540 replies to this topic

#91 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Q) What are my Bond film irritations....?

A) Fans who are unable to view Bond films as what they were when they were first released. Gunbarrel logos not being quite "aligned properly"...actors not moving right...characters conveying exposition....? For God's sake, the films supposed irritations only become so when watched over and over.

WELL I'LL TELL YOU WHAT REALLY IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME! THE WAY THE MUSIC IN THE TITLE SEQUENCE OF DR. NO JUST AWKWARDLY SEGUES FROM THE BOND THEME TO "THREE BLIND MICE" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN SEQUENCE!!! THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF SOOOOO MUCH, IT JUST MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL AND MY EARS BLEED! OH, I GET SOOOOO ANGRY JUST THINKING ABOUT IT (excuse me while I go kick my dog and break a few windows)!!! GOD!!! THE AGONY! I MEAN BOND NOT BEING CENTERED IS ONE THING BUT THE WHOLE MUSIC CHANGE OVER JUST PUTS IT OVER THE TOP!!! I HAVE YET TO SEE ALL OF DR. NO BECAUSE EVERY TIME I COME TO THAT PART I RIP THE DISC OUT OF MY PLAYER AND SMASH IT TO PIECES WITH A HAMMER BECAUSE I'M SO DAMN IRRITATED!!!

:D :D

C'mon zorin, Daddy Bond is right, we're just doing this for fun. These little imperfections in the Bond films don't really ruffle our feathers that much (unless we're talking about Die Another Day). :D

Lovely use of the word 'segue' there HH007, this is the second time I have seen this word on this forum. Very intellectual lot here on CBN, I must say.

Well, what can I say? I try. :P

Yeah, but did you notice how I misspelled "crummy" as "crumby"? Now that's class!

#92 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

A) Fans who are unable to view Bond films as what they were when they were first released. Gunbarrel logos not being quite "aligned properly"...actors not moving right...characters conveying exposition....? For God's sake, the films supposed irritations only become so when watched over and over.

WELL I'LL TELL YOU WHAT REALLY IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME! THE WAY THE MUSIC IN THE TITLE SEQUENCE OF DR. NO JUST AWKWARDLY SEGUES FROM THE BOND THEME TO "THREE BLIND MICE" IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN SEQUENCE!!! THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF SOOOOO MUCH, IT JUST MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL AND MY EARS BLEED! OH, I GET SOOOOO ANGRY JUST THINKING ABOUT IT (excuse me while I go kick my dog and break a few windows)!!! GOD!!! THE AGONY! I MEAN BOND NOT BEING CENTERED IS ONE THING BUT THE WHOLE MUSIC CHANGE OVER JUST PUTS IT OVER THE TOP!!! I HAVE YET TO SEE ALL OF DR. NO BECAUSE EVERY TIME I COME TO THAT PART I RIP THE DISC OUT OF MY PLAYER AND SMASH IT TO PIECES WITH A HAMMER BECAUSE I'M SO DAMN IRRITATED!!!

:P :D

C'mon zorin, Daddy Bond is right, we're just doing this for fun. These little imperfections in the Bond films don't really ruffle our feathers that much (unless we're talking about Die Another Day). :D

Lovely use of the word 'segue' there HH007, this is the second time I have seen this word on this forum. Very intellectual lot here on CBN, I must say.

I hope the first time is, and always remains, a special memory for you, Ms. MS. :D

#93 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

OK, now back to the subject at hand... :D

OK, now back to the subject at hand... :P

#94 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

But yes - Brosnan is over-posey in GOLDENEYE. But then the whole film feels like it was written by fans ticking boxes rather than moving the series on in any way respectful of the six year hiatus the series experienced. But then GOLDENEYE is what it was at the time - a piece of mid-90's mainstream cinema. You could level criticism at many cinematic efforts around that time...and indeed now. The difference is that many fans need to step back from their centres of attention - if only so debates about a fifty year old film franchise don't descend into "how maroon should the next gunbarrel be" and "how old were you when John Gardner was first interviewed in '007' magazine?". Whoops...they already have...

Well, actually, I think that most of us posting our minor irritants are not truly bothered by most of these insignificant little tidbits we are mentioning. We are mentioning them mainly for fun - that's all. True, there are a few significant irritants (like the slide whistle during the barrel roll in TMWTGG and the pidgeon double take in MR), but most of these little things are not really that important to us - they're just fun to mention.

Personally, I am a huge fan of classic movies (I have over 350 movies in my collection from the 30's, 40's and 50's) and have seen a couple of thousand classic films). I enjoy them and am able to accept them from the era in which they are made (with all of their technical shortcomings). My favorite TV shows are The Saint and Secret Agent/Danger Man, and Mission Impossible.

With that said, the gunbarrels in the early Bonds are some shoddy piece of work. Believe me, they had the technology to get the guy centered in the film and to improve the gunbarrels and make the hole in the gunbarrel match the film.

So, the word "irritant", although applicable in some casees, is being used very loosely in many instances - they are little things that we notice that kindof, sortof, in a very insignificant way bug us - but might not have any bearing on how much we like a movie. Other more significant irritants (like the pidgeon double take) - do effect opinions on a movie. For example, the crumby gunbarrel in GF doesn't stop me from thinkings it's one of the best Bond movies ever.

Fair enough. We all need a bit more fun in our lives. And to be honest - it got me thinking over my danish pastry - there are things that annoy me with the world we call Bond. I'm going to put my petty hat on (I do have one - despite what some people with lesser senses of humour think...!)

Right....

Like the fact that the sound department only had about three stock FX used over and over for about twenty years. The scream of men falling from aeroplanes in the 1970's/80's Bond efforts was always the same shrilled cry (i.e. MOONRAKERS opening, when NECROS departs THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS Hercules battle and I could go on).

Secondly, and someone may have alluded to this one already on this thread, the sound of straining elevator cables in A VIEW TO A KILL is the same stock clip used when MOONRAKER's space station is breaking apart and I'm sure it appears when ELLIOT CARVER's Stealth boat takes a tumble.

Throughout GOLDENEYE, Brosnan postures like a 1950's knitwear model (granted there is a Bond link there with Roger Moore's pre-Bond CV). Anyone - let alone world renowned spies - do not prance about Monte Carlo opening yacht doors like that, Pierce!

Yes - George Baker's dubbing of Lazenby in OHMSS makes NO sense and actually draws attention to the lead actor's occasionally visible shortcomings as an actor.

And Sean Connery...if you want to get information from a mysterious lady called TILLY MASTERSON, it really isn't wise to shred both her car tyres at 70 mph round the Swiss Alps. She'll only come to a speeded up emergency stop that makes her look silly.

As for THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.... that boat chase. It makes no narrative sense apart from the second unit (who nearly killed the Bond franchise in the Brosnan years) obviously got clearances from the river authorities and thought showboating their skills was more important than failing to de-rail a film that starts brilliantly in Bilboa but then becomes all a bit telly movie. And a Canadian telly movie at that...

And...."I feel the oil pumping through my veins...!". Yes Sophie love. Shame your supposedly renowned acting abilities weren't. It's her that should have been dubbed by George Baker...

See - I can enter the fun...sometimes...

Edited by Zorin Industries, 29 November 2007 - 05:31 PM.

#95 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

This is somewhat of an irritant - but maybe I'm wrong, perhaps someone with more aviation knowledge could enlighten me. In the PTS of FYEO, when Moore is in the helicopter, the pilot is electrocuted and the helicopter starts to "dive", the audio track sounds like an airplane going down and NOT a helicopter. Anyone else noticed this. I doubt a helicopter would make those sounds. Am I wrong or am I right?

#96 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

I'm going to put my petty hat on (I do have one - despite what some people with lesser senses of humour think...!)

<Series of amusing Bond irritants by Industries, Zorin>

See - I can enter the fun...sometimes...

I, just for one, much prefer the latter sense of humor over the former, Zorin.
I know it wasn

#97 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:49 AM

Another thing that irritates me is that the last couple of dots at the end of DaveBond21's signature are white while the rest of it is blue!!!!

:D :P :D

#98 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:45 AM

Why get rid of a good gunbarrel, TSWLM? :D

#99 Badfinger-Boogie

Badfinger-Boogie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

But yes - Brosnan is over-posey in GOLDENEYE. But then the whole film feels like it was written by fans ticking boxes rather than moving the series on in any way respectful of the six year hiatus the series experienced. But then GOLDENEYE is what it was at the time - a piece of mid-90's mainstream cinema. You could level criticism at many cinematic efforts around that time...and indeed now. The difference is that many fans need to step back from their centres of attention - if only so debates about a fifty year old film franchise don't descend into "how maroon should the next gunbarrel be" and "how old were you when John Gardner was first interviewed in '007' magazine?". Whoops...they already have...

Well, actually, I think that most of us posting our minor irritants are not truly bothered by most of these insignificant little tidbits we are mentioning. We are mentioning them mainly for fun - that's all. True, there are a few significant irritants (like the slide whistle during the barrel roll in TMWTGG and the pidgeon double take in MR), but most of these little things are not really that important to us - they're just fun to mention.

Personally, I am a huge fan of classic movies (I have over 350 movies in my collection from the 30's, 40's and 50's) and have seen a couple of thousand classic films). I enjoy them and am able to accept them from the era in which they are made (with all of their technical shortcomings). My favorite TV shows are The Saint and Secret Agent/Danger Man, and Mission Impossible.

With that said, the gunbarrels in the early Bonds are some shoddy piece of work. Believe me, they had the technology to get the guy centered in the film and to improve the gunbarrels and make the hole in the gunbarrel match the film.

So, the word "irritant", although applicable in some casees, is being used very loosely in many instances - they are little things that we notice that kindof, sortof, in a very insignificant way bug us - but might not have any bearing on how much we like a movie. Other more significant irritants (like the pidgeon double take) - do effect opinions on a movie. For example, the crumby gunbarrel in GF doesn't stop me from thinkings it's one of the best Bond movies ever.

Exactly! That's how I feel. I just did this for fun as well. The things I listed do very little to take away from the movie for me. They're just little things that bug you. That's all.

#100 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

The last few Moore gunbarrels were lame, lame, lame!

#101 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Because of the music, I assume, or from the different tinting/zooming?

#102 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

I have nothing to be really irritated about individual Bond films, but collectively I'm really irritated about two things:

#103 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

Because of Moore's tired ol' pose in the gunbarel shot. He looks like there's no urgency to it. The best poses have been Lazenby and Craig. Brosnan's and Dalton's were fine too. Moore's was too tired. Connery's too wobbly.

#104 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

I like Moore's first. It's up there with Laz & Craig for me.

#105 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

[*]Felix Leiter not being portrayed by the same actor in the Connery flicks.
[/list]

I agree about Blofeld. Why would Donald Pleasance be above returning for more movies? He wasn't above doing 5 or 6 Halloween flicks.

As for Felix, well, apparently from what I heard on the GF commentary, they approached Jack Lord about reprising the role, but he wanted equal pay and equal billing with Connery... so they went with a different actor and they figured it didn't matter from there on in who played him. (But that said, bring Jeffrey Wright back for Bond 22, damn it!)

#106 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

I like Moore's first. It's up there with Laz & Craig for me.

The end pose of Moore is great, but don't you think the swivel is very slow, almost casual?

#107 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

Because of Moore's tired ol' pose in the gunbarrel shot; he looks like there's no urgency to it. Personally, I think the best poses have been Lazenby and Craig; Brosnan's and Dalton's were fine too, but Moore's was too tired and Connery's was too wobbly. :D

Moore II was the tired one; Moore I is quick and to-the-point. :P:D

#108 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Because of Moore's tired ol' pose in the gunbarrel shot; he looks like there's no urgency to it. Personally, I think the best poses have been Lazenby and Craig; Brosnan's and Dalton's were fine too, but Moore's was too tired and Connery's was too wobbly. :D

Moore II was the tired one; Moore I is quick and to-the-point. :P:D

Absolutely agree! They should be distinguished.

#109 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, yes, I meant Moore-I. His "first".

#110 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

Ah, so we were thinking different gunbarrels. That makes sense. Yes, his first was fine. I still like OHMSS and CR the best - especially CR (except for all the striations in the barrel of the gun/cannon).

Now, you all must crank up your sound system when Craig fires his shot! Anyone else done this???

#111 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Referring to the music...?

#112 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

Why get rid of a good gunbarrel, TSWLM? :P

Referring to the music...?

There must have been something musical about my post since everyone is asking me if it was the music. :D No, the lack of urgency in the turn.

#113 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

Sorry, no, not wanting to be pedantic. You had said "the last few", and so we assumed you meant something pertaining to just FYEO-AVTAK. All but two of Moore's used that pose, so we figured it was something that was only different in the last three or four films, which was only the different arrangements of the Bond theme. Nerdy technicality. :D

#114 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

Ah, so we were thinking different gunbarrels. That makes sense. Yes, his first was fine. I still like OHMSS and CR the best - especially CR (except for all the striations in the barrel of the gun/cannon).

Now, you all must crank up your sound system when Craig fires his shot! Anyone else done this???

Why? Do you want me to blow my eardrums out? :D

#115 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

No, keep your eardrums intact. They hear better that way.

#116 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

No, keep your eardrums intact. They hear better that way.

So, why crank it up, then? :P

#117 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

[/list]

I agree about Blofeld. Why would Donald Pleasance be above returning for more movies? He wasn't above doing 5 or 6 Halloween flicks.

He wasn't above it, the director just wanted someone else.

#118 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

Here's one I just noticed the other night watching through Goldfinger. Check this out if you haven't noticed. But, be warned, if you do, you'll probably recognize it from here on out.

In the very first shot of the titles, I have already commented how the hand of the model painted gold is very stocky, thick and has a bent pinky - ah, but have you noticed the twitching thumb?

Watch it again, her thumb twitches irritatingly several times. Check it out. It's like she can't keep it still.

Did you ever notice that?

#119 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

[/list]

He wasn't above it, the director just wanted someone else.

Blofeld was going to be more physical in OHMSS and would be skiing, so Pleasance was never going to be offered the role.

I actually wish Jan Werich had remained Blofeld, he was cast to play the role in YOLT and was on set.

#120 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

Here's one I just noticed the other night watching through Goldfinger. Check this out if you haven't noticed. But, be warned, if you do, you'll probably recognize it from here on out.

In the very first shot of the titles, I have already commented how the hand of the model painted gold is very stocky, thick and has a bent pinky - ah, but have you noticed the twitching thumb?

Watch it again, her thumb twitches irritatingly several times. Check it out. It's like she can't keep it still.

Did you ever notice that?

Egads! It's like the "black slugs" on the Emperor's face in Return of the Jedi! :D