This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1441 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

In 2018, three things will happen: Craig will turn fifty, he will equal Moore's twelve-year run, and (probably) Bond 25 will be released. This will be a natural finish-line for the Craig era. 

I also suspect that, in contrast to the confusion after DAD, we will know in advance which film will be Craig's last, it will be promoted as such, and it will have a deliberate "swansong" feel. 

#1442 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

In 2018, three things will happen: Craig will turn fifty, he will equal Moore's twelve-year run, and (probably) Bond 25 will be released. This will be a natural finish-line for the Craig era. 

I also suspect that, in contrast to the confusion after DAD, we will know in advance which film will be Craig's last, it will be promoted as such, and it will have a deliberate "swansong" feel. 

And I'll be happy when this doesn't happen and he makes two more after Bond 25.

#1443 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I agree.  Right now, Craig really is the only actor I can think of who can do Bond justice.

But audiences change quickly, and the older Craig gets the louder people/studios/marketing experts/journalists will cry for a rejuvenation.

As for a one-off with Dalton - yeah, that would be very interesting.  But the biggest chance at that would be if Dalton got a cable series about a "retired" spy.  Or a movie like Brosnan obviously has pulled off with "November Man".

I love the idea of a "one-off" with Bond in his sixties for one last job. Could be a great opportunity to play a little with the formula and take some risks that Eon woul have never dared to

#1444 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have a hard time seeing Craig extending past Bond 25. He'll be 47 or so when they film the next one. I did see a definite age increase in his face from QOS to SF. Or maybe it was just the short hair and stubble that made it look so.

#1445 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

I agree.  Right now, Craig really is the only actor I can think of who can do Bond justice.

But audiences change quickly, and the older Craig gets the louder people/studios/marketing experts/journalists will cry for a rejuvenation.

As for a one-off with Dalton - yeah, that would be very interesting.  But the biggest chance at that would be if Dalton got a cable series about a "retired" spy.  Or a movie like Brosnan obviously has pulled off with "November Man".

I love the idea of a "one-off" with Bond in his sixties for one last job. Could be a great opportunity to play a little with the formula and take some risks that Eon woul have never dared to

I'd prefer Tarantino directing Daniel Day Lewis in that one-off retro role.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 06 June 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#1446 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

I have a hard time seeing Craig extending past Bond 25. He'll be 47 or so when they film the next one. I did see a definite age increase in his face from QOS to SF. Or maybe it was just the short hair and stubble that made it look so.

You're not the only one. Even I thought Craig was too old in those unflattering close-ups. Two more with him tops.

#1447 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'd like to remind everyone that Roger Moore turned 46 in the year when his first Bond film was released, and then went on to appear in another six. We can argue about whether it was a good idea for him to have appeared in AVTAK in his late fifties, but for most of his films he looked pretty well, imho.

Maybe Daniel Craig's Bond looked unflattering because he was playing a Bond who had become "played out", as he said to M in SF. Hitting the bottle and pills, not taking care of himself. Play Bond that way and he isn't going to conform to the sleek no-hair-out-of-place character we all know.

I hope Daniel Craig goes on until, as I think he said himself, his knees give way. If he takes care of himself he could go beyond two more movies. Whether he wants to is another matter entirely.

#1448 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Much of the novels feature a Bond running on 'Bottles and Pills' and i like the grittiness of that - it keeps the outlandish fantasy in check, so you get enjoy both without becoming weary of either. So i hope Craig doesn't suffer too much of a rejuvenation in 24

#1449 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

I've mooted Australian Sullivan Stapleton  for Bond 7 before in this thread, but thought i'd bring it back since he's been getting press due to starring in 300: Rise of an Empire....

pstr-300-rise-of-an-empire07.jpg

Not a great movie and Sullivan is a little miscast (he's not pompous enough, which is a good thing), but it apparently did good box office and has put him on the map.

For me there's only 2 real contenders on the radar at this time, Tom Hardy  and this guy Sullivan Stapleton.  Hardy is unlikely due to his ongoing success and critical acclaim making it a tough call for him to then go and get himself utterly type cast as Bond (he'd need personal reasons to screw up his Oscar calling career and none of us know if he's that big a fan).

So that leaves me with Sullivan Stapleton as the current main contender.

sullivan_stapleton-strike_back_season_3-

It's no insult to Sullivan to say he's second best to Hardy - after all Hardy is arguably the best actor of his generation. Sullivan is a capable actor and shows his chops pretty well in Ozy crime drama Animal Kingdom.

Animal-Kingdom-Poster.jpg

Which, btw is a great little movie.

But it's the fantastic tv  series Strike Back  that brought him to my attention in which he shows clearly that he'd be a great Bond - all the swagger of Connery and Craig and the comic timing, when needed, of Brosnan.

Strike-Back.jpg

Straight away i thought, this guy looks like Brosnan, but acts like vintage Connery, Craig and a little of Lewis Collins dangerous attitude. I think he'd very much please just about all camps of Bond fans and i'd be very suprised if Barbara, with her keen eye, hasn't suggested a meeting yet. The only reason i guess she wouldn't is that we all want Craig to stick around for another couple of movies and meeting Stapleton right now might send out a bad message to the Craig camp.

In a Deadline  article about Stapleton's rising star they say,

"He looks like an edgier version of Pierce Brosnan."

http://www.deadline....xt-leading-man/

Anything can happen between now and Craig's departure - new faces can appear on the seen. But as of now i think unless Hardy steps into the ring (which i doubt), then Sullivan Stapleton is a no brainer - i don't see any real competition.

Ps. He's just turned 37 this month, so there's maybe a '2-more-Craig-films' window before Stapleton's over the hill.

PPs. Strike Back is highly recommended. It's counter terrorism special forces fodder, but has great action, locations and villains (Charles Dance and Dougray Scott in particular).

Skip the Strike Back: Origins  series starring Richard Armitage, which is pants by comparison. That was a BBC production - very dull in the way only the Beeb know how to do.

US company Cinimax took over and reinvented it with Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester as a kind of international R-rated Body and Doyle with uber sex and violence.

It's loud and little laddish and has one of the best title sequences on tv:

http://www.cinemax.com/strike-back/

StrikeBackShadowWarfarePoster.jpg

It's superb  :D

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 17 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#1450 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Great look but terrible name sounds like a cartoon heros ;)

#1451 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hmm, not convinced yet, based on those clips since they only portray him shooting and... um, you know.

#1452 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hmm, not convinced yet, based on those clips since they only portray him shooting and... um, you know.

Lol, fair enough, but do catch Strike Back if you can ;)

#1453 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Stapleton will be roughly 44-45 years old by the time his debut film as Bond would be released.  They'd only get a film or two out of him before it would be time to recast the role again.

If we're looking for candidates for the Bond that will succeed Craig, then the search should be for people who are currently in their early-to-mid thirties.  We're looking at there being at least 7 years before Bond #6 makes his debut (1 year until Bond 24, probably 3 after that until Bond 25, and another 3 or 4 until Bond #7 debuts in Bond 26).  Someone in their early forties now is going to be too old by the time the part becomes available.

#1454 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Profile for Bond #7: a British/Irish/Australian/NZ actor, over six foot tall, born between 1980 and 1985, with film/TV credits going back to about 2005, who is currently working in UK television or on the stage.

Also, I would rule out any actor who has already starred in a major film, or whose name is recognized by an American general audience. EON doesn't need to pay for star power. Whoever they cast will become a star automatically. So it makes sense for them to look for a diamond in the rough. They took this approach in 2005, and Craig's success has shown that they were wise to do so. So when the time comes to recast the role, I figure EON will look for another actor in the same position, and with the same qualities, that Craig had in 2005. 

#1455 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

tdalton, certainly with that timeline you've laid out Stapleton is too old.

But 3 years between Bond24 & 25 could in fact be two as could the gap between Bond25 & 26. That makes him 42 when he debuts, certainly no spring chicken.  But i think it'll come down to them working around whomever Babs thinks is the right man. Currently i don't see an actor in his early to mid 30s that's as good a Bond prospect as Stapleton, even at 42.  If Babs thinks that's the best option i'm sure she'll waste no time introducing her new Bond in B26 asap after Craig.

Another factor is would they even want a young actor to replace Craig?  They've just done a reboot and granted a young actor doesn't necessitate a reboot, but it might not be a bad idea to replace Craig with a slightly younger model to play out the current tone and direction (Stapleton can certainly do rugged and gritty).  Just a thought :)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 17 June 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#1456 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

If Sullivan Stapleton has one stand-out quality, it's his versatility. He's been described as...

"the poor man's Gerard Butler"

"the poor man's Russell Crowe"

"the poor man's Colin Farrell" 

"the poor man's Jason Statham"

What range! 

Edited by Bourbon Woman, 17 June 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#1457 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

If Sullivan Stapleton has one stand-out quality, it's his versatility. He's been described as...

"the poor man's Gerard Butler"

"the poor man's Russell Crowe"

"the poor man's Colin Farrell" 

"the poor man's Jason Statham"

What range! 

Lol ;)

Well, you did say:

"EON doesn't need to pay for star power. Whoever they cast will become a star automatically. So it makes sense for them to look for a diamond in the rough."

You're links above certainly cast him as a 'diamond in the rough'.

ETA:  3 of those links you gave are reviewing 300: Rise of an Empire, which as i said above Stapleton is miscast in, since it calls for pompous melodrama, which Stapleton doesn't really do - and that's a good thing - he's more down to earth grittiness.

The Collin Farrell  link is a review of Strike Back  and that comparison confirms the 'down to earth grittiness' i just mentioned (exactly where Bond is right now with Craig's magnificent portrayal).

And btw, that Strike Back review starts with:

Don't be fooled by the generic title of Strike Back: Season 1.  This is a brilliantly realised international espionage series.

So do watch it and judge Stapleton's credentials for yourself, folks...

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 18 June 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#1458 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

I can't see past Stapletons fake American everything on Strike Back, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

#1459 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have never even heard of this guy until he has been mentioned. I mean say if he was cast as Bond I wouldn't be disappointed or anything, but I also wouldn't be thrilled. I think he might do okay in the role but I am sure there are other actors out there who could do a better job? That's my opinion on him anyway. 

#1460 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Ok, so there i was saying there's no one on the scene except Hardy and Stapleton and up pops Dan Stevens in this...

I guess his cheesy turn in upper class Eastenders  soap opera Downton Abbey  put him way in my peripheral vision since i can't bear to watch more than 30 seconds of that utter tosh.

In this trailer he's channeling his inner Ryan Goslin to pretty good effect and coming across really quite Bondish IMHO.

With spades of neon in the palate and a leading man of very dubious moral, the movie itself seems also to be channeling plenty of Nicholas Winding Refn  (my dream choice to direct Bond - 'dream choice' because i'll never happen, but he'd knock a faithful version of YOLT outta' the park).

The Guest  looks like it could be something to look forward to, but more to the point i think there's a new strong contender on the scene and at a mere 31 he probably won't be too old when Craig steps aside.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 27 June 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#1461 DrShatterhand

DrShatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Funny, when I saw the trailer for 'The Guest', my first thought was could that terribly nice chap Matthew Crawley from Downton really play Bond! I wouldn't thought it before but Dan Stevens could definitely be in for a shout after seeing that. My money would still be on Jamie Dorman at this stage, think his physical presence gives him the edge.

#1462 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Shatterhand (btw, great name), before seeing that trailer i too scoffed at the thought of considering Stevens. I was wrong.

As for Jamie Dorman, he is v good in the Fall, but nothing there made me think Bond. However, lets wait and see where Fifty Shades of Grey leaves him. Bizarrely it was the stylised, slightly violent sex scenes of Love Is The Devil (despite being gay sex scenes) that first made me think of Craig as a strong Bond candidate. So Fifty Shades will certainly show us that side of Dorman.

#1463 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Dan Stevens? ...Why not. He's not too old, has name recognition in both the UK and the US (but not too much), and he's blond, so it would be a nice transition from Craig. 

Better than Tom Hardy anyday. 

#1464 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

Jamie Dornan might be too big now because of Fifty Shades of Grey. He would be a great Bond though, he's super good looking........ Yum.

#1465 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Jamie Dornan might be too big now because of Fifty Shades of Grey. He would be a great Bond though, he's super good looking........ Yum.

Or, he might be desperate for a career boost - that new trailer is absolute pants!

#1466 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Ok, so there i was saying there's no one on the scene except Hardy and Stapleton and up pops Dan Stevens in this...

I guess his cheesy turn in upper class Eastenders  soap opera Downton Abbey  put him way in my peripheral vision since i can't bear to watch more than 30 seconds of that utter tosh.

In this trailer he's channeling his inner Ryan Goslin to pretty good effect and coming across really quite Bondish IMHO.

With spades of neon in the palate and a leading man of very dubious moral, the movie itself seems also to be channeling plenty of Nicholas Winding Refn  (my dream choice to direct Bond - 'dream choice' because i'll never happen, but he'd knock a faithful version of YOLT outta' the park).

The Guest  looks like it could be something to look forward to, but more to the point i think there's a new strong contender on the scene and at a mere 31 he probably won't be too old when Craig steps aside.

He actually could grow into a great Bond.  He´s got the acting chops, he´s got the looks.  He has got a name in the business.  Very interesting.

#1467 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Or, he might be desperate for a career boost - that new trailer is absolute pants!

Yeah if Fifty Shades of Grey totally bombs at the box office then he should do Bond. I guarantee you though that it won't.

#1468 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yeah if Fifty Shades of Grey totally bombs at the box office then he should do Bond. I guarantee you though that it won't.

I'm sure it won't bomb - there's no shortage of plenty of yummy-mummys with cash to spend. That will make the studio beg Eon to cast him, but i hope they'll no more sold than i am from that cheese-mongering trailer.

#1469 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Ok, there's a new trailer for the Dan Stevens thriller The Guest:

https://screen.yahoo...-150245873.html

I'd say this puts him pretty much at the top of Eon's list of realistic candidates

Edit: Here's the full trailer:

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 09 August 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#1470 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Someone over at one of those "other" sites suggested a different Jamie....Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, Snowpiercer, Turn).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0068260/

He's defnitely got the acting chops, and the Craig "look", and he's only 28. But he's only five foot seven...so.....?