772 replies to this topic

#691 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:16 AM

Tiger takes complete control of Bond; the morning after the game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors", he takes Bond into his confidence about Shatterhand -- after that, Dikko isn't seen until the final chapter, and Tiger envelopes Bond in Japanese culture.

We could cut down on the whole "envelope in Japanese culture" thing, make it into a montage... but, then, we'd lose our title line. ;)

#692 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

I thought Dikko was going to be a traitor?

#693 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

I still want him to be loyal... how about Matsui Fujiwa, a cipher clerk under Tiger? He's not in the book, but it'd be a nice throwback to Thunderball, the movie. ;)

"Blackmail of the double agent Matsui Fujiwa. Unfortunately, only 40 million yen; all the man had!"

#694 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

I still want him to be loyal... how about Matsui Fujiwa, a cipher clerk under Tiger? He's not in the book, but it'd be a nice throwback to Thunderball, the movie. ;)

"Blackmail of the double agent Matsui Fujiwa. Unfortunately, only 40 million yen; all the man had!"

There's no real payoff to whether Dikko is loyal or not, though. By the end of the book, he's basically an afterthought. Making him a traitor isn't nearly as controversial as, say, what Benson did with Draco in "Never Dream of Dying".

#695 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:56 AM

There's no real payoff to whether Dikko is loyal or not, though. By the end of the book, he's basically an afterthought. Making him a traitor isn't nearly as controversial as, say, what Benson did with Draco in "Never Dream of Dying".

Why should there be payoff; why should there even be a question of loyalty, to begin with? If it's to be more faithful to the novel, Dikko doesn't do anything bad; his views might be incendiary, but he's a lovable rogue who thinks Bond's a "pommy poofter" -- what not to like? :)

#696 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:01 AM

I can see both sides.

I just don't want to complicate things for dino if he's already sorted things out in his head.

#697 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

I haven't written anything in stone. I do agree though that Dikko is essentially useless after he's introduced Bond to Japan. So why not send him off with a bang rather than let him just disappear when the story is done with him?

#698 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:23 AM

Well... he's essentially an honest man, one whom Bond can share a drink and some geishas with; I'd hate to see it shown that he was lying under the table the whole time. :(

#699 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

I haven't written anything in stone. I do agree though that Dikko is essentially useless after he's introduced Bond to Japan. So why not send him off with a bang rather than let him just disappear when the story is done with him?

I agree completely. :tup:

I've also beenk thinking of how we can use the Skybike:

* Tiger informs Bond about the location of Blofeld's "Garden of Death"
* Tiger introduces Bond to the Japanese Q, who unveils the "Skybike"/Little Nellie to him.
* In a role reversal of the original film, Bond's reaction to the Skybike is dismissive and one of amusement, until the Japanese Q/Tanaka demonstrates its surface-to-air capabilities.
* Bond takes to the skies and scopes out the area above the Garden of Death, but a creepy, dense fog prohibits him from identifying anything of note.

#700 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

Any idea when the next bit is coming, dino?

#701 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

Any idea when the next bit is coming, dino?

Tomorrow...I'm going to go ahead and use Dikko as a traitor, since there seems to be little purpose to even having him in the film otherwise, and anyway it seems the vote is 2:1 in favor of doing so :) , so I'll be working out an action/chase scene using the Floating Gardens and maybe working in some other Osaka landmarks too. Aquarium, anybody? Can/should we have Bondian hijinks in an aquarium? The recent Blood stone game had a shootout inside one.

And yes the skybike stuff seems sound enough...

#702 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

Great, I look forward to it.

I'm glad we agreed on an acceptable way to adapt the otherwise 'outlandish' idea of Little Nellie into the gritty, revenge-driven Fleming story. ;)

#703 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm cool with that. :)

#704 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Any progress, dino?

#705 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Any progress, dino?

Only in my head, so far :)

I'm trying to work out something that escalates from a minor scuffle into a huge action scene, like in CR where Bond following Demetrios leads to the Miami airport sequence. In fact I was thinking of doing something involving Osaka's Kensai airport, which is literally an island. Seems to me that an airport that's separated from the mainland would be a prime target for a terrorism hit...?

#706 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:57 PM

Indeed it does! Your mention of the airport piqued my curiosity so I looked it up and yes, that would be the perfect setting for a major action sequence. :tup:

#707 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Y'know, I was thinking: If we're going to have Colonel Sun be the one to orchestrate the capture and brainwashing of Bond after "YOLT", maybe we could take a detour after "TMWTGG" and follow that one up with "Colonel Sun"?

That is, if everyone else is interested in tackling that story.

#708 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Wait, wait. You guys totally overlooked the "boogiemen" option of sea creatures arising from the Sea Of Japan and getting Bond.

Or was that already done in DAD
:confused:

Hmm, yes a BOND VS GODZILLA is just the kind of exciting new direction the series needs :tup:

Y'know, I was thinking: If we're going to have Colonel Sun be the one to orchestrate the capture and brainwashing of Bond after "YOLT", maybe we could take a detour after "TMWTGG" and follow that one up with "Colonel Sun"?

That is, if everyone else is interested in tackling that story.

I really don't remember too much about the story other than M gets kidnapped and taken to Greece, and Bond gets metal spikes shoved in some uncomfortable places...

#709 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

I suppose it's not worth pursuing if not enough participants are familiar with the story. But maybe Mr. B, tdalton and myself can work something up...?

I know tdalton has some good ideas for "TSWLM", though, so we can follow "TMWTGG" up with that one. :)

#710 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

I have a friend who can probably supply me with a detailed synopsis... :)

#711 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

I have a friend who can probably supply me with a detailed synopsis... :)

Sounds good. :tup:

#712 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

How are we going to introduce Kissy? I forgot how she was utilized in the book.

#713 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

She's introduced at the village; Bond doesn't marry her, but instead lives with her for a few days -- she falls in love with him (unrequitedly, of course), and he helps her go pearl-diving with her pet comorant, David.

#714 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

THE NEXT DAY

The observation deck of the Floating Gardens Observatory. Some light construction is going on, as, in amongst a crowd of tourists, Bond carries a suitcase of money; Tanaka and several of his agents blend in with the crowd of tourists to make sure everything goes smoothly. A man named FUJIWA approaches Bond and hands him a flash drive. Bond hands over the suitcase; both men inspect their goods, and, satisfied that he has the original copy of the files, Bond allows him to leave. As Fujiwa disappears into the crowd, Bond's phone begins to vibrate; he looks at the screen to see "2...1..."; instinctively, he throws his phone over the side and it EXPLODES.
Tourists scream and scatter everywhere. Tanaka's men chase after Fujiwa, but he draws a machine pistol and drops two of them before they can fire. Tanaka fights his way through a crowd all surging in the opposite direction while Fujiwa is joined by more goons who open fire. As they head for the stairs, Bond runs and slides down a bridge/pipe (the diagonal thing seen in the photo here.) He shoots a gunman on his way down, sending him plunging down the 40 storey abyss.
Fujiwa and his goons make it to an elevator. Bond shoots another one as the doors close, separating them. As the elevator descends, Bond looks around and spots a winch being used for construction. He clips it onto his belt and JUMPS over the edge, effectively abseiling down the side of the building.
As they descend, Fujiwa blasts at Bond from the glass elevator; Bond fires back, but is distracted as he's about to smash into a window washing rig halfway down the building; unable to stop, Bond kicks off the surface of the building and avoids the rig entirely as a man on the window washer looks at Bond incredulously, and then looks at a bottle of sake in his hand.
The elevator reaches the bottom and Fujiwa and his remaining two men get on motorbikes. As they tear off into afternoon traffic, Bond crashes into a food stall , as he picks himself up, he brushes a live wriggling octopus off his shoulder, handing it back to the vendor. He runs to a parked...

TBC

#715 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

Good work, Dino. Are we going to be able to work that bullet train into this chase?

#716 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:27 AM

Good work, Dino. Are we going to be able to work that bullet train into this chase?

I was going to use the train as part of the travelogue when Bond goes to the more remote part of Japan

#717 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I was going to use the train as part of the travelogue when Bond goes to the more remote part of Japan

Works for me. :tup:

#718 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

It'll be used as the framing device for a lengthy sort-of montage sequence, then? I'm cool with that, but I hope you've got a copy of the novel on hand when you're writing it, dino...

#719 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:05 AM

Any updates, dino? :)

#720 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans