The Lounge of Solace

293 replies to this topic

#151 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Well, to quote that well known two bit island diplomat, Dr Kananga - after he tore off his identity crisis but before he took up shark gun pellet popping - "What shall we drink to?"

Precious little, I know, after today, but nevertheless, lets keep calm and carry on.

#152 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Well, to quote that well known two bit island diplomat, Dr Kananga - after he tore off his identity crisis but before he took up shark gun pellet popping - "What shall we drink to?"

Precious little, I know, after today, but nevertheless, lets keep calm and carry on.

It's all looking more promising now. Or is that the five Vespers and all my spring cleaning (in the autumn...)?

#153 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, I have been down the cellar for a while. Is everything okay up here? Hope the ashtrays are all clear. Yes, we have avoided the smoking ban here at The Lounge Of Solace.

#154 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Oh dear. Smoking and drinking never ends well for me.

#155 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Sorry, I have been down the cellar for a while. Is everything okay up here? Hope the ashtrays are all clear. Yes, we have avoided the smoking ban here at The Lounge Of Solace.

We have avoided the ban. As the PM's special envoy, and in between my other nefarious duties, not to mention the odd the night at the opera, I managed to negotiate an exemption for the Lounge. This gives us the same smoking rights as any private householder, or any user of the bar-rooms of the Palace of Westminster, another place where, I understand, the ban doesn't apply, oddly enough. Well, if its good enough for MPs and peers, its good enough for us Lounge users! ;)

#156 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Sounds good Haines, but you wouldn't be a love and take Tosca off the jukebox, would you...? Ta...

#157 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Can't believe what I missed here - a Charles Gray tribute act in a lounge that permits smoking. Would have been there but the second round of recruitment seemed to occur when I was on my Cbn sabbatical earlier this year. What are the christmas festivities planned for the Lounge of Solace?

#158 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Sounds good Haines, but you wouldn't be a love and take Tosca off the jukebox, would you...? Ta...

"I'm working on that"

Can't believe what I missed here - a Charles Gray tribute act in a lounge that permits smoking. Would have been there but the second round of recruitment seemed to occur when I was on my Cbn sabbatical earlier this year. What are the christmas festivities planned for the Lounge of Solace?

My yuletide greeting to the world. Recognition of my entitlement to a title and a worldwide pardon for all past crimes and misdemeanors. Either that or..... well you've seen OHMSS so you know the rest! :)

#159 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

My yuletide greeting to the world. Recognition of my entitlement to a title and a worldwide pardon for all past crimes and misdemeanors. Either that or.....

Eggnog on Christmas Eve? ;)

#160 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

My yuletide greeting to the world. Recognition of my entitlement to a title and a worldwide pardon for all past crimes and misdemeanors. Either that or.....

Eggnog on Christmas Eve? ;)

I'll drink to that!

#161 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

I'd like to start the 3 disc special edtion rummor; right here and now.

Question is when will it be released.

November this year? (to tide us over) just before filming begins?

#162 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Not the place to discuss such matters. Not when the bar is so short staffed today due to illness.

#163 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

It's been a long time since April, and much has happened.

Glad to see that the lounge hasn't changed, although I'm looking forward to seeing the Bond 23 fan art come down and the genuine 'Coming 11/9/12' posters go up in its place.

Barman, a '62 Bollinger, if you will, and glasses for my friends. We have a lot to celebrate.

#164 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Barman, another round of Bolly - I just noticed I've been promoted!

Barman?

Oh, I'm sorry, the door was open. (shakes foam from free hand)

#165 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Gosh it's quiet in here. I guess everyone has passed out from all those Vespers.

#166 domnule alb

domnule alb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

As long as there's no audacious memebership fees, I'm on board. Now pass me my martini :cooltongue:

#167 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

No audacious fees, but the club survives on membership & repeat business.

With that in mind, I thought I'd bump this up to keep it from vanishing.

Here's your martini, and please have some of Vladmir Dmitrivich's excellent caviar - but watch out for the sawdust, it's from his final batch.

#168 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

No audacious fees, but the club survives on membership & repeat business.

With that in mind, I thought I'd bump this up to keep it from vanishing.

Here's your martini, and please have some of Vladmir Dmitrivich's excellent caviar - but watch out for the sawdust, it's from his final batch.

Splendid idea, AMC Hornet!

I suppose it's appropriate to repeat here the address of the founder and president of the Lounge of Solace, Mr Zorin Industries:

Things appear to be getting a bit heated round these shores. Instead of heralding and celebrating a new Bond film in a year that has been a Zorin Industries airship-sized circus of everything 007, some of us are piling trolling upon vitriol and sort of demeaning the reason we are all Bond fans in the first place - i.e. it is only a fluffy bunny of Martini-soaked fun.

So Zorin Industries (with help from resident hostesses May Day, Jenny Flex and the lovely Pan Ho) have started up a gentleman's club (with ladies permitted at request). It's somewhere for us to kick off our Rosa Klebb heels and indulge in a lightly shaken Babycham or three. We promise not to show anyone the stairs (unless it's to show-off our stair / slide mechanism....who wouldn't brag about owning that?!) but opinions should be curtailed at all times. Whether you liked all of this year's Bondian entertainment or whether you didn't, please come in from the rain of abuse and upset and dry your weary forum-typing fingers.

This is not a members club for ranting that you are wrong or trolling that you are right. Any opinion on this new Quantums Of The Solace is right - just don't bring them up here. It is for likeminded men (and women - if they must) to be satisfied we at least have a new Bond film and just bask in the glow that sees a 007 movie on our bus stops, cinema foyers and Coca Cola Ads. It doesn't happen often and we should embrace the centre of our affections, not demean it and bemoan it because it wasn't like the cinematic flings we loved from our youth.

To quote the great Mikey from THE GOONIES, "this is our time". So let's not waste or fritter away our online community by constant concerns over twelve second gunbarrels or the editing decisions of a professional. We are going to leave our questions and gripes at the cloakroom.

Canapes and light bites will be distributed in time and a mock Venetian string quartet promise to play Bolivian music all night.

So - if you need a haven from all the upset and groaning, then just add your name to the members list (posts) below. Someone will take your mackintosh shortly...

Welcome to THE LOUNGE OF SOLACE...

And I'll have another of these whatsitsname-thingies with the funny umbrella.

Edited by Dustin, 29 February 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#169 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

And I'll have another of these whatsitsname-thingies with the funny umbrella.

Devised by Q, no doubt.

#170 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

This looks like the type of club I would enjoy joining. I certainly hope Mr Zorin is still accepting applications. In lieu of an application fee I can bring a nice bottle of McClelland's Islay Scotch. Everyone is welcome to try it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

#171 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Mr Zorin is a very busy man I'm given to understand. Doubt there will be a lot of the McClellan's left by the time he sees fit to attend to his social duties. But that shouldn't keep us from enjoying such excellent spirit. Let's raise the glasses in his honour.

#172 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Cheers! And I hope he opens another lounge for SKYFALL in a few moths.

Heck, why not now?

#173 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Sorry, I was out back chatting to the wine merchant. Most agreeable young man. I get a lot of our House Black Tower from him, amongst other things. Though he did try and talk me into buying a job lot of bar snacks. Not sure The Lounge Of Solace is such a place for pictures of bare breasted ladies covered up by packets of Roasted Peanuts. So I ordered some anyway.

As noted, I am indeed very busy marking this new Bond moving picture currently known as, I believe, SKIFFLE. We will be marking its release straight to Beta with a Lonnie Donnegan cover band in the Autumn. It will be tickets only and, as per, members only. But I am glad the members are still out in force and as Captain Lassard would say, "there are members as far as the eye can see".

Now I must pop back to the wine boy and see if he needs his pink invoice stamped.

#174 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Not sure The Lounge Of Solace is such a place for pictures of bare breasted ladies covered up by packets of Roasted Peanuts. So I ordered some anyway.

Quite right, Mr.Z, this is no place for such a sight, so I'll take six packets now.

No, no - from the next row down...

What? That's the point? Very well, I'll wait for someone else to get the ball rolling.

A fella has to have a hobby.

#175 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

Very glad to see this club is still hopping. Just arrived a little late from my cab ride from the Trafalgar Square neighborhood. Was in the area to take some pics of the MI6 HQ as I hear it is about to be blown up for the next 007 film. Damned cabbie wouldn't take a credit card. Seriously, in a city the size of London and the taxis don't take credit?

Better serve me up a gin & tonic to take the edge off!

#176 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Gosh it looks splendid in here!
Would you accept a new member, by any chance? I'd be delighted to join your jolly company.
If you'll just give me 5 minutes to park my newly acquired Triumph outside, I'll join you for a Bollinger RD. I brought some Montecristo's with me; I'd be glad to oblige.

#177 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Welcome, dear chap, help yourself to a seat. Cheers!

#178 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Barman, a round of Drambui to imbibe with these Monte Cristos.

No, not for me, thanks - I had my fill nine years ago when I won a humidor full of #12s.

But if you can't corrupt your friends with expensive habits, what's the world coming to?

#179 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Thank you very much indeed for your warm welcome.
What shall we drink to?

#180 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

"How about an earthquake?"