This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

513 replies to this topic

Poll: Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If Idris Elba is announced as the next James Bond...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is it basically too early to be asking about the next Bond, whoever it is?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

In my opinion, it is desirable for idris Elba to be the next James Bond.

Although, when I say desirable, what I really mean is ESSENTIAL.

There are several angles here. One is that the Bond franchise can make a contribution to the positive transformation of society. How ironic that a franchise that was once the brainchild of an apparent racist (yes, I know Ian Fleming was a product of his time...) should make a positive contribution in this regard.

But there is also a pragmatic argument that in order for the franchise to remain relevant, it needs to be bold and embrace quality talent regardless of outdated hangups.

Idris Elba MUST be the next Bond. Or I foresee disaster,

I think you donĀ“t have the right to call Fleming an apparent racist, except you knew him personally.  

#362 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

Yes, it will be a "disaster" if Bond isn't played by someone who will be 50 years old in his first film in the role.  :rolleyes:

Elba won't be Bond.  He'll be too old for the part.

#363 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

It will also be disaster if Connery doesn't play Bond. If Moore ever steps down. If Lazenby doesn't get his seven films, Brosnan isn't allowed to play till 75. Oh, and of course also if Colin Farrell, Clive Owen and Gulshan Grover don't get their chance.

Gentlemen, please consider where we are here...

#364 Alexander

Alexander

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

Skylia, a man's writings give you the mark of that man. 

Ian Fleming was a good man. But, it is impossible to read his work in its entirety and not draw the conclusion that there are racist attitudes within. He was a product of his time, its ok.

As for age, a little grey in 007's hair has never been a bad thing my book.

Idris must be Bond, or the series will die. You'll see that I'm right.

Edited by Alexander, 29 December 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#365 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have no problem with an actor crossing the 50 mark while in the role and continuing on beyond that.

However, I do have a problem with an actor beginning his tenure in the role at the age of 50.  At most, EON would get two films out of him before it was time to start looking elsewhere, as he'd be at least 57-58 years old by the time his third entry was set to arrive in theaters.

And, no, the franchise will not end because Elba isn't Bond. 

#366 Alexander

Alexander

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

To underline where I'm coming from, I am an advocate of Idris Elba because just like Barbara Broccoli, I wish for the long term perpetuation of Bond.

Incidentally, i think Daniel Craig is a fine Bond. But only because I consider him to be a white Idris Elba.

#367 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

I feel like someone needs to point out the false equivalence of arguing for a James Bond vs. a white Shaft. The blackness of Shaft is a huge part of what makes the character who he is, as well why the character was conceived. EON has given us twenty four Bond films over the last half century, while the Shaft franchise has produced four films in total, the last of which was nearly fifteen years ago. Quite frankly, when it comes to the longevity and success of the two franchises, there's no comparison.

#368 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

The Bond franchise will not face disaster if a particular actor of whatever racial background or nationality is not cast. The series has endured for over fifty years and gone through several ups and downs but nevertheless endured and at times has gone from strength to strength - such as during the current Daniel Craig era.

I've made my point already about how the next Bond actor should be cast, but I do not think that casting should be about making a point about "reflecting our changing society", one way or the other. I don't believe Sean Connery was cast to make a point that a Scottish working class bloke could equally well play an Etonian-Fettesian fictional spy. He was cast, in the end, because he impressed the producers and director that he could play the part - and given that the film Dr No was on a relatively small budget compared even with later 1960s Bonds, probably because he was a less expensive casting in 1961 than more well known names.

The 1960s was an era of social change, yet somehow I doubt that was uppermost in the minds of Messrs. Saltzman and Broccoli when casting Connery, and later Lazenby as Bond. They just wanted the right man for the part, and so it should be when Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli start casting around for Daniel Craig's successor.

#369 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

I trust Eon, in the end they always find the right man for the job. It will be no different when it comes to cast Craig's successor as Bond.

#370 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

I trust Eon, in the end they always find the right man for the job. It will be no different when it comes to cast Craig's successor as Bond.

They're good at finding the next one, but not always so good at letting go of the current (Moore's last 2).

So unless forced, i don't see them re-casting until B27. A good thing this time round as i'd like to see Craig in a couple more, so long as the gaps are short. Thankfully that takes Elba clearly out of contention.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 29 December 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#371 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

They're good at finding the next one, but not always so good at letting go of the current (Moore's last 2).

So unless forced, i don't see them re-casting until B27. A good thing this time round as i'd like to see Craig in a couple more, so long as the gaps are short. Thankfully that takes Elba clearly out of contention.

Agreed entirely  :D

And about Daniel, I can easily see him doing 2 more Bond movies. He has said that he'll keep playing the role if he feels his body can handle the physical work.

#372 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

Although I don't think Elba should be Bond - partly because Bond is white and partly because I, although a straight male, don't find him attractive - I do think Colin Salmon would have been terrific. He's a good-looking guy, with a terrific voice and good bearing. You can imagine women be charmed by him, yet at the same time, he's tall and broad enough to make a good fighter.

#373 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

There are several angles here. One is that the Bond franchise can make a contribution to the positive transformation of society. How ironic that a franchise that was once the brainchild of an apparent racist (yes, I know Ian Fleming was a product of his time...) should make a positive contribution in this regard.

But there is also a pragmatic argument that in order for the franchise to remain relevant, it needs to be bold and embrace quality talent regardless of outdated hangups.

Is this a troll account?

#374 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

The kind of people who say that idris Elba could be the next Bond don't know that Craig is signed for two more films, and that the next one without him will be around 2022, by which time Elba will be 50.

Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton AND ESPECIALLY Roger Moore were well into their forties when they took the part. 

Skyfall addressed Our Man's advancing years as part of the central plotline, and the character I assume is supposed to be in his mid-forties by now anyway. If and when Elba would take over the part - I'd assume it wouldn't be a reboot and would just continue from the last movie - and still be set in the universe created for the Daniel Craig movies (Ralph Fiennes would still be M, Ben Whishaw would still be Q and so on...) - therefore Elba's age wouldn't really be a problem and perhaps they could keep that plotline about Our Man's age going. It could actually WORK FOR the films. 

And besides, Elba looks a good ten years younger than he actually is. If he could bottle that secret and sell it he wouldn't need to act I tell you! 

Robert Downey Jr is considerably older than both Craig and Elba and he's just signed on for a load more appearances in the Marvel films as Iron Man. Age I think isn't the barrier many are making it out to be. 

Another example is Peter Capaldi. He's in his mid-late fifties and he's replaced a guy in his late twenties/early thirties as Doctor Who. That is NOT proving to be a problem and it's added a bit of gravitas to that particular show that I personally feel has been missing for a while. 

Bond suddenly being a black man should not be addressed in the film at all. When Elba walks into the office to get his mission, M should recognise him as the man he's always known - just in the same vein as the Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan days. We the audience are the only ones who notice the difference. Perhaps even have him mention Vesper or Quantum or something, or have a scene where he's looking at a picture of Judi Dench's M and being a bit melancholy.. just to drive the point further that this is the SAME guy. It would be very important to create that thread. Not that I really think the audience would need it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. 

#375 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

The flaws in talking about the above characters are that Downey is already established as Iron Man, much as Craig is already Bond. Keep the character going if audiences accept it.

As far as the Dr. Who reference, that's a character that has had numerous regenerations so that's not a problem in continuity terms. He's often bounced around from doddering old guy to young guy and so on.

If age is not a problem and he's willing to continue his stellar job, let Craig keep it as long as he desires. What's the rush to get him out the door? 

#376 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

SAF, I don't think anyone is under the misconception that a black actor would only be, "Talking jive and running around with a boom box."  We've all seen classy, intelligent, dignified black characters hundreds of times over.  Elba could easily play that type of role.

But being white IS a fundamental part of Bond's family history.  Unfortunately, his history is one that a black man would be extremely unlikely to have, even in the UK.  I don't like that fact, I think it stinks and we've got a long way to go as a race (the HUMAN race), but we're making progress.  But our upbringing and our youth largely defines who we are.  Bond comes from a background that has made him who he is.  He doesn't have that fundamental distrust of white people that most black people understandably have to one degree or another.  There are some real mean spirited bigots out there that treat black people like crap.  There are also some stealth bigots who treat black people like crap in subtle ways that most whites wouldn't notice, but a young black man would be very aware of.  That creates a little resentment, a lack of trust, and feelings that James Bond has never had in any form.  It would be a fundamental change in his character.  He would no longer be the same James Bond that we've all known and loved for decades.

Ian Fleming described Bond's appearance, and he wasn't the least bit black.  James Bond has always been a white man in the movies, keeping in line with who James Bond is in the novels.  People don't just spontaneously change ethnicities (outside of Michael Jackson, anyway).  Changing Bond's ethnicity WOULD be changing the character in a fundamental way.

This topic came up several years ago when some people wanted Colin Salmon to take over as 007.  It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now. 

As I said then, I'll say again now - I would LOVE to see a Bond spin-off with Elba playing 009.  That would be VERY cool, and it would allow EON and their production partners to put out a movie every other year at least.  They would have greater revenues, so it would be a total positive.  AND it would create a NEW, EXCITING superspy who just happens to be black.  That should be the goal - to create a new iconic character that has some color to him rather than trying to retcon a white iconic character and make him black for PC & PR reasons (the absolute worst reasons to make that kind of change).

YES, casting a black actor to play Bond would get HUGE coverage in the media, but then what?  What if the movie flopped?  Or what if the 2nd movie witha that actor flopped after the novelty wore off?  Would the story then become, "BOND FANS ARE RACISTS"?  And what about recasting once Elba (or any black actor) left the role?  Can you imagine the cries of, "RACISM," if they recast a white actor back in the role?  Think about it, EON would be painting themselves into a corner by casting a black actor in the role, potentially ending the series if the public didn't accept a Black Bond.  They'd have to wait a decade or so and reboot again to get away with casting a white actor in the role after a black actor played Bond.  As a Bond fan I don't want to wait 8 or 10 years between Bond movies.  The five year wait from LTK to GE was far too long for me.  Waiting even longer would be really bad.

I still maintain that a NEW Double-00 played by Elba or someone like that would be a win/win for everyone involved.  EON gets a 2nd property, and the world gets a new iconic character that just happens to be black.  Awesome for everyone.  Isn't that preferable?

Since James Bond is a fantasy character in a fantasy world - why can't it be set in a world without this so called "blacks mistrust of white people" you speak of? Why can't people just go to the movies and have a good time without being whacked around the head with that kind of thing? 

And whilst you argue that our man hasn't changed "ethnicities" before - you have to consider that he has been played by a Scot, two Englishmen, an Australian, a Welshman and an Irishman. No one seemed to mind about that but that is five different RACES right there. 

A 009 spin off would be more a negative PC move that having an actual black man as the Main Man - because many would probably perceive THAT more as the Eon people trying to tick boxes. That would still have separatist connotations. 

And then you speak of the coverage in the media such a casting would generate. Why would it all have to be about political correctness?!? Skin colour is just that. SKIN COLOUR. Underneath we are ALL THE SAME. Rather than a negative PC move I'd like to think the casting of a black man as Bond could be very positive. Maybe it could promote the idea of an EQUAL world, and could hopefully go a long way toward SMASHING the institutional racism that still sadly exists in our society. 

Why can't it be about SMASHING barriers rather than drawing attention to them? 

A public that doesn't want to accept a black Bond? They DESERVE to be challenged. They DESERVE to be pissed off and if that is their attitude they DON'T DESERVE to enjoy the movies in the first place IMO. I'm a huge fan of the character and I don't like to think I belong in a community with people who think like that. Hopefully negative reaction would weed out the trash, and hold a mirror up to them so they can see what they truly are - even if they insist they are not. 

All these who say "I'm not racist... BUT..." well.... I'm not being funny - but you can't piss down MY back and tell me it's raining. 

Fleming may have wrote him as a white man. But newsflash dude. Fleming has been dead for a LONG time now, and the character has far transcended what he wrote. It's owned by it's audience now. And since a good chunk of the movies bear little or no resemblance to what Fleming originally wrote anyway... I don't really think the argument stands up. 

#377 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

All this talk about a black Bond or not, and I'm just sitting here waiting for another on-set pic for SPECTRE B)

My two cents: No matter who is cast after Dan, it's gonna be Bond - and I'll give the new bloke a shot, race be damned.

#378 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

All this talk about a black Bond or not, and I'm just sitting here waiting for another on-set pic for SPECTRE B)

My two cents: No matter who is cast after Dan, it's gonna be Bond - and I'll give the new bloke a shot, race be damned.

Now if only EVERYONE thought like this!  B)

#379 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

well said

#380 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Is this a troll account?

You're not the first to wonder...

#381 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Agreed.

#382 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

I do think the biggest factor against him, as many on here have stated already, is his age. Brilliant actor he may be, but I'd question if he's going to be physically up to the task by the time Bond 26 (as it'll be when Craig's current contract ends) comes about. Both Craig and Brosnan (who aren't exactly unfit) have stated how incredibly physically demanding the role and both have received injuries doing the job. 

#383 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think we haven't even encountered the actor who shall be playing Bond, around 2022. Look how Cumberbatch came out of (seemingly) nowhere in 2010. Craig, similarly, was on few people's radar in 2005: most people were suggesting Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman for the role. How quaint those suggestions seem now :)

I always think they deliberately ignore who people generally want (apart from Brosnan, obviously, who was a very popular choice) and make their own decision, without influence. Which is why I can bet that Sam Worthington and Michael Fassbender - both front-runners, it would seem, for about three years now - won't get the part.

Talking about Craig's successor now is like people talking about Moore's successor in 1977, or Brosnan's in 1998.  It's simply too early to judge.

#384 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

I seem to remember there were rumours about Michael Wilson wanting to sign Craig up for 4 more films around the time Skyfall was coming out (taking his total up to 7) and saying he wanted Daniel in the role for another 10 years. Then after that Craig signed up for 2 more films, which seems like he could be planning to leave after Bond 25 (a 5 film run and slightly over a decade in the role.)

If Bond 25 is released in 2017, and Bond 26 is released in 2019 I think there is the possibility that Idris might be within the right age range for the role (given he would be around 46 when starting filming, and probably look the same age he does at the moment.) And 46 is only a year older than Roger was when he took the part, so not that huge a stretch.
But if Daniel Craig stays on past these next two films (or Eon maintains a 3 year gap between films from now on) I think Idris' odds at the role decrease.

(Do we know btw, for certain if Daniel Craig's current contract was a definite sign on for two films, or if it was signing on for one film with the option of a second...because that could also have an affect.)

#385 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

Although Roger was 46, he looked a lot younger. By my reckoning, at least, he seemed not to have aged between 1964 and 1979.

Craig looks haggard, and I wonder if he would have been offered the role now.

#386 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

I think we haven't even encountered the actor who shall be playing Bond, around 2022. Look how Cumberbatch came out of (seemingly) nowhere in 2010. Craig, similarly, was on few people's radar in 2005: most people were suggesting Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman for the role. How quaint those suggestions seem now :)

I always think they deliberately ignore who people generally want (apart from Brosnan, obviously, who was a very popular choice) and make their own decision, without influence. Which is why I can bet that Sam Worthington and Michael Fassbender - both front-runners, it would seem, for about three years now - won't get the part.

Talking about Craig's successor now is like people talking about Moore's successor in 1977, or Brosnan's in 1998.  It's simply too early to judge.

Well Cubby Broccoli was talking about Dalton as a future Bond back in 69, then later in 81...so it wouldn't have been too absurd to think he might have thought of as a potential Bond back in 77.

And from memory I think it turned out that the main person who wanted Hugh Jackman to be Bond after Brosnan, was Hugh Jackman (who admitted that he had started the rumours himself to get the attention of the producers...and in recent interviews has tried to back track on this and even suggest he turned the role down, which we know he most certainly didn't do ;) )

Although Roger was 46, he looked a lot younger. By my reckoning, at least, he seemed not to have aged between 1964 and 1979.

Craig looks haggard, and I wonder if he would have been offered the role now.

Same could be said about Idris Elba (about not ageing, just compare him now to how he looked in The Wire)...although he is still 4 years away from turning 46, I don't expect him to dramatically age all that much in that time.

As for Craig, you do have a point there about his ageing...the jump between QoS and Skyfall did seem to see him age almost 10 years. While some of this was enhanced by his hair, his stubble and probably some make-up, I think part of the reason the ageing looked so dramatic was because of how young he looked back in Casino Royale (early 30's rather than 38), while by Skyfall he was looking closer to his actual age.

#387 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

I must say - at least this conversation is civil for the most part. I took part in a similar conversation on another Bond forum (which shall remain nameless) a few months ago - and it got REALLY nasty. Got turned into a personal attack on ME just for committing the sin of "not minding if a black dude took a shot at the part". Also got told I "couldn't be a real fan" and all that BS too. 

Some dude automatically assumed I was black too, and reacted with complete incredulity when I told him I was in fact white. 

I ain't been back there since. The racism was shocking. 

Edited by ChickenStu, 29 December 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#388 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

Is this a troll account?

You're not the first to wonder...

Nor the second.

#389 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

And whilst you argue that our man hasn't changed "ethnicities" before - you have to consider that he has been played by a Scot, two Englishmen, an Australian, a Welshman and an Irishman. No one seemed to mind about that but that is five different RACES right there. 

Scottish, English, Australian, Welsh and Irish are not considered different "races."

http://www.nytimes.c...brits.html?_r=0

#390 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

I hope NOT, just think of Ian Fleming turning in his grave. Would that be a good to have happen. I'm NOT a racist, but still I just can't see a black James Bond at all. It don't look right and something long time Bond fans might never get use to. It a lot of way it just messing with what works, and dishonoring the original creator's creation and work. That is IF it was to really happen. Anyway Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson knows better and understands not to do that, of dishonoring Ian Fleming and his creation and Albert R. Broccoli(Michael G. Wilson's stepfather).

The ONLY way Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson would want Idris Elba as the next James Bond. Is ONLY IF  they got no choice, and that Sony Picture co-chair Amy Pascal is a stupid ass and say we will not fund the next or future Bond movies IF Idirs Elba is not the next James Bond. Dishonoring Ian Fleming and his creation. I doubt she would be that bad and go ahead with it.

I hope the Idris Elba James Bond news, is just really old news that never will happen and have been put to rest. But never was deleted from the computer.

If there is to be a black James Bond, then there must be a white or mix race Shaft(part Russian and Asian Indiana or part Chinese and Mexican), white actor or mix race actor playing Obama in a bio pic and so on.

Edited by Syndicate, 29 December 2014 - 07:41 PM.