This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1321 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Not benedict.. seriously no.

#1322 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

Better Cumberbatch than Tom Hardy. Just because Tom was in two(?) good Chris Nolan films doesn't mean people should fawn over him, or that he should be handed the role. It's bad enough we're going to eventually have Christopher Nolan direct a Bond film, but Tom Hardy is where I draw the line. He has no skill, no range, and nothing convincing...just yet.

Doubt me? Think of a UK version of xXx. Yes, it'll be just like that.

Fassbender would have been a great choice too, but he's going to be busy with X-men films for the time being.

#1323 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

...Tom Hardy is where I draw the line. He has no skill, no range...

Well, you either like to make sweeping statements about things you know nothing of, or you're having a laugh...

Try watching him in the BBC adaptation of Stuart: A Life Backwards  in which he plays an almost anorexic looking disabled alcoholic failed post office robber. He recounts his story to co-star Cumberbatch, acting him off the screen (and Cumberbatch is himself a phenomenal actor).

Then there's Guy Richie's Rockenrolla - not the best film, but he's the best thing in it - a gay gangster who comes out of the closet.

His turn as real life criminal Charles Bronson in Bronson is a one off, unique performance as the sinister musclebound convict, part ogre, part showman, part child. This performance undoubtedly brought hollywood to his door.

His Heathcliff in the 2009 Wuthering Heights was another unique and acclaimed interpretation. In the same year he starred in a routine crime mini series called The Take, which his daring performance elevated.

In Inception  he's suave and very likeable, in Tinker, Tailer  he's vulnerable. In Warrior  he's menacing and vulnerable at the same time (not easy for the best of actors).

Add to these highly diverse roles that of Lawless, Batman and soon Mad Max and his current slate:

http://www.imdb.com/.../?ref_=tt_cl_t2

To say you don't want him as Bond  is your prerogative. But to say 'He has no skill' is poor taste, and to say he he has 'No range' is plain ignorant.

You'd be hard pushed to name a mainstream actor with a more diverse resume and range.

I'm sorry, but i hate big opinions based on little research.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 04 October 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#1324 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Cumberbatch - gosh, sure he can play being 20 for the rest of his life, because he has no lines in his face whatsoever,. He looks like someone, who wants to rob a bank and has taken one of those nylons over his face. I cannot look at him without gettting really bad thrills. But with just winning the sexiest man on Empire, I must be wrong,. I just sooooo don't see it. He is plein ugly to me. Anybody else.will be better...

#1325 screamingmoonrock

screamingmoonrock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Last night  I watched the first episode of series 3 of Homeland.  Rupert Friend, who I claim should be Bond no 7 probably had the most Bondlike performance so far.  Reminded me of Pierce Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol.

#1326 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Could James McAvoy have the chops? I like that guy...

#1327 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Could James McAvoy have the chops? I like that guy...

Highly doubtful considering he's only 5' 7" tall...

#1328 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

He comes across as too brainy and nerdy, IMO.  Also, not attractive enough.  Sorry.

And enough with the left field choices.  Go back to a classic Bond look, I say.

#1329 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Cumberbatch has been voted the sexiest movie star by Empire

http://fr.eonline.com/news/465348/benedict-cumberbatch-emma-watson-voted-sexiest-movie-stars-on-earth-by-empire-readers

Edited by Sir Godfrey, 10 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#1330 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

He comes across as too brainy and nerdy, IMO.  Also, not attractive enough.  Sorry.

And enough with the left field choices.  Go back to a classic Bond look, I say.

I couldn't agree more!  As I've said before in this thread, for my money you just couldn't find a more perfect blend of traditional Bond in the post-Craig world than Richard Armitage.  Anyone who's seen him in "Spooks" (MI:5 for the US readers) or the original first British version of "Strike Back" knows he can totally pull off the intense action end of the role while being a legitimately involving thespian.  And with 2 more Hobbit movies coming out to give him some further exposure, I think he'd be at the perfect level of star power that attracts the likes of Miuchael and Barbara.  I mean seriously, this guy's got the look, the height, the build, and the voice, but doesn't look too much like a model.

Richard-Armitage6.jpg

Edited by Yellow Pinky, 10 October 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#1331 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Would have loved that but his age won't help. He is only 2/3 years younger than Craig.

#1332 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Would have loved that but his age won't help. He is only 2/3 years younger than Craig.

But looks FAR younger than Craig.

Edit: 3.5 years younger.  Roger Moore was just shy of 50 when The Spy Who Loved Me was released, but looked nowhere near that age.

Edited by Yellow Pinky, 10 October 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#1333 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

...Tom Hardy is where I draw the line. He has no skill, no range...

Well, you either like to make sweeping statements about things you know nothing of, or you're having a laugh...

Try watching him in the BBC adaptation of Stuart: A Life Backwards  in which he plays an almost anorexic looking disabled alcoholic failed post office robber. He recounts his story to co-star Cumberbatch, acting him off the screen (and Cumberbatch is himself a phenomenal actor).

Then there's Guy Richie's Rockenrolla - not the best film, but he's the best thing in it - a gay gangster who comes out of the closet.

His turn as real life criminal Charles Bronson in Bronson is a one off, unique performance as the sinister musclebound convict, part ogre, part showman, part child. This performance undoubtedly brought hollywood to his door.

His Heathcliff in the 2009 Wuthering Heights was another unique and acclaimed interpretation. In the same year he starred in a routine crime mini series called The Take, which his daring performance elevated.

In Inception  he's suave and very likeable, in Tinker, Tailer  he's vulnerable. In Warrior  he's menacing and vulnerable at the same time (not easy for the best of actors).

Add to these highly diverse roles that of Lawless, Batman and soon Mad Max and his current slate:

http://www.imdb.com/.../?ref_=tt_cl_t2

To say you don't want him as Bond  is your prerogative. But to say 'He has no skill' is poor taste, and to say he he has 'No range' is plain ignorant.

You'd be hard pushed to name a mainstream actor with a more diverse resume and range.

I'm sorry, but i hate big opinions based on little research.

Excuse me? It's one thing to simply say 'you're wrong and here's why' It's entirely another to act sanctimonious and then proceed to list off accolades as if I give a damn. Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, but Hardy's ego bothers me alot. Until he can tone it down and actually be cool, then yes he doesn't deserve Bond. Thank you for debating, please try not to be so smug next time.

#1334 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

Excuse me? It's one thing to simply say 'you're wrong and here's why' It's entirely another to act sanctimonious and then proceed to list off accolades as if I give a damn. Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, but Hardy's ego bothers me alot. Until he can tone it down and actually be cool, then yes he doesn't deserve Bond. Thank you for debating, please try not to be so smug next time.

To be honest i was indeed hoping to come across as a little sanctimonious. You see it's pretty surprising to hear someone say that Hardy has 'No skill or range', and without reason/examples for this statement it did sound sweeping and, yes, a little sanctimonious itself. So i thought i'd reply in kind. Not the most diplomatic approach, but this is a Bond site and when was Bond ever diplomatic ;)

Apologies if that offended you, but please explain why he has no range or skill and what you mean by his 'ego'; are you referring to Hardy himself having a big ego? If so, what do you base that on - do you know the chap?

Having seen him interviewed he didn't appear egotistical If anything a little awkward and random (something you'll notice in many great actor when interviewed, De Niro coming instantly to mind).

Hardy's an actor who has demonstrated that he has perhaps the biggest range of his generation, and therefore skill in excess. This is evident in the examples i've given.

Please explain and i promise to debate without being smug.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 16 October 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#1335 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Cumberbatch or Armitage. And although I´m a fan of Benedict (Sherlockian), Armitage would be better suited for the job; good voice, Fleming-like features, knows how to stroll around the place without bumping into any furniture. Yes, I´d say Armitage.

#1336 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

At the moment i'm leaning towards Sullivan Stapleton!

#1337 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Armitage is too wooden.

#1338 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Armitage is too wooden.

Fully agreed.

#1339 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Armitage is too wooden.

Fully agreed.

I would say he's too much of a straight man.

#1340 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Armitage is too wooden.

Fully agreed.

I would say he's too much of a straight man.

Ironic, since the rumour is that he's gay

#1341 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

These days who isn't rumoured to be gay? Liberace probably...

#1342 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I finally realized that this thread should be titled "Whom do you want for Bond 7?"

#1343 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

These days who isn't rumoured to be gay? Liberace probably...

Yes there definitely is not a rumour that Liberace is gay.

#1344 Ovnay

Ovnay

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Henry Cavill or Tom Hardy but I see Tom Hardy as more of the Daniel Craig physicality. Henry Cavill would be nice.

#1345 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

After the loud annoying mess that was Man of Steel, I would hope that Zack Snyder makes no more Superman movies, effectively clearing the path for Cavill to be #7.

#1346 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

For my money, MAN OF STEEL is the greatest suphero ever made, only rivalled by BATMAN RETURNS and HULK.

#1347 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

After the loud annoying mess that was Man of Steel, I would hope that Zack Snyder makes no more Superman movies, effectively clearing the path for Cavill to be #7.

Snyder is already shooting the sequel: Batman vs. Superman

For my money, MAN OF STEEL is the greatest suphero ever made, only rivalled by BATMAN RETURNS and HULK.

C'mon! Leaving out The Dark Knight seriously discredits your opinion of Man of Steel. But kudos for Hulk (the Ang Lee version) which i also think is masterful.

#1348 Civilian_Bishop's Mitre_*

Civilian_Bishop's Mitre_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think it's too soon to say, but I hope Daniel Craig gets a few more Bond films yet. 

#1349 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's a shame the we'll never see "the stars align" for this one because of his age once Craig is put out to pasture, but being an avid fan of CBS's Persons of Interest, my vote would be for Jim Caviezel.  His portrayal of 'John Reese' on the show harkens me back to what the "literary Bond" would be like on the screen. 

#1350 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Dominic Cooper.

He is set to play Ian Fleming in 2014 for the BBC:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/fleming/

Now, imagine him as 007:

fleming4.jpg