710 replies to this topic

#181 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

GoldenEye 64 was just a little bit too advanced for me when it was released (I was only 8 at the time), so I can't say much in the way of how good or bad the game was, but the idea of replacing a former Bond actor with a current one in one of his established Bond films seems a bit cheap to Brosnan.

I'm sure for those of you who like the game, it'll be nice to play the game again with sharper graphics, but to me that's a really cheap trick.

The worst thing is that Craig was probably contractually obliged to be in this game. How could he possibly be enthusiastic about robbing another Bond actor's performance?

Brosnan didn't perform in anything in GoldenEye 64 though. He was just represented by a blurry mess of low res textures, and text as dialog. It's not as though he put his heart and soul into it- he probably didn't even know about it until after it came out.

#182 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

At first I was excited by this new game and I didn't mind Daniel being in it. What I do mind is that its only for wii since I don't have one and have no plans to get one. I'm holding my breath for a Xbox Live edition of Goldeneye.

#183 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

That's quite interesting.

I don't think Arnold has scored a Bond game. Sean Callery scored Everything or Nothing, and Christopher Lennertz scored Quantum of Solace and the From Russia With Love game. I wonder what Arnold can do with it.

You can hear a sample of it there on the website.

I'm pretty confident of Arnold doing a great score for the game... his style matches a video game better than the movies.

That might be right, though why couldn't they go with Eric Serra?

perhaps they are trying to reimagine it as a daniel craig bond film and since arnold has done the music for craig's two films it would make more sense to have him do the music for this goldeneye.

#184 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:15 AM

I'm more concerned about the fact that David Arnold is scoring the game, than anything else.

http://www.goldeneye...reveal/?lang=en

Mea culpa. God have mercy on our souls.

Like...THE David Arnold? How the hell are they doing all this! This is too freakin cool!

#185 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:31 AM

From what I've heard, it sounds like a major step down from QoS, to Brosnan/CR-like obnoxious electronics, and pithy string figures that go nowhere.

#186 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

From what I've heard, it sounds like a major step down from QoS, to Brosnan/CR-like obnoxious electronics, and pithy string figures that go nowhere.

It is a video game so it suits it. I like the music on the site. It's much much better than anything we got in the previous games (except maybe EoN). The QoS game track was pretty terrible, so this is a major step up. I'm not looking for anything that will rival the films, but I am comfortable with the fact that the score will be much better than what we've got in games past.

#187 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

Oh, I don't like this at all. B)

#188 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

Same here. It sounds like a confused mess.

#189 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

Where does it say that David Arnold is working on the game? I can't find it on the site you linked(though the music does sound like an 'Arnold'), nor anywhere else.

#190 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

Posted Image
Plus, world exclusive coverage in this month's official Nintendo Magazine

#191 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image
Plus, world exclusive coverage in this month's official Nintendo Magazine

B)

#192 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Same here. It sounds like a confused mess.

Not one part of this game appeals to me at all.

#193 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

Plus, details on the DS version of GoldenEye to be revealed next week

#194 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

David Arnold, eh? That's a bit impressive.

Certainly sounds like him on the website.

#195 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Unfortunatly I can't seem to get excited about the 'new' Goldeneye.

There are 17 Bond films which are crying out for a computer game treatment, and they go for Goldeneye, which has already been done. In all honesty wil this really be as good as Goldeneye 64?

I would have prefered it if Activision did Goldeneye with the likeness and voice of Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean and Famke Jensen, in the vein of From Russia With Love.

I suppose it is an interesting take to have the current Bond being in a game of a past Bond film. Would give us fans an idea of what Goldeneye would be like if Brosnan never played Bond, but will this really work.

#196 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hmm. Craig in GOLDENEYE with an Arnold score? A bit odd. Especially since the trailer for the game suggests that it's significantly more than a slightly updated port, but a complete rewiring. They should have just made a completely original game.

#197 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hey, is this the first videogame remake? Bit of history if it is. But it's also somewhat depressing to see the gaming industry slip into this trend. Hopefully it won't get out of control as it has with the movies.

#198 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Unh... Strange. I looked at the announcement of David Arnold and I thought it was a brilliant idea. For those of you that hate Arnold, you can turn off the music for once. Me, I'm thrilled that Arnold is branching out into the virtual world. He will do a fantastic job.

darthbond

#199 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

not the first remake. the first that i can remember was super mario all stars which was a remake of the nintendo mario games for the super nintendo with some prettier graphics. the most recent remake i can think of is perfect dark which was updated for the xbla.

i am not sure if i would consider this goldeneye to be a remake though since it seems to fall under the category of "reimagining"

since david arnold is doing the music i am surprised that they did not have purvis and wade come in and do their take on the goldeneye story.

#200 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

It certainly does beg the question: With so much talent attached, why not just make a new game? The thing is, though, from their perspective a Goldeneye game will sell much better than your standard Bond action game. A major overhaul is great for us fans because it's something new for us to sink our teeth into, but the fact that it's a re imagining of an already existent game pretty much points to dollar (or pound) signs in the eyes of the developers, because in the end noone cares about us, they care about everyone else. Doesn't stop me from really looking forward to the game, it might as well be a new adventure anyway, cash grab aside. Is it a bit shameful? Well yeah. Who cares, though, it's Bond and it'll be new. More interested in Bloodstone though.

#201 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm actually pretty surprised by this relative displeasure with the unveiling of this game and the David Arnold announcement, as well. Would I have preferred a brand new Bond adventure starring Craig? Yes. But this entire concept fascinates me.

Not being a big video gamer myself, the part I'm most interested in is the new story (written by Bruce Feirstein, no less) and the plot involving "the international banking crisis." If the story is as developed and expansive as "Everything or Nothing"'s, which was practically a fifth movie for Brosnan, that alone will be enough for me to get this game. B)

#202 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

I'm actually pretty surprised by this relative displeasure with the unveiling of this game and the David Arnold announcement, as well. Would I have preferred a brand new Bond adventure starring Craig? Yes. But this entire concept fascinates me.

Not being a big video gamer myself, the part I'm most interested in is the new story (written by Bruce Feirstein, no less) and the plot involving "the international banking crisis." If the story is as developed and expansive as "Everything or Nothing"'s, which was practically a fifth movie for Brosnan, that alone will be enough for me to get this game. B)

Where did you hear about the bank crises story line?

#203 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

If this was an entirely original game with all this talent involved, I'd be bouncing off the walls. The weirdness of a Craig revamping of a Brosnan movie and old game keeps me firmly in my seat. In fact, as we learn more (like Arnold as composer), I just get more angry that all this talent is being used for...this.

Maybe, story-wise, it could have been a sequel. GoldenEye II. At least then I would be able to get my head around it.

#204 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

If this was an entirely original game with all this talent involved, I'd be bouncing off the walls. The weirdness of a Craig revamping of a Brosnan movie and old game keeps me firmly in my seat. In fact, as we learn more (like Arnold as composer), I just get more angry that all this talent is being used for...this.

Maybe, story-wise, it could have been a sequel. GoldenEye II. At least then I would be able to get my head around it.

The thing is, Zen, from the sounds of it Activision are merely using the name "Goldeneye" to generate interest in the game. It's a somewhat misleading act since the game sounds nothing at all like Goldeneye (film, game, Gardner novelization etc) so it's hardly a rehash. Sure they are peppering in reworkings of levels from the original game and improving them but I don't see that as a major issue.

#205 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

I hope the score will be publicly released sometime!

And yes, it certainly sounds like Arnold on the website...

#206 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

The thing is, Zen, from the sounds of it Activision are merely using the name "Goldeneye" to generate interest in the game.

Exactly, it is GoldenEye all because of marketing. No other Bond videogame as sold as well as GoldenEye 64, so they are just trying to use the name to sell video games.

As far as Craig's image instead of Brosnans, EON does not have the leagal right to use his likeness without his permission and paying him, something I'm sure EON does not want to do.

#207 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Well, so far, conceptually I find this game is a real mess. Or maybe they've just revealed it in a messy way. But I guess the story etc. really doesn't matter in the end. You shoot people. That's what this is. Here's something where you shoot people and it's called GoldenEye. As long as it's fun.

#208 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

a lot of the reactions to the game from different video game sites have been very positive so i am pretty excited about this game.

#209 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

I should really lay off. I admit I'm not gamer, so I'm not seeing the positive gaming aspects to this. I'm looking at this as a fan of the Bond universe, the continuing adventures of 007 in book, film, comics, and games, and after EoN, I feel like a Bond game can also be a great addition to the Bond mega canon. The very nature of this (from what we know so far) kinda keeps it from being that. But maybe that's the intent. Maybe they don't want it to represent any kind a new Bond story or continuation. They want it to represent pure Bond gaming at its best. And that is what "GoldenEye" means.

Ok, I've got my head around it now. B)

#210 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

Where did you hear about the bank crises story line?

It was mentioned in one of the E3 first impression articles posted a few days ago. I can't remember the exact quote but I know for sure they used the phrase "international banking crisis" storyline as opposed to the Cold War storyline of the original film & game.

Here's the link. Third paragraph.