Genesis demonstration video. Paul Winfield stars as the doomed Capt Terrell, and we meet and lose Scotty's nephew (In Directors cut this is confirmed, also expanded in novelization of this film ST 3 & ST 5 adaptations). But the biggest sacrifice comes from Spock, who gives his life to save the ship and the crew-and it was done logically at that. Of course, many thought this would be the real end for Spock, as Leonard Nimoy really didn't want to come back, but changed his mind (Thankfully). This film has it all, a new planet formed, a major character actually dies, a new ship (Reliant), and a few plot holes which I will now put on the record-While Chekov didnt appear on Space Seed, he wasn't on the bridge just yet. Khan really had to go to the bathroom-mudbutt-and Chekov kept him waiting, which lead to Khan taking over the Enterprise and remembering his face on Ceti Alpha V.

#43 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

I thought now would be a good time to rank all 11 Star Trek Films so here I go-this is all just IMO:

11. Generations-I was so excited to see this and so PO'd Kirk died in the end. While Malcolm McDowell's performance was chilling, and damn good, this one fell flat. I know all Trek movies have flaws-but a space ribbon? The good thing-we finally see the Enterprise B. And Cameron was the Captain, and we find out Sulu has a daughter, and she is a cutie. Still-I will NEVER OWN THIS FILM! Leonard Nimoy was going to direct it, but walked away.

I'm sure it's been said countless times by now, but Picard and Kirk can leave the Nexus and go anywhere, anytime, and they give themselves 5 minutes?? How about going back to before the ship blew up, huh? I love that little meme that shows Picard leave the Nexus and appear back with Soran in Ten Forward and he just cuffs him, right then and there.

#44 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

Been watching the original cast movies a bit recently. II-IV and VI are good, solid, reliable, well made, rainy-Saturday-afternoon-in entertainment, and I mean that as a great compliment.

II is excellent, I agree with hcmv007 that it's the best of the lot. Khan for President in 2012 ("Yes we Khan!"). IV is also great fun, probably the best use of the ensemble and quite possibly Shatner's best performance too. VI lays on it's themes and analogies a little thick, particularly in the first act, but overall it's a neat send off.

V is a remarkable drop in quality (even after reading Shatner's recount of the making of it in his book STAR TREK MOVIE MEMORIES I still find the extent to which it drops the ball staggering), considering how consistent the others are. For one thing, I think they misunderstood why the humor in IV worked. In IV the comedy came from the fact the characters were "fish out water" in the past. Here they're fish very much in water and still made figures of fun - Scotty bumping his head after claiming to know the ship "like the back of my hand", not just as a gag, but for the actual reason for his capture, sums up the entire movie for me.

#45 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:12 AM

I'm sure it's been said countless times by now, but Picard and Kirk can leave the Nexus and go anywhere, anytime, and they give themselves 5 minutes?? How about going back to before the ship blew up, huh? I love that little meme that shows Picard leave the Nexus and appear back with Soran in Ten Forward and he just cuffs him, right then and there.

Or shot him. Never understood that either.

One good thing did come of it, Shatner's 1st and best novel Ashes of Eden.

No toy rumors but Playmates won't get the license back-they are moving on. My vote is Hasbro. They could do great with this line-keep it the same size as Star Wars figures and the Nerdgasm that will erupt will be spoken of for years to come. Kirk can hit on Leia; Lando can hit on Uhura, & the Enterprise could take on a Star Destoyer. Heck the Galileo could race the Millenium Falcon. Now dammit make this happen! Now!

#46 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

If you would like a story after Star Trek 4; read the graphic novel Debt of Honor written by Chris Claremont of X-Men fame picks up after the events of ST4 & brings in people from the original series-crew members & Commander Kor. Plus we get a glimpse at a Romulan woman who Kirk once got 'attached' to. IMO this should've been ST5. My only problem is the exaggeration of McCoy's Southern accent. If you read Claremont on X-Men whenever Rogue & Gambit spoke you know what I'm talking about. Still its a great read & if you want to find it I recommend Amazon as your local comic store might not have it. It is also on the Star Trek Comic book DVD-Rom that has all issues from 1967-2002 except the Star Trek & superhero crossovers-also on Amazon btw. So please check them out!

#47 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

I don't normally watch online movies but I watched Star Trek: Of Gods & Men yesterday. If you are a big Uhura fan then this is for you. It takes place 12 yrs after Generations (the stardate Uhura gives is wrong but who cares?). Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, Alan Ruck (Capt Herriman), Grace Lee Whitney & Tim Russ (who directed this film) return in their roles. On a positive note-Chase Masterson who played Leeta on DS9 is an Orion slave woman & is worth seeing just for that alone. Ethan Phillips has a cameo & we get to see the return of Charlie Evans & the Guardian of forever return. The film has effects you would expect in an online film, but an interesting ship design in the opening of the film. Without giving too much away-the premise is what if James T. Kirk never existed? If you want to kill some time check it out! Made in 2006 to celebrate 40th anniversary of Star Trek.

On a Next Gen note-check out the Picard song!

#48 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Best. Song. Ever.

#49 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Best. Parody. Ever.

#50 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

On startrek.com we have a first look of what 2012 has in store for Star Trek: TNG?s 25th anniversary. Diamond Select is making a Mego-style Picard & Borg Drone. More to come but good news on the toy front. ST: TNG on syfy all day today.

Looks like 2013 until Star Trek sequal. Damn.

Next Thurs Star Trek turns 45. Be sure to watch some OS episodes-I will try to get in 'The Man Trap' before kickoff. Happy Labor Day!

#51 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Happy 45th birthday Star Trek!

#52 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Levar Burton posted this a few weeks ago confirming TNG was coming to Blu-ray. Rumors have it that they are working on a handful of episodes as a test but no word on if the entire series will be done or not but I have my fingers crossed.

http://www.mobypictu...n/view/10615586

#53 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

Great news!!!!!

Other news-the Star Trek ongoing hits Comic stores on Sept 21st. Gary Mitchell joins the 2009 cast in a retelling of 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'

#54 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:49 AM

In my hands-Star Trek #1. My review-its not too bad. The good-art & the story. I feared a strict retelling of 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'; it isnt but it leads to the bad. You know what happens, Gary Mitchell has godlike powers. While this is a good intro, I hope this isnt the norm. Reimagining a couple of episodes are neat, but new stories would be better. If you liked the 2009 film, read it.

#55 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

After my disappointment with the 2009 reboot, I'm not really looking forward to the next "TREK" movie.

#56 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:33 AM

In issue 4 of new comic series the Galileo Seven will get updated. I would have done The Naked Time if I ran it. But thats me.

Coming soon-my countdown of my favorite OS Trek Episodes-including the Animated Series.

#57 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

10 years ago today Enterprise made its debut. Was it totally bad? No, but the finale was what ruined this show. We had a chance to see the formation of the Federation but instead we have Riker & Troi leave the holodeck of the Enterprise D. For me, Jolene Blalock was the sole reason I watched-she's got a great butt. The temporal cold war was a good plot, the Xindi were a bit much & the Sulaban were badly underused & whatever happened to them anyway? I stopped watching after the Borg episode, but this show deserved better than what it got.

#58 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

On startrek.com its official! Star Trek: TNG will be out on blu-ray in 2012! In January a blu-ray will be released with a couple of fan favorite episodes & Encounter at Farpoint. As the year goes on the entire series will be released. Head over to startrek.com for details

#59 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:49 AM

I wish we had a release date for Season One but I guess this is as good of a start as we will get. Hopefully, the seasons get released in short order.

The scenes in the trailer look great. The detail on the Enterprise is incredible. These guys have some comparison screen shots. Too bad we won't have this sampler this year.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/

#60 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

All good things come to those who wait my good sir. January will be here before you know it!

Now if someone could make some good 3.75 inch action figures of all the Star Trek series...