This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1831 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

"Last year we were asked to write a theme tune for the Bond movie Spectre.
Yes we were. It didn't work out, but became something of our own, which we love very much.

As the year closes we thought you might like to hear it.
Merry Christmas. May the force be with you."

SPECTRE

I'm lost, I'm a ghost
Dispossessed, taken host
My hunger burns a bullet hole
A spectre of my mortal soul

These rumors and suspicion
Anger is a poison
The only truth that I could see
Is when you put your lips to me
Futures tricked by the past
Spectre, how he laughs

Fear puts a spell on us
Always second-guessing love
My hunger burns a bullet hole
A spectre of my mortal soul

The only truth that I can see
Spectre has come for me

lyrics by Thom Yorke

#1832 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

We've been talking about this in the "Writing's on the Wall" thread.

It's tremendously better than what we got. It's easy to see why Sony and EON would want something with commercial appeal, something Radiohead's theme lacks, but I wish they'd had the courage to push ahead with this.

#1833 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

So much better, and works cinematically in a way that the Smith one doesn't.

#1834 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

I don't think anyone is trying to.

You did when you questioned whether I was actually a fan since "Spectre" is similar to a lot of stuff on King of Limbs. "Soundscapes and mood" may be what Radiohead do now, but it's not all they've ever done.

No, I asked what I asked: which was whether you've heard any of their recent stuff, as Spectre sits alongside that. That's a completely different suggestion from saying their old and new stuff is the 'exact same style'. 

#1835 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

You did when you questioned whether I was actually a fan since "Spectre" is similar to a lot of stuff on King of Limbs. "Soundscapes and mood" may be what Radiohead do now, but it's not all they've ever done.

No, I asked what I asked: which was whether you've heard any of their recent stuff, as Spectre sits alongside that. That's a completely different suggestion from saying their old and new stuff is the 'exact same style'. 

You asked if I was a Radiohead fan, to which I responded yes, but that I wasn't necessarily the biggest fan of their most recent album, whose material "Spectre" closely resembles. I put forth "Big Boots" (a song from the mid-90s, and hence more in line with my preferred Radiohead era) as an alternative for what a Radiohead-penned Bond theme could sound like.

#1836 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

Found it to be a right royal drag.

Just more of their rather typical, 'music to die by'.

In my humblest of opinions, of course.

#1837 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

That was crap. Even with title visuals ( nice job btw)

#1838 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Maybe Writing's on the Wall isn't a good Bond song, but it seems to have been the best choice available.  It's too bad the producers didn't opt for a big main title theme and then have a ballad (like WOTW) over the closing credits.  When a "rejected" Bond song surfaces, while some are interesting and good, most of the time it seems the right song was chosen. 

While Ace of Base, Blondie, and Alice Cooper gave us interesting alt Bond titles, their competition at the time was better (although in Lulu's case this has more to do with Barry integrating the title song into the score of TMWTGG than the song itself.)  The only exceptions to this are David Arnold's songs--Surrender and No Good About Goodbye being clearly better than the main titles chosen.  I could live with another Thomas Newman score if the producers at least tapped David Arnold to write the next Bond song.

But this Radiohead entry....not distinctive at all.  At least Sam Smith had some Bondian buildup and a melody, which renders it as not a bad instrumental either, nor song for that matter.  Just not Bond.

#1839 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

I tend to prefer Radiohead's music anyway, and I like the orchestration - but, irrespective of whether it's an improvement on Sam Smith, I would have been equally disappointed if this had been unveiled as the SPECTRE theme back in October.

#1840 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

I think Radiohead's offering makes WotW sound more like the right choice.

#1841 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:54 AM

You asked if I was a Radiohead fan, to which I responded yes, but that I wasn't necessarily the biggest fan of their most recent album, whose material "Spectre" closely resembles. I put forth "Big Boots" (a song from the mid-90s, and hence more in line with my preferred Radiohead era) as an alternative for what a Radiohead-penned Bond theme could sound like.

So where did I try to argue that they're the exact same style of music? I have no idea what you're on about.

#1842 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:01 AM

When it comes to the choice of the theme tune for the new film, knowing what we now know, the words "rock" and "hard place" seem apt.

#1843 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

Assuming the Del Rey track was an actual submission, I think EON turned down two tracks that were superior to what we got.

I don't think either of the rejected tracks were brilliant, but WOTW is so offensively bad that almost anything is an improvement.

#1844 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Assuming the Del Rey track was an actual submission, I think EON turned down two tracks that were superior to what we got.
I don't think either of the rejected tracks were brilliant, but WOTW is so offensively bad that almost anything is an improvement.

until you hear the horrid Radiohead piece.

#1845 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

Let's put it like this: all three artists are somewhat controversial; all three* have shown in the past that they can do better. Why they didn't is anybody's guess.

*That is if we want to include Del Rey's effort as 'rejected' which I don't think was confirmed anywhere; in which case it's just a song that's easier on some people's ears than WOTW.

#1846 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

until you hear the horrid Radiohead piece.

Radiohead's one is so much better.

#1847 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:22 AM

I'm no Sam Smith defender, but I really don't know what kind of appeal this Radiohead song can generate!

Either you're a fan of the band and you're trying to defend their rep or you can't seriously consider this for a Bond theme!!!

The only thing I can think the title sequence would be able to reproduce from this would be Bond lying on the floor with a hangover trying to get up but all f*** up.

I'm sorry but maybe it's too "alternative" for me. After all let's not forget Bond songs always try to reach for big audiences and not to satisfy culturally educated music connoisseurs or some kind of elite canon.

Anyway... Happy New Year to all!  ;)

#1848 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

Either you're a fan of the band and you're trying to defend their rep or you can't seriously consider this for a Bond theme!!!

Not really a Radiohead fan, but this so much more appropriate for not only the film but also Craig's portrayal of Bond. Ruthless and detached, yet with a Svengali-like pull on those around him. And that Johnny Greenwood instrumental break at the 1:35 mark is f*cking fantastic. Makes the orchestration on WOTW sound limp and by-the-numbers in comparison.

#1849 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

I think Radiohead's offering makes WotW sound more like the right choice.

I agree. I've come to like Writing's on the Wall, especially in comparison to this dirge by Radiohead. I prefer the Sam Smith melody. I'm not upset about this at all, whereas I think No Good About Goodbye was a missed opportunity for QoS.

#1850 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Whatever else its faults may be, WOTW at least has that melody going for it. It may be a very slapdash affair Smith composed in a minimum of time - and falling back on his signature ability - but it's at least a melody that sticks. Radiohead's is an entirely different thingy, and it largely lacks just that melodic quality, but most likely that's on purpose.

#1851 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

It goes to show that you can´t please everybody.  Somebody has to make a choice, and that has to be, of course, the creative side of things.

Personally, I think Radiohead´s song would have been just as hated and ridiculed as Smith´s song.  It´s just not a strong melody with the kind of Bond traditionalism that the mass audience expects.  If Smith´s song had not used any falsetto and been accompanied by a rhythm section people would have loved it, IMO.  To use the falsetto and strip it of a rhythm section was as bold as one can get with a Bond song at this point, it seems.

#1852 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Whatever else its faults may be, WOTW at least has that melody going for it.

Indeed.

#1853 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Not really a Radiohead fan, but this so much more appropriate for not only the film but also Craig's portrayal of Bond. Ruthless and detached, yet with a Svengali-like pull on those around him. And that Johnny Greenwood instrumental break at the 1:35 mark is f*cking fantastic. Makes the orchestration on WOTW sound limp and by-the-numbers in comparison.
Yup.

#1854 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

*That is if we want to include Del Rey's effort as 'rejected' which I don't think was confirmed anywhere; in which case it's just a song that's easier on some people's ears than WOTW.

"Nevertheless, on December 10, NME reports that Lana Del Rey said the rumors were completely false — but she would have gladly done the Spectre theme song if asked. Instead, it appears that it was Radiohead (and not Lana Del Rey) that recorded a sample theme song but Spectre never used it."

Let's put it like this: all three artists are somewhat controversial; all three* have shown in the past that they can do better. Why they didn't is anybody's guess.

All three songs are underwhelming. The Radiohead instrumental break at 1:35 is good enough, but the whole "song" is limp - not much melody is there? - and like Smith, Yorke's voice is too high. Only Del Rey has the right voice.

#1855 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

I'm no Sam Smith defender, but I really don't know what kind of appeal this Radiohead song can generate!

No, I haven't enjoyed anything by Radiohead for years, but this is just a more mature and moody piece of work. Far more cinematic than the Smith one and actually evokes something of an emotional response. And yeah, as Shark says, the instrumental break is brilliant.

It wouldn't have got to number one though, and perhaps that's more important for the Bond team. Shame.

#1856 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Not a huge fan of WOTW. But how anyone can prefer Radiohead's theme over WOTW is beyond my understanding.

#1857 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

It's all about tastes and preferences, really not much to argue about.

Thanks for clearing that up about Del Rey, glidrose.

#1858 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

It's a shame that these were the two songs that EON had to choose from for SPECTRE.  Either way they went they were getting a poor song.  Ultimately, though, I think they chose the better of the two.

#1859 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

I don't like WOTW and I'm a huge fan of Radiohead, but even I can admit that they made the right choice. 

#1860 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

No, I haven't enjoyed anything by Radiohead for years, but this is just a more mature and moody piece of work. Far more cinematic than the Smith one and actually evokes something of an emotional response. And yeah, as Shark says, the instrumental break is brilliant.

I haven't enjoyed anything by Radiohead for years either. Don't know what happened to them. Their early accessible work has some fantastic music & melodies. As for their more recent work, I feel like you need to be a heroin addict to get anything from it.