540 replies to this topic

#151 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

All the horrid puns Timothy Dalton was forced to spout in his two Bond films. :D

#152 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

Roger Moore's sunglasses in A View to a Kill.

Why did they have to ruin the looks of a perfectly good pair of Persols with that magnifying lens stuff?

#153 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Roger Moore's sunglasses in A View to a Kill.

Why did they have to ruin the looks of a perfectly good pair of Persols with that magnifying lens stuff?

I second that, and raise you Aubergine. :D

#154 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

Another of my irritations would be anything Jinx says in DAD. I hated her and would've gladly let her drown in the ice palace.

A friend once commented that Jinx seemed more appopriate for a Matt Helm movie rather than a James Bond movie. I immediately thought of the, "I think I get the...THRUST of it!" line Jinx delivered during the Ice Palace party sequence. It reminded me of one exchange in The Ambushers.

(LINDA has demonstrated a bra gun for MATT)

LINDA: May I point out...

MATT: You already did!

#155 Keir

Keir

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

I always thought it was cool that Tiffany Case in DAF was impressed that Bond was killed, and as a kid was miffed no-one else knew about him or appreciated his greatness. Now I realise that the whole pointof being a 00 is not to be noticed.
Certainly that Tarzan call was the worst point for me in Octopussy. Rather makes me think the "Fu Yuk" wine in MWTGG was a veritable laugh-riot.

#156 double-O-Durg

double-O-Durg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

In CR, when Bond is on the beach with Vesper and says "i think that's why i love you" PASS ME THE CHEESE!!!

#157 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:16 AM

Any of David Arnold's melancholic romantic melodies.

Actually, his romantic melodies are what he's great at. I think you meant the following:

Any of David Arnold's melancholic neverending romantic action cues.

Edited by A Kristatos, 28 December 2007 - 04:31 AM.

#158 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

Octopussy-Tarzan yell. Why would Bond yell like Tarzan? Is he having fun or something?

He wouldnt, am I the only one who assumes that tarzan yell was just John Barry chucking in a sound effect like the silly TMWTGG whistle.

Thank you Mathis! I think I'm the only other one who assumes this as well. Bond did not literally make that Tarzan yell. I believe it was just Barry trying to have a little fun by inserting that into the score, though like the Beach Boys song in the AVTAK PTS, this was one of his very few missteps during his entire Bond career.

#159 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:31 AM

DN - Miss Taro's awful attempts of not blowing her cover. Also, Bond attempting to "sing" to Honey Rider!

FRWL - Klebb waiting too long to shoot Bond, thereby allowing Tatiana to come in and shoot her.

GF - Goldfinger explaining his plot to the thugs before gasing them!

TB - The sped up ending.

YOLT - Connery unable to get more than one word of dialogue out at a time throughout half of the movie!

OHMSS - Ruby Bartlett's "Oh Hilly!" Come to think of it, Ruby Bartlett in general!

DAF - Blofeld in drag (Enough said!). Whyte misspronouncing Baja: "Ba-ah-ha?! I don't have anything in Ba-ah-ha!"

LALD - The unnecessarily slow "dipping mechanism".

TMWTGG - As someone already mentioned, Bond grabbing the sumo wrestler's rear end.
Gross! :D

TSWLM - Anya and Carter's whole exchange regarding females in the military.

MR - Bond and Goodhead's dialogue regarding women professionals. Drax's increasingly ridiculous attempts at killing Bond.

FYEO - The "delicatessen in stainless steel" line. Bad disco music during the ski chase. The utter lack of security around the ski jump hill with all of Kristatos's henchmen running around in open view!

OP - Bond hanging off of two moving vehicles and not falling off!

AVTAK - "And I'm Dick Tracy, and you're still under arrest!"

TLD - Whitaker hiding amongst the wax figures of famous military commanders.

LTK - Milton Krest's death in the air chamber (probably the most disturbing scene in the entire Bond series). Also any scene with Truman Lodge (kind of funny at first, but an appropriate death at the hands of Sanchez as even he got tired of him!).

GE - Alec's increasingly ridiculous attempts at killing Bond (just shoot him already)!

TND - Elliot Carver just standing around gloating when HE should be killing Bond!

TWINE - Electra offering her "gift" to M after Bond and Christmas were "killed". Just seemed awkward to me.

DAD - The infamous CGI parasailing sequence (yes this could be a large irritant, but since it only lasted about 30 seconds, I'll call it a small one).

CR - A couple of bad action cues by David Arnold in an otherwise great score by him.

Edited by A Kristatos, 28 December 2007 - 04:21 PM.

#160 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:42 AM

DN - Miss Taro's awful attempts of not blowing her cover. Also, Bond attempting to "sing" to Honey Rider!

Funny thing about that; Sean Connery had appeared in a musical just a few years before! :D

#161 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:51 AM

Funny thing about that; Sean Connery had appeared in a musical just a few years before! :D

Oddly enough, I sortof (just SORT OF) liked Darby O'Gill. Oh well.

#162 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

For Your Eyes Only - That Spanish music riff that plays after Melina's parents get shot down and we get a close-up of her eyes. Just doesn't sound right somehow

Oh thats one of my favourite bits. Good bit of acting from Carole Bouquet. You can see the shock, grief, pain in her eyes in an instant.

#163 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

As mentioned the dubbing of Laz with George Baker's voice in OHMSS. Talk about giving ammunition to those who feel Laz's entire performance was mediocre.

Tanya Roberts hysterical 'JAMEEEEEESSSSSSSSS'! SCREAMING IN AVTAK. Supremely irritating.

Not minor but the dialogue in all Brosnan's films including GE. The more I've watched his entries over the years the more irritated I've been by the lack of naturalistic dialogue and the seeming attempt to emulate Bond 60s speak with his films.

The ending of LTK. I like the Dalton era but it painfully underlines that even with a very different lead actor EON weren't prepared to take risks (unlike the Brosnan era when they couldn't afford to). A more sombre, bittersweet ending was called for.

#164 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

1. The second half of DAD.

2. Bond making quiche.

3. Jinx

4. Cai...Cai...Cairo!

5. Felix in LTK being played by an actor who last played him almost 15 years earlier.

Edited by bonds_walther, 10 January 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#165 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

5. Felix in LTK being played by an actor who last played him almost 15 years earlier.

You'd've had him played by John Terry? :tup:

#166 e.s.blofeld

e.s.blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

Most significant minor irritant: The whistle in the barrel roll jum in TMWTGG.

Most significant major irritant: Jonathan Pryce in TND. The clincher here is the pseudo-karate taunting issue. Loses all credibility as a super-evil maniac. Just looks like a dork.

#167 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

GF - Goldfinger explaining his plot to the thugs before gasing them!

I don't see the problem with this one. Later on, Bond says he enjoyed Goldfinger's briefing and Goldfinger replies "So did I" with a big smug grin. Are you denying that Goldfinger really really wanted to do that briefing?

#168 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

Are you denying that Goldfinger really really wanted to do that briefing?

No; merely the fact that it made sense with the plot in mind. :tup:

#169 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:03 AM

There's no point having a great plan, if nobody is going to hear it. He's merely a show-off. Most people tell others their plans, criminal or otherwise. Sometimes the telling is more important than the plan succeeding.

#170 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

There's no point having a great plan, if nobody is going to hear it. He's merely a show-off. Most people tell others their plans, criminal or otherwise. Sometimes the telling is more important than the plan succeeding.

Does this rule apply in real life by any chance? Are you saying that if I'm held up at gunpoint one night at a gas station, the criminal will explain what he plans to do before I get shot? :tup:

#171 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Does this rule apply in real life by any chance? Are you saying that if I'm held up at gunpoint one night at a gas station, the criminal will explain what he plans to do before I get shot? :tup:

Actually, there was a funny cartoon in MAD about that, once: :(

Posted Image

Mods, if this is a violation of any copyright, please make it a link. :)

#172 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

They should've brought back Jack Lord. :tup:

#173 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

While we're at it, why not bring back David Hedison today? I'm sure he could use the work... :(

#174 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

Now that you mention it, there was a case about ten years ago where a gunman jammed a gun in a cashier's stomach and said, "Give me your money or I'll blow your brains out."

Goldfinger's plan was the ambition of a lifetime. He figured that all the hoods were going to die anyway, so it was safe to boast about what they'd almost been a part of.

#175 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Now that you mention it, there was a case about ten years ago where a gunman jammed a gun in a cashier's stomach and said, "Give me your money or I'll blow your brains out."

Must have failed Anatomy at medical school. :tup:

#176 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Talisa Soto's bad acting in LTK.

#177 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

Her acting? Who was concentrating on that!? :tup:

#178 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Her acting? Who was concentrating on that!? :tup:

I was, unfortunately... :tup:

#179 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

The 007 digits wich can be seen in Bond's microcamera in Moonraker.

#180 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

While we're at it, why not bring back David Hedison today? I'm sure he could use the work... :(

I wouldn't mind seeing Hedison back in some capacity.