This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

LALD- Provided Moore in a good starter role as Bond. A decent storyline, without too many gadgets. Provided him with a good leading lady in Jane Seymour and Baron Samedi is one of my favorite villians of all time ***

TMWTGG- Considered the worst but is up on my list. A fun Bond adventure. Even though all the key elements aren't there, I still happen to like this one ***

TSWLM- My favorite Moore, My 3rd favorite Bond second to GE and FRWL. Bond is more well Bond in this mission. Anya was hot. The action is good, the story is good. A pure fun Bond movie ****

MR- Highly disregarded. Bond in space. The first Moore film I saw. Return of Jaws. Good locations, decent action, awesome special effects ***1/2

FYEO- My least favorite Moore. I'm not saying I dont like it, it just doesn't have a fun Bond feeling to it. I think it was the music and the chase with the little yellow car. I'll watch it if it comes on tv but other than that FYEO is ok **1/2

OP- Reminds me of TSWLM. A good entry with a good story, good action. Moore looked a little old, but overall. ***

AVTAK- Could have been a lot better. If it did not have Tanya Roberts and the fire engine chase, Walken was a kick butt villian. Mayday although a little creepy, well played by Grace Jones **1/2

#242 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:10 AM

Even though all the key elements aren't there, I still happen to like this one ***

Just curious, but what do you mean by that? The villain, girls, locations? :)

#243 Broncostar44

Broncostar44

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:18 AM

There are two things I like about avtak. (BTW I saw it for the first time yesterday.) One, The title theme, my fav music of all the movies. second, the way the action was kept pretty fast. It never bored me like a lot of other bond films, especially some of the moore ones.

#244 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

Just curious, but what do you mean by that? The villain, girls, locations?

Sorry I meant SOME of the elements werent there. Such as Mary Goodnight, the return of Sheriff Pepper, Hip, and the comedy. Other than that TWMTGG is a fun Bond adventure

#245 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:11 AM

Just curious, but what do you mean by that? The villain, girls, locations?

Sorry I meant SOME of the elements werent there. Such as Mary Goodnight, the return of Sheriff Pepper, Hip, and the comedy. Other than that TWMTGG is a fun Bond adventure

Oh, I see. Just wondering because I think The Man With The Golden Gun had all of the prerequisite Bond elements, but that some of them were not presented in the best way. IMO.

#246 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

Nice to see that every one of the Moore films has gotten some votes! :) While I think Spy Who Loved Me is my favorite movie, I've really started warming up to Live and Let Die over the past few years. Its becoming my second favorite Moore film.

#247 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Here's my ranking:

1) For Your Eyes Only
Great acting, great story, great directing. For Your Eyes Only is a great film and one of the strongest Bond movies. It has a great formula and here we got Roger on revenge. Great film
2) The Spy Who Loved Me
The series has find it way back to the classics here. But it is still a little too comical. Roger Moore at his best. Barbara Bach is great. Very bad music but a very good story.
3) Live and Let Die
Moore's excellent entrance to the Bond series. We have a great actor team here: Jane Seymour, Yaphet Kotto, David Hedison, Bernard Lee. A quite good story that should have been better and a terrible soundtrack. Good movie
4) Octopussy
Great movie too. There is a great plot in this movie. The Indian nature is a great location. The short story by Fleming has nicely been tied into the film (Dexter Smythe is Octopussy's daughter). Maud Adams does a a great job in this movie as the Bond girl. Kamal Kahn is a good villain. But I still finds the movie to be a little boring
5) A View to a Kill
Great main title song. Good performance by Moore and a diabolical villain. The plot should have been much more evolved, this is sadly Richard Maibaum's worst script. Why couldn't the short story have been fit into the story like it did in FYEO, Octopussy and TLD. But it's better than both Moonraker and TMWTGG
6) Moonraker
Great story (before Bond goes up into space). Quite good Bond girl and an amazing villain. Moore is great as Bond here and we gets Bernard Lee's final perfomance as M here. The space elements in the end is iffy as hell and too much over the top like YOLT and DAF was
7) The Man With the Golden Gun
Worst movie from the Bond era. Britt Ekland does a bad job as a Bond girl. Sure Christopher Lee is good as Scaramanga and Barry's score is fine but it can't save this bad movie

#248 Moore007

Moore007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Definently TSWLM.

#249 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

My rankings (which are highly subject to change):

1) The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Bond girl Barbara Bach is the hottest girl of the series. Everything seems to fall into place with this movie and in a balanced fashion. Great wold domination plot, locations, the introduction of Jaws (who is not played too much for comic effect) and Bond shows his merciless, ruthless side in the killing of Sandor and Stromberg. Great track with a fresh feel.
2) A View to a Kill (1985)
Corrects the plotholes that were so apparent in Goldfinger without creating more of their own. Fantastic fight on top of the Golden Gate Bridge, wonderful performance by Walken as villain, Bond girl Tanya Roberts is sexy but voice and character is annoying at times. Great use of locations and interesting plot (with a lot of Gardner elements included). One of the best pre-credits of Moore era. Grace Jones is sexy in a weird way (don

#250 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

The Man with the Golden Dun (1974)
Worst production design of the series

Gosh, D, why do you persist in slamming the production design of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? What's so bad about it, exactly? Granted, it's hardly up there with the best of Ken Adam, but it's not wall-to-wall eyesores, either. Besides, much of the film was shot in authentic Thai locations, so if you're gonna blame anyone blame the local builders who put everything up before TMWTGG was even a glimmer in Fleming's eye.

I mean, it's not as though you watch, say, A VIEW TO A KILL, LICENCE TO KILL or DIE ANOTHER DAY and think: "Wow, what stunning production design!" I'm truly mystified as to why that of TMWTGG offends your aesthetic sense so. Worst production design of the series? But why?

Okay, it's not that wonderful (although any flaws in it are, for me, more than compensated for by that terrific old-time "travelogue" feel), but then again it's not that terrible either, surely?

Anyway, here's my current ranking of the Moores (I've probably contributed a ranking to this thread already; if so, I'll be interested to check back and see whether my views have changed):

1. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

2. MOONRAKER

3. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

4. LIVE AND LET DIE

5. A VIEW TO A KILL

6. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

7. OCTOPUSSY

#251 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:51 PM

My personal current rating of the Moore films (not best quality ranking, but favorite ranking):

1. The Spy Who Loved Me - I love the Egypt sequence to the point of obsession. That scene at the pyramids is perfect.
2. Moonraker - Ooh. It's just epic in every sense of the word. Ridiculous, yes. But it knows it's a ridiculous movie, so it does just fine.
3. The Man with the Golden Gun - Christopher Lee is amazing. I love him enough and some of the other things in this movie to put it at #3. I do hate JW Pepper and that car chase, though. Ugh.
4. Live and Let Die - It's Bond meets Shaft. Fun stuff.
5. A View to a Kill - One of the worst films in the series. Long, drawn out, and just chock full of annoying things. Gotta love Walken, though.
6. Octopussy - Another one of the worst films in the series. The only thing I like is the yo-yo weapon.
7. For Your Eyes Only - Would've been ranked as the most boring Bond film ever, but then TWINE came along.

#252 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

The Man with the Golden Dun (1974)
Worst production design of the series

Gosh, D, why do you persist in slamming the production design of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? What's so bad about it, exactly? Granted, it's hardly up there with the best of Ken Adam, but it's not wall-to-wall eyesores, either. Besides, much of the film was shot in authentic Thai locations, so if you're gonna blame anyone blame the local builders who put everything up before TMWTGG was even a glimmer in Fleming's eye.

I mean, it's not as though you watch, say, A VIEW TO A KILL, LICENCE TO KILL or DIE ANOTHER DAY and think: "Wow, what stunning production design!" I'm truly mystified as to why that of TMWTGG offends your aesthetic sense so. Worst production design of the series? But why?

Okay, it's not that wonderful (although any flaws in it are, for me, more than compensated for by that terrific old-time "travelogue" feel), but then again it's not that terrible either, surely?

Anyway, here's my current ranking of the Moores (I've probably contributed a ranking to this thread already; if so, I'll be interested to check back and see whether my views have changed):

Uh...No. I cannot possibly see "Golden Gun" as being anywhere near the top. There are many reasons why it's so bad, like the production design, the absurd plot, a Bone-head Bond Girl, an atrocious theme song and sloppy score, (on a John Barry scale.) The action sequences seem flat, and there is no excuse as to why J.W. Pepper is included, or as to why Bond beats up Andrea. Scaramanga and Nick Nack are a highlight, but their potential wasn't used to its fullest, just like the film as a whole. All in all, I think that the movie is a snoozer, but does win the award for "most potential."

Here's my order, which seems to match with a lot of other fans:

1. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME: This film is Roger Moore's GOLDFINGER. This film is nearly perfect in every way, even though it's a remake of YOLT. It's no wonder the film recieved the most Oscar nominations of the series. It's hard to find any thing wrong with the movie that would tarnish its image. The song is one of the series' all time high's. Wins the award for BEST OVERALL MOORE FILM.

2. OCTOPUSSY: Even though this movie is controversial, it seems to have one of the most ingenious plots of the series, and also has the most inspired Moore cast. Kamal Khan is so great a villain, that he doesn't need lasers or stupid funhouses to stretch his ego. In fact, he treats James Bond with great respect, and delivers thoughtful one-liners like it's second nature. Maud Adams is perfectly cast as Octopussy. Her and Moore's chemistry lights up the screen, and she definitely is the best Moore Bond Girl. All of the supporting roles are perfectly cast, all of the locations are stunning, and the action is top notch, including the yo-yo/buzzsaw. Barry's score is low key and subtle, like the movie. Wins the award for BEST PLOT.

3. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY: Moore gives one of the best performances of his career in this film. For the first time, he is convincing as Fleming's Bond throughout the entire movie. This movie generates intrigue, and is never boring. It proves that Bond doesn't need explosions and super cars to be fun. The films 'real' feeling is what makes it better than MR, or TMWTGG. Carole Bouquet has her highs and lows, but creates a well rounded character. Kristatos and Colombo are great. It was a good idea to remember Tracy, but not to have (EoN's Blofeld characterization) in the PTS. Again, another great song. The film wins BEST PERFORMANCE BY MOORE.

4. LIVE AND LET DIE: The film might look cheap, but that's what makes it so great. This movie is the Black Sheep of the Bond films, so it's hard to compare to GF or OHMSS. The voodoo and tarot plot twists are great. So is the fact that it adapted to the 'blaxploitation' era, even though certain parts of the movie might come off as a bit racist. The action and sets aren't spectacular, but it would look absolutely stupid to have a Lotus/Submarine chase in the streets of a third world country. However, the boat chase more than makes up for lost time, even though it is a little long. Kananga and Baron Samedi rank among the best bad guys. J.W. Pepper's entrance is understandible (to balance the black/white portrayals,) but it should have been a one-time deal. The film does have many weak points, but they work well with the plot, so oh well. The title song is DEFINITELY one of the best, and shines on every level. It deserved the Oscar.
This film wins BEST PLOT TWIST.

5. MOONRAKER: This movie is absolutely breathtaking. Had certain parts and characters been edited out, it would be one of the best...but it isn't. The humour absolutely ruins this otherwise astronomical film. The pre-credit sequence (which is always a mini-summary of the movie's basic tone) is spectacular (even though it's surprisingly similar to the one in TSWLM.) Jaws' entrance is acceptible, even though it would have been much better if he was killed at the end of the sequence. Had this movie been a little bit more "grounded," it would have topped the previous film, and it did in several ways: Drax and his plan are basically more plausible versions of Stromberg. Drax is a better villain altogether. John Barry's score is a "moonraker" is it's own right. It is perfect...period. The locations are breathtaking, including Rio De Janeiro, Iguacu Falls and Venice, as well as the "Santa Claus" Monastery. Moore gives his second best performance as Bond. The film simply boils over with too much...everything. The film wins MOST SPECTACULAR.

6. A VIEW TO A KILL: This movie is the classic case of "GREAT MOVIE--BAD BOND MOVIE." AVTAK clobbers other action movies of its era, and is certainly overlooked. Like Moonraker, an overdose of comedy swallows the film whole, and ruins the otherwise outstanding scenes. The PTS, which is always a barometer for the film, is great, except for the infamous "California Girls" bit. The film has a good plot, and a great cast to hold it up. Christopher Walken is chilling, and Grace Jones shines as MayDay. Patrick Macnee is a great supporting cast member, who is, like the movie, overlooked. I don't think anything needs to be said about Tanya Roberts as Stacy Sutton. She's simply "GEOLOGIST BARBIE--TALENT SOLD SEPARATELY." One small aspect of this film that isn't that apparent in many other Bond films is that James actually shows off his spy training. Instead of just gluing string to a door, or checking a room for bugs, the tape recorder/balcony bit was genius, even more-so was when Bond stayed alive by using the air in the tires. The Golden Gate Bridge was the BEST LOCATION, perhaps in any Bond movie. The sequence, combined with John Barry's phenomenal score made a short, concise climactic battle into a classic Moore scene. When compared to other BOND films, it's bad, but in no way a bad movie in general. This movie wins MOST OVERLOOKED .

7. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN: Most of what I have to say about this movie has already. It sucks. Everything that's good about this movie is hardly used to it's full potential. Had the story been centered completely on Scaramanga hunting down Bond, and had some better locations, production design, less slapping around, a better Bond girl, a less grouchy M, a less b*tchy Moneypenny (seems like she had PMS,) a more helpful Q, no Karate Schools, no worthless sidekicks who drive away to leave you to fend for yourself, no Hai Fat, no Solex, no cheesy sound f/x over spectacular car stunts, less tacky-looking transportation......the list goes on and on, which just proves why this movie is so bad. This film wins BEST OF THE WORST. (sorry Loomis)

#253 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:29 PM

3. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY: ...This movie generates intrigue, and is never boring...

I'd take issue with that statement. FYEO is a snooze fest from beginning to end.

#254 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:31 AM

I'd take issue with that statement. FYEO is a snooze fest from beginning to end.

Overall, it does seem occasionally slow compared to some of the others.

Wouldn't say the entire film is a bore.

#255 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:58 AM

Well, I was being overly dramatic, but you get the idea. There's a few moments where it's decent (ski chase is alright, rock climbing), but there's only several of those moments and otherwise it puts me to sleep. And it's not the fact that I can't stand a good basic spy movie, because I can (FRWL and TLD are among my favorites in the series). This one just isn't very entertaining.

Edited by Harmsway, 10 August 2004 - 03:01 PM.

#256 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:59 AM

And it's not the fact that I can't stand a good basic spy movie, because I can (FRWL and TLD are among my favorites in the series). This one just isn't very entertaining.

I can agree with that then. Of those two, and this film, From Russia With Love and The Living Daylights seem to be better spy themed films, with clearer cut plots and flow, even if such the plot in The Living Daylights is a tricky one.

#257 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:00 AM

All-right, FYEO might be a Bond movie to pop in the DVD player while doing household work, but the entire movie is intriguing. Unfortunately, sometimes intriguing translates to boring, like with certain parts of FRWL. I do agree that TLD was the best "Spy" film in recent years.

#258 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:04 AM

All-right, FYEO might be a Bond movie to pop in the DVD player while doing household work, but the entire movie is intriguing. Unfortunately, sometimes intriguing translates to boring, like with certain parts of FRWL. I do agree that TLD was the best "Spy" film in recent years.

I wouldn't say For Your Eyes Only is that boring a movie at all, just sometimes one of the lesser ones.

It does have it's intriguing parts though.

#259 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:18 AM

I think that the most boring Bond film would have to be TWINE, or parts of DN (which can't be blamed, since it was the first film and all.)

#260 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:19 AM

How about the other films. Were my judgements adaquate, or was there anything else?

#261 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:27 AM

How about the other films. Were my judgements adaquate, or was there anything else?

For the most part, I agree with most of your rankings.

#262 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:18 PM

I would. The entire film is a bore.

#263 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

I think that the most boring Bond film would have to be TWINE, or parts of DN (which can't be blamed, since it was the first film and all.)

Dr. No isn't all that boring when you think about it. It's low key for sure, but there really aren't any stops in it once it gets going.

#264 MillesGloriosus

MillesGloriosus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

Although my avatar suggests otherwise, I think Live and Let Die is the best.

It's interesting to see 007 compete with Shaft and Superfly in the early 1970s.

#265 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

Hmm, current rankings then?

Seems like some might have moved a bit for me.

1.The Spy Who Loved Me
2. Moonraker
3. Octopussy
4. Live And Let Die
5. For Your Eyes Only
6. The Man With The Golden Gun
7. A View To A Kill

#266 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:15 AM

I still don't see how TMWTGG ranks over AVTAK. I can't see any parts of the "Golden Gun" that AVTAK doesn't equal, or even top. Both had good villains and so-so henchmen, but Zorin was a more developed character, whose death at the top of the Golden Gate bridge was a lot more satisfying than Scaramanga being shot. (What did he expect? James hasn't fallen for your tricks, so he's clearly smart, and you walk right in front of a mannequin that looks like your target?)

#267 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:21 AM

I still don't see how TMWTGG ranks over AVTAK. I can't see any parts of the "Golden Gun" that AVTAK doesn't equal, or even top. Both had good villains and so-so henchmen, but Zorin was a more developed character, whose death at the top of the Golden Gate bridge was a lot more satisfying than Scaramanga being shot. (What did he expect? James hasn't fallen for your tricks, so he's clearly smart, and you walk right in front of a mannequin that looks like your target?)

I'm not basing it solely on the villains and how they died. Overall, I feel The Man With The Golden Gun is a more exotic Bond film with some great travelogue. I'm not a fan of Mary Goodnight, no Stacey Sutton, but I prefer Sutton.

I enjoy both films, but The Man With The Golden Gun slightly more.

#268 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:18 AM

I agree with you on all points...Except I really enjoy For Your Eyes Only. What more dastardly plot is there than the attempt to nuke all of Britains major cities.

#269 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:46 PM

I've just bought Live and Let Die on DVD, let's see how I will like it now. It was a while since I saw it.

#270 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:55 PM

Live And Let Die is a fantastic Bond film in it's own right. When compared with GF or OHMSS, of course it's going to seem pretty bad, but that's because it's in its own Bond Genre. The production value in this film looks cheap, but the cheapness of it works a lot more with the story than that of TMWTGG. Also, like Moonraker copied many of the scenes from TSWLM, TMWTGG copied a lot of the aspects of LALD, with no success.