This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

I don't want to repeat the process with another short and kind of ugly actor more suited to play a Bond villain playing 007.

There is an article on your Dusin Clare in last months Men's Fitness magazine and they mention his height at 5'8.

I also know of many women who think of Daniel Craig as anything but ugly ("Sexies Man" (Durex poll 2006, 2nd place in "Sexiest Man alive" (People Magazine in 2008), "The sexiest men in film" (Cosmopolitan 2007).....)

#542 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

I will never understand how anyone considers Daniel Craig to be ugly, or even short. Ah well, to each his own I suppose.

#543 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

I don't want to repeat the process with another short and kind of ugly actor more suited to play a Bond villain playing 007.

This again? Oh please. :rolleyes:

#544 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:40 AM

There is an article on your Dusin Clare in last months Men's Fitness magazine and they mention his height at 5'8.

That would immediately disqualify him in my book. He didn't look very tall in the scenes I saw him in, but 5'8"?

#545 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

Can I also suggest that we are not in the era of Golden Age Hollywood screen idol masculinity anymore. Tastes and what is deemed good looking, brooding and sexy evolve. Valentino would never have made it onscreen in the 1950's, Bogart would never had been a leading man in the 1980's and the brute of Brando in his prime would not have found an audience today. There will never be a Sean Connery type in the role of BOND as that was fifty years ago when masculinity onscreen and beyond was defined differently. Daniel Craig only gets compared to Connery as he shares some traits, but not all of them. The drives of men in a contemporary context have changed too - so the casting of who Bond would be at that time need to respond to that. Connery was a canny working class force. That would not be canny now as those sort of class based backgrounds are less relevant when it comes to casting. But he was not the classic Fleming Bond as the Bond producers knew that would not be a box office draw, curio or successful casting in an era of British working class men storming the world's cinema screens - Stamp, Finney, Harvey, Harris, Courtenay and Caine - and defining a new sort of screen masculinity.

With Craig, there is a suggestion that the Bond actor of the day needs to be able to act now too. That was less of a concern circa 1962 when Connery (who can act, but only just - he makes up for that with presence, which money cannot buy) got the role. But Lazenby looked the part (as it was defined in the 1960's) but could not act appropriately on screen or behind it and did not come back. Audiences are a tad more sophisticated than they used to be. There will still be scope for mindless screen lovelies (step forward the TWILIGHT series whose box office pulse is solely defined on good looking young studs, regardless of the lack of creative quality of the films), but going for some dated surface thin notion of screen chiselledness is not where any potential Bonds will come from.

And Daniel Craig may not be good looking for some men today, but men no doubt couldn't see the pull of Connery fifty years ago. It is easier to cite Moore and Brosnan as handsome as they hold the looks straight men "get". But the likes of Dalton and Craig are different, so some men cannot fathom their following and naively end up slamming their casting.

#546 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

I want somebody we haven't seen yet and don't know anything about. Yet. Too soon.

#547 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

But Lazenby looked the part (as it was defined in the 1960's) but could not act appropriately on screen or behind it and did not come back.

Well, I don't think there was all that much wrong with his actual performance as Bond.

#548 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:51 AM

But Lazenby looked the part (as it was defined in the 1960's) but could not act appropriately on screen or behind it and did not come back.

Well, I don't think there was all that much wrong with his actual performance as Bond.

Correct. His problems that caused his firing were off camera.

#549 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

except Laz was never fired, he refused to sign a mult-picture contract. EON even sent him a retainer check for DAF that he returned.

#550 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

Can I also suggest that we are not in the era of Golden Age Hollywood screen idol masculinity anymore. Tastes and what is deemed good looking, brooding and sexy evolve. Valentino would never have made it onscreen in the 1950's, Bogart would never had been a leading man in the 1980's and the brute of Brando in his prime would not have found an audience today. There will never be a Sean Connery type in the role of BOND as that was fifty years ago when masculinity onscreen and beyond was defined differently. Daniel Craig only gets compared to Connery as he shares some traits, but not all of them. The drives of men in a contemporary context have changed too - so the casting of who Bond would be at that time need to respond to that. With Craig, there is a suggestion that the Bond actor of the day needs to be able to act now too. That was less of a concern circa 1962 when Connery (who can act, but only just - he makes up for that with presence, which money cannot buy) got the role. But Lazenby looked the part (as it was defined in the 1960's) but could not act appropriately on screen or behind it and did not come back. Audiences are a tad more sophisticated than they used to be. There will still be scope for mindless screen lovelies (step forward the TWILIGHT series whose box office pulse is solely defined on good looking young studs, regardless of the lack of creative quality of the films), but going for some dated surface thin notion of screen chiselledness is not where any potential Bonds will come from.

And Daniel Craig may not be good looking for some men today, but men no doubt couldn't see the pull of Connery fifty years ago. It is easier to cite Moore and Brosnan as handsome as they hold the looks straight men "get". But the likes of Dalton and Craig are different, so some men cannot fathom their following and naively end up slamming their casting.

Sounds like good argument. But I respectfully disagree with almost all of it.

except Laz was never fired, he refused to sign a mult-picture contract. EON even sent him a retainer check for DAF that he returned.

That was dumb on his part. Very very dumb. He could have been a very very good Bond. Possibly second best in my book. But as things are that distinction belongs to Timothy Dalton.

Edited by Frankie, 21 February 2011 - 03:19 AM.

#551 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

Ah, the eternal mystery and shame that is.... The Laz.

#552 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

I want somebody we haven't seen yet and don't know anything about. Yet. Too soon.

Precisely.

#553 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

The years have been kind to Lazenby's performance. His monotone and one-act act suits the role of BOND so he got off that one but there are slightly awkward moments of barely any acting at all especially when he was onscreen with Rigg.

Not wholly. His BOND contains big moments of clunking acting. How he left the part is as important as the initial concerns others had about him staying, regardless of the private politics.

Can I also suggest that we are not in the era of Golden Age Hollywood screen idol masculinity anymore. Tastes and what is deemed good looking, brooding and sexy evolve. Valentino would never have made it onscreen in the 1950's, Bogart would never had been a leading man in the 1980's and the brute of Brando in his prime would not have found an audience today. There will never be a Sean Connery type in the role of BOND as that was fifty years ago when masculinity onscreen and beyond was defined differently. Daniel Craig only gets compared to Connery as he shares some traits, but not all of them. The drives of men in a contemporary context have changed too - so the casting of who Bond would be at that time need to respond to that. Connery was a canny working class force. That would not be canny now as those sort of class based backgrounds are less relevant when it comes to casting. But he was not the classic Fleming Bond as the Bond producers knew that would not be a box office draw, curio or successful casting in an era of British working class men storming the world's cinema screens - Stamp, Finney, Harvey, Harris, Courtenay and Caine - and defining a new sort of screen masculinity.

With Craig, there is a suggestion that the Bond actor of the day needs to be able to act now too. That was less of a concern circa 1962 when Connery (who can act, but only just - he makes up for that with presence, which money cannot buy) got the role. But Lazenby looked the part (as it was defined in the 1960's) but could not act appropriately on screen or behind it and did not come back. Audiences are a tad more sophisticated than they used to be. There will still be scope for mindless screen lovelies (step forward the TWILIGHT series whose box office pulse is solely defined on good looking young studs, regardless of the lack of creative quality of the films), but going for some dated surface thin notion of screen chiselledness is not where any potential Bonds will come from.

Sounds like good argument. But I respectfully disagree with almost all of it.

I somehow thought you would.

#554 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

The years have been kind to Lazenby's performance. His monotone and one-act act suits the role of BOND so he got off that one but there are slightly awkward moments of barely any acting at all especially when he was onscreen with Rigg.

Not wholly. His BOND contains big moments of clunking acting. How he left the part is as important as the initial concerns others had about him staying, regardless of the private politics.

But these "initial concerns" about Lazenby, (presumably from those who were working on the film?) only seemed to appear AFTER Lazenby quit...

Now it may have been that these folks had these opinions while the film was being made but decided to keep them to themselves, but I find it amusing that the anti-Laz EON machine only kicked in AFTER he quit. Could be me being cynical, though.

However, I do think whatever personal dislike within the crew there might have been, these were not sufficiently shared by Harry and Cubby, who sent him a EIGHT picture contract, for heaven's sake!

Lazenby's quoted press reviews were 50/50. I recall Rog's being not dissimilar. And I suspect not all Sir Sean's reviews in '62 were positive. Each new Bond has divided opinion, which really is only natural.

DAF appears to have been initially conceived as straight revenge sequel to OHMSS with Lazenby. EON were clearly happy enough with him, personal warts-and-all. Only when the silly bastard chucked it in, did the EON machine decide to [censored] all over him.

Successfully clouding opinions for over 40 years.

#555 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Don't get me wrong. I like Lazenby in the role. But I am not sure if the series would have survived had he stayed on. And fifty years on I personally feel that still having a series of films is more important than what might have been with George Lazenby donen such and such a film. He may have jumped ship, but he was hardly made to feel that staying on-board was a welcome idea. He made enemies with a lot of people - some of which have a say on who is cast on Bond and how the series progressed. All the contracts in the world (and how they are discussed in the media, which is often different from the contract bound small print) don't mean much if you make waves on a film set and grate with the management. That can be said for any film set at any time (coughs Mel Gibson).

Also, Lazenby's BOND was an echo of an earlier time. I think people in the decisions chair knew that the whole thing needed updating and moving in a different direction. Connery may have anchored the ship in more familiar waters with DIAMONDS - as an emergency measure, but a new course was needed that Lazenby, contracts or not, was not equipped to navigate.

But I would like to say I have no problem with Lazenby and have a certain high regard for OHMSS and his work in it.

#556 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Also, Lazenby's BOND was an echo of an earlier time. I think people in the decisions chair knew that the whole thing needed updating and moving in a different direction. Connery may have anchored the ship in more familiar waters with DIAMONDS - as an emergency measure, but a new course was needed that Lazenby, contracts or not, was not equipped to navigate.

Now I would have been able to believe some of that argument had EON gone with Burt Reynolds. Or made Clint and offer he couldn't refuse. Or one or two others.

But Roger Moore as the new James Bond!!!! Not an "echo of an earlier time"????? Roger IS the Saint, the ultimate '60s conservative suited-and-booted hero, and Roger's Saint is James Bond. Roger was an old [censored] at 45 in 1973, the typical pompous [censored] Brit abroad. Essentially, then, the very SAFE option as James Bond. A few additional schoolboy puns delivered in an upper class RADA-manufactured accent do not "update" James Bond, surely?

:confused:

#557 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

The cameras, the audience and the Bond management liked Moore. The Fleming-bound fans may say otherwise but the decision to let Roger Moore steer Bond through the 1970's and 1980's worked. It is that simple. The mechanics of the films and the role may have shifted and evolved away from what Connery did but updating the role of Bond was never going to mean going with a Connery clone who was a bit younger. Updating doesn't have to imply cutting edge hard assassin.

I don't see the Moore films failing at the box office and failing to find an enthusiasm for Bond within generations of audience members.

Anyhoo... I'm not getting into a p***ing contest over the best Bonds.

#558 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

DAF appears to have been initially conceived as straight revenge sequel to OHMSS with Lazenby. EON were clearly happy enough with him, personal warts-and-all. Only when the silly bastard chucked it in, did the EON machine decide to [censored] all over him.

DAF was by far Connery's worst Bond flick. I think he was disrespected to be put in all that over the top comical stunt garbage that later marked most of Moore's Bond movies. the treatment you are talking about would have been great. Too bad they changed it. :(

#559 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

DAF was by far Connery's worst Bond flick. I think he was disrespected to be put in all that over the top comical stunt garbage that later marked most of Moore's Bond movies. the treatment you are talking about would have been great. Too bad they changed it. :(

I don't consider Connery was disrespected at all for Diamonds to be honest. Surely the over the top stunt garbage you refer to is nothing more than the Bond films changing and adapting for the upcoming decade instead of looking back to the Bond zeitgeist of the 1960's and never moving on from there. Connery also said that he liked the script for Diamonds and was up for doing it (provided it didn't go over it's shooting schedule).
It could also be argued the film was beneficial for Connery's career as his films post YOLT had hitherto failed to capture the mass public imagination.

#560 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

I thought I found the right "next Bond" (not perfect - I still prefer Bond dark-haired). But, DAMMIT he turns out to be Danish!!!!

Posted Image

Can't wait to watch "Game of Thrones" to evaluate his acting ability and accent further.

#561 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

Precisely.

Ahem.

Just watched "Black Death," a grim story about, er, the black death. Sean Bean as the leader of a bunch of hardened soldiers sent to find a witch shares screen time with this mousy fella playing a young monk in love, actor's name is Eddie Redmayne. The monk's role is pretty non-Bond but he takes a dark twist right towards the end... give this Redmayne another 5-6 years, he'll be in the running for the next Bond. Link to young-Brosnan looking image (waaay too large to post) here. 2 cents.

#562 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

I just believe I suggest the best suggestions for the next James Bond. Don't believe me? go back and chec all my posts in this thread. :)

Here's another one:

Clive Standen (6'2", Born 1981 County Down, Northern Ireland, UK)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#563 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I just believe I suggest the best suggestions for the next James Bond. Don't believe me? go back and chec all my posts in this thread. :)

Here's another one:

Clive Standen (6'2", Born 1981 County Down, Northern Ireland, UK)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks awesome to be another Bond!

#564 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

Or another BMW ad model? Time will tell.

#565 0077

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

There must be another Scot to be Bond before another Irishman gets the role. Just my perference.

#566 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

http://twitter.com/StaxIGN
Henry Cavill has spoken he's still game for Bond

#567 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

First and foremost a terrific actor. The looks are totally secondary.

Having said that, it wouldn´t hurt if the next one looked a bit like Jon Hamm.

#568 Lt. Garfield

Lt. Garfield

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Ioan Gruffudd for me I guess

#569 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Clive Owen was the perfect actor for Casino Royale. I still wonder in which criterions Barbara Broccoli has prefered to choose Daniel Craig, because I don't know what's on your mind, but if in 2005, you would have said me Daniel Craig will be acting James Bond next year, I would have not believed it.

Posted Image

As I said on another topic, I would have enjoyed Ralph Fiennes as Bond. He looked awesome. The same idea for Hugh Jackman or Clive Owen so. But now they are all too old. Henry Cavill, even if he's wonderful in The Tudors, acts Superman now, and it will be complicated seeing him as Bond. Just my opinion. By the way, if we look at Ian Fleming's James Bond's drawing, don't you think Jason Isaacs is the twin brother of the James Bond drawn ? I find this disconcerting.

Lastly, to play James Bond after Craig, Fassbender has my vote. He matches enough Ian Fleming's description I think (especially the cruel mouth, even when he smiles, like Dalton) and he looks like the famous drawing (especially his mouth, his eyes, his chin and also his face form), doesn't he ? A little photomontage.

Posted Image

#570 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

I thought I found the right "next Bond" (not perfect - I still prefer Bond dark-haired). But, DAMMIT he turns out to be Danish!!!!

Posted Image

Can't wait to watch "Game of Thrones" to evaluate his acting ability and accent further.

I did see him on GOT, and wasn't that impressed. He's now off of my list.