This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#511 Richard Henderson

Richard Henderson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image

He reminds me David James Elliott from TV series JAG.

#512 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

For the record, that is NOT the Aidan Turner I was referencing. That guys just looks like the "Bondian" template that should never get cast.

#513 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Just saw an episode of "Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena." Don't know much about Dustin Clare, but here he is for your feedback:

Posted Image Posted Image

What do you think?

Edited by Frankie, 17 February 2011 - 07:13 AM.

#514 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Just saw an episode of "Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena." Don't know much about Dustin Clare, but here he is for your feedback:

Posted Image Posted Image

What do you think?

Not remotely right.

#515 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

Can't really judge a potential Bond by just a picture, I have never seen either of those guys in anything so I don't know how their acting skill and charisma/presence is. The guy with the big jaw looks too much like a comic book drawing (with a jaw way too exaggerated) to be Bond.

#516 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

What do you think?

Well he's no Noah Huntley.

#517 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Can't really judge a potential Bond by just a picture, I have never seen either of those guys in anything so I don't know how their acting skill and charisma/presence is. The guy with the big jaw looks too much like a comic book drawing (with a jaw way too exaggerated) to be Bond.

I have always thought if Connery had never been Bond he was a perfect fit for a prominent comic super hero. AND, I can only duplicate his picture here, not his acting and charisma and screen presence. He caught my eye in the show exactly for the latter in the first place. Then i figured his looks were suitable for the role too.

Just saw an episode of "Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena." Don't know much about Dustin Clare, but here he is for your feedback.

What do you think?

Not remotely right.

I'm afraid you are just stating your personal opinion without mentioning any reasons. IMO, this guy looks quite Connery-like, especially with the eyes, eyebrows, and tough facial skeleton. Way more Bond-looking than Craig, actually. His acting was not bad at all either, granted I watched only one episode.

#518 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm afraid you are just stating your personal opinion without mentioning any reasons. IMO, this guy looks quite Connery-like, especially with the eyes, eyebrows, and tough facial skeleton. Way more Bond-looking than Craig, actually. His acting was not bad at all either, granted I watched only one episode.

I am not sure reasons are needed. He is not remotely suitable. Looking like previous actors is not enough. He is so not right it is not worth even stating why (no offence intended).

#519 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I am not sure reasons are needed. He is not remotely suitable. Looking like previous actors is not enough. He is so not right it is not worth even stating why (no offence intended).

As you are making this judgment solely based on pics I will file it in your "personal opinion" folder. That's cool, though. I have always said suitable looks is the 1st step for the suitability of an actor for the 007 role.

#520 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

As you are making this judgment solely based on pics I will file it in your "personal opinion" folder. That's cool, though. I have always said suitable looks is the 1st step for the suitability of an actor for the 007 role.

You didn't ask for an opinion based upon anything else, did you?

I'm assuming that if I opined that this person was obviously suitable, this would be in the folder of fact.

#521 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

You didn't ask for an opinion based upon anything else, did you?

I'm assuming that if I opined that this person was obviously suitable, this would be in the folder of fact.

No it wouldn't. It would still be an opinion based on looks. But the whole idea is to through fan-found possibilities into the hat and discuss them. Maybe someone with more info about this guy would step in and comment. 'tsall.

#522 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

But not all suggestions need to be "fan found". They can also be "in the right ballpark". And playing soap opera lotharios and pumped up gladiators in unnecessary Roman sandal scandal cash-ins is not that ballpark for BOND.

#523 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

But not all suggestions need to be "fan found". They can also be "in the right ballpark". And playing soap opera lotharios and pumped up gladiators in unnecessary Roman sandal scandal cash-ins is not that ballpark for BOND.

Many good actors have soap opera backgrounds. I see potential, you seem to limit your choices. Gotta use a bit of imagination and creativity my friend.

#524 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

doing a google search here is Dustin Clare looking a bit more Bondian did he dies in Spartacus
Posted Image

By this picture I like his look for Bond better than the big jawed guy, but as I have said, I have never seen either of them act so I really can't say.

I have also learned not to judge a Bond by his cover, so to speak. When I first heard Craig's name mentioned as a possible Bond I looked up a picture of him and thought he looked all wrong. Of course now he is my 2nd favorite 007 right after Connery.

#525 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

There isn't an actor I know of right now who I think screams "Bond." With that said, not many of us knew who Daniel was and look what he's proven capable of. I look forward to another unknown who has to prove himself (though hopefully not to a press nearly as aggressive and mean spirited as what Craig had to deal with; I wouldn't wish that on anyone).

#526 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Many good actors have soap opera backgrounds. I see potential, you seem to limit your choices. Gotta use a bit of imagination and creativity my friend.

Not limiting my choices at all. Just being realistic. If you want to use imagination (and that's a good thing) might I suggest one looks at actors and not "Bondian" caricatures as the latter has never been cast as 007.

#527 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

If you want to use imagination (and that's a good thing) might I suggest one looks at actors and not "Bondian" caricatures as the latter has never been cast as 007.

I'd say Pierce qualifies as a Bondian caricature, though by no fault of his own.

#528 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

I'd say Pierce qualifies as a Bondian caricature, though by no fault of his own.

Very true.

He had the dark features of Sean Connery, the light charm like Roger Moore, looked good in a suit while playing Remington Steele and spoke with a British accent. That is why he was touted as 007 as early as 1982.

#529 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

There isn't an actor I know of right now who I think screams "Bond."

Very, very true. Where's the current equivalent of Clive Owen? Even those actors whom I feel kinda-sorta might have what it takes, namely Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy, still fall rather short (and in any case I see neither of those guys as realistic hires for Eon Productions), and I'm afraid that I'm utterly flabbergasted by the following (tiny though it undoubtedly is) for Cavill. I just hope Craig stays on for two or three more films, because as far as I can tell it's a desert out there.

#530 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Craig do two more and then the series take something of a break for a while. MGM is still a volatile company that EON desperately needs to break from, and since there appears to be slim pickins acting-wise for the role of Bond at the moment (I too don't see the appeal of Cavill, and while Hardy is charming, there's still something lacking) I don't think we'd be missing a whole lot. I love me my Bond, and trust me I'd be thrilled to get a solid entry every other year, but Michael Wilson himself said things are slowing down, and that an end may be in sight. We're already seeing with Bond 23 a very serious attempt to make something wildly different than anything we've seen before; they appear to be really going for it in a way that we could never have imagined possible. Let's think about, when is the next time we'll be seeing an actor as talented and devoted as Craig step up for the role of James Bond? Better still, when are we going to see a director as prestigious as Mendes take on this franchise, pulling in big names like Bardem, Fiennes, and Beale?

We're at a definite crossroads right now. This is very much a renaissance for this brand, and one that likely won't be repeated again unless some serious time is spent away from it. Bond is a cinematic icon, and as such he will always have an audience anxious to soak in his exploits. With that said, you can only play the same tune so many times before it just becomes noise.

#531 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Not limiting my choices at all. Just being realistic. If you want to use imagination (and that's a good thing) might I suggest one looks at actors and not "Bondian" caricatures as the latter has never been cast as 007.

So you have decided that this guy is a "Bondian caricature" without knowing anything else about him. That screams of you limiting your criterea. Tell me, if you were involved in casting the next Bond with EON, would you immediately dismiss this guy and call him a "Bondian caricature," after seeing his head shot and never try to audition him?

More so Roger Moore. At least PB went on the record many times wanting Bond to be edgier.

#532 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

So you have decided that this guy is a "Bondian caricature" without knowing anything else about him. That screams of you limiting your criterea. Tell me, if you were involved in casting the next Bond with EON, would you immediately dismiss this guy and call him a "Bondian caricature," after seeing his head shot and never try to audition him?

I am not limiting any criteria. I am just going on an immediate reaction to the actor in question.

I have experience of casting and if this headshot came up for a Bond longlist I would pass immediately.

This guy is not a bad actor. He is nice to look at and he is a type. But he is not a Bond.

#533 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

This guy.
He should be suitable, considering the standards that have been put forward by some: a male model, looking nice in a suit, with looks that kill.

#534 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

This guy.
He should be suitable, considering the standards that have been put forward by some: a male model, looking nice in a suit, with looks that kill.

Yes, he is so very, very good looking :D

#535 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Craig do two more and then the series take something of a break for a while.

Another long break? :o

#536 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Craig do two more and then the series take something of a break for a while. MGM is still a volatile company that EON desperately needs to break from, and since there appears to be slim pickins acting-wise for the role of Bond at the moment (I too don't see the appeal of Cavill, and while Hardy is charming, there's still something lacking) I don't think we'd be missing a whole lot. I love me my Bond, and trust me I'd be thrilled to get a solid entry every other year, but Michael Wilson himself said things are slowing down, and that an end may be in sight. We're already seeing with Bond 23 a very serious attempt to make something wildly different than anything we've seen before; they appear to be really going for it in a way that we could never have imagined possible. Let's think about, when is the next time we'll be seeing an actor as talented and devoted as Craig step up for the role of James Bond? Better still, when are we going to see a director as prestigious as Mendes take on this franchise, pulling in big names like Bardem, Fiennes, and Beale?

We're at a definite crossroads right now. This is very much a renaissance for this brand, and one that likely won't be repeated again unless some serious time is spent away from it. Bond is a cinematic icon, and as such he will always have an audience anxious to soak in his exploits. With that said, you can only play the same tune so many times before it just becomes noise.

Agreed with pretty much all of that. I've long had the feeling that Eon may intend the Craig era to be the final chapter.

#537 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

I am not limiting any criteria. I am just going on an immediate reaction to the actor in question.

I have experience of casting and if this headshot came up for a Bond longlist I would pass immediately.

This guy is not a bad actor. He is nice to look at and he is a type. But he is not a Bond.

I guess I cannot agree with your stand here and your method. A good casting agent would immediately include this head shot in an folder to be reviewed among other possibilities. then would set out to find out more about the guy. You know, things like acting experience, age, height, speaking voice, etc. He may not pass after more info is revealed, but I bet most of the posters agree with me that he passes the initial reaction test. That's why I suggested him to this thread. All I know about him is that he is Australian, and had some screen presence for the little while that I watched him on the small screen. He had an acceptable speaking voice but I couldn't gauge his height as I had nothing and nobody that I knew in the scene to compare him to. Hence, this "casting agent" is curious to find out more about him to see if he has Bond potential.

May I ask, Zorin, whom your favorite Bond has been and who is your best choice among all the names mentioned in this thread for the future 007? I know I could go back and read the entire thread, but save me the time please.

#538 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Perhaps I shouldn't attempt to speak for Zorin, but I imagine that he views Craig as the best Bond, while his personal favourite is Moore, and he would like Henry Cavill to be the next 007.

#539 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

For all sorts of reasons I would rest on Roger Moore as the favourite - but that is for a slew of personal reasons and reactions, a lot of which are quite removed from the role of Bond and Fleming's take on him. The best Bond? I try not to answer that one as it invariably shifts in time as I do and picking one actor - working of not - creates comparison and disappointment.

Yes, I would put Henry Cavill as high on the list as Eon's casting couch has (and may again). I think the Man Of Steel scenario clouds the waters, but maybe not as Eon's practices and ethos shifts and evolves and they have cast a Saint, a Steele and a Prince before as Bond and tend to get their man in the end. Cavill is still - in my book granted - leagues ahead of a lot of dream-list candidates as he ticks so many boxes - international presence, clean CV (for example, Tom Hardy's bad boy past may preclude him from the global ambassadorial nature of the role), the cameras love him, he screams tailored finesse and straddles the classical and future-facing needs of the role.

I would not dismiss Tom Hardy though as, I say, the ethos and requirements of the role and its undertaking (away from the cameras) could evolve. I would also (and this is a recent notion) not entirely dismiss Robert Pattinson from at least future rumour lists.

But all of this is fairly academic. In the past I have had a chat with someone not that removed from the Bond casting table and the fact is, if they have someone good in the role, that is where their attentions and energies reside. And rightly so.

I stand by my belief that - as an example - this Dustin Crops guy would not get past a face-check on a pile of headshots. It's all down to instinct and my casting instincts and experience would look past him. And for a part like Bond I don't think the thinking process would start with headshots alone but discoveries and buzz on actors, trips to the theatre, a whole library of films the public would not even be aware of and millions of Eon lunches. Henry Cavill was on a lot of lists for a LOT of roles. The casting departments of the world are very aware of him. I have come across his headshot more than once (so to speak). Lets see how SUPERMAN VI pans out. And more importantly let's just get on with Daniel Craig instead of looking over his shoulder.

#540 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

For all sorts of reasons I would rest on Roger Moore as the favourite - but that is for a slew of personal reasons and reactions, a lot of which are quite removed from the role of Bond and Fleming's take on him. The best Bond? I try not to answer that one as it invariably shifts in time as I do and picking one actor - working of not - creates comparison and disappointment.

Yes, I would put Henry Cavill as high on the list as Eon's casting couch has (and may again). I think the Man Of Steel scenario clouds the waters, but maybe not as Eon's practices and ethos shifts and evolves and they have cast a Saint, a Steele and a Prince before as Bond and tend to get their man in the end. Cavill is still - in my book granted - leagues ahead of a lot of dream-list candidates as he ticks so many boxes - international presence, clean CV (for example, Tom Hardy's bad boy past may preclude him from the global ambassadorial nature of the role), the cameras love him, he screams tailored finesse and straddles the classical and future-facing needs of the role.

I would not dismiss Tom Hardy though as, I say, the ethos and requirements of the role and its undertaking (away from the cameras) could evolve. I would also (and this is a recent notion) not entirely dismiss Robert Pattinson from at least future rumour lists.

But all of this is fairly academic. In the past I have had a chat with someone not that removed from the Bond casting table and the fact is, if they have someone good in the role, that is where their attentions and energies reside. And rightly so.

I stand by my belief that - as an example - this Dustin Crops guy would not get past a face-check on a pile of headshots. It's all down to instinct and my casting instincts and experience would look past him. And for a part like Bond I don't think the thinking process would start with headshots alone but discoveries and buzz on actors, trips to the theatre, a whole library of films the public would not even be aware of and millions of Eon lunches. Henry Cavill was on a lot of lists for a LOT of roles. The casting departments of the world are very aware of him. I have come across his headshot more than once (so to speak). Lets see how SUPERMAN VI pans out. And more importantly let's just get on with Daniel Craig instead of looking over his shoulder.

Fair enough.

I guess we agree to disagree. I loved Moore as the Saint and I think he would have been the 2nd best Bond (Next to the incomparable Connery) had he played the character with edge and some seriousness. His clownish portrayal of 007 and the direction that his Bond flicks went during his time makes him THE WORST screen Bond in my book. I also strongly disagree with the suitability of Tom Hardy as a candidate. I still have to use a great deal of personal imagination to accept Craig as James Bond, albeit he is a very good actor. I don't want to repeat the process with another short and kind of ugly actor more suited to play a Bond villain playing 007.

Cavill, I wouldn't have minded until his casting as Superman. I think Fassberger is right now the best of the "known" actors for the role, but even he is not very close to perfect choice. The guys I have thrown in are from the "unknown" group whom I have seen in short viewings and have sparked a Bond possibility in my mind by their looks, accents, and screen presence.

But as I said, we will agree to disagree on our choices.

Edited by Frankie, 19 February 2011 - 07:36 PM.