This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3781 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

It's mentioned in one of the articles about the opening of a new Omega flag ship store, but it's buried amongst loads of other stuff. Mi 6hq.com has the relevant bit cut out if you're keen.

Just saw the story. The Omega president's response came when he was asked if Craig will wear the Seamaster again on screen.

"I'll meet with him in two or three weeks, but I’m not the one to decide. Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson have this incredible spirit about what they want."

#3782 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

I saw this story too - it's an unfortunate leak for Eon, since they obviously want to keep us guessing (all those 'Whose the next Bond stories are great press in the between movie lull). But if true - don't see why the guy would lie - it's almost a confirmation (imo) that Craig is doing 25.

#3783 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:40 AM

Products first, script later; the usual.

#3784 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

Craig probably just wants some more free watches.

#3785 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

It's not so much "products first" as, "money first"

#3786 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

The point is he's a busy actor. Why would he bother with this if he wasn't intending to do the movie (unless he really does just want the free watch ;) )

But seriously he's not short of cash so I see this as the best clue yet that he's decided to do 25.

#3787 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Have there been events for the 'Ambassadors' of this watch-thingy without the need to promote a film? I think I remember a couple of ads with Brosnan and Craig just showing off a watch as themselves, no dinner jacket, no guns, no 007 written all over it. But my memory may let me down there, could be entirely wrong. Maybe the helicopter is intended for blowing up the watch. Or vice versa, whatever has more oomph...

#3788 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

I believe I remember those "hey, I am/was Bond and can still sell tons of watches just by appearing anywhere"-events with other actors, too.

Probably this is even less of a hint at BOND 25 than the helicopter that couldn´t fly...

#3789 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

But seriously he's not short of cash so I see this as the best clue yet that he's decided to do 25.

Last year Callum McDougall said Craig was the first choice for Bond 25. Craig said playing Bond was the best job in the world and he would miss it terribly. Barbara Broccoli is producing Othello. I think there's a very good chance Craig comes back.

#3790 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

EON certainly would want him to.  It all depends on whether he wants to commit to another tough shoot and the probably even tougher PR circus.

#3791 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Yes, that reminds me of this QoS-era advert that technically has nothing to do with the latest Bond film. So maybe the helicopter is part of an Omega ad riffing on his persona.

#3792 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

That sounds right, SecretAgentFan. At whatever point B25 becomes a go project, Craig will decide whether he has the energy and will to go through it again. If he doesn't, it clearly won't be out of any distaste for the part, whatever the tabloids may say.

#3793 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

I stand corrected - it seems there's plenty of president for the actors to promote stuff between movies, so it's probably an ad.

And maybe, if he's turning down  the wads of cash Eon want to throw his way for 25 then he really need this ad to pay the bills ;)

#3794 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

Tom Hiddleston - on Graham Norton Show - mentioned Thunderball and even named-checked Largo, almost as though he wanted to show people he was a Bond fan. Hmm...

Edited by DavidJones, 17 February 2017 - 11:08 PM.

#3795 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hiddleston is yesterday´s news.  There probably was a short window of time in which he was tested and considered.  But that was last year.  Before his Taylor Swift affair.  And before DC said publicly that Bond is the greatest job in the world.

So, closer than Clive Owen, but not even as close as Brosnan before "The Living Daylights".

#3796 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

...not even as close as Brosnan before "The Living Daylights".

It's harder to get any closer than that without actually doing the movie. Perhaps Brolin!

#3797 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

It's harder to get any closer than that without actually doing the movie. Perhaps Brolin!

Brolin got the closest as he was actually cast. There were a couple of days in 1982 when he was the Bond of record.

#3798 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Wasn't Brosnan cast, just not yet announced when the Remington Steele gits extended his contract?

#3799 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

Wasn't Brosnan cast, just not yet announced when the Remington Steele gits extended his contract?

Yes, he apparently did promotion shots etc, though these have never been released.

#3800 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

So, maybe Hiddleston was just like Clive Owen - only the rumour he did a screentest was more credible.

#3801 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Brolin got the closest as he was actually cast. There were a couple of days in 1982 when he was the Bond of record.

Source, please?

John Gavin did signed the contract in 1970/1.

#3802 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

Source, please?

brosnan-bond.jpg?resize=620%2C468

;)

#3803 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Those were the days...  :blush:

#3804 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Source, please?

John Gavin did signed the contract in 1970/1.

Got mixed up :) Gavin was the guy, you're right. Read it in Simon McKay's excellent book The Man with the Golden Touch. Apparently, however, Brolin did buy a house in London in anticipation of winning the role.

Clive Owen may have come close too, but he and Eon deny that.

Edited by DavidJones, 19 February 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#3805 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

According to the DVD doco Brolin had won the role, but a last minute call from Moore, relented to Cubby's offer saw Brolin dumped, sadly.

His screen test is pretty dull and cheesy - his performance that of the milktray man. But that was the early 80s trappings. Looking at his other movies he had the potential and may well have become a great Bond.

#3806 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

Frankly, I see neither Brolin nor Neill* as very convincing in their screen tests. I suppose back then Eon's main concern was to find a guy fitting the mould marked 'James Bond 007' ™ ©, not somebody to really make the role his own.

In this case MGM may actually have been on to something when they suggested Mel Gibson. I won't go into the various reasons why Gibson wouldn't have been what the producers sought back then. But it's hard to deny Gibson wouldn't have been content just with fitting the mould. Much like Dalton and later Craig would.

*Funny how memory works: in an interview a couple of years back Neill remembered being asked to take off his shirt for the screen test. He argued he was a skinny guy and not used to working shirtless and nervous as hell since he only just arrived in London and had so little experience. Well, in REILLY, ACE OF SPIES he had a couple of shirtless scenes and seemed comfortable enough. On top of a scene that was a nod to just that FRWL scene between Bond and Tanja.

#3807 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

According to the DVD doco Brolin had won the role, but a last minute call from Moore, relented to Cubby's offer ...

Do you reckon the Brolin offer was just to make Moore sweat? Or was it a genuine?

Edited by DavidJones, 20 February 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#3808 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

Brolin certainly took it as a serious offer. Back then Moore and Broccoli had a dancing routine, the one being coy, the other looking at candidates. They were both fond of playing games and both aware of it.

I think Broccoli knew he had a strong and reliable actor, one who didn't much go for diva business. After his experiences with McClory, Connery and Lazenby Broccoli would always prefer the proven and reliable.

#3809 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:35 AM

Frankly, I see neither Brolin nor Neill* as very convincing in their screen tests. I suppose back then Eon's main concern was to find a guy fitting the mould marked 'James Bond 007' ™ ©, not somebody to really make the role his own.

In this case MGM may actually have been on to something when they suggested Mel Gibson. I won't go into the various reasons why Gibson wouldn't have been what the producers sought back then. But it's hard to deny Gibson wouldn't have been content just with fitting the mould. Much like Dalton and later Craig would.

Well said and I agree absolutely.   While I love Sam Neill I never thought he could be Bond.  He is definitely a terrific character actor but not of the hero mould.  Brolin looks like a hero - but I never saw him in anything that could justify his Bond-ness.  Gibson, however, would have been an interesting choice if he had not ruled out appearing in more than one movie.

#3810 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:04 AM

THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY made a good case for what a serious approach to Bond with Gibson could have looked like. But in effect the Bond niche had problems to keep its own thriller core in balance. It's not a given something more down to earth would have been welcomed, regardless who played it. The market was not yet ready for this, it would seem. And Broccoli had a fine understanding of this.