154 replies to this topic

#91 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

Something I noticed on the umpteenth viewing, is the bandages on the fingers of Vesper's right hand, when she and Bond are in the garden and Mendel arrives. I would like to know if they are "Vesper's" bandages or Eva's? Are they there as a result of Vesper's torture or did Eva have a mishap I haven't read about?

In the original script it was implied that Valenka was torturing Vesper in the other room - she asks Le Chiffre for some pliers!

Wish I could have seen that! :cooltongue:

I assume that moment was filmed, as there's no other reason for Eva to have bandages on later, so it might just show up on this supposed special edition DVD. I think at the hospital Bond notices her hand and asks what happened, too.

#92 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:45 AM

In the original script it was implied that Valenka was torturing Vesper in the other room - she asks Le Chiffre for some pliers!

That would have been a nice nod to the 1954 version, wouldn't it.

#93 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Not a visual thing, but i noticed the sound of the waves at the beginning of the scene where Bond was seducing Solange on the floor of his seaside hotel unit.

I don't know about you but i am of the opinion that he did make sweet sweet love to Solange. There is no evidence to the contrary.

#94 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

What ? They didn't took their clothes off.

#95 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

What? You need to remove all clothing when making love?

#96 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:48 AM

What? You need to remove all clothing when making love?

Let me clarify my view. Solange tells Bond that Dimitrios will catch the last flight to Miami. It appears that was at least 2-3 (maybe more) hours away, leaving them with plenty of time to satisfy their carnal desires as well as having a bite to eat.

When Bond orders food and drink for one, i think its because he doesn't want to leave a record that Solange was ever in his room, not because Solange dumped him to go back to Dimitrios.

That's my take anyway.

#97 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:34 AM

Honestly, I always looked at it like he ordered the room service for her alone, and then dashed off to the airport. Did they ever mention how long Bond had before the terrorist attack was to take place? I figured he just left her behind in a blind rush to stop Dimitrios.

#98 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

Honestly, I always looked at it like he ordered the room service for her alone, and then dashed off to the airport. Did they ever mention how long Bond had before the terrorist attack was to take place? I figured he just left her behind in a blind rush to stop Dimitrios.

Its great how people have different interpretations of this scene. I never considered what you just suggested Flash! It is plausible, but if he was in such a blind rush would he have taken the time to order her room service? Is Bond esp Craig's Bond such a gentleman?

Anyone have any more interpretations of this scene or other scenes for that matter? Reality is in the eye of the beholder it seems.

#99 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

I always assumed that as soon as Bond found out Dimitrios was leaving, he was out of there. He was all business with Solange even when pretending to be interested in her. So I'm thinking he didn't waste time with her beyond that point. He ordered room service to make it sound to her like he was staying (and maybe as a consolation prize for her), but then dashed off to the airport to chase after her husband. Solange's first realization that Bond wasn't there may well have come when room service delivered his order.

Edited by byline, 23 September 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#100 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

I always assumed that as soon as Bond found out Dimitrios was leaving, he was out of there. He was all business with Solange even when pretending to be interested in her. So I'm thinking he didn't waste time with her beyond that point. He ordered room service to make it sound to her like he was staying (and maybe as a consolation prize for her), but then dashed off to the airport to chase after her husband. Solange's first realization that Bond wasn't there may well have come when room service delivered his order.

This is my interpretation as well.

#101 b8amack

b8amack

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, he was out of there. The line on the phone is meant to connote that he was ditching her.

#102 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Alright, here's one. I know I probably blinked and missed some obvious explanation as to how this happened, but right now, I'm confused on one detail.

After the first round of the poker game, when the one hour break is called, Le Chiffre immediately leaves and heads for his room. Bond takes the opportunity, while Le Chiffre is gone, to place the bug that Mathis gave him into Le Chiffre's inhaler. After that, he heads over and grabs Vesper and heads off to pick up the gun from the front desk and head upstairs to follow Le Chiffre.

1) How did Bond locate Le Chiffre with his tracking device when he planted the bug(and/or homer?) in the inhaler after Le Chiffre left? Was there another homer that I missed?

2) What was Bond planning to do that he needed the gun? Was it just for his protection? Surely he wasn't gonna hold Le Chiffre at gunpoint.

I only got to watch CR again last night for the first time in months, so I may have missed something obvious, as I said. Thanks!

#103 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Alright, here's one. I know I probably blinked and missed some obvious explanation as to how this happened, but right now, I'm confused on one detail.

After the first round of the poker game, when the one hour break is called, Le Chiffre immediately leaves and heads for his room. Bond takes the opportunity, while Le Chiffre is gone, to place the bug that Mathis gave him into Le Chiffre's inhaler. After that, he heads over and grabs Vesper and heads off to pick up the gun from the front desk and head upstairs to follow Le Chiffre.

1) How did Bond locate Le Chiffre with his tracking device when he planted the bug(and/or homer?) in the inhaler after Le Chiffre left? Was there another homer that I missed?

Le Chiffre returned to the table to retrieve his inhaler (after Bond had inserted the bug) and took it with him before heading upstairs. At that point, Bond and Vesper got on the elevator, and Bond began tracking Le Chiffre. I'm going to assume that the bug performed two functions: as a tracking device, and also as an audio feed.

2) What was Bond planning to do that he needed the gun? Was it just for his protection? Surely he wasn't gonna hold Le Chiffre at gunpoint.

I assumed it was strictly for his own protection, should things go sideways. He knew that Le Chiffre was a dangerous character, so the gun was just there in case he needed it. Which, of course, he did, but it was kicked out of his hand in fairly short order in the stairwell scene.

Edited by byline, 26 October 2007 - 05:15 PM.

#104 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

I

#105 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Le Chiffre returned to the table to retrieve his inhaler (after Bond had inserted the bug) and took it with him before heading upstairs. At that point, Bond and Vesper got on the elevator, and Bond began tracking Le Chiffre. I'm going to assume that the bug performed two functions: as a tracking device, and also as an audio feed.

Are you absolutely sure Le Chiffre went back for the inhaler? I have no recollection of seeing it whatsoever. :D

#106 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

I've got one - on Le Chiffre's yacht, when he and Kratt are looking at the laptop, you can see Valenka in the shower in the background! Sadly she's still wearing her swimsuit though.

Something in that scene I never noticed until a recent is that when the camera is showing the news article, there's a banner ad on the side for Sony Bravia. Just goes to show you that even terrorist get those lousy banner ads.

#107 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

Lol, even the banner ad is for Sony. That's awesome. :D

#108 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Are you absolutely sure Le Chiffre went back for the inhaler? I have no recollection of seeing it whatsoever. :D

Yes. On first viewing, I remember feeling a bit nervous that Le Chiffre might've seen Bond put the bug in the inhaler, as he came back to the table so quickly after being called over by his henchman.

#109 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Yes. On first viewing, I remember feeling a bit nervous that Le Chiffre might've seen Bond put the bug in the inhaler, as he came back to the table so quickly after being called over by his henchman.

Sweet. Good to know.

#110 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

Sweet. Good to know.

Just watched it again on the DVD to be sure. After a break is announced, the bald henchman whispers something to Le Chiffre. He goes off to one side to talk with the two henchmen. Bond sees his opportunity and moves over to slip the bug into the inhaler, with Mathis standing next to him with two martinis, blocking the view of what Bond is doing. They move away, and then we see Le Chiffre in the background, returning to the table. We don't actually see him pick up the inhaler, but that would've been his only reason to return, and we see him slipping something into his pocket, presumably the inhaler.

Edited by byline, 26 October 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#111 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Sweet. Good to know.

Just watched it again on the DVD to be sure. After a break is announced, the bald henchman whispers something to Le Chiffre. He goes off to one side to talk with the two henchmen. Bond sees his opportunity and moves over to slip the bug into the inhaler, with Mathis standing next to him with two martinis, blocking the view of what Bond is doing. They move away, and then we see Le Chiffre in the background, returning to the table. We don't actually see him pick up the inhaler, but that would've been his only reason to return, and we see him slipping something into his pocket, presumably the inhaler.

Well done, byline! Very impressive reconnaissance work for a mere crewman (gender neutral). :P

#112 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

It really is amazing how tight of a movie CR is. No major plot holes, no "well it is just a movie" explanations.

They got it right.

#113 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

(to the tune of the old hymn)Vic-to-ryyy in Haaag-giiis... :P

(Sorry, 'bout that one, Lord...won't happen again. :D )

#114 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

(to the tune of the old hymn)Vic-to-ryyy in Haaag-giiis... :P

(Sorry, 'bout that one, Lord...won't happen again. :D )

Yeah. The Lord loves a lying blasphemer. :D

#115 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

Who's scruffy lookin'? :D

O....k, back to topic, here we go...

#116 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Well done, byline! Very impressive reconnaissance work for a mere crewman (gender neutral). :D

LOL! :P

#117 JEWEL0929

JEWEL0929

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well, maybe I am late to this topic but.... I always assumed (always a fatal mistake) that he ordered room service for one, meaning Solange, but then could never figure out with all the congruencies in the movie, why he had changed clothes by the time he was in the cab on the way to the airport...

#118 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

Well he was only wearing pants and a shirt he had thrown on when he made the room service call -- and he knew he would have to blend in and look nondescript in Miami. So he quickly grabbed a shirt, threw on a leather jacket, and headed to the airport.

EDIT: Welcome to CommanderBond, JEWEL0929! Always good to see new members.

Edited by Binyamin, 26 October 2007 - 11:10 PM.

#119 BLOFELDSKAT

BLOFELDSKAT

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:15 AM

Here's one for you!
When Bond swam down the beach to find Dimitri's house where did he put his clothes?
Did he just emerge and buy some?
If this question has been answered elsewhere just rope my b***ls!
Sorry, new here.

#120 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Here's one for you!
When Bond swam down the beach to find Dimitri's house where did he put his clothes?
Did he just emerge and buy some?
If this question has been answered elsewhere just rope my b***ls!
Sorry, new here.

Presumably he put them in the cottage he was renting.

"Get a rope!"