This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3751 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'd love it if Brosnan returned, but it would never happen in a million years because Eon believe they have moved on from 90s action cinema. Rightly or wrongly. t0hey believe they are prestigious and best-of-British now, with Oscar-winning directors and writers. it would also confuse the hell out of the casual audience.

Edited by DavidJones, 02 February 2017 - 05:11 PM.

#3752 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Call me crazy, but I'd even be supportive of bringing back Brosnan's supporting cast if Brosnan were to return-- Judi Dench, Colin Salmon, Michael Kitchen, and Samantha Bond. 

Set it in the Brosnan timeline / continuity, and we've got ourselves an intriguing film right there. 

oh boy, yes please!

#3753 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

I hope that last spring Jamie Bell rumour is not true...

#3754 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

The fact it was last spring would say "Yah!"

Craig has said since then (October) he's game for a fifth go. It's basically all dependent on MGM getting a financial backer - if its soon, Craig is back, if it takes a while, it wont be ANY of the names mentioned. 

#3755 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Do you think Sam Worthington still has much chance at the role?

Him and Fassbender were favourites a few years ago.

#3756 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Worthington is too old now, how he was in top 3 2005?

Edited by MISALA1994, 07 February 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#3757 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

And Worthington's box office clout has suffered significantly since then.  He hasn't been able to open a non-James Cameron movie in a decade to decent numbers.

#3758 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

I tend to think that if you can name an actor you think will be Bond, it won't be him. As they usually make a left-field choice. It's why I think it won't be Elba, Hardy, Hiddleston etc.

Anyone with me on that?

#3759 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

I tend to think that if you can name an actor you think will be Bond, it won't be him. As they usually make a left-field choice. It's why I think it won't be Elba, Hardy, Hiddleston etc.

Anyone with me on that?

I agree with you in general terms.  It has been the case essentially for decades.  However, if there was ever going to be a name actor take on the role, I believe it might be on the heels of Craig.  Once we have directors of Mendes' caliber making the films, nothing is unheard of.  That said, I hope it is a relative unknown.

#3760 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Well, i think they want the actor to be assoicated with James Bind and nothing else, so I don't see them going bigger than Craig was pre-Bond, lead roles in British theatre, tv and independant movies but small supporting roles in big American films (I think Munich, Tomb Raider and Road To Perdition were Craig's biggest films pre-Bond. Munich, if memory serves, was filmed JUST before he was cast as Bond). Of the names mentioned, none of whom will be Bond 7if the past is any indicator, Aidan Turner is the one that fits that bill, the other names, I'd argue, are just too big for them to be James Bond rather than someone as James Bond, if you get what I mean.

#3761 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Is Sam Riley in with a chance? Or Alexander Vlahos?

#3762 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

I like Sam Riley, not sure how he would stack up as Bond, though this drama he's done for P&W may be some indicator, so I'll give a firmer opinion once I've seen it.

#3763 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

Riley is a good actor, but isn't right for Bond IMO. However, he'd make a decent Harry Palmer.

I recently saw a trailer for his new, P&W written BBC drama SS-GB. Another 'Nazis won the war/occupy Britain' concept. It looked pretty good until 2/3s in an incredibly annoying, cheeso-rama pop song chimed in with much enfaces on the very 'on the nose' lyrics, which put me off the whole thing TBH.

#3764 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

BBC make the ads, so i'll let that go (Sherlocks first advert, set to Uprising by Muse was woeful - Hartswood films started making their own ads after that) 

It is a shame that this kept getting delayed. If it had beaten Man in the high castle, it could've been judged on its own merits, but now it'll be just compared to Amazon's series, despite actually going into production before.

#3765 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Riley is a good actor, but isn't right for Bond IMO. However, he'd make a decent Harry Palmer.

I recently saw a trailer for his new, P&W written BBC drama SS-GB. Another 'Nazis won the war/occupy Britain' concept. It looked pretty good until 2/3s in an incredibly annoying, cheeso-rama pop song chimed in with much enfaces on the very 'on the nose' lyrics, which put me off the whole thing TBH.

Why not right for Bond?

#3766 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Why not right for Bond?

Fair and straight question to which i don't have a straight answer. My first thought is that there's something a little too dark, shadowy and frankly villainess about his screen presence. I'm sure he's a lovely chap and will prove me wrong by embodying a Bond-like lead character capable of plausible heroism in SS-GB.

The reason i prefer him for Harry Palmer is that character's post war, food rationed setting. Riley never looks 100% - always a little pale and gaunt and not in a fit way; more the heroine fiend visage. But that's kind of the niche he's gone for (or finds himself in) and he does it marvellously - as i said he's a good actor. And this post war malnourished aesthetic that he's nailed is obviously why he's been cast in the post war SS-GB show.

#3767 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

How about one of these guys? Both on the Halcyon Hotel tv series, set in the blitz in London. Jamie Blackley or Matt Ryan. Ryan´s the right age for it. Blackley needs a decade to age into the role, although that really would depend on what they´d want to do for the next era.

https://metrouk2.fil...20&h=412&crop=1

http://digitalspyuk....pisode1-105.JPG

#3768 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

I suggested Matt Ryan about 8 pages ago just for the sake of changing conversation. He is a VERY good actor, though, going by his other works and the fact he has a very similar professional background, he'd be similar in his approach to Bond as Dalton. I loved Dalton, but given Craig also was more Daltonesque would people just see John Constantine (I do love him in that role) as a poor man's Craig. Blakely on the otherhand would be a change in direction, and as you said, would be young enough to age into the role in a way we could get a few films with him, even if MGM continue to create large gaps every other film.

#3769 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

Blakely on the otherhand would be a change in direction, and as you said, would be young enough to age into the role in a way we could get a few films with him, even if MGM continue to create large gaps every other film.

My thoughts exactly, Orion. 

#3770 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

Judging by pictures Jamie Blackley could definitely be a suitable candidate, with quite a bit more aging though. He'd have to bulk up just a little too. Another candidate I'll throw out that's probably too young and skinny right now is Tom Hughes. He plays Prince Albert on the show Victoria.

Tom-Hughes-as-Prince-Albert-669607.jpg

3806DCA500000578-3784953-image-m-23_1473

#3771 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Nice idea, KB, these young fellas are stealing some tv shows with their acting skills. No more is the tv sector one for poor actors. This TV golden age of 60m formats is creating a lot of talent. I say use it EON. 

#3772 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

No more is the tv sector one for poor actors...

You've definitely got more of a chance if you went to public school ;)

#3773 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Steven Colbert had David Oyelowo as a guest on The Late Show this week and asked him who the next James Bond would be.  After sharing a dressing room with Daniel Craig for months, Oyelowo responded he wouldn't be so sure Craig is done with the part despite Colbert believing Craig's departure was a done deal.

I doubt they will even acknowledge a possible reboot. The next actor will very likely just enter M's office and that's that. Maybe they will even recast a female M again and use the horrible Vauxhall Cross building for establishing shots; it would then look like an ordinary sequel to the Brosnan run, just with a little longer break since DAD.

Hey, Brosnan could be brought back for one more farewell, DAF-like film instantly...

Wouldn't this be more like a NSNA style return?

#3774 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:58 PM

Yes, despite what tabloids spin, I think Craig will return. Has anyone else seen that piece from Omega where the chairman mentions he's seeing Daniel Craig in a few weeks to discuss watches, which is innocent enough as Craig is a spokesman for the company - but the he mentions that whatever watch they come up with has to be passed by MGW and BB...slightly odd if it isn't for Bond...

#3775 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

Yes, despite what tabloids spin, I think Craig will return. Has anyone else seen that piece from Omega where the chairman mentions he's seeing Daniel Craig in a few weeks to discuss watches, which is innocent enough as Craig is a spokesman for the company - but the he mentions that whatever watch they come up with has to be passed by MGW and BB...slightly odd if it isn't for Bond...

Interesting. It could be standard Omega ambassador business...but in any case, there's just enough movement to suggest the Bond 25 wheels could be in motion. Which is better than nothing.

#3776 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

I think this whole 'ambassador' business is heavily linked to Bond - but not everything Brosnan or Craig promoted really ends up in a Bond film. Eon giving their okay is probably about keeping control of the 007 image more than anything else. After all they can't control Omega's model strategy and if they, Omega, decided to throw something on the market which absolutely clashes with Bond the powers that be would likely veto it.

#3777 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

I would agree the likelihood of the meeting being about a watch for Bond 25 is low but would EON have to be consulted on it if Daniel Craig wasn't still Bond? It'd be like them saying Brosnan couldn't do Mama Mia because James Bond doesn't sing.

#3778 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Would be interesting to see the details of that Omega contract. I suspect it may actually run only as long as Craig is the acting 007 - and then would have to be negotiated anew once another actor takes over. Which will likely have an effect on the paycheque, too. But this is just assumption on my part, I have no knowledge of the actual details.

#3779 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Yes, despite what tabloids spin, I think Craig will return. Has anyone else seen that piece from Omega where the chairman mentions he's seeing Daniel Craig in a few weeks to discuss watches, which is innocent enough as Craig is a spokesman for the company - but the he mentions that whatever watch they come up with has to be passed by MGW and BB...slightly odd if it isn't for Bond...

Link?

#3780 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

It's mentioned in one of the articles about the opening of a new Omega flag ship store, but it's buried amongst loads of other stuff. Mi 6hq.com has the relevant bit cut out if you're keen.