#151 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

As ever Craig looks great, but the music was a bit jarring for me

It's meant to be. The book is quite dark - it deals with instituionalised rape, sexualised violence and serial murder. The original Swedish-language film doesn't really admit that it's dark; it flirts with the prospect, but always holds its characters back. But as David Fincher proved with SE7EN, he's not afraid to push his characters over the edge and see what happens. So I think this film will be very dark indeed (why else would they tag it "the feel-bad movie of Christmas"?).

The song itself is a cover of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song (which is about the Vikings crossing the Atlantic) by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Trent Renzor, of Nine Inch Nails fame and who also picked up the Oscar for best score when working with Fincher on THE SOCIAL NETOWRK. Take on its own, the song isn't really anything more than a Led Zeppelin cover with an industrial slant, but I think it perfectly matches the visuals in the trailer. Especially the line "Valhalla, I am coming".

#152 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

The high-quality green band trailer has been made available. It's more of the same, though the blood and the nudity have been removed. There is, however, still a shot of what I can only assume is Lisbeth straddling Nils Bjurmann, who is wearing a gag of some kind (I find that shot alone more questionable than the blood) and what I think is a new shot implying a lesbian relationship (which is in character for Lisbeth, since she is bisexual).

#153 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

I think the teaser trailer did exactly what it's supposed to. I've been teased. That being said I have no idea what to expect. Is it bad that I don't have the time to read the novels because they are so far back on my reading list?

#154 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

Not sure if this has been posted (I didn't see it), but for those who haven't seen it (I only saw it today because IGN posted it today):

Posted Image

That's a pretty edgy poster if you ask me. I like it.

EDIT: Here's the link to the image & original post from IGN.com just in case the image has to be removed from this post: Teaser Poster

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 03 June 2011 - 06:20 AM.

#155 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

I was going to post it but I felt like I was violating some policy. The only thing I don't love is the text. Looks like Craig made a cover for an "evanescence" album. Otherwise, awesomely dark.

#156 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

I was going to post it but I felt like I was violating some policy. The only thing I don't love is the text. Looks like Craig made a cover for an "evanescence" album. Otherwise, awesomely dark.

I don't see how it's any different than posting a trailer for an upcoming film (which happens all the time around here). To the Admins, if I violated some forum policy I didn't realize and I apologize.

#157 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

No, don't worry about that too much (until we are asked to take it down).

Were it the poster to Bond 23, though, it would have to go. We get into awful trouble from that lot.

Interesting poster.

#158 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

I think the teaser trailer looks fantastic. Haven't read the books yet or seen the Swedish movies, but I aim to do that before December. Love the poster image too. Very intense, and Daniel Craig has one of the greatest faces in movies these days.

#159 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

I think the teaser trailer looks fantastic. Haven't read the books yet or seen the Swedish movies, but I aim to do that before December. Love the poster image too. Very intense, and Daniel Craig has one of the greatest faces in movies these days.

I saw the trailer for it today. It looked interesting.

#160 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'm not wild about this remake...at all.

#161 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

God forbid anyone see a pair of bare breasts (or is that "taboobs"?) on a poster at a cinema.

:rolleyes:

#162 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

It's crass and unnecessarily lurid. That said, there is a disturbing double standard with sex and violence, not just in the states. Anyone remember that teaser poster for TDK, with The Joker smearing a smiling with a trail of blood? I don't remember much protest when that was released, though I could be wrong. Perhaps we've become so desensitised to violence, that it simply slipped by?

#163 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

It's crass and unnecessarily lurid. That said, there is a disturbing double standard with sex and violence, not just in the states. Anyone remember that teaser poster for TDK, with The Joker smearing a smiling with a trail of blood? I don't remember much protest when that was released, though I could be wrong. Perhaps we've become so desensitised to violence, that it simply slipped by?

There seems to be a great discrepancy between sex and violence in culture, at least here in the states. I have a good friend that doesn't really enjoy watching 'R' rated films because of the sexual content (his moral compass is better than mine), but if it's something like 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Inglorious Bastards' he can stomach it. A majority seems to be more okay with destruction, ie violence and gore, rather than creation, sex and intimacy. I do not believe it has anything to do with presentation. As in the case of the 'Dark Knight' Joker poster, the idea of a man smearing blood to create a sort of message and graffiti has, as I believe, the same effect as the image presented in the 'Dragon Tattoo' poster. They both have dark undertones. One just commentates on violence while the other addresses sex (even if that's the intent or not). Yet, go to a site like apple.com/trailers and they crop the 'Dragon Tattoo' poster while every other single poster on the page is in its entirety, including one of a women almost getting maimed by a shark. Which sucks for me because I think nudity does have artistic value and this poster I think tried to use it as such, instead of nudity for mere sensationalism. I like the poster but I do not think it will pass muster in cineplexes and theaters so I won't hold my breathe of ever really seeing this poster in person. Shame. In the end all I've got is...wtf.

...Now please give me a few seconds while I hop off my soap box. I get stuck up here sometimes...

#164 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

I agree, SIS, although I must point out that sex and nudity are not one and the same. You can have sexual content without nudity in the same way that you can have nudity that doesn't necessarily denote sexuality. There are countless films that have received harsh ratings for nudity that wasn't even presented in a sexual context.

#165 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

The uncensored poster of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is now out.

Edited by Jackanaples, 08 June 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#166 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

Censors are hard in the U.S b/c there are so many lazy parents out there who don't act like parents (this is also why there are so many fat people in this country). Simple as that.

It's like the Parental Television Counsel trying to get shows and episodes banned b/c "we need to think of the children." It's like well, the show wasn't intended for children so if you would just do your job and be a responsible parent...you wouldn't have any need to tell the rest of us how to live.

That said, some countries like Australia have it really bad.

The uncensored poster of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is now out.

It's been taken down.

#167 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

The uncensored poster image was originally from Trailer Addict and they still have it up.

#168 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

New trailer! Looks awesome!

#169 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Yeah it does. I'm in.

#170 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Looks wonderful. My only complaint: it shows too much and explains the plot in so many details already.

But I know, a recent study (probably payed for by the trailer mafia ;-) said that today´s audiences prefer to know everything before going to see a movie, so...

#171 dunda

dunda

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Looks wonderful. My only complaint: it shows too much and explains the plot in so many details already.

Hmm, can't agree on that. I think it only "feels" like that for those who've read the novels and/or seen the Swedish adaption.
I watched the trailer (actually about 30 times LOL) with a friend of mine who knows nothing about the story. She got exitied but doesn't have a clue about the plot despite it being a movie about an investigation of a crime commited 40 years ago which seems to be part of a series of crimes.

#172 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hmm, can't agree on that. I think it only "feels" like that for those who've read the novels and/or seen the Swedish adaption.
I watched the trailer (actually about 30 times LOL) with a friend of mine who knows nothing about the story. She got exitied but doesn't have a clue about the plot despite it being a movie about an investigation of a crime commited 40 years ago which seems to be part of a series of crimes.

Interesting. You could be absolutely right. Maybe it´s because the trailer is so long that it feels like having explained too much. I must say, however, that I just LOVED the shorter teaser. Fincher really knows how to do this. The SOCIAL NETWORK trailer also was terrific IMO.

#173 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

General Orlov!

#174 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Looks great. Can't wait to see it.

#175 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

Love it! Even though I've read all three novels and seen the first installment of the Swedish version, I'm looking forward to seeing this adaptation. It looks like they make Lisbeth and Mikael more of an equal partnership, as they were in the novel. In the Swedish version, Lisbeth was clearly the star, and Mikael took a backseat to her. I can understand making that choice, and they pulled it off exceedingly well, but I also felt they somewhat undermined Mikael's character in the process. I hope I'm right, and we get to see Lisbeth and Mikael on equal footing.

Off-topic question: I've often wondered why Lisbeth's twin sister never made an appearance in any of the novels, but was referred to only in passing. I kept expecting her to show up.

#176 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

From the Empire Mag

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#177 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

One thing i'm not sure about: why is Daniel Craig speaking in his usual English accent, when Rooney Mara is speaking in English with a Swedish lilt? Surely, since he is playing Mikael Blomkvist, he should be speaking like Mara is, if you get my drift....?

Edited by PPK_19, 10 October 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#178 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

One thing i'm not sure about: why is Daniel Craig speaking in his usual English accent, when Rooney Mara is speaking in English with a Swedish lilt? Surely, since he is playing Mikael Blomkvist, he should be speaking like Mara is, if you get my drift....?

DC and Fincher agreed on the fact, that swedish journalists mostly speak accentfree english.

#179 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Rooney looks a bit photoshopped, but still a cool cover

Posted Image

#180 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant