354 replies to this topic

#121 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Just finished THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE and now hugely on board for all of this. Extremely excited having heard the news of the casting of Christopher Plummer and seeing the first shots of Craig filming in Sweden. Should be a good 'un.

#122 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Looks like Steven Berkoff has joined the cast (and fresh from working with Dalton on The Tourist, too).

His part doesn't seem to have been named, but...the perv parole officer, perhaps? ;)

#123 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

Better and better. I wonder if there's any word on who they've gotten to play the critical part of her first guardian?

#124 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

I'll be interested to see how this film ends up sitting in Fincher's body of work. THE SOCIAL NETWORK is, as far as I'm concerned, the best film Fincher has directed, and I'm eager to see whether or not that same mojo carries over into DRAGON TATTOO. Do we know who's working on the script for this film, BTW?

#125 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

I'll be interested to see how this film ends up sitting in Fincher's body of work. THE SOCIAL NETWORK is, as far as I'm concerned, the best film Fincher has directed, and I'm eager to see whether or not that same mojo carries over into DRAGON TATTOO. Do we know who's working on the script for this film, BTW?

Sure Steven Zaillian

Edited by Germanlady, 11 October 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#126 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

First photos of filming in Stockholm

Also, a note that Joely Richardson has also joined the cast. Perhaps as Cecilia or Harriet Vanger?

#127 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Sure Steven Zaillian

Oh, that's unfortunate.

#128 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Sure Steven Zaillian

Oh, that's unfortunate.

It is?

#129 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Also, a note that Joely Richardson has also joined the cast. Perhaps as Cecilia or Harriet Vanger?

I don't remember character names offhand, but I would guess she's :

Spoiler

#130 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I don't remember character names offhand, but I would guess she's :

Spoiler

That would be Harriet, dinovelvet.
But, hmmm well... I'd rather see her as Cecilia
Spoiler
. She's too frail-looking.

#131 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Still looks like Bond to me.

#132 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

Better and better. I wonder if there's any word on who they've gotten to play the critical part of her first guardian?

When I first read that Christopher Plummer had been cast, I assumed it was in this role (for which I think he would've been perfect), but he's actually playing Henrik Vanger.

#133 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

Having just seen the Swedish film version, easily the greatest movie I've watched all year and the best thriller I have seen since Silence of the Lambs, I have to say the American version holds very little interest to me despite the great man's (Craig) and the even greater man's (Fincher) involvement. There is no way they can make a better film than this. No way.

Hubby and I just watched the first film on DVD, and much as I love Craig, I have to agree with you. There's a chance that this English version will be as riveting as the Swedish, but having seen the Swedish version first, I feel they perfectly captured the essence of the book. And the casting of Lisbeth Salander was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine anyone other than Noomi Rapace in that role; she was exactly the way I pictured Salander as I was reading the story, and she nailed that performance.

#134 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Having just seen the Swedish film version, easily the greatest movie I've watched all year and the best thriller I have seen since Silence of the Lambs, I have to say the American version holds very little interest to me despite the great man's (Craig) and the even greater man's (Fincher) involvement. There is no way they can make a better film than this. No way.

Hubby and I just watched the first film on DVD, and much as I love Craig, I have to agree with you. There's a chance that this English version will be as riveting as the Swedish, but having seen the Swedish version first, I feel they perfectly captured the essence of the book. And the casting of Lisbeth Salander was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine anyone other than Noomi Rapace in that role; she was exactly the way I pictured Salander as I was reading the story, and she nailed that performance.

I think and from what I read about their take on it, it will stay very true to the book and probablay fill in some important gaps, i feel, the swedeish version has. The way MB was portayed left me somewhat unsatisfied - not enough depth - so I do hope for a version, that will compare very well with the other film. We will see - many people will just go to compare the two films and judge. Lisbeth was fantastic, but not what I saw in her after reading the books. Rooney will portray her differently - by looks, she is already closer to the books.

Sad its still a 1 year wait almost.

#135 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

I think and from what I read about their take on it, it will stay very true to the book and probablay fill in some important gaps, i feel, the swedeish version has. The way MB was portayed left me somewhat unsatisfied - not enough depth - so I do hope for a version, that will compare very well with the other film. We will see - many people will just go to compare the two films and judge. Lisbeth was fantastic, but not what I saw in her after reading the books. Rooney will portray her differently - by looks, she is already closer to the books.

I agree with you on the portrayal of the Mikael Blomkvist; I appreciate subtlety, but it was a bit too muted and benign for my tastes and didn't fully reflect the character's obsessive nature. Daniel Craig can bring that intensity to the role, but it will be interesting to see how he's able to balance that with the Salander character, as inevitably she's the star. We just watched "The Invasion" on DVD, and it was interesting to see that Craig didn't really have a true co-starring role; it was pretty much all Nicole Kidman's film. That was a bit of a disappointment, even though I found myself surprised to like this reinterpretation (as opposed to a true remake) of the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" films. And it was nice to see Craig and Jeffrey Wright reunited! Craig was good, but didn't get to do a whole lot. I'm looking forward to him having a meatier role (hopefully) in this film.

#136 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I agree with you on the portrayal of the Mikael Blomkvist; I appreciate subtlety, but it was a bit too muted and benign for my tastes and didn't fully reflect the character's obsessive nature. Daniel Craig can bring that intensity to the role, but it will be interesting to see how he's able to balance that with the Salander character, as inevitably she's the star. We just watched "The Invasion" on DVD, and it was interesting to see that Craig didn't really have a true co-starring role; it was pretty much all Nicole Kidman's film. That was a bit of a disappointment, even though I found myself surprised to like this reinterpretation (as opposed to a true remake) of the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" films. And it was nice to see Craig and Jeffrey Wright reunited! Craig was good, but didn't get to do a whole lot. I'm looking forward to him having a meatier role (hopefully) in this film.

I do feel somehow, that in Invasion nnobody was really good. I can't weatch this film without cringing :tdown: DC doesn't have an ego, that needs to be fed by being the lead actor in everything he does - having an interesting role is enough. I think, it will depend on how much more "character" he can give Blomkvist to see, if they end up being equals or if Mara is going to steal the show again. It takes Fincher 6 months to shoot this film, as much as doing a Bond movie, so I am hoping for some brilliance.

#137 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I do feel somehow, that in Invasion nnobody was really good. I can't weatch this film without cringing :tdown: DC doesn't have an ego, that needs to be fed by being the lead actor in everything he does - having an interesting role is enough. I think, it will depend on how much more "character" he can give Blomkvist to see, if they end up being equals or if Mara is going to steal the show again. It takes Fincher 6 months to shoot this film, as much as doing a Bond movie, so I am hoping for some brilliance.

Oh, I think we'll get brilliance. Fine though the Swedish films are--and they are!--they err, for me, on the side of two-slavish faithfulness to the texts. The balance between Blomkvist and Salander must be established at the start so that it can be maintained. Otherwise, we have a first film with both characters...a second film with more Salander than Blomkvist...and a third film with Salander in a hospital bed for most of the time! In its own strange way, this works for the books--but the films can, and should, take creative liberties.

#138 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

Holy crap! :o

http://www.dailymail...gon-Tattoo.html

She's turned into Noomi Rapace!

#139 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Holy crap! :o

http://www.dailymail...gon-Tattoo.html

She's turned into Noomi Rapace!

No, she turned into Lisbeth Salander. She looks fantastic, right out of the books...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Germanlady, 13 January 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#140 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Now that´s... extreme. More than the Swedish version, more like I imagined her after reading the book.

Fincher will definitely make an intriguing film. And Zaillian is in my book one of the best script writers the US have. Wow, looking forward to this film now.

#141 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

No disrespect to Rapace, who gave a splendid performance--but I think the new film nails Salander's look. Exactly how I pictured her, far less intellectual looking than Rapace's take.

#142 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Wow, great look. Exactly the way I hoped Fincher would take things. Early stages but I'm feeling very positive.

#143 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:23 AM

Leaked trailer from the film. It's a red band trailer, so there is some violent and sexual imagery throughout it, but it looks fantastic. It defaintely reminds me of SE7EN. I especially liked the rough version of Immigrant Song throughout it; it really fits in with the visuals. And the tagline - "The feel-bad movie of Christmas" - implies that Fincher is going to go extremely dark with it (which the book was).

#144 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:53 AM

Saw the trailer earlier today. Looked very interesting and i've never read the books or watched the Swedish version of the film trilogy, but this looks good....so far.

#145 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

Not all that impressed by the trailer, looks okay I guess.

#146 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Then you are really pretty much alone - all those, who are not ANTI this new adaption,just for the heck of it, think, it rocks. ;)

#147 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

As ever Craig looks great, but the music was a bit jarring for me and it doesn't really look like my cup of tea. Little too dirty for my taste, and I wasn't an enormous fan of the book. I'm sure Fincher did a great job, but I sincerely doubt I'll be seeing this until it's on TV.

#148 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

Awful trailer. Love seeing Craig back, though. :D

#149 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

Brilliant. Going to love this.

#150 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Cool, I'm looking forward to this . . . and this is coming from someone who's a fan of the Swedish original.