This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:02 AM

Originally posted by CommanderBond
TSWLM is his best and roger even said that it was his favourite.

That's true Roger says that on the documentary....it's also the favorite of John Glen which is interesting since it was not one he directed.

#152 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 12:42 AM

I have to say that Roger and EON got it right with Moore first outing. LALD is my favourite Moore Bond Movie.

Keep the change!.

#153 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:12 AM

Roger was at his most agile in the first three[is that just me?] Or maybe he just had better fights staged. FYEO is pretty taut though. But after TSWLM I would've toned down the superhuman stunts like in NSNA. I don't feel worthy yet of rating his movies because of years of anti-Moore bias, but after DAD I look forward to reviewing Roger's repetoire all over again!! Enough of this Eugene O'Neill emoting, I like the fact that Moore only had a few "serious actor" moments.
TSWLM
TMWTGG
LALD
FYEO
OP
MR
AVTAK
The final shot in TMWTGG is pretty sweet....

#154 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Onyx2626

The final shot in TMWTGG is pretty sweet....

I completely agree....

#155 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:32 AM

Originally posted by DanMan
My new ranking...

For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy
Live And Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
A View To A Kill
Moonraker
The Spy Who Loved Me

My new ranking is...

Octopussy
FYEO
TSWLM
TMWTGG
Moonraker
AVTAK
LALD

It changes month to month :)

#156 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 09:25 AM

I voted for the rather underrated AVTAK.
Not only do I rate it the best Moore film, but it is also my favourite 007 movie altogether. This film is just brilliant!
First of all, I LOVE the locations - France, Eiffel Tower, Zorin's Estate, San Francisco City Hall, The Silver Mine, The Golden Gate Bridge, What more could you ask for?!
Secondly, the action is just fantastic and gripping. The Car Chase In France, The Horse Race, The City Hall Fire, The Fire Engine Chase, The Whole Mine Flood, and of course, the unforgettable Golden Gate Bridge climax!
The Villains are brilliant! Max Zorin was a pure psycho, he never hesitated to kill his men, He was ruthless, had an interesting background, hell, he even laughs before he dies! Also, he was portrayed by Christopher Walken, one of the greatest actors to ever walk the planet! May Day was very memorable, and was a very unique character. Although in a lot of people's opinions she wasn't physically attractive, that I agree with, I for one still love her for her ruthless, tough, strong, and rather creepy persona! Scarpine and Mortner were pretty average for me...
The Girls. The underrated Stacey Sutton has been picked on a lot for her irritating screams in other forums, but I think this is what's so good about her - She actually has character in her! A lot of Bond girls IMO don't have character in them. Christmas Jones for example.... Also, Tanya Roberts was hot, can't forget that!
Many people criticise this film because of Roger's age, but honestly, I think he looked no different from what he did in Octopussy.
Some of AVTAK's dialogue I like, preferably Zorin's "So Does Anyone Else Wanna Drop Out?", and Pola's "The Bubbles! They Tickle My.... Tchaicovsky!" (Probably Spelt Wrong).
So, this is why I have voted AVTAK.
*My First Post*

#157 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Jarvio

Many people criticise this film because of Roger's age, but honestly, I think he looked no different from what he did in Octopussy.
Some of AVTAK's dialogue I like, preferably Zorin's "So Does Anyone Else Wanna Drop Out?", and Pola's "The Bubbles! They Tickle My.... Tchaicovsky!" (Probably Spelt Wrong).
So, this is why I have voted AVTAK.  
*My First Post*

Well, I do think you can notice his age difference from Octopussy, I find it quite evident in the opening sequence, however, it's not completely bad. And yes, some of the lines are quite good, particularly the one's with Pola. :) Welcome to CBn!

#158 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 09:25 PM

After watching AVTAK, I say on multiple viewings, it just get's better and better. However the ending freaked me out just a little bit.

#159 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:41 PM

I voted for the rather underrated AVTAK.
Not only do I rate it the best Moore film, but it is also my favourite 007 movie altogether.

Another AVTAK fan -- our ranks are growing here at CBN! :)

#160 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

Well I won't do a ranking yet until around Christmas because I'm too busy with school; plus I'm not even going to watch Bond until I'm out for the Winter brake. Anyway, I will post what I think to be the strengths and weaknesses of each Moore pictures. If there is something I don't mention, it means I don't have any real strong likes or dislikes about that person or thing.

LALD:
1. Strengths: Moore's Performance, villians, Jane Seymour's attractiveness, the George Martin score(no offense to John Barry fans), locations, the voodoo setting, the boat chase, and Sheriff Pepper's comic relief.
2. Weaknesses: Kananga's demise which leaves me cold and empty, the distraction of Felix Leiter, Rosie but atleast she is in it temporarily and dies a sweet death, and no Q.

TMWTGG:
1. Strengths: Far East locations, Maud Adams, Moore still good, funhouse scenes, Christopher Lee, Scaramanga shooting High Fat, the Lazar scene, the lunch between Bond and Scaramanga, the elephant discussion at the kickboxing match, the car chase, fight in Sieda's dressing room, and the return of Q even though he doesn't do much.
2. Weaknesses: The theme song, Mary Goodnight, Luetenent Hip who is a distraction, the dullness compared to other Bond films, and M and Miss Moneypenny who are bitchy.

TSWLM:
1. Strengths: The Egyptian Location, Moore getting better in the role, Jaws and all the suspense around the character, the ski chase, the lotus section, Atlantis, Captain Carter, Bond revealing to Anya that he killed her lover, Nobody does it better, and the regulars have improved from the previous picture.
2. Weaknesses: Film never answers the question of who will live in Strombergs underwater city, Anya, slow moments such as the part where they first arrive in Sardinia and go to hotel, the Anya revenge stuff is weak despite one good scene where she discovers Bond killed her lover, and battle scene in supertanker tires.

MR:
1. Strengths: The score by John Barry is beautiful, Corinne, dog attacking Corinne, the sky diving sequence, the Venice and Rio locations, Jaws returning, centrifuge sequence, fight with Chang in art gallery, the cable car, Amazon boat chase, a smart woman in Holly Goodhead, lazer battle(I know I know :) ), Bond shooting Drax with dart, the attack on the three globes, theme song, the scientists getting gased in the Venice laboritory, and the usage of the space shuttle which was introduced around the time the film came out.
2. Weaknesses: Venice boat chase despite great location.

FYEO:
1. Strengths: Moore's best performance, Ski chase, car chase, Topol, locations, story and plot, more down to Earth, Tracy's grave.
2. Weaknesses: Gets a bit slow during second half but it's not a serious flaw.

Octopussy:
1. Strengths: Battle in Monsoon Palace, Kamal Khan, all scenes in Germany, the backgammon scene, all women are strong characters, the plane fight, pretitle sequence, Q scenes, throwing knife twins and buzz saw, and V Jay.
2. Weaknesses: Confusing plot about the eggs, humor doesn't work as well as Moonraker, Moore becoming utterly goofy, general Orlove, and Gobinda.

AVTAK:
1. Strengths: Sir Godfrey Tibet, Zorin, Dr. Mortner, Mayday, Moore giving a good and fun performance, Eifel Tower, Golden gate Bridge, Ski Chase, Duran Duran title song, more simple plot than Octopussy.
2. Weaknesses: Robert Brown and Desmond Lleweyln are not as interesting.

#161 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:51 PM

Excellent post BondNumber7! :) I just though I'd add a couple of my ideas as well. Well to begin with, I DO LIKE AVTAK, it's not my favorite, but's it's not bad at all. However, one character in that film, I do have a problem with- Scarpine. I truly think he is a huge letdown for the Bond series villains. I mean, how much more boring can you get with him, he holds a gun and also kills guys with Zorin, wow. Mayday was the real all star for A View To A Kill, and that faint little scar that's on Scarpine's face, it just doesn't do it as a 'villain marking', likes Stromberg's webbed hands, it's not flashed out or anything, and there's not even a reference made to it. Now, I know I'm going overboard and everything about him, but, I fell so strongly about how well the Bond characters are portrayed, that he's kind of a letdown. I really don't think it's the actor's part that's the problem at all, but the film would've done pretty much the same without him. It's the character that needed some reworking.

#162 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Qwerty. I was going to mention Scarpine as a weakness of AVTAK but I could not remember his name.

#163 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:51 AM

Anytime. :) Yeah, see he was 'forgettable.' (Just messing around. :)

#164 Brandon Steves

Brandon Steves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:24 PM

Live and Let Die. I loved the music, the characters, and the plot. A really great film.

#165 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Brandon Steves
Live and Let Die.  I loved the music, the characters, and the plot. A really great film.

We are the few who think Live and Let Die is Roger's best. :)

#166 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:01 PM

I actually rank LALD 2nd out of the Moore films after AVTAK, and AVTAK and LALD are my top two 007 movies of all time. LALD at one time used to be my favourite, but now it's second. :)

#167 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:27 PM

I actually rank LALD 2nd out of the Moore films after AVTAK, and AVTAK and LALD are my top two 007 movies of all time. LALD at one time used to be my favourite, but now it's second. :)

Your favorite 007 movie is A View to a Kill....You are a person of excellent taste Jarvio. I also love A View to a Kill!!! It is right up there as one of my top five 007 movies!

#168 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:12 PM

Thanks DLibrasnow!
AVTAK is indeed a great movie! :)

#169 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:07 PM

I never tire of watching AVTAK -- Zorin is one of the all time best screen villains.
There is a thread here in the forums that I started which defends Roger Moore's last 007 movie. I discovered that there are a large number of AVTAK fans here on CBN.

#170 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:11 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I never tire of watching AVTAK -- Zorin is one of the all time best screen villains.
There is a thread here in the forums that I started which defends Roger Moore's last 007 movie. I discovered that there are a large number of AVTAK fans here on CBN.

I am one of them! :)

Granted it's not in my top ten, but I still love that film! Max Zorin is wonderful as an insane Silicon Valley mogul! You gotta love that laugh. :)

#171 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:12 PM

Every frame that Zorin is in is complete hokum fun....He has got to be the best villain of the franchise.

#172 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:14 PM

Every frame that Zorin is in is complete hokum fun....He has got to be the best villain of the franchise.

Well, I can't call him the best, that honor goes to Elliot Carver for me, but I do love the insanity that is brewing in Zorin's mind! :)

#173 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:19 PM

Never liked the Elliot Carver character as a villain but I think that is mostly because I am not a big fan of Tomorrow Never Dies

#174 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:23 PM

Never liked the Elliot Carver character as a villain but I think that is mostly because I am not a big fan of Tomorrow Never Dies

Ah, that one is one of my favorites, although the action could be toned down a little. However, I love the dialogue, characters and even that insane plot! :)

Carver gets some of the best lines in the series for me and I find his take on the character fascinating!

#175 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:55 PM

I thought that movie was simply okay when I first saw it and its a 007 movie I can just not get into for the life of me!

Fierstein did do some fine dialogue though!

#176 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:10 PM

I thought that movie was simply okay when I first saw it and its a 007 movie I can just not get into for the life of me!

Fierstein did do some fine dialogue though!

I remember watching it over and over again on Paperview and it's still one of my favorites!

I'm still waiting and hoping for Feirstein's return on Bond 21....

#177 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:12 PM

No he can stay away from 007. He did the rewrite on my all-time least favorite 007 movie The World is not Enough which I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns.

#178 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:13 PM

No he can stay away from 007. He did the rewrite on my all-time least favorite 007 movie The World is not Enough which I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Well, it seems like everyone worked on that one. Apted's wife, P & W, Feirstein...

I think he could do some great work on Bond 21....

#179 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:16 PM

He is really good with dialogue I will give you that.

#180 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:20 PM

He is really good with dialogue I will give you that.

Yes, and I won't go on about that. :)

I'll admit that some didn't like the plot for TND, but I loved it and I think he made the film come together. It's one of my top favs.