This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

513 replies to this topic

Poll: Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If Idris Elba is announced as the next James Bond...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is it basically too early to be asking about the next Bond, whoever it is?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Interesting.............. I would first pick maybe Michael Fassbender as being James Bond.

He'd be a good follow up to Craig IMO. He was quoted as saying that X-Men First Class and his work in Haywire were all but his auditions to be the next Bond. I enjoy his work.

#392 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have absolutely no problem with Idris Elba being Bond. While the Bond of the novels is a white man, that doesn't mean the man playing him in the films has to be. The Bond of the novels didn't play for laughs, yet Moore did. The only requirement I have for the actor playing Bond is talent; Idris Elba has the talent to play Bond. While Elba will be 50 by the time Craig vacates the role, he doesn't really look all that old. Sure, his hair has gone grey, but that can be fixed. I'm not going to sit here and call those of you against the casting of a non-white actor racist, but to discriminate someone purely on their skin color doesn't paint you in the best light. 

Frankly, Elba hasn't even played the role - and might never do so - and yet I find him a more convincing Bond than Moore or Brosnan. 

However, to each his own. Certainly, EON will find the right man to play the role,no matter his race.

#393 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

Well stated dlb007, and agreed. Any good actor can do a role well. This certainly isn't about race by any means. However, Bond's race and character is what it is. I've greatly enjoyed Elba's acting and work. He's Damn good, but, given the precedent of actors who have played the role and the character, sadly, he just doesn't fit into the role and it's certainly not his fault. We're born as we are.

Bond is forever to be how he was described in terms of race and nationality and heritage. Bond himself (per Fleming) knew he had Scots blood and still never felt like a Brit. He'll forever be a man in his late 30's-early 40's and a white male both in the cinema and in any further printed fiction. 

Although, if it should happen as time presses on, I'll roll with it. As long as Bond is BOND, I'm happy. 

#394 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

Gentlemen, it goes without saying no member of CBn has to state the obvious. We are not - and never will be - a home for racists. Regardless of our personal opinion on this specific matter. The frequently seen explanation is insofar not necessary.

Thank you.

Edited by Dustin, 29 December 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#395 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

As long as the character stays a British national. The one and only absolute.

#396 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

I have absolutely no problem with Idris Elba being Bond. While the Bond of the novels is a white man, that doesn't mean the man playing him in the films has to be. The Bond of the novels didn't play for laughs, yet Moore did. The only requirement I have for the actor playing Bond is talent; Idris Elba has the talent to play Bond. While Elba will be 50 by the time Craig vacates the role, he doesn't really look all that old. Sure, his hair has gone grey, but that can be fixed. I'm not going to sit here and call those of you against the casting of a non-white actor racist, but to discriminate someone purely on their skin color doesn't paint you in the best light. 

Frankly, Elba hasn't even played the role - and might never do so - and yet I find him a more convincing Bond than Moore or Brosnan. 

However, to each his own. Certainly, EON will find the right man to play the role,no matter his race.

Very well said.

Considering that Elba won't ever be Bond, as the age factor so clearly works against him that this whole discussion is rather pointless.  How it's gone on for 14 pages is beyond me.

That said, there will eventually be a black Bond.  Elba, were he 7-10 years younger, could have potentially been the ideal candidate for it, even though I'm not particularly convinced of that but others sure seem to be, but he's not 7-10 years younger so its a moot point.  But, there will eventually be a candidate that fits the bill from a talent and age perspective, and at that point I'd approach the new film in the same way that I do every Bond film and, more specifically, those that feature a new Bond.  I'll wish him well and hope that he has as much success or more than his predecessors have had in the role.

#397 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

Idris Elba        ✔ @idriselba
Isn't 007 supposed to handsome? Glad you think I've got a shot!  Happy New year people. 
12:12 PM - 27 Dec 2014

#398 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

I read Elba say in a print interview in 2012 that he didn't want to comment much on the speculation as he didn't want Barbara Brocolli to think he was 'self-campaigning' (yes - his word). It's interesting that all he has to do is tweet about it and it's caused all this. If that isn't campaigning, I don't know what is.

#399 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

I read Elba say in a print interview in 2012 that he didn't want to comment much on the speculation as he didn't want Barbara Brocolli to think he was 'self-campaigning' (yes - his word). It's interesting that all he has to do is tweet about it and it's caused all this. If that isn't campaigning, I don't know what is.

I think beacause of all the speculation and talk he's just throwing himself out there as a sort of gag.

#400 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

...Actually this current bout of speculation came about before his tweet (after certain emails leaked, which I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss here)...his tweet was a reaction to the current speculation, and came a couple of days after most articles were written for and against (including Rush Limbaugh's insistance that Bond must remain white and Scottish.)

#401 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

This has been a thread about whether a person from a particular racial background could be James Bond, but if you think about it we've ranged beyond that into age, nationality and social background - at least I've touched on class with the "can Connery really be Bond?" question from way back in 1961-62.

Thinking about it, with the possible exception of David Niven, none of the people who have played 007 on screen reflected him in terms of social class and/or nationality. Connery - Scottish certainly, but definitely not public school. Lazenby - Australian. Moore - son of a policeman, not usually the background of an upper bracket public school pupil. Dalton - Welsh born, Derbyshire raised, attended grammar school in Belper. Brosnan - proud son of Ireland. Craig - son of a publican and a teacher, from Liverpool.

None of the above were Eton/Fettes or similar in background. And it didn't matter. I dare say then that a Bond of a different nationality or racial background wouldn't matter either - provided that person could act, was suitable for the part and could play Bond convincingly. Race, social background, nationality, shouldn't be a consideration - the important point is whether the actor auditioning for the role can play the role.

Even age wasn't a consideration when Roger Moore was cast - Sean Connery stood down for a brand new Bond three years older than he was! And going back to social class the only contemporary Bond actor who comes close to Bond's school background is Toby Stephens, who played him on Radio 4 - and I'm sure he was cast only because he can act and could play Bond convincingly - and in the end, these are the only qualifications for the role that should matter.

#402 Alexander

Alexander

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

This has been a thread about whether a person from a particular racial background could be James Bond, but if you think about it we've ranged beyond that into age, nationality and social background - at least I've touched on class with the "can Connery really be Bond?" question from way back in 1961-62.

Thinking about it, with the possible exception of David Niven, none of the people who have played 007 on screen reflected him in terms of social class and/or nationality. Connery - Scottish certainly, but definitely not public school. Lazenby - Australian. Moore - son of a policeman, not usually the background of an upper bracket public school pupil. Dalton - Welsh born, Derbyshire raised, attended grammar school in Belper. Brosnan - proud son of Ireland. Craig - son of a publican and a teacher, from Liverpool.

None of the above were Eton/Fettes or similar in background. And it didn't matter. I dare say then that a Bond of a different nationality or racial background wouldn't matter either - provided that person could act, was suitable for the part and could play Bond convincingly. Race, social background, nationality, shouldn't be a consideration - the important point is whether the actor auditioning for the role can play the role.

Even age wasn't a consideration when Roger Moore was cast - Sean Connery stood down for a brand new Bond three years older than he was! And going back to social class the only contemporary Bond actor who comes close to Bond's school background is Toby Stephens, who played him on Radio 4 - and I'm sure he was cast only because he can act and could play Bond convincingly - and in the end, these are the only qualifications for the role that should matter.

This is, of course, the correct answer.

And as it goes, you can't underestimate the extent to which a Bond actor needs to be able to play Posh. The question isnt whether Idris Elba is a fine actor or a handsome figure of a man. Its whether an audience can accept him as a high born sophisticate who occasionally has to kill people. Same goes for Fassbender, Friend, Cavill or whoever else gets the part.

(PS, this is a genuine opinion, not the evr so slightly inebriated attempt at Merry Christmas agent provacateur activity I posted the other night)

Edited by Alexander, 30 December 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#403 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

OK guys - something interesting to share with you guys.

My oldest daughter is nearly 9 and my youngest is 6. They have seen a couple of the James Bond movies and are aware that different actors play the part from time to time. Well I googled a picture of Idris Elba and called my kids over to look at it. I said "This guy here might be playing James Bond when Daniel Craig finishes."

My oldest kid just said "He looks cool!", my youngest kid nodded sagely and then they ran back to the X-Box. 

That's all that was said. Three words. "He looks cool". 

Not "He's black". 

I was very proud of my kids for that and I wish society and other Bond fans would adopt the same attitude. 

#404 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

My oldest daughter is nearly 9 and my youngest is 6. They have seen a couple of the James Bond movies and are aware that different actors play the part from time to time. Well I googled a picture of Idris Elba and called my kids over to look at it. I said "This guy here might be playing James Bond when Daniel Craig finishes."

My oldest kid just said "He looks cool!", my youngest kid nodded sagely and then they ran back to the X-Box. 

Not "He's black". 

I was very proud of my kids for that and I wish society and other Bond fans would adopt the same attitude. 

I don´t know what I find worse: You thinking this is interesting or that you show films to children that they are way to young for...

#405 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:11 AM

Not "He's black". 

I don´t know what I find worse: You thinking this is interesting or that you show films to children that they are way to young for...

It depends on the James Bond films being shown. I saw most of the films around the ages of 7 and 8, and that is what probably helped make me a life long fan of the series, obviously this didn't include films like License to Kill when I was younger but most of the Moore films and the less dark Connery films can probably make acceptable viewing for most children over the age of 5 (especially given how subdued the violence is compared to most modern media.)

#406 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:29 AM

Not "He's black". 

It depends on the James Bond films being shown. I saw most of the films around the ages of 7 and 8, and that is what probably helped make me a life long fan of the series, obviously this didn't include films like License to Kill when I was younger but most of the Moore films and the less dark Connery films can probably make acceptable viewing for most children over the age of 5 (especially given how subdued the violence is compared to most modern media.)

Call my parents irresponsible, but I had seen every single Bond film up to the current one (GE) by the time I was 6  B)

#407 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

Not "He's black". 

Skylla I don't know what I find worse. The way you are ignoring the core point I'm trying to make, or that you'd judge a complete stranger on their parenting skills. 

Not that I have to explain myself to you - but I saw a load of these movies when I was my kids ages (as I'm sure many others on here did too) cause they were seen as family entertainment when I was a nipper. And I've only allowed my kids to watch a select few of them. It's not like I'm letting them watch Licence To Kill or anything.

Please dude, don't take me for a moron. 

#408 Alexander

Alexander

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Not "He's black". 

Skylla I don't know what I find worse. The way you are ignoring the core point I'm trying to make, or that you'd judge a complete stranger on their parenting skills. 

Not that I have to explain myself to you - but I saw a load of these movies when I was my kids ages (as I'm sure many others on here did too) cause they were seen as family entertainment when I was a nipper. And I've only allowed my kids to watch a select few of them. It's not like I'm letting them watch Licence To Kill or anything.

You sound a fine parent to me.

#409 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Not "He's black". 

You sound a fine parent to me.

Thanks mate. I love how I'm criticised for showing a kid a film - yet not praised for bringing my kids up not to give a damn about the colour of someone's skin - to the point where it's not even something they notice! But that's the internet for you I suppose.

Anyway. I've said all I need to say on this subject and I feel like I should wind my neck in a little.

Just boil it down to what my original argument was before it turned into this raging debate and that argument was: These are only movies. Who cares? 

#410 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

With all the problems in the world that someone would dare to criticize someone who obviously sounds like a responsible parent for what they share with their children in this capacity has other things to contend with. I've heard preschoolers refer to Freddy Krueger and Chucky from Child's Play and all sorts of things they've seen. Take issue with those parents.

I was raised on Bond movies from when I was a preschooler. It was something I shared with my parents and other family members along with many other film experiences. Now that they're gone, I have those memories and of their support of my interest in James Bond. Now I'm a parent with a college-bound daughter who is exceptionally mature and makes great decisions. I'm a proud parent and obviously Chicken Stu is as well and has every right to share that. No reason to take personal issue that I can see.

#411 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

With all the problems in the world that someone would dare to criticize someone who obviously sounds like a responsible parent for what they share with their children in this capacity has other things to contend with. I've heard preschoolers refer to Freddy Krueger and Chucky from Child's Play and all sorts of things they've seen. Take issue with those parents.

I definitely would take issue with those parents.  If they're letting their pre-teens watch A Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play then that's some seriously poor parenting going on there.

I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive, though.  We've had this debate on CBn before, so I don't feel like really rehashing it all again, but I see where Skylla is coming from.  That said, I'm not going to criticize anyone here for their parenting skills, as that's not really fair to do across the internet since nobody really knows anybody here and all cases are different (with the exception being made for those that let their preteens watch the films you mentioned above, of course ;) ). 

I can only speak from my own perspective as someone who would be uncomfortable allowing my hypothetical children watch the Bond movies before turning at least 13.  Now, this is a problem that I don't ever anticipate having, and I do have a great deal of respect for those who do go about raising their own children and doing it responsibly, as I've found is something that is increasingly rare in this day in age.  Only speaking from my own experience, 13 would be the age at which I'd first consider letting the children I don't plan on having watch the Bond films, but then again every child is different and, sadly, I'd have to say that in my experience, I've probably come across some younger children who are far more emotionally and behaviorally mature than a lot of adults and could probably handle some of the lighter Bond fare, such as the Moore films minus Live and Let Die.

#412 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

<shyly pops in> I first saw Friday the 13th when I was 7... Dad let me <ducks out>

#413 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

I was raised on Bond movies from when I was a preschooler. It was something I shared with my parents and other family members along with many other film experiences. Now that they're gone, I have those memories and of their support of my interest in James Bond. Now I'm a parent with a college-bound daughter who is exceptionally mature and makes great decisions. I'm a proud parent and obviously Chicken Stu is as well and has every right to share that. No reason to take personal issue that I can see.

Thank you for your kind words sir. I saw plenty of old Bond movies growing up, it's a big part of my heritage being from Iver Heath where Pinewood Studios is located. 

I'm willing to bet that the person who berated me for allowing my children to watch some of these movies (and I emphasise "SOME") saw them when they were a  kid too. 

My oldest daughter tells me that kids play James Bond in the playground at school. Whilst Craig's movies are a bit more violent than say the old Connery's or Moore's (which I would have NO problem letting my kids watch) - every generation still has their own Bond and he is still a hero that appeals to all generations. I want my kids to know the Craig Bond because he is THEIR Bond much like Pierce Brosnan was mine. 

One thing I will say though, is I won't let my kids play the James Bond videogames I have. That's a no no. There is far to much emphasis on guns and shooting in those games - so much that it forms the core. 

We split things into categories in this household. We rely on the school to do the academic kind of teaching and my wife is a backup to that in that she helps them with homework and times tables and that kind of thing. I teach them about art, about culture, I show them films, play them music, take them to the cinema and to concerts. 

I'm the one who gets them Batman comics, plays them Led Zeppelin records... I get to be THAT guy! It's very cool and Bond is a big part of the education I'm trying to pass on. 

#414 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

How about ending 2014 on a friendly note?

Have a very good new year everybody - with a new Bond film coming our way and the future of the franchise looking pretty, pretty good!

#415 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Merry New Year!

#416 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

A Happy New Year Everybody!

#417 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

Merry New Year!

Saw your post and immediately glanced over to your avatar. LOL.

#418 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

Indeed, happy new year to all. I decided to post my thoughts on this topic once and move on. It's a topic which draws heated debate and I'm not terribly keen in engaging in that sort of thing at the moment. I want to focus myself on SPECTRE.

#419 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

Happy New Year - not long to go now :D

#420 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Happy new year guys! I may do may 2015 Bond marathon a month or two earlier this year than I traditionally do (November) in order to get it done before Spectre comes out. Oh yes. That would rock.