hello everyone.. good to be back.
had a bit of a break from these boards.. i was a die hard craig/casino roayle supporter..i raged, ranted and railed so much in daniel craigs favour here for the year prior to casino royale's release that once i saw the film ( many times ) i couldnt bring myself to come back here and write what would have surely been many thousands of words about it and how great he was ( i loved it obviously ) i was drained!.. so i took my time in returning to this site! one thing is that his performance is still powerful and electrifying every time i watch it. the films not perfect but its damn fantastic and he is superb.
anyway..ive watched the dvd lots and it keeps being exciting for some reason.. i still cant believe it exists. and im still thrilled at how well DC has done and how great everything worked out in the end. pretty much beyond my wildest dreams. ive noticed some cool little things in the film amidst all the obvious great bits:
1. the distant plane that flies across the night sky in dryden's ofice in 2 shots. ( his soon to be departed soul perhaps?)
2. the way Bond puts his sunglasses in his top pocket just before M tells him about le chiffres gambling/poker game etc. ( out in the weird veranda thing in the bahamas after the miami plane scene ).. check it out, its tiny but cool.
3. the tiny smile bond gives when he sees on the security camera screen the germans surrounding their car ( which he smashed up ).
4. the way bonds yacht is just off the shore of mr whites villa at the very end. so cool for bond to have sailed there.. i hope im right here. legend.
5. the way Bond walks up and says 'may i join you?' at the ocean club casino.. this few seconds of film to me is just iconic. you see how classy he can be as well as tough as nails. its like bond being born again before your eyes.
6. the only tonally strange bits in terms of craigs performance for me are the beach scenes at the end. where he says about 'no soul left to salvage'. i dont dislike this part at all but his performance seems very slightly out with the rest of his bond. i was wondering - what was the very first dialogue scene filmed? was it this one by any chance. i really dont know if it is but its certainly feels different if not slightly unsure of itself.
7. just how great the tuxedo scene is.
8. how cool leiter and bond's chemistry and relationship is after just a few scenes in the film.
9. how when M finds Bond in her appartment, Bond is shuffling a deck of cards.. ( anyone see that? )
10. the way craig/bond handles his gun throughout the movie - checking it in the car in the carpark without looking, the way he handles it after its taken out of the package in the lift, the way he reloads in the sinking house in venice.. cold, deadly, drilled.
11. the darkness of his smile when the guy blows up at miami airport. bond the sadist played perfectly. watch it - he doesnt even blink.
12. in the train scene the way craig leans back and says 'you've heard the term?' . pure class.
Edited by stone cold, 18 April 2007 - 04:35 PM.