This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1381 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

And... what if I love SUPERMAN RETURNS and MAN OF STEEL?

I liked Superman Returns, although Brandon Routh was no good. I think the film would have gone over better with a much better actor who had presence in the role.

As for Man of Steel, I'll pretend you saw a different print... or... we'll put it down to a character flaw. :P

#1382 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

I just came across this video about Hardy as the next Bond (not sure how old it is)

Tom Hardy May be the Next Bond

#1383 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Old story, I´m afraid, and as reliable as "Clive Owen is the next Bond".

#1384 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I'm firmly in the Idris Elba camp. I think he would be amazing. 

#1385 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

And... what if I love SUPERMAN RETURNS and MAN OF STEEL?

I liked Superman Returns, although Brandon Routh was no good. I think the film would have gone over better with a much better actor who had presence in the role.

As for Man of Steel, I'll pretend you saw a different print... or... we'll put it down to a character flaw. :P

I think Routh did alright. He's never gonna be a great actor, but  Reeve wasn't exactly Laurence Olivier either. Though the latter had the charm working for him. The main problem with the film is that is still tethered to the first two original films (the whole real estate shenanigans, Routh as a Reeve clone, reusing Brando, the overall retro feeling). And Kate Bosworth is just horribly miscast as Lois Lane. Way too young. But I see where they were trying to in terms of the story and the emotional core to it. It's the execution where the film stumbles. Still, it has way more heart than the soulless Man of Steel. And that first teaser, damn that was promising.

#1386 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm firmly in the Idris Elba camp. I think he would be amazing. 

NO! 

I am sorry but no.

#1387 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Elba will be too old by the time that Craig is finished in the role.  He'll be 43 when Bond 24 arrives in theaters and, if there's another three year wait between the next film and Craig's finale, he'll be 46 before the search for a new actor even commences.

#1388 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Well that's a real shame. I think he would be awesome. 

#1389 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Roger Moore was 46 when he started as Bond and he did an amazing job!

#1390 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

..if you don't mind how bloody old he looked! Do we really want another over the hill Bond, especially when there are presumably so many other contenders? This isn't 1982 again (where the pickings were slimmer).

#1391 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Also not to mention that by the time that Bond 26 actually made it to the silver screen, Elba would be close to 50 with just one film under his belt.  I'd have to figure that there will be at least a three year gap between Craig's finale in Bond 25 and the debut of the new actor in Bond 26, so at best Elba would be 49 when he makes his debut and then probably about 51-52 when his second film arrives in theaters.

#1392 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

..if you don't mind how bloody old he looked! Do we really want another over the hill Bond, especially when there are presumably so many other contenders? This isn't 1982 again (where the pickings were slimmer).

Um, at the age of 46 Moore looked quite fresh in LALD.  At least up to MR, he looked absolutely fit for the Job.

#1393 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Um, at the age of 46 Moore looked quite fresh in LALD.  At least up to MR, he looked absolutely fit for the Job.

Fair enough, though Moore does look perhaps too old when Blu-ray MR is seen on a big HD screen tho' he is properly trim. However, 1) Moore was only 44/45, not 46 when he did LALD - he didn't turn 46 'till October 1973, 2) he was too old for the majority of his films, 2) the producers aren't looking for someone to do just three films.

#1394 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

This again

I always though that Idris Elba would be an interesting Bond if Craig walked away from the role prematurely. However I'm liking this idea of him taking over the role like Moore did in his late 40's. Hey he is still only 4 years older that Naomie Harris. 

#1395 Caesar004

Caesar004

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Christopher Eccleston would've been great, but by the time Craig's done he'll be too old :/

#1396 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Moore only looked old in AVTAK, in Eyes Only and even in Octopussy he was still as good as before and in demand.

In Moonraker, in my humble opinion, he's looking at his best as Bond and that's the way I always think about him as Bond.

#1397 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

Moore only looked old in AVTAK, in Eyes Only and even in Octopussy he was still as good as before and in demand.

In Moonraker, in my humble opinion, he's looking at his best as Bond and that's the way I always think about him as Bond.

I thought that Moore started to begin noticeably showing his age around the time that For Your Eyes Only arrived.  But, I would agree that it didn't really become an issue until A View to a Kill, and even then it was only an issue because EON didn't have the courage, or the foresight, to make his age a theme of the film.  Had EON decided to make A View to a Kill a film that actually addressed Bond getting older, they could have really done something interesting with the film, which would have elevated an already above average Bond film into something more noteworthy in terms of the legacy of the franchise.

#1398 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I thought that Moore started to begin noticeably showing his age around the time that For Your Eyes Only arrived.  But, I would agree that it didn't really become an issue until A View to a Kill, and even then it was only an issue because EON didn't have the courage, or the foresight, to make his age a theme of the film.  Had EON decided to make A View to a Kill a film that actually addressed Bond getting older, they could have really done something interesting with the film, which would have elevated an already above average Bond film into something more noteworthy in terms of the legacy of the franchise.

Agreed, but now when I watch AVTAK, I see Moore playing Bond as he is totally aware of his age and give an even lighter tone and somehow parodic tone that does not fit in a Bond as we could have expected it but gives a truly refreshing tone to the film

#1399 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

It's hard because we need to cast someone young enough to do the role, but not young enough that they can't be James Bond.

#1400 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I like the idea of Alex O'Laughlin. I think he's great on Hawaii Five-0, granted not a very hard role. But he definitely has that ruggedness about him that Craig has. It's too bad, Gerard Butler has stated he doesn't want to play Bond....

#1401 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I think I would have to go with Henry Cavill. He auditioned for the Bond role before and he's talked about how he would love to play the Bond role. I think he seems quite dedicated to it. Some people don't agree because his acting is "Terrible" but I'm sure he will do great as Bond. Whoever it is I'm sure they will make the right decision they already have for the past Bonds.

#1402 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Alex O´ Laughlin´s looks always remind me of George Lazenby - he would certainly be a capable choice.

But I would prefer Henry Cavill.  Whose acting, by the way, I do not consider "terrible" at all.  He was fantastic in "Man of Steel" and surely, the producers saw his potential as Bond.  He was almost chosen if it had not been for Craig, right?

#1403 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

Agreed I do believe if it wasn't for Craig he would have been chosen not to mention lots of people hated MoS. Henry did great acting in the film Immortals his speech was great he was also capable of getting from his small slim cut size to the Buff Superman he was. I think he would make the perfect choice.

#1404 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Henry Cavill is interesting. He would be about 36 when Craig's done the role if Bond 25 comes out in 2018. So he could have a Bond film out by 2020, when he is 38... Never really considered him for Bond 7 or after he became Superman. 

#1405 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

I would go for Henry Cavill or Richard Madden

#1406 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

'Tho you can't judge the future on the past, consider all the actors who were considered (seriously or otherwise) for the role previously - RM, TD, PB - who finally did land the role.

I don't buy the argument that Cavill can't be Bond because he was once (or twice or three times) Superman. It's only a problem if he's still playing Superman years from now when DC steps down.

#1407 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Agreed. Anything's possible these days. The new generation are making their own mark where Cubby kept a pretty tight reign on things.

Personally, this is one of the things I care about least these days in Bond fandom as Craig has made the role his own.

#1408 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Ray Stevenson.

He's absolutely perfect.

Check out Dexter Season 7 and you'll see what I'm talking about. He has the build, the looks and the voice not to mention oodles of screen charisma. And he's a good actor, which is a lot more than I can say for Cavill. Despite Cavill having the looks he has zero charisma and I don't find him a particularly good actor.

#1409 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

Ray Stevenson would have been a good choice to replace Brosnan. He's four years older than Craig.

#1410 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

Stevenson will be in his mid-fifties by the time the next Bond actor makes his debut.  He might have been a good choice a decade ago, but he'll be far too old to take on the role when Craig leaves the franchise.