781 replies to this topic

#241 Elvenstar

Elvenstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

So what? Despite a few nods throughout the picture, SKYFALL is a better looking, funnier, sexier, and more human film than anything Nolan's produced to date.

+100000
everything I watch by Nolan is super cold
I cant feel or identify with any of his characters
yet in SF I really lived in the movie & even such a small character as Severine was able to make me sympathize with her greatly

#242 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Essentail to keep the Bond film going every 2 years. I consider the rebirth of Bond from CR and with Craig- after a long time from Dr No which I watched in 1962 ( Connery is my Bond and always), then years later after repappraising Lazenby role as Bond and appreciating Peter Hunt's expertise.

#243 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

As great as the 1960s Connery films were, one of their great downfalls was a lack of consistency from movie to movie. There was no planning ahead. Felix Leiter was supposed to be a series regular, but he never became a beloved sidekick because he was played by a different actor every time. Meanwhile, bit-players like M, Q, and Miss Moneypenny all became beloved - because they held on to the same actors!

Likewise, EON badly mishandled Blofeld, who should have been unquestionably the greatest Bond villain in the series. They did a good job of building up the mystery surrounding him in FRWL and Thunderball. But then, in three successive films, he is played by three different actors. What's worse, they completely botched the sequence of the films and the death of Tracy. In the novels, Blofeld emerges as a threat in Thunderball, is confronted by Bond and kills Bond's wife in OHMSS, and is hunted down and killed in YOLT. As we know, in the films, we see Blofeld's face for the first time in YOLT, but bizarrely Bond and Blofeld do not know each other in OHMSS. Then, in Diamonds are Forever, Bond makes absolutely no mention of his late wife as he pursues Blofeld. Finally, Blofeld escapes at the end of DAF, and it is not until FYEO ten years later that Blofled is killed - albeit without being identified.

Why do I recount all of that history? Because in the Daniel Craig-era reboot, EON is clearly trying to correct these errors and do it right this time. Michael G. Wilson is probably the biggest "fanboy" of all and he knows what needs to happen.

In CR, we see Bond get his "two kills," earn his 00 number, and fall in love with and then lose Vesper. QOS, although a flawed film, fleshes out the Quantum organization and makes it clear that it is a SPECTRE analogue. It is obvious that LeChiffre, Dominic Green, and Mr. White are functionaries, and there is a hidden mastermind at the top.

SkyFall completes the reboot, as we see the traditional Bond elements restored - M, Q, and Moneypenny are all back in what appears to be the Regents Park office rather than the modern MI6 building.

They have also been consistent in casting - Mr. White and Felix Leiter are portrayed by the same actors in CR and QOS, and I think we can safely assume that the actors portraying M, Q, Moneypenny, and maybe even Tanner are locked in.

As has been noted elsewhere, SkyFall is the third film and presents a "break" from the Quantum storyline - exactly as Goldfinger did after Dr. No and FRWL.

I believe (or maybe I should say I HOPE) that EON is setting up for a two-film conclusion to the Quantum story arc. Bond 24 begins with the traditional sequence of familiar scenes - flirt with Moneypenny, briefing from M, gadgets from Q - before Bond discovers a major threat to the world - perhaps bioterror - from the Quantum organization. Bond 24 would be the film in which Bond confronts the shadowy leader of Quantum - Ernst Stavro Blofeld. That would probably come late in the film, and although Bond would "save the world" and defeat Quantum, Blofeld himself would get away. This could be loosely based on elements of OHMSS - at least insofar as Blofeld's involvement and his plan.

I would humbly recommend that Bond 24 be titled "The Property of a Lady" - that is easily the best Fleming title left, and it not be difficult to make it an element of the story.

That sets up Bond 25, in which Bond hunts down Blofeld, who is disguised as "Dr. Guntram Shatterhand" and maintaining a "Garden of Death." Given that very little of the YOLT novel was actually used in the film, Bond 25 could basically use that storyline, perhaps moving it from Japan to India or another locale. The film, and perhaps the Craig era, could end with Bond killing Blofeld but losing his memory in the process. That could close the Craig era and set up for Bond's return to be the debut of a new actor.

Obviously, Bond 25 would then take the excellent title "Shatterhand."

The Craig era (QOS aside) has demonstrated that EON still knows what it is doing. I am confident that, unlike in the 1960s, they have a master plan for the Craig era. Even if Bond 24 and 25 is not a two-part story, it could easily have elements that carry over. The plan I have laid out may not be EON's plan (in fact, it probably isn't), but I am confident that they have A PLAN - and that is very promising for the Bond franchise.

Edited by tonyvenhuizen, 11 November 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#244 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Good ideas, Tony, although I suspect the producers might feel that titles like "Property of a lady" and "Shatterhand" (particularly the former), would be going too much down the offbeat route of "Quantum of Solace". I can just picture the critics - who will be lining up to knock Bond 24 down a peg after the success of SF - getting their knickers in a twist over a title like Property of a lady, calling it too wimpish etc.

I'd love to see The Garden of Death in a Bond film but not with Blofeld. I feel he died in FYEO and should stay dead.

#245 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Tony had some very good ideas... I´d very much like to see a film called "The Property Of A Lady." But it must be tied to the plot carefully... it´s gotta have an meaning in the story.

Blofeld dead? I see him very much alive... at least here in the rebooted series ;)

#246 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Tony had some very good ideas... I´d very much like to see a film called "The Property Of A Lady." But it must be tied to the plot carefully... it´s gotta have an meaning in the story.

Blofeld dead? I see him very much alive... at least here in the rebooted series ;)

I think "The Property of a Lady" has a sophistication and British-ness that can work well. But you're right - it would have to have meaning in the story.

#247 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Daniel Craig is so good as bond and skyfall was awesome. I can't wait for 2014. :)

#248 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

I would love to Daniel Craig as Bond face his wife Rachel Weisz as the villain or something......that would be interesting....

#249 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

Haha that would be pretty interesting to watch unfold on the screen

#250 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I doubt Rachel Weisz will ever do a Bond film after The Bourne Legacy. I don't think Craig's Bond will get anymore Ian Fleming titles as I suspect EON is holding on to those for the next Bond.

#251 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

I doubt Rachel Weisz will ever do a Bond film after The Bourne Legacy. I don't think Craig's Bond will get anymore Ian Fleming titles as I suspect EON is holding on to those for the next Bond.

Why do you think EON is holding out on any more Fleming titles until Craig ends his tenure...?

I think Rachel Weisz would be terrific as Tracy; Albert Finney did Bourne and Bond, she ought to as well.

I love Bourne but just couldn't bring myself to go see the new one, but Weisz's performance with Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardner was incredible.

#252 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

Why do you think EON is holding out on any more Fleming titles until Craig ends his tenure...?

I think Rachel Weisz would be terrific as Tracy; Albert Finney did Bourne and Bond, she ought to as well.

I love Bourne but just couldn't bring myself to go see the new one, but Weisz's performance with Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardner was incredible.

There are only so many Fleming titles left that I just assume they would hold out on using them, I doubt they would just use the rest of the remaining titles just because they can.

Tracy is dead and they better keep it that way.

Weisz may be a great actor but I think it would be distracting watching a film knowing that Craig's real wife is playing the character and I think it would be tacky. Finney was in Bourne but his character is both different in appearance and character. Is EON having that much of a problem casting that they need borrow from the Bourne Legacy ? Isn't Weisz probably going to be in the Bourne sequel?

#253 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

After Skyfall I'm really looking forward to the next one in 2 years. But I would rather EON take their time to make a damn fine film rather than rush one out. If that means a delay then so be it.

#254 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am getting older. I say start rushing them out. ;)

#255 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Nice. The recent 4 year wait was tough and I'd definitely like to get at least two more films out of Craig before he starts looking too old.

#256 Aisforauric

Aisforauric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

There are only so many Fleming titles left that I just assume they would hold out on using them, I doubt they would just use the rest of the remaining titles just because they can.

Tracy is dead and they better keep it that way.

Weisz may be a great actor but I think it would be distracting watching a film knowing that Craig's real wife is playing the character and I think it would be tacky. Finney was in Bourne but his character is both different in appearance and character. Is EON having that much of a problem casting that they need borrow from the Bourne Legacy ? Isn't Weisz probably going to be in the Bourne sequel?

Or perhaps we'll get a decent love scene. The intimate nature of Bond has been sorely missing from the last three outings (IMHO)....

#257 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.deadline....ide-box-office/

Looks like Logan is scripting 24 & 25.

#258 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I agree to rush them out as long as they are filmed well. I would rather have them wait 3 years to release a Bond film and have it be excellent then release one in two years and be just meh.

#259 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

If the entertainment industry can give us ten episodes a year of such high quality television shows as Mad Men, Game Of Thrones, and Breaking Bad then surely a Bond film roughly every two years can't be that much to ask for. :)

The financial success exceeding expectations has got to be only a good thing for Bond fans. Mr. Craig has finally proven that making a high quality Bond film true to the source material can also be wildly profitable on top of being entertaining.

#260 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

MI6 has a piece quoting MGM CEO Gary Barber as saying 2014 or 2015. And in an item somewhere last week, MGW & BB sounded dubious about a two-year turnaround. I suspect 2015 is more realistic.

#261 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.deadline....ide-box-office/

Looks like Logan is scripting 24 & 25.

Well spotted! Looks like they're keeping short of suggesting the movies will be a two-film arc, but, despite what Craig previously said, it must be a strong possibility if Logan really is developing both scripts simultaneously.

#262 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I don't know if it really a good idea to have it in 2015......I mean Craig is getting older and 2014 is better 2015 unless they can shoot back to back films but there is no link between the two directly. Something like Dr.NO and From Russia with love. That would be the best case that could happen.

#263 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Like TB was to YOLT. I'm not really liking the sound of this, sure 2015 and 2018 could be the release dates and that is not all that bad but I had high hopes that they would return to every 2 years after the 4 year gap we just had with QOS and SF. Perhaps Logan is a faster writer then Purvis and Wade.....

#264 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah Daniel Craig is getting older, they need to get on these two Bond films right now.

#265 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

When MGM announced that plan to get Bond back to a two-year schedule they were just in the middle of their major restructuring, the pressure was on to send investors a signal of a healthy and promising business plan. After all, MGM's main assets at the time were Bond and THE HOBBIT. Since then the situation has changed significantly, Sony joined the Bond wagon, THE HOBBIT was expanded into three films and the new Bond film surpassed many expectations. It never was a question of do-or-die if BOND 24 came out two years after SKYFALL, nor was it ever MGM's decision to have the next Bond film so fast up on the screen. In the end it makes no difference if it takes two years or a bit more. And 2015 would not have to mean autumn 2015, it could just as well be spring or summer.

#266 Aisforauric

Aisforauric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I would love to Daniel Craig as Bond face his wife Rachel Weisz as the villain or something......that would be interesting....

Mmmmmmmmm. Rachel W playing 'Nena Bismaquer'........AKA Blofeld's daughter ;-)

#267 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

MI6 has a piece quoting MGM CEO Gary Barber as saying 2014 or 2015. And in an item somewhere last week, MGW & BB sounded dubious about a two-year turnaround. I suspect 2015 is more realistic.

Yeah - I too would suspect 2015 to be the more realistic expectation.

#268 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

2014 please.

As many people have mentioned Craig isn't ageing gracefully. My father was taken aback when i told him Daniel Craig was only 44. He thought he looked like he was in his fifties in Skyfall! So the sooner the better.

Does anyone know if he's going to appear in The Girl who Played with Fire? Or if there are going to be any sequels anyway?

#269 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

http://uk.eonline.co...layed-with-fire

In June it was looking like No.

#270 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

http://uk.eonline.co...layed-with-fire

In June it was looking like No.

More time to work on Bond then, barring any other projects...