781 replies to this topic

#151 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

I really want to see Sam Mendes return but if not I would like to see Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class, Layer Cake) get a crack. I loved X-Men: First Class and it's 60s spy feel. Previously working with Craig on Layer Cake is a bonus.

I was kinda surprised that Vaughn wasn't tapped to do Quantum Of Solace, but maybe he was booked already. He'd be a terrific choice to do Bond. Kinda got a thing for that Layercake movie. :)

#152 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

I don't think Vaughn will be touching Bond for a long time. He currently working with Mark Millar to develop their own spy movie, "The Secret Service".

http://ca.ign.com/ar...st-class-sequel

#153 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

I really want to see Sam Mendes return but if not I would like to see Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class, Layer Cake) get a crack. I loved X-Men: First Class and it's 60s spy feel. Previously working with Craig on Layer Cake is a bonus.

I was kinda surprised that Vaughn wasn't tapped to do Quantum Of Solace, but maybe he was booked already. He'd be a terrific choice to do Bond. Kinda got a thing for that Layercake movie. :)

As far as I know, he was approached for it and dropped out because there was no script, as did Danny Boyle.

#154 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

I don't think Vaughn will be touching Bond for a long time. He currently working with Mark Millar to develop their own spy movie, "The Secret Service".

Jeez, when does Mark Millar sleep?? Bummed to hear that Vaughn won't make the X-men sequel, huh. Vaughn's been super busy since his debut, I kinda figured early on that he and Bond would never end up on the same schedule somehow.

Poor little Quantum Of Solace; I'd never heard before that Vaughn and Danny Boyle were both approached for QoS.

If Skyfall's as good as everyone's saying I'd say Mendes is still my first choice for 24.

#155 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

If Skyfall's as good as everyone's saying I'd say Mendes is still my first choice for 24.

I think he is EON's first choice but it doesn't sound like he is on board.
http://www.totalfilm...s_fee=0&_r=true

#156 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

At this point, without wishing to sound too cynical, the Producers Have to say the door is open to the incumbent for the next film.

#157 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

http://www.denofgeek...-film-next-year

#158 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I wont be disappointed if Mendes does not return even if he had done a great job with SF I"m not that much of a fan of his. Its exciting to kept hearing Bond 24 news, it seems more and more likely we'll be getting it in 2014. I wonder when they'll make an announcement as to who will be directing it, I just assumed it would be after the SF blu ray release.

#159 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

If Bond 24 is really coming out in 2014 , In how many months would they normally announce the director ?

#160 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

It would be great if Mendes would return, his work on Skyfall is on par with Terence Young and Martin Campbell.

#161 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

If Bond 24 is really coming out in 2014 , In how many months would they normally announce the director ?

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's any earlier than late spring or early summer.

But it could be sooner if Mendes decides to return.

#162 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'd guess mid-2013.

#163 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

There's no way Mendes will do the next one.

It's a very tight schedule to get another Bond done for 2014, and Mendes is heading back to theatre to do Charlie & the Chocolate Factory next summer.

I suppose there's a chance he might return for Bond 25, but I'm getting the sense that Bond is a one-time thing for him.

#164 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Given how brilliantly Sam Mendes did Skyfall, part of me wants him back, but part of me wants him almost to step away now and leave with one great picture. Or come back in 10 years, a la Martin Campbell, and do a second great Bond movie with a new 007.

Come on, let's be honest, we all want Christopher Nolan now don't we? He's the big one. They won't get him until after Daniel Craig goes I reckon (and he brings aboard Tom Hardy), but he'd be my dream Bond 24 director.

Long as they get someone who, like Mendes, understands drama as well as action/spectacle, the quality should sustain. I say keep the directors British too - for the most part they seem to get Bond better.

#165 Mavalant

Mavalant

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well they might want a new director to two the next two considering the news
http://filmonic.com/...-bond-24-and-25

#166 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Come on, let's be honest, we all want Christopher Nolan now don't we?

No we don't.

#167 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Okay, some of us do. I was asking for trouble saying that wasn't I? :D

#168 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Okay, some of us do. I was asking for trouble saying that wasn't I? :D

Yes. Nolan simply sucks.

#169 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

He really divides opinion, doesn't he? Rarely come across a director who creates such love/hate. He's the human Marmite!

#170 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm quite surprised over the divide about Nolan. I assumed he would be a largely popular choice but that certainly is not the case here. Over on IGN however, I think many of those forum members will kill themselves if Nolan doesn't do a Bond film soon! Then again, a lot of the forum members over there cling to the code name theory, so....

#171 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Apparently, no, Nolan is a highly controversial choice with people either loving or hating his work and little to no middle grounds left. I seem to be one of the few fans not caring much either way whether Nolan ever has a director's chair provided by Eon or not.

But even I must say after rewatching TDK recently - I had next to no memories of it since seeing it for the first time - I actually fell asleep during the last 15/20 minutes. Since this I'm no longer very fond of the Nolan-for-Bond idea. I suppose his work connects to audiences in a particular way that's mainly based on the scripts provided by his brother, and I'm not sure if these particular storylines really gel with what a Bond film calls for. I'd say INCEPTION was his Bond film, which I liked very much, but it's perhaps better to leave it at that.

Edited by Dustin, 27 October 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#172 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I think he could do it and suprise all those who embraced TDK and turned against him when the Nolan hype became unbearable for them.

Still, I don´t think Bond needs him.

I also do not think Bond would need Ridley Scott.

I believe directors who have too much of a personal pet peeve are wrong for Bond. People like Mendes who can adapt to any genre and maintain a huge quality are the ones EON should be going for.

#173 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Nolan is long on concepts and low on fun. If you're in the mood for something self-serious and middlebrow, he's your man. But he would sap Bond of all its style, humor, and joy. Considering that there are so many other neckbeard darlings who are suitable for Bond, why single out one whose style is so decidedly anti-Bondian?

#174 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Everyone assumes, however, that Nolan couldn't aim for a different tone.

I point to Inception for examples of where that tone exists - the humour of Tom Hardy's character for instance, and the Alpine section was even inspired by OHMSS. Are film makers not capable of adapting? Sam Mendes hardly has a career filled with iconic, wit-filled action movies behind him, let's face it.

#175 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

When Nolan tries to do humour it just comes off as flat. As for the OHMSS homage, it felt more like a Bond video game. NIGHTFIRE came to mind.

It's one thing to love Bond. It's another to understand it.

#176 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Danny Boyle's next film is in post production and due for release in early 2013.

After that, imdb doesn't have him pencilled in for anything.

I'm just saying....

#177 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think Boyle's the one who turned down the offer to direct QOS because there wasn't a script. He's a solid prospect for Bond 24.

#178 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Please, not Danny Boyle. No, no, no. His Bond will likely be the unemployed son of northern coal miner and the villain a Tory political planning to cut welfare.

What about Martin Scorsese?

#179 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Please, not Martin Scorcese. No, no, no. His Bond would likely be an Italian American loner on the verge of insanity, played by Leonardo DiCaprio. Ben Kingsley as the villain.

What about Wes Anderson?

#180 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Please, not Martin Scorcese. No, no, no. His Bond would likely be an Italian American loner on the verge of insanity [...]

And Timothy Dalton came pretty close to that.