This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1471 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Being a huge Sleepy Hollow fan (excited for the upcoming second season!), I've been thinking about Tom Mison as a possible choice for Bond. He's 32, so age-wise maybe a little young... but I've enjoyed his performace as Ichabod Crane and the series has shown he can do a bit of action.

#1472 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

Being a huge Sleepy Hollow fan (excited for the upcoming second season!), I've been thinking about Tom Mison as a possible choice for Bond. He's 32, so age-wise maybe a little young... but I've enjoyed his performace as Ichabod Crane and the series has shown he can do a bit of action.

I don't know anything about Mison, but he's at the upper end of the age bracket that EON should be looking at for Bond #7.  He'll be 33 when Bond 24 is released and 36 when Craig's finale hits theaters, if current timelines are any indication.  Then, were he cast, he'd make his debut at either 38 or 39, which would still give him a decade and some change to play Bond should he get the part.

#1473 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

I don't know anything about Mison, but he's at the upper end of the age bracket that EON should be looking at for Bond #7.  He'll be 33 when Bond 24 is released and 36 when Craig's finale hits theaters, if current timelines are any indication.  Then, were he cast, he'd make his debut at either 38 or 39, which would still give him a decade and some change to play Bond should he get the part.

Ok, that sounds about right. Then he'd be around the same age Craig was when CR was released.

#1474 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

He may not look as Bondian as some would like, but I'm always surprised I don't see Jack Huston mentioned that much. Anyone that has watched Boardwalk Empire will know who he is. He's 31 years old, English, 6 ft. He's the grandson of the fairly legendary director John Huston. I haven't seen the movie, but he won an award at a film festival for his role as Jack Kerouac in Kill Your Darlings.

jack-huston-zombies.jpg

#1475 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Great thought, KB 007! He hadn't crossed my mind until now. Loved him in Boardwalk Empire.

#1476 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Great thought, KB 007! He hadn't crossed my mind until now. Loved him in Boardwalk Empire.

Yes, he was the heart and soul of Boardwalk. It helped that his character was so well written and his journey so compelling, but Huston underplayed it absolutely perfectly. I'm sure he'd be a superb Bond - probably the most Fleming-esque if he brought some of Boardwalk's chilly ruthlessness.

Of course he'd have to have half his face covered with a disturbing oil rendition of his likeness   ;)

Joking aside he'd also make a fine villain.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 10 September 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#1477 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

I agree.  Right now, Craig really is the only actor I can think of who can do Bond justice.

But audiences change quickly, and the older Craig gets the louder people/studios/marketing experts/journalists will cry for a rejuvenation.

As for a one-off with Dalton - yeah, that would be very interesting.  But the biggest chance at that would be if Dalton got a cable series about a "retired" spy.  Or a movie like Brosnan obviously has pulled off with "November Man".

I love the idea of a "one-off" with Bond in his sixties for one last job. Could be a great opportunity to play a little with the formula and take some risks that Eon woul have never dared to

I agree.

#1478 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

Sam Claflin perhaps? I feel he would look the part, is a fairly good actor and would be early-to-mid 30s when Craig steps down...

#1479 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

jack-huston-zombies.jpg

He just got cast as the new Ben-Hur....

#1480 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

How do we feel about Matthew Goode? He reminds me of a young Edward Fox. 

stoker_matthew_goode.jpg

Matthew+Goode+2.jpg

He's 6'2", English, born in 1978. I've never seen him in anything, but based on his looks, age, and acting history, I think he's a plausible contender.

#1481 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

He´s quite good.  Check out "Stoker", for example.  

He could be a contender.

#1482 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

If only Jon Hamm was British....

still, it may be time for a new Felix Leiter....

#1483 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Sadly, Hamm might be too high profile for Felix...

Now if he played a villain, sign me up!

#1484 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

How do we feel about Matthew Goode? He reminds me of a young Edward Fox. 

stoker_matthew_goode.jpg

He's 6'2", English, born in 1978. I've never seen him in anything, but based on his looks, age, and acting history, I think he's a plausible contender.

He's a great actor, but not right for Bond IMO.

He's to contemporary Bond casting what Ian Ogilvy was to early 80s Bond casting. Seems not a bad fit at the time, but in hindsight i'm glad he wasn't cast.

#1485 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

I don't see much similarity, either in their appearance or in their relationship to the incumbent Bond. Ogilvy was popularly seen as a candidate for the Bond role because he was "the new Roger Moore" -- he resembled Moore physically, and he played Simon Templar. For very unimaginative people, that made Ogilvy look like Moore's natural successor in the role of Bond. But anyone with a little creativity would have dismissed the idea, even at the time. Ogilvy would have been a substitute, not a successor. When the time came to recast the role, they went with someone totally distinct, not with a "Roger Moore type". 

Today, I can't think of any actor who is seen as "the new Daniel Craig". Certainly not Matthew Goode, who is totally different in appearance and in the kind of roles he has played (Goode has played more high-status and romantic leads). Whereas Ogilvy would have been a clone of Moore, Goode would be a radical departure from Craig. So I don't think it's right to compare Goode to Ogilvy.

Actually, I think the closest contemporary analogue to Ogilvy would be Tom Hardy, because Hardy is reminiscent of Craig in the same way that Ogilvy was reminiscent of Moore. I think that's why a lot of people suggest Hardy for Bond. They imagine that Craig's successor must also be a brooding blue-eyed bruiser, and Hardy is the only guy who seems to fit the bill.

#1486 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

Somebody WAY out of left field. Off the radar...

#1487 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:02 AM

I would have to agree. They have their eyes on someone already, but we probably aren't aware of them.

#1488 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

There hasn't been an off-the-radar choice since Lazenby, and after Lazenby there won't be another. Starting with Moore, every Bond actor has been an established talent with at least a decade of credits in film or television. Craig certainly wasn't a bolt from the blue. Plenty of people on this board predicted Craig, or at least mentioned him as a possibility.

Bond #7 won't be a shocker to CBn regulars. It's not as if there's some secret sanctuary full of actors who have never been cast in anything despite being marvelously talented. Anyone with the chops to play Bond is already working and racking up credits on IMDb. It's true that we don't know who Bond #7 will be, but in all likelihood we've already heard his name.

#1489 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't see much similarity, either in their appearance or in their relationship to the incumbent Bond. Ogilvy was popularly seen as a candidate for the Bond role because he was "the new Roger Moore" -- he resembled Moore physically, and he played Simon Templar. For very unimaginative people, that made Ogilvy look like Moore's natural successor in the role of Bond. But anyone with a little creativity would have dismissed the idea, even at the time. Ogilvy would have been a substitute, not a successor. When the time came to recast the role, they went with someone totally distinct, not with a "Roger Moore type". 

Today, I can't think of any actor who is seen as "the new Daniel Craig". Certainly not Matthew Goode, who is totally different in appearance and in the kind of roles he has played (Goode has played more high-status and romantic leads). Whereas Ogilvy would have been a clone of Moore, Goode would be a radical departure from Craig. So I don't think it's right to compare Goode to Ogilvy.

Actually, I think the closest contemporary analogue to Ogilvy would be Tom Hardy, because Hardy is reminiscent of Craig in the same way that Ogilvy was reminiscent of Moore. I think that's why a lot of people suggest Hardy for Bond. They imagine that Craig's successor must also be a brooding blue-eyed bruiser, and Hardy is the only guy who seems to fit the bill.

Totally agree about Ogilvy, but his similarities (certainly not physical) were not what i meant. I was referring to his genteel gentlemanly manor - old school ties'n all that.

As for Hardy, i see your point, but his Craig-like grittiness (though Hardy's is in a league of its own) not really his main strength as a candidate. That would be his unparalleled acting abilities - he's the best actor out there right now - of any generation - and can go chops-for-chops against any of the past greats. That's why they'd beg him to be Bond and why he'd probably not do it (though he may relish the villain role).

#1490 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

There hasn't been an off-the-radar choice since Lazenby, and after Lazenby there won't be another. Starting with Moore, every Bond actor has been an established talent with at least a decade of credits in film or television. Craig certainly wasn't a bolt from the blue. Plenty of people on this board predicted Craig, or at least mentioned him as a possibility.

Bond #7 won't be a shocker to CBn regulars. It's not as if there's some secret sanctuary full of actors who have never been cast in anything despite being marvelously talented. Anyone with the chops to play Bond is already working and racking up credits on IMDb. It's true that we don't know who Bond #7 will be, but in all likelihood we've already heard his name.
Not sure I entirely agree there. Yes, Craig was suggested a couple of times here, and there certainly were people familiar with his performance who thought he had the potential for Bond. But how many were really convinced he'd land the part? In light of Eon's and MGM's recent practice up until then, see the run from GOLDENEYE to DIE ANOTHER DAY?

I'd argue not a lot of people at that point rated Craig's chances to become Bond. Some did, yes. But for most Craig came as a huge surprise. And understandably so, as the Bond series at that point can hardly be said to have encouraged thinking outside the box. Today things have changed somewhat drastically in this regard, but I for one - despite following the fate of Bond on screen since 1977 - was taken off guard when Brosnan was announced not to return. I'd never have dreamt he'd be replaced with somebody so obviously going off the beaten path, both in type and terms of character depiction.

I'd say with Craig it became apparent how wide the radar's range - Eon's radar, at least - has actually become, that's for sure.

Edited by Dustin, 25 September 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#1491 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Agreed!

But it will be very interesting to see who will be chosen next time.  Thinking outside of the box can become "boxed in"-syndrome, too.

Also, it will be interesting to see when they will choose another Bond.  I get the feeling they will want to stick with Craig as long as possible.  And since Craig has fallen into the Bond-trap, not having the chance to establish himself as a box office draw outside of Bond, he probably will stay on as long as possible as well.  Then again, he will have made enough money with two more Bonds and might go back to character roles.

BOND 25 seems a given (in 2018?).  He could bow out with that, another anniversary.  But he could stay on for BOND 26 (in 2020/21).  Still one film short of Sir Roger´s tenure.  But in sheer length (2006-2021) he would be no.1.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 25 September 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#1492 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

It's going to be Idris Elba. The media has decided. Just look at the news today - they will not stop until he's chosen. They want the headlines...

#1493 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

There hasn't been an off-the-radar choice since GL? What about TD?

And no way will Idris Elba be Bond. He's the flavor of the month. By the time Craig steps down - years from now - somebody else will be the flavor of the month. Other than PB and possibly RM, when have the producers ever listened to the headlines?

#1494 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

It won't be Elba.  If he were to get the part, by the time Craig is done and his film were to come out, he'd be almost 50 years old.

#1495 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

Of course nobody knew that Craig was going to be Bond. But he was among the actors suggested on this board, and that IMO means that he wasn't "off the radar". He was only off the radar of people who weren't paying attention. In the same way, the next Bond actor will probably come as a surprise to the general public, who are only aware of a handful of ultra-high-profile candidates, like Fassbender and Hardy. The hardcore fans will have cast a wider net. 

EON won't cast an actor that we can't guess. The only unguessable actor is a total unknown -- somebody without credits in film or TV, somebody without an IMDb page, somebody whose existence is known only to professional casting agents. In the era of Google and IMDb, that's the only kind of actor who could totally elude divination by the fandom. And that's not an actor who would ever be considered to star in a billion-dollar movie. Every realistic prospect is documented online, and accessible to the curiosity of a resourceful fan. 

A guy who had already been asked to play Bond was hardly an off-the-radar choice!

#1496 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

A guy who had already been asked to play Bond was hardly an off-the-radar choice!

From the fan perspective he certainly was! How many people knew he'd alerady been approached by the producers? For the fan base, the general public and the North American media, Timothy Dalton was Timothy Who? in early 1986. I certainly was caught off-guard by his announcement.

#1497 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Dalton was a surprise to me, too. I remember seeing him in FLASH GORDON and thought his Errol Flynn act should have landed him the title role. Don't remember seeing much else of him before he took over from Moore; AGATHA if memory serves, though I was too young at the time to appreciate it.

As for on or off the radar, I agree that today it's highly unlikely any name they will come up with will really be 'unknown'; that's just not possible any more. Though actors doing exclusively stage work would probably be as close to unknown as possible. But it's hardly conceivable Eon would really set sights on someone entirely without credits and experience in front of a camera.

#1498 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

I was thinking, is there any young (meaning currently in his mid-30's) who could pull Sir Roger-esque Bond? My guess is that after Bond 25 the franchise might return to business as usual-approach after Craig's personal portrayal (which I simply adore and certainly doesn't bore me).

#1499 Fairbanks

Fairbanks

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Here's a name that I haven't seen mentioned here: James Frecheville. He's an Australian actor born in 1991, so he's too young to succeed Craig, but I think he's someone to keep in mind for Bond 8. He earned praise in 2010 for a role in a film called Animal Kingdom, but he's still rather obscure outside of Australia. I haven't seen him in anything but a few interviews on YouTube, but I like his looks and his demeanor.

James+Frecheville+_9bYnDObeHbm.jpg

#1500 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

What about another Daniel of our acquaintance, who was asked - after his first franchise wrapped - "what's next for you? Harry Bond?"