• PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

The house, as published in the Kleine Zeitung:

726_haus_brunner.jpg

Source: http://www.kleinezei...ne-stehen.story

Update: here are more views of the house:

http://www.brunnerph...ertilliach.html

BTW, here http://www.krone.at/...07-Story-422137 they say that the scene shot in Obertillach should be about 25 min. length. Hints to a PTS, maybe?

Looking at some details of that house, it doesn't look as if this was build to be anywhere else but in Austria - okay, maybe somewhere else in the Alps, like south Germany or Switzerland - but doubling for Norway/Spitsbergen seems unlikely.

#62 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Fully agreed Stromberg. This does look like a generic log cabin in the Alps.

#63 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm surprised how huge this structure looks. That's three full storeys, the cellar - partially dug into the hill as is the practice in the Alps - and the attic. Quite a chalet, I expected a much smaller building when I read cabin.

#64 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

I'm surprised how huge this structure looks. That's three full storeys, the cellar - partially dug into the hill as is the practice in the Alps - and the attic. Quite a chalet, I expected a much smaller building when I read cabin.

There are cabins and cabins. This is the latter.

#65 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

There are cabins and cabins. This is the latter.

This could be a line of dialogue...

#66 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

This would be a natural opportunity for a Roger Moore cameo. He's a big skiing fan, isn't he? I seem to recall reading that he lived in a chalet in Davos for many years. It would be cool to put him in the background in one of the skiing scenes, wearing his white fur-trimmed parka from AVTAK or the blue one from FYEO. It would make a fun freeze-frame gag. 

#67 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:20 PM

I'd actually like that, just a brief moment with him in the background, no dialogue, just him watching the action.

#68 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

A subtle Moore cameo would be cool.

#69 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

I guess I'll be the one to go against the grain and say that I wouldn't like to see a Moore cameo, or a cameo by any of the other Bond actors for that matter.  That's something that EON might have been able to get away with if the films hadn't already become so self-referential that some segments almost border on parody, but since we've reached that point, Bond 24 needs to be the beginning of a movement away from that.  There needs to be no references, no cameos, no subtle nods to the previous films (unless it's a continuation of Quantum and/or Vesper, as those originated with Craig), in Bond 24.  The films need to start making their own iconic moments rather than simply reminding us every couple of years of the iconic moments that the series created a long, long time ago.

#70 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

The films need to start making their own iconic moments rather than simply reminding us every couple of years of the iconic moments that the series created a long, long time ago.

I couldn't agree with you more.

#71 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:58 AM

Yes, as I've said before it's time we entered a new age of modern Bond iconography. Let's see what they can cook up on their own.

#72 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:31 AM

I'd actually welcome a Moore cameo, or any cameo in general. If you can't remember where you came from and have a laugh with it, I believe you are taking yourself too seriously.

#73 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

Well, it's highly unlikely to happen anyway, I suppose it's simply not the direction Eon is headed in right now. The ultimate cameo was the GOLDFINGER DB5. I feel they are done with that for now.

Edited by Dustin, 13 October 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#74 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

I guess I'll be the one to go against the grain and say that I wouldn't like to see a Moore cameo, or a cameo by any of the other Bond actors for that matter.  That's something that EON might have been able to get away with if the films hadn't already become so self-referential that some segments almost border on parody, but since we've reached that point, Bond 24 needs to be the beginning of a movement away from that.  There needs to be no references, no cameos, no subtle nods to the previous films (unless it's a continuation of Quantum and/or Vesper, as those originated with Craig), in Bond 24.  The films need to start making their own iconic moments rather than simply reminding us every couple of years of the iconic moments that the series created a long, long time ago.

I'm with you. 

#75 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm with you. 

Me too.

#76 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

I'm just talking about a freeze-frame gag. It needn't even be Moore himself - just a tall man in a yellow jumpsuit with a red rucksack, skiing along in the background. Casual viewers would just see a random extra, but fans would spot a reference to Moore's garish outfit in the opening of TSWLM. I think it would be funny and quite subtle. It seems kind of weird to me that anyone would be bothered by such an unobtrusive gag, considering that Bond films are routinely packed with far more overt references to past films.

#77 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:25 PM

I'm just talking about a freeze-frame gag. It needn't even be Moore himself - just a tall man in a yellow jumpsuit with a red rucksack, skiing along in the background. Casual viewers would just see a random extra, but fans would spot a reference to Moore's garish outfit in the opening of TSWLM. I think it would be funny and quite subtle. It seems kind of weird to me that anyone would be bothered by such an unobtrusive gag, considering that Bond films are routinely packed with far more overt references to past films.

I suppose if it's handled the same way as Maud Adams in A View to a Kill. I mean how long did it take for anyone to realize she was in that? 20 years?

#78 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

It seems kind of weird to me that anyone would be bothered by such an unobtrusive gag, considering that Bond films are routinely packed with far more overt references to past films.

For me, it's a matter of wanting to see the new films create their own iconic moments rather than each successive film having to find a way to fit some kind of in-joke or gag into the film.  There's been far too much of that in the films as of late, especially in Skyfall.  The films are just becoming too self-referential for their own good, IMO.

#79 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

There's been far too much of that in the films as of late, especially in Skyfall.  The films are just becoming too self-referential for their own good, IMO.

It was the 50th Anniversary in Skyfall, why wouldn't they be self-referential to the prior films....

#80 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

There's been far too much of that in the films as of late, especially in Skyfall.  The films are just becoming too self-referential for their own good, IMO.

It was the 50th Anniversary in Skyfall, why wouldn't they be self-referential to the prior films....

Because they were in the 40th anniversary and the 46th too. In Quantum of Solace, they were even subtle about it.

#81 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Because they were in the 40th anniversary and the 46th too. In Quantum of Solace, they were even subtle about it.

And that's a problem? Self-referential homages, subtle or not, aren't that big of a problem. It's not like it's going to ruin someone's viewing of it.

Or will it?

#82 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

I believe, tdalton proposes that the Bond films should rather establish new things than stay in the past.  

Which would be sensible since Bond films are always carrying a legacy with them - and they will always be self-referential.  So, if they are still doing "Goldfinger"-homages in twenty years it might get a bit... um... stale.

#83 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

And that's a problem? Self-referential homages, subtle or not, aren't that big of a problem. It's not like it's going to ruin someone's viewing of it.

Or will it?

Well, when they are incredibly blatant and overused (Fields' death, throwing Haines' bodyguard off the roof). Using the Goldfinger car in SF wasn't as surprising as the DB5 had appeared in GE, TND and CR. I think Skyfall ended up being better without having Connery because it really would've been a distraction from the final act.

#84 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I can see that, but I didn't see the problem with self-references in Skyfall or Die Another Day, since they are the 40th and 50th anniversaries, respectively. However, I also don't think that each Bond film needs to self-reference every single time. Save them for special occasions, like Skyfall. 

#85 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

I guess that's fair, especially as there weren't 10th, 20th or 30th anniversary films. I just think that they tend to get silly after awhile and there is absolutely no reason that the 22nd Bond film needed to be so self-referential. Of course if it weren't, then the film probably would've been even shorter...Man my opinion on Quantum of Solace has flipped. Maybe I need to watch it again....

#86 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

The only think I remember being self-referential in Quantum Of Solace was Fields being covered in oil and her pose on the bed, mirroring that of Goldfinger. My opinion of Quantum Of Solace hasn't changed at all, and it probably won't. 

#87 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

News and photos from Obertilliach:

http://www.dolomiten...-streng-geheim/

#88 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

News and photos from Obertilliach:

http://www.dolomiten...-streng-geheim/

Thanks, Luigi.

It seems they are recruiting local help for the last week of November and the first week of December, then for 4 weeks between January and February.

They need about 150 people trained as mountain rescuers, drivers of snow groomers and craftsmen. 

#89 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Looks like they want to pay homage to OHMSS with such a big sequence in the snow.

Obviously.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 15 October 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#90 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

With this set well under way with construction and talk of needing people for the end of November/ beginning of December, perhaps Eon are going to do the start of shoot press conference on location.

Back in the day, that's how they did the press launch for films like FYEO, AVTAK and TLD. With the worlds media gathering in Corfu, Chateau Chantilly and Vienna, respectively.

I think it might be a possibility. With Mendes's approach of not wanting to talk too much about the film's content, it might go some way to keeping the journalist more occupied and give them lots to write about other than loads of 'no comment'.