http://www.timeout.c...37/skyfall.html

#122 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

WHAT NO GUNBARREL AT THE START? THAT'S IT IM NOT SEEING THIS FILM!!!!!!!!!11111111

#123 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Really looking forward to Mark Kermode and Graham Rye giving their thoughts.

Thanks for all of the links Vaux!

#124 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Daily Express review - possible spoilers
http://www.express.c...iew-and-trailer

#125 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

How are people able to review a movie that hasn't even been released yet?

Well, they watch it at a screening for the press and tell us what they thought about it.
Is that a concept that is difficult to understand?

#126 stone7

stone7

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Another 4/5. general vibe seems to be at least par with CR if not better.

Anyone able to copy paste or summarise the times review? Really want to read a 5 star review someone really really in love with the film!

#127 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Possible spoilers throughout these reviews:

Digital Spy UK
http://www.digitalsp...s-in-style.html

The Independent
http://www.independe...nd-8209843.html

#128 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

I believe the Independent confirms (unintentionally) that Adele's video does indeed possess parts of the title sequence. The hall of mirrors part is clearly visible.

#129 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

Every bondfan want the Gunbarrel at the Beginning, why they put it on the End of the Film, i want Answers from the Producers

I'm not hugely phased by this, but I think it's inevitable that Mendes or the producers will have to explain this at some point.

Sounds awesome but no gun barrel in the beginning has me upset. Silva is openly gay? That should be interesting!

I thought more people would be talking about that. Was this already widely known?

I suspected it after seeing the trailer, but I don't think it was particularly discussed since.

I wonder if this was something John Logan (who is gay) added to the character, or if it was already present before he came on board. In any event, hopefully Logan's involvement will mean Silva's sexual orientation isn't used simply as a cheap way to creep out the "straights" in the audience. (See Jonathan Demme and "Silence of the Lambs".) It's 2012, for god's sake.

#130 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Silva is gay... Interesting... No I don't have a homophobia. Just wasn't expecting that out of left park.

#131 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

The first review I opened up was the 3/5 stars, and I started to get worried about reading the others.

I like Q's exploding pen line, much like referencing the "shaken or stirred? - I don't give a damn" in CR. If Bond is just handed the signature gun, that's exactly like Q's very first introduction in Doctor No, which is cool when you think about it. In line with that spirit, but also having something to say about modern times.

Silva sounds like a powerhouse. As for the gun barrel at the end, I am surprised they went in this direction. I would've liked it at the start but I'm not furiously mad. The film does have great feedback overall. I'm optimistic about the movie.

#132 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

I think I understand the idea of the gunbarrel at the end.

Spoiler

Love the exploding pen reference though.

#133 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

We've had the " Becoming Bond" thread for the last two films, too. I think they just like capping the film with it. It did have an uplifting quality in Quantum.

#134 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Reuters review of the reviews...
http://reut.rs/RDLMiC

#135 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I think I understand the idea of the gunbarrel at the end.

I understand it too, because
Spoiler

#136 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

I think they just like capping the film with it. It did have an uplifting quality in Quantum.

Think I'm on the same page as you with this. I think having it at the end gave a real fist-pumping "hell yeah" quality to the end of QUANTUM OF SOLACE and sending people off out the theatre with a jolt, plus the producers must have really liked it. If the final scene of SKYFALL pans out as we think it will, coupled with the emotion of other parts of the movie, I honestly think it could work pretty well. Of course, having it at the start of the movie would have been great for sentimental reasons, but this could still be a nice pay-off. Let's see how it works.

#137 JazzyBond

JazzyBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Couldn't agree more Vauxhall!!

#138 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, I agree with that too. I am a bit disappointed though, but I'm wondering if Craig will ever get it at the start?

#139 Hector Pelon

Hector Pelon

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

How many times must the gunbarrel represent him "finally becoming the Bond we all know and love"? Ffs, stop making excuses for them.

I find it such a terribly dickish move also to adorn all Skyfall promotional posters with the traditional gunbarrel as if to say "don't worry folks, normal service will be resumed".

#140 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

No Gun Barrel at the beginning! BOYCOTT!

#141 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, I agree with that too. I am a bit disappointed though, but I'm wondering if Craig will ever get it at the start?

I'd rather they leave it at the end now, to be honest, at least for Craig's films.

#142 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I think they just like capping the film with it. It did have an uplifting quality in Quantum.

Think I'm on the same page as you with this. I think having it at the end gave a real fist-pumping "hell yeah" quality to the end of QUANTUM OF SOLACE and sending people off out the theatre with a jolt, plus the producers must have really liked it. If the final scene of SKYFALL pans out as we think it will, coupled with the emotion of other parts of the movie, I honestly think it could work pretty well. Of course, having it at the start of the movie would have been great for sentimental reasons, but this could still be a nice pay-off. Let's see how it works.

I guess I can understand the thinking here. The gun barrel in QoS gives the sentiment that all is well in the world. Bond has won, and visually stating "James Bond will return". Overall though, as I've said, I'm optimistic about the movie. It seem to have a good mix of classic and new, which I like. The Craig version of classic. And let's remember, there's a lot more going on in the 2 hours 25 minutes than this. Though knowing it's there or not, I wouldn't walk out saying "what a fantastic Bond movie, but the gun barrel at the end ruined everything".

#143 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

WOW Tons of reviews, my goodness and I didn't find to many of them that spoiler-ish at all.

Spoiler

Does this put the rumors to rest?

#144 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

I guess I can understand the thinking here. The gun barrel in QoS gives the sentiment that all is well in the world. Bond has won, and visually stating "James Bond will return". Overall though, as I've said, I'm optimistic about the movie. It seem to have a good mix of classic and new, which I like. The Craig version of classic. And let's remember, there's a lot more going on in the 2 hours 25 minutes than this. Though knowing it's there or not, I wouldn't walk out saying "what a fantastic Bond movie, but the gun barrel at the end ruined everything".

Yeah, I really can't comprehend how people can wait four years for a movie, then seriously consider not going to see it for such a reason, but never mind. It was noticeable on Twitter that of the dozens of reviews from people who went to see it, only two commented about the gunbarrel; the general public aren't fussed. We're getting a really good chunk of the traditional elements back in this film, so I'm happy to spare this one. I understand people will be disappointed though.

WOW Tons of reviews, my goodness and I didn't find to many of them that spoiler-ish at all.

Spoiler

Does this put the rumors to rest?

Yep, and Baz Bamigboye confirms his exclusive in the Daily Mail way back when was spot on. Harris will return. Noticeably very, very few references to Fiennes' character. Fair play to the papers for keeping coy.

#145 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

"Were you expecting an exploding pen?" -Q

Is that a GE joke? Well I'm all for a GE reference and I would have also accepted; "Were you expecting an acid pen with earpiece?" Octopussy

Seems like the throwbacks or whatever you will call them come more in the form of one liners this time around.

#146 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

Alright...I've calmed down (somewhat) over the gunbarrel issue (EON, you BETTER fix this for Bond 24!! :P) and am now genuinely and insanely EXCITED for Skyfall...wonderful to see all the positive reviews come gushing in!!

#147 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

The gunbarrel is where? What the f

Seriously. A reviews thread and a gunbarrel argument broke out. I like it at the front as much as anyone else, but sometimes I wonder if some of us leave after the gunbarrel!!! QoS must have been a nightmare for some of us, having to sit through some film before getting our gunbarrel. And now EON have done it again. And this time we've got to sit through a 2-1/2 plus film with some guy who keeps introducing himself in an awkward way (Attack, Plank Attack - who talks like that?) and some other people that only have initials for names? What is this, some weird Kubrick movie?

I'm thrilled that the reviews are great and I'm really pleased that gunbarrel aside, they're staying spoiler-free, but could we please have two separate threads - one for a gunbarrel rant and one for the reviews? Moderators? Anyone? Bueller?

BTW, am I the only one who thinks:
Spoiler

#148 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

The whole gunbarrel thing is annoying to me in that the producers seem to understand the significance of the gunbarrel (hence the images of it running through EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF PROMOTION for the film) but yet not understand it. Fans didn't like the placement at the end of QoS. Sure, there were a few who either didn't care or sort of got used to it, but the majority wanted it back for this film. The reactions for its placement in Skyfall are overwhelmingly negative. The only reactions that the producers could say are "positive" are from the people who don't care. There is not a sizable part of Bond fans who are openly excited for it to be in the end.

So, what exactly is the reason they did this?

PS: I'm glad the reviews are good. But oddly this news overshadows it. I know it is crazy to say, but really, I already expected this movie to be good.

#149 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Spoiler

Any guess at what that might be....

#150 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

I have to say, having read more of these reviews than I wish I had -- I swear I can stop... Although, maybe just one more -- the most surprising thing to me is the confirmation of the ejector seat. I know it's been bandied about since the "little red button" teaser clip, but somehow I simply refused to believe that the ejector seat could make an appearance in the more "realistic" Craig era. Isn't the DB5 meant to be Bond's private ride? Even if it's a "company car", an ejector seat, really? I can only hope that, in context, it makes sense. And, judging by the reviews, it's a crowd-pleasing moment...