This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:45 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
No he can stay away from 007. He did the rewrite on my all-time least favorite 007 movie The World is not Enough which I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Man, we have similar tastes! :)
We both rank AVTAK highly, and TWINE lowly.

#182 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 11:43 PM

My dislike of The World is not Enough is well known on these boards....:)

#183 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:03 PM

For Your Eyes Only is my favorite. It is also my favorite Bond movie of time!

#184 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hmmm....Can anyone tell me why the film codes are not working all of a sudden?

#185 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:08 AM

If I ranked them:

Note: 1, 2, and 3 are all just about the same and waver depending upon my mood.

1) For Your Eyes Only
I've always enjoyed it just a little more than TSWLM and OP because it stay pretty consistant. Sure the hockey player are a little wacked, but the film is psuedo-serious and remains so for the duration of them film. The score is great fun too. :)

2) The Spy Who Loved Me
What can I say? Pure screen magic. Best bond song by far.

3) Octopussy
Almost a perfect mix of TSWLM and FYEO- and OP has the kind of plot I like. The Bond/Octopussy relationship is nice, and I just like the mood of the film. This would be my fave Moore film but it goes a little too far in India. Aside from that, it's great. Great score and romantic theme as well! Great story though... they need another novelist on board for Bond 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Moonraker
Used to dislike it back in my "Timothy Dalton stupor". Now I'd say I like it more than TLD (which slows down near the end). Great villain, locations, look, sets, direction, and score. It also had confidence. TSWLM had more b***s-out gusto than actual confidence. By Moore #4 (like Brosnan #4) they had finely gotten out of the "let's try to keep the series afloat without Sean" rut. Bond was really back IMHO. It seemed effortless, where TSWLM goes overboard (not in a bad way mind you) to be accepted. Great romantic theme.

5) Live and Let Die
Does anyone get reminded of The French Connection? I dunno, it's when Bond is drving the car on the freeway after the driver is killed. The music sounds so much like TFC to me. :) Anyway, great Bond. A little tacky, but hey it's the wasteland known as the early 70's. Great (and underrated) villain, a like 22 year-old Jane Seymour (do I need to explain?) and the cab driver ("I sure hope you make friends easy. Right on, Jim!") is absolutely hilarious to me. Talk about the perfect Bond film at the perfect time. This film would not have worked at any other time in the series, that is my firm belief. It also probably saved the series at that point. Such great lines ("Get me a make on a white Pimpmobile" "The one who gets Bond stays alive" "On whose side?" "Did you touch that"?). ROTFLMAO! Delightful Bond camp at it's best- and a coherent plot too. Oh, and Roger Moore is in it? Oh, I didn't even think of him replacing Connery becuase the film didn't give me a minute to do so. Brilliantly handled introduction of a new Bond.

6) The Man With The Golden Gun aka When Nipples Attack
Phu Yuck this film. Gawd awful. TMWTGG and AVTAK are #19 and #20 on my list. The only thing that makes this better than AVTAK is the presence of Lee and that it doesn't put me to sleep like that other one. No plot. Scaramanga was never even after Bond, so Bond actually went off to save Andrea Anders. He failed. And why on earth was MI6 after Gibson? What did he do? He invented something and ran off like a fugitive? Why didn't they analyze the bullet that was sent to them instead of wasting tax payer money by sending Bond to an ugly stripper and the drug store for laxitives? But Scaramanga was NEVER after Bond. Thereofre, wasn't Bond the villain for ticking off the guy until he had no choice but to defend himself?

7) A View To A Kill
Worst Bond ever. Bad action, Keystone Kop rountine. No life to the movie. I don't even want to talk about it. :)

Edited by Mansfield 005, 12 January 2004 - 08:12 AM.

#186 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

Okay White Tuxedo...You had me happy with your first two choices, but then you had to diss one of my all-time favorite 007 pictures AVTAK....Tsk tsk :)

#187 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:13 PM

4)Moonraker

Great villain, locations, look, sets, direction, and score.  It also had confidence.  TSWLM had more b***s-out gusto than actual confidence.  By Moore #4 (like Brosnan #4) they had finely gotten out of the "let's try to keep the series afloat without Sean" rut.  Bond was really back IMHO.  It seemed effortless, where TSWLM goes overboard (not in a bad way mind you) to be accepted.  Great romantic theme.

I second those comments, White Tuxedo! Except I voted for MR as my favorite Moore Bond film though OP is a close 2nd. I remember when it was first released: James Bond meets Star Wars, how could a Star Wars generation kid like I was resist such a splendid combination? I also like the superconfidence of the film. Like White Tuxedo said, it was truly the first "we can survive without Sean" Bond film. There's also something to be said for the superconfidence that each actor who has stayed around to do a 4th Bond brings to his role. Connery brought it to TB, Brosnan brought it to DAD and Moore is no exception. Drax is the best post-Blofeld megalomaniac with his witty lines and cool multi-billion dollar empire. I also like how they don't try to psychologize his villainy(i.e. father problems, his parents were killed by the British, he was a victim of genetic engineering, etc. type stuff). He's just a villain who likes being a baddy. Goodhead is my favorite American Bond girl and I prefer her as a Bond heroine to Jinx, Christmas Jones, Pam Bouvier or Wai Lin anyday. In addition, the locations, the fluid pacing of the film, the Academy award nominated special effects all help make MR an unpretentious and good, old fashioned fun Bond film that deserves to rank higher that it does.

#188 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:08 AM

I just dislike that Jaws romance stuff so much. That did not belong in a 007 movie.

#189 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, but it wasn't too big for me. I mean, it wasn't a huge focus. Even though I think she looked like the Swiss Miss girl meets Jan Brady.

------

Side note: I wish the girl had braces. You see Jaws smile with big, shiney teeth. Then she smiles with big, shiney braces. :) Talk about metal mouth. Would've added a new depth to their attraction.

------

Edited by White Tuxedo, 15 January 2004 - 08:05 PM.

#190 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:30 PM

Now that would have pushed it too far White Tuxedo! :)

Personally, I wonder if Moonraker would have been better (even though it's an excellent Bond film), if Jaws stayed the villain he was. Would he have been destroyed? It's something I've often thought about.

#191 AAMD11

AAMD11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:59 PM

FYEO, its simply the best Bond of all 20, in my opinion!

#192 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:36 PM

I voted for OP, but MR has everything: the best locations, a great villain, a lot of Bond girls, and great action sequences. Although, how they assembled all of those elements may come into question, MR is still a lot of fun.

#193 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

MOONRAKER is certainly a lot of fun and the first half of the movie is absolute magic.

#194 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 05:00 AM

And the huge budget shows too. Total class much of that film was. Love the shot when they fly over the "superhumans" doing those exercises. Just a great looking film.

I also think Lewis Gilbert is an undersrated Bond director. I think he was certainly better than John Glen (who was rather dull and lacked panache).

#195 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:34 PM

I will agree with you about Gilbert versus Glen. I think Gilberts pre-007 work was also really good.

#196 AAMD11

AAMD11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

I concur!

#197 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

:)

In fact there is a whole thread about this issue here on CBn!

#198 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 02:34 AM

. For Your Eyes Only . :)

#199 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:04 AM

I do like that DVD cover, but nostalgia dictates that I prefer the UK quad more. :)

#200 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:01 AM

TSWLM has to be any of the so called Moore "Bond Films"

LALD- Bad acting/interpritation
TMWTGG- Horrible Bond Girl
MR- Too far out, Bond in space just doesn't work for me... DAF, YOLT, DAD
FYEO-Dunno, can't sit through it
OP- Ditto
AVTAK-2nd Best Moore (Love the blimps)

Edited by dajman_007, 13 February 2004 - 02:59 PM.

#201 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:18 AM

FYEO-Dunno, can't sit through it
OP- Ditto

You're really doing yourself a diservice if you never sit down and fully watch these two. They are some of Roger's strongest films. FYEO especially. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can call Octopussy boring. It has some of the most amazing action in any Bond film. Waaay better than the action to be found in TMWTGG, AVTAK, & MR. I never liked FYEO when I was younger. But with age came an appreciation and a love for that movie. It's great.

However, i also agree with you that AVTAK flat out rocks. I love the end when Roger/Bond jumps on the rope and the blimp takes him into the air. How frickin cool is that? It's daring,exciting, fun, romantic and everything that James Bond is all about.
Imagine how cool the battle scene atop the golden gate bridge would have looked if shot today? I was watching the Hulk and there's a brief scene which features that bridge, however, it was shot utilzing CGI. Still, even as it currently stands, AVTAK's climax is fantastic (even without the use of digital effects) and an overlooked highlight of the series.

#202 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:33 PM

I've actualy watched them both, I just didn't like them for some reason, and I can see why others do I just think the the Connery and Brosnan films were better... SORRY.

#203 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

I've actualy watched them both, I just didn't like them for some reason, and I can see why others do I just think the the Connery and Brosnan films were better... SORRY.

Brosnan better LOL.....That's a good one....no really, thanks for making me laugh!

#204 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:48 PM

roger had so many good ones its hard to choose but i think for me its still a view to a kill

#205 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:59 PM

I've now had Moonraker move up to my 2nd all time favorite James Bond film with The Spy Who Loved Me in number 1 of course. The film just feels very light, but has some excellent scenes and sequences, that of course combined with the brilliant photography and John Barry's Score, it's a great film!

#206 Visitor1982

Visitor1982

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:54 PM

It's always difficult to name the best Moore Bond movie, because he did so many good ones... Octopussy has to be my favourite. That film includes everything!

#207 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:31 PM

Found myself watching The Man With The Golden Gun on DVD last night ---eek!

#208 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:43 PM

Good choice, Darren - not only is TMWTGG Moore's best effort, it's probably the finest Bond film ever. :)

#209 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:34 PM

Funny ! :)

#210 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers