781 replies to this topic

#211 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

It would be great if Mendes would return, his work on Skyfall is on par with Terence Young and Martin Campbell.

How can you even mention Young in the same breath as a hack like Cambell?

Young is a super-hack. Once you get past Wait Until Dark and start hitting that Bloodline-level stuff you marvel at how nicely those Bond films came off.

#212 QuantumOfRoyale

QuantumOfRoyale

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

It would be great if Mendes would return, his work on Skyfall is on par with Terence Young and Martin Campbell.

Young is a super-hack. Once you get past Wait Until Dark and start hitting that Bloodline-level stuff you marvel at how nicely those Bond films came off.

Plus, you have to at least respect Campbell for bringing Bond back to mainstream, not once, but TWICE, and with two of arguably the series' most well-known, culturally significant films yet, no less.

My feelings about Goldeneye aside, I certainly admire Campbell for pulling off such an impossible task.

#213 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Indeed. Young and Campbell are both directors who seem to do better with Bond than they do with anything else.

#214 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Watch EDGE OF DARKNESS (TV series). Best thing Campbell ever did, aside from GOLDENEYE.

And you have the nerve to pull Christopher Nolan down (which is ironic anyway given the HUGE Nolan influence on Skyfall).

So what? Despite a few nods throughout the picture, SKYFALL is a better looking, funnier, sexier, and more human film than anything Nolan's produced to date.

#215 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Watch EDGE OF DARKNESS (TV series). Best thing Campbell ever did, aside from GOLDENEYE.

Also did a terrific episode of Homicide: Life on the Street which concluded the first season (IIRC) and is one of the best TV episodes of anything I've ever seen.

Bob Peck's craziness was a bit too much for me with Edge of Darkness. I don't know why that is. Perhaps it needs a re-watch.

I also think that Campbell got far, far closer to the old-school swashbuckler with The Mask of Zorro than anyone else in that period, while still being able to play around with some of the genre conventions.

#216 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

I think calling Young a hack is unjustified. Lots of directors go through a weaker phase in their autumn years - and let´s face it: great material is hard to come by, especially when studios make most of their money with sure-fire four-quadrants-stuff. Hitchcock was no hack either, and look at his output after "The Birds".

#217 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

So... with the exception of Wait Until Dark, what are these other classics that Young directed outside of Bond?

And apart from From Russia with Love, I'm not entirely sure that two of his Bond films are brilliantly directed. They have flashes of it, sure, but Thunderball's real heft is the scope of the production, and Dr. No's is Connery.

#218 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

You really don´t like Young, do you?

#219 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

So what? Despite a few nods throughout the picture, SKYFALL is a better looking, funnier, sexier, and more human film than anything Nolan's produced to date.

Exactly. And it is not that Nolan has done anything groundbreaking really. In my opinion the first superhero film which took it's subject seriously was Richard Donners Superman the Movie.

#220 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Breaking news : Daniel CRAIG himself denied yesterday in an interview that Bond 24 and Bond 25 will be the two parts of the same story, as we've been previously told by medias.

#221 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Nice. Thanks for the heads up!

And great misinformation again by major news outlets.

#222 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Daniel Craig: No Two-Part Bond 24 and 25

#223 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

On the contrary, he directed one of my favourite films, and another two that I'm extremely fond of. I think From Russia with Love is one of the most tightly-directed thrillers of its era, perfectly straddling the line between the more daffy and light romps of the Charade calibre, and the more fraught and moody films like The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Bunny Lake is Missing. He made the perfect Bond film, how could I not like him?

That doesn't preclude him from being a hack, however.

#224 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

On the contrary, he directed one of my favourite films, and another two that I'm extremely fond of. I think From Russia with Love is one of the most tightly-directed thrillers of its era, perfectly straddling the line between the more daffy and light romps of the Charade calibre, and the more fraught and moody films like The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and Bunny Lake is Missing. He made the perfect Bond film, how could I not like him?

I didn't know he didd Bunny Lake is Missing! Awesome!

#225 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

I didn't know he didd Bunny Lake is Missing! Awesome!

He didn't, that was Preminger. I'm just citing thrillers of the early and mid-60s. Admittedly not great examples.

I would recommend Wait Until Dark to everyone who hasn't seen it though. Features one of the most memorable "horror" or suspense moments I've seen, and top-calibre performances from all involved.

#226 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Oh. Too bad.

#227 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Phew! I know a lot of people were keen on this, but I really wasn't hot on the idea. I may be up for some experimentaion they do (gunbarrel at end, giving Bond a character arc), I still believe Bond films should be stand alone films.

But hey, what do I know? Perhaps if they did it and it turned out really well I'd be saying it was the best thing since sliced bread.

#228 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Iiiiiiiiiinteresting...

Huh. I wonder if there's any possibility that John Logan pitched a two part story and Craig shot it down?

#229 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Iiiiiiiiiinteresting...

Huh. I wonder if there's any possibility that John Logan pitched a two part story and Craig shot it down?

Ut! Just read Daniel Craig's comments on the matter, sounds like the whole back to back shooting et al. was simply a rumor. I sure fell for it...

#230 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

I never considered Bond 25 to be a direct sequel to Bond 24 but rather loosely based on each other, kind of like TB was to YOLT. But this is strange news, where did this story come from about Logan doing a 2 parter? I thought that was what enticed the producers to sign Logan on for Bond 24 and 25.

#231 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

http://www.denofgeek...d-movie-rumours

#232 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Speaking to Filmstarts at the Berlin premiere, Craig said of the rumour: “No, I don’t know where that’s come from. It's impossible to do a two parter, I heard that someone was talking about that we’re doing a two parter, but that’s the first I’ve heard about it. We can only do them one at a time, they take six months to shoot. You can’t write one movie thinking about the next. All we’re trying to do is get the next one sorted out and it’ll stand on its own and if I’m able I’ll do another one after that.”
The last part of this statement (if I'm able to...) is interesting because it means that actually, it's not sure Daniel Craig has really signed for two more movies, as we've been told by medias (with no official confirmation by EON).

#233 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

First, two parter was a bad idea in the beginning... I like Bond 24 and 25 to be "brothers" in the spirit, not necessarily storywise.

Craig will be able to do B25 also... it´s only natural that these kind of weird statements are flying around as they are on tour with Skyfall. Maybe he wasn´t fully focused, who knows. Or he just wanted to cause some conversation... remember those Michael G. Wilson´s statements about "Craig ends at the top, nobody is bigger than James Bond..?" Let´s just see what happens :) Personally speaking, I want DC to carry on as long as he´s able to. There´s no better actor around to play James Bond.

#234 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Speaking to Filmstarts at the Berlin premiere, Craig said of the rumour: “No, I don’t know where that’s come from. It's impossible to do a two parter, I heard that someone was talking about that we’re doing a two parter, but that’s the first I’ve heard about it. We can only do them one at a time, they take six months to shoot. You can’t write one movie thinking about the next. All we’re trying to do is get the next one sorted out and it’ll stand on its own and if I’m able I’ll do another one after that.”
The last part of this statement (if I'm able to...) is interesting because it means that actually, it's not sure Daniel Craig has really signed for two more movies, as we've been told by medias (with no official confirmation by EON).

Maybe just humility. He's not taking for granted that he'd be asked to do 25.

#235 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Agreed!

In my definition of a hack, it does. Isn´t a hack someone who just routinely follows orders of the producer, keeping the budget in check, doing mediocre, soulless work?

#236 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Agreed!

In my definition of a hack, it does. Isn´t a hack someone who just routinely follows orders of the producer, keeping the budget in check, doing mediocre, soulless work?

Ah, needless to say I have a slightly different view of what a hack is, but point taken.

I think it's interesting with the Bond directors, in so far as I can think of at least one decent-to-very good non-Bond film from all of them except Hunt, who might have made the best Bond film, and Glen, who made my favourite.

Young: Wait Until Dark
Hamilton: Well... The Battle of Britain might be pushing it, I guess, but the cast assembled makes it at least mildly entertaining.
Gilbert: The Good Die Young, Sink the Bismarck!, Alfie
Hunt: I've only seen Gold, which is hilariously bad
Glen: Sadly I have missed out on the treasures of Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
Campbell: The Mask of Zorro
Spottiswoode: Under Fire
Apted: Coal Miner's Daughter
Tamahori: Once Were Warriors
Forster: Stranger than Fiction
Mendes: Road to Perdition

It's an interesting and eclectic collection of dudes. I'm hoping that the next addition makes it even more eclectic, frankly.

Edited by Armand Fancypants, 02 November 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#237 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

A 2 parter might scare off directors as well, wouldn't it? and Logan is possibly working on Bond 24 now, so that there will be a script ready for directors to begin reading and decide if they want to do it. I wonder how far a long Logan is now. So I guess Logan had 2 ideas for Bond films and somewhere along the line it became; that their connected.

#238 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah I think so. I mean a director has to commit to this for two movies not just one. I think it would be awful if they had one director direct the first part and the second director direct the second part. I can't wait to see who gets chosen to direct.

#239 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I´m hoping for a two different stories for 24 and 25. Maybe Blofeld could be that "connection?" Whoever directs Bond 24, I´m really pushing mr. Mendes for Bond 25. If Daniel Craig hangs up his boots after B25, he really deserves a great director and a really good script for his last outing.

I hope EON won´t rush too much with the next film. Thankfully Daniel Craig seems to have a major impact in artistical decicisions... I just hope they don´t sign some code name "Tamahori" for the next installment :D

#240 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Over at mi6 hq they are reporting with DC quotes about how much he'd like Mendes to return for Bond 24. At this moment I'm thinking that the only director that can better SF is Sam himself! I'd offer him £5m tomorrow if I was eon.