This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3841 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

Joshua Sasse...Connery vibe.

#3842 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Looks the part, but acting-wise all i can find is very lightweight, so does he have the chops?  Be a shame to step backwards in that department after all Craig has brought to the roll.

#3843 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

And if the news about Purvis & Wade is accurate, then yes, EON is forging ahead. So much for my deep insight into their process! :S

#3844 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

I think "The Guest" was Dan Stevens "Layer Cake", he is on the BB radar.

Edited by MISALA1994, 11 March 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#3845 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

I think "The Guest" was Dan Stevens "Layer Cake", he is on the BB radar.

It put him top of the list imo

#3846 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Aidan Turner was in spotlight a year ago, i think there was something true in behind those rumours/news...

#3847 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

I think Turner and Hiddleston were probably being courted in the same way Brolin was in the early 80s

#3848 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Impossible to say for sure without factual evidence of one kind or another. Phenomenae like the Hiddleston craze last year may have been everything from a publicity stunt of a bookie or a betting player to a serious survey of the possibilities for a future role. We just cannot tell; all we ever know is that the lack of a definite commitment of Craig to 007 back then opened up the speculation box. 

As for courted, I suppose they do this stuff all the time, taking a good close look at talents for further use. We just seldom take notice as long as there is an established actor in the role. Furthermore, I suppose nine out of ten of these investigations end up in a dusty folder in a bottom drawer, for any number of reasons never leading to anything concrete.  

#3849 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

True.  And despite KONG: SKULL ISLAND proves to be a success Hiddleston seems to be off BB´s radar.  Jack Huston, as mentioned by Baz, is probably the most likable replacement alternative... at least currently, if Craig says no.

#3850 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:12 AM

I thought Hiddleston went out with Taylor Swift to get his American profile up to appease Eon, but they were actually turned off by that sort of publicity.

I've read so much about it, I can't remember where I read that.

#3851 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

True. And despite KONG: SKULL ISLAND proves to be a success Hiddleston seems to be off BB´s radar. Jack Huston, as mentioned by Baz, is probably the most likable replacement alternative... at least currently, if Craig says no.

Agreed but "Ben-Hur" flop hurts his chances...

#3852 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

I saw "Kong: Skull Island" last night and have to admit that Hiddleston did better than I expected in the straight-up traditional action hero role.  Not a lot of room for nuance, but he looked really good running around and pointing a gun.  He was also a bit more beefed up than I've seen him before.  The movie was a fun roller coaster ride, too.  Great escapist fare.

#3853 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hiddleston is "Clive Owen" this time, nothing else.

Edited by MISALA1994, 16 March 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#3854 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Throwback, BB wanted to test Martin Shaw for the in the late 70s but he turned it down, thoughts?

#3855 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

As far as anyone can tell Shaw wasn't even happy with the Doyle role, I doubt he was a realistic alternative. At least twenty years too early for this casting, even if the scripts had supported a different approach to 007.

No, don't think that was serious.

#3856 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

He would have been the first 007 with a perm.

#3857 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

This rests so much upon Barbara Broccoli's likes and dislikes.  When she found Daniel Craig attractive for the part, I was good with it.  Now Jack Huston is supposed to be her actor-of-interest, and I, for one -- not that I own the rights, of course -- find it exceedingly unlikable.  The actor need not like just like Fleming's description, and the following may sound superficial and disregard the actor's ability, but here goes....He...has...a...round...face....

That's it for me right there.  Dunzo.  No, thank you.

He looks to me more appropriate for the part of sniveling, smiling, two-faced bureaucrat that appears in some of the stories.  Ugh.

I know it's a strange thing to cast such aspersions on the man.  He's making a living, and following his talent and artistic abilities and striving, and he did well playing a character whose face was half-gone, after all, and quite well (in HBO's Boardwalk Empire).  But we're talking about having a look and appearance that either is, or is not suitable for a part.  That is part and parcel of many, many casting decisions in all sorts of productions.

#3858 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

This rests so much upon Barbara Broccoli's likes and dislikes.  When she found Daniel Craig attractive for the part, I was good with it.  Now Jack Huston is supposed to be her actor-of-interest, and I, for one -- not that I own the rights, of course -- find it exceedingly unlikable.  The actor need not like just like Fleming's description, and the following may sound superficial and disregard the actor's ability, but here goes....He...has...a...round...face....

That's it for me right there.  Dunzo.  No, thank you.

He looks to me more appropriate for the part of sniveling, smiling, two-faced bureaucrat that appears in some of the stories.  Ugh.

I know it's a strange thing to cast such aspersions on the man.  He's making a living, and following his talent and artistic abilities and striving, and he did well playing a character whose face was half-gone, after all, and quite well (in HBO's Boardwalk Empire).  But we're talking about having a look and appearance that either is, or is not suitable for a part.  That is part and parcel of many, many casting decisions in all sorts of productions.

So you're saying you prefer Idris Elba for the part...

;)

#3859 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

This rests so much upon Barbara Broccoli's likes and dislikes. When she found Daniel Craig attractive for the part, I was good with it. Now Jack Huston is supposed to be her actor-of-interest, and I, for one -- not that I own the rights, of course -- find it exceedingly unlikable. The actor need not like just like Fleming's description, and the following may sound superficial and disregard the actor's ability, but here goes....He...has...a...round...face....
That's it for me right there. Dunzo. No, thank you.
He looks to me more appropriate for the part of sniveling, smiling, two-faced bureaucrat that appears in some of the stories. Ugh.
I know it's a strange thing to cast such aspersions on the man. He's making a living, and following his talent and artistic abilities and striving, and he did well playing a character whose face was half-gone, after all, and quite well (in HBO's Boardwalk Empire). But we're talking about having a look and appearance that either is, or is not suitable for a part. That is part and parcel of many, many casting decisions in all sorts of productions.

BB just doesnt found Daniel, she loves him.

Edited by MISALA1994, 17 March 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#3860 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Brenton Thwaites...good opposite to Craig.

Edited by MISALA1994, 18 March 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#3861 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Frankly, I see neither Brolin nor Neill* as very convincing in their screen tests. I suppose back then Eon's main concern was to find a guy fitting the mould marked 'James Bond 007' ™ ©, not somebody to really make the role his own.

In this case MGM may actually have been on to something when they suggested Mel Gibson. I won't go into the various reasons why Gibson wouldn't have been what the producers sought back then. But it's hard to deny Gibson wouldn't have been content just with fitting the mould. Much like Dalton and later Craig would.

Well said and I agree absolutely. While I love Sam Neill I never thought he could be Bond. He is definitely a terrific character actor but not of the hero mould. Brolin looks like a hero - but I never saw him in anything that could justify his Bond-ness. Gibson, however, would have been an interesting choice if he had not ruled out appearing in more than one movie.
Agreed, he was too "boring" for 007...

#3862 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

I would pay to see Cavill's screentest, he was so young even for a "rookie Bond" and he made it final two.

#3863 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

I wonder whether Cavill really is out of the question because of him being Superman.  It did not keep him from being cast in the next upcoming MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

And since Campbell favoured him 11 years ago, Cavill now would be the right age.

If JUSTICE LEAGUE underperforms at the box office this fall I could imagine WB rethinking their approach to SUPERMAN and BATMAN, making room for new actors.  Ben Affleck, rumor has it, already was considering leaving the role of Batman.  And the postponement of AQUAMAN also is not a sign of confidence, especially not the silly and definitey only tentative opening date in December 2018 when the next STAR WARS movie will clean up.

#3864 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I still haven't seen the UNCLE vehicle. And from what I've seen of him as Superman he did not actually seem challenged by the scripts. Cavill might be an interesting alternative, established yet not so successful he'd be out of range paycheque wise. Audiences are already familiar with him, action is not a hindrance for his physique, talent is obviously not a problem, and Superman hasn't become his trademark role...so why not? I suspect MI could at the moment be more of an issue than Superman. But then they didn't oppose Craig doing MUNICH, which was tackling the theme from a different direction.

Cavill might perhaps be a bit too conventionally handsome for Eon's recent tastes. But then again maybe not. Much would depend on what material he is given and how the general direction of the series is going to turn out once Craig leaves.

#3865 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

It´s not clear yet what kind of role Cavill actually will get in the new MI-movie.  I understand Renner is still part of the team, so is Rebecca Ferguson.  And I somehow doubt that the vertically challenged Cruise will allow the very tall Cavill to be part of his team - wouldn´t look good on group pics and create height problems in shots.  

I suspect Cavill will be a bad guy, someone who Cruise can fight and naturally overpower despite his smaller physique.  If so, Cavill will add to his badass quotient (not there yet) and be available since MI will not require his services for future films.

#3866 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

The villain in MI would be great for Cavill's CV and allow him to stretch his acting chops in so far as not being the hero for once.

Alternatively, if he's being lined up to succeed Cruise, then obviously he's given up on Bond and Bond would've truly given up on him.. There's no way he could lead MI and  Bond.

Having said all that. I think his Bond boat has already sailed after what Craig has done with the role - way too much expectation for Bond 7 to be gritty, with serious acting chops, rather than a pretty boy.

No offence to Cavill, he's a good enough actor, but i think the perception would be that Eon have stepped backwards to the Brossa Bond and i'd bet that BB will want casting that says they're evolving this current, critically adored incarnation, rather than devolving it.

So MI would be a great consolation for Cavil and he'd be perfect to succeed Cruise.

#3867 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Renner had said he isn't sure about MI:VI, not through lack of interest on anyone's part, but there was a chance that his Avengers commitments might preclude him from appearing as there was a slight overlap in their pencilled filming dates - though that interview was pre the budget argument so that delay might now be a moot point.

#3868 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

The villain in MI would be great for Cavill's CV and allow him to stretch his acting chops in so far as not being the hero for once.

Alternatively, if he's being lined up to succeed Cruise, then obviously he's given up on Bond and Bond would've truly given up on him.. There's no way he could lead MI and  Bond.

Having said all that. I think his Bond boat has already sailed after what Craig has done with the role - way too much expectation for Bond 7 to be gritty, with serious acting chops, rather than a pretty boy.

No offence to Cavill, he's a good enough actor, but i think the perception would be that Eon have stepped backwards to the Brossa Bond and i'd bet that BB will want casting that says they're evolving this current, critically adored incarnation, rather than devolving it.

So MI would be a great consolation for Cavil and he'd be perfect to succeed Cruise.

I actually think it makes no sense going for another gritty or even grittier actor´s actor after Craig.  Even that guy would be compared to Craig, and where can you really go with Bond if you pursue that direction further?

While Cavill is probably not a likely choice I do believe that Bond 7 will intentionally chosen from a more conventional, light-hearted group of actors.

#3869 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Alternatively, if he's being lined up to succeed Cruise, then obviously he's given up on Bond and Bond would've truly given up on him.. There's no way he could lead MI and Bond.

I actually think it makes no sense going for another gritty or even grittier actor´s actor after Craig. Even that guy would be compared to Craig, and where can you really go with Bond if you pursue that direction further?

While Cavill is probably not a likely choice I do believe that Bond 7 will intentionally chosen from a more conventional, light-hearted group of actors.
+1

#3870 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Source, please?

brosnan-bond.jpg?resize=620%2C468

;)
Old days...