This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1591 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Speaking of series, have there been rumours who will pen the next entry? Or would that possibly steal the thunder and we'll only hear once Carte Blanche has been around for a while???

#1592 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

And a piece of Bensonesque action tat for the Yanks.

Bit much, non? I thought the covers to Mr Benson's books were quite distinctive and jolly. Stretching it a bit to clobber Mr Benson by association with anything very much here.

Not if one simply condsiders the different quality of the covers to be to a similar degree as the difference in writing quality between Fleming and Benson, surely?

But I do acknowledge Raymond Benson had no involvement in the design of the appauling US CARTE BLANCHE cover. And that while the covers of his own novels were not quite to my taste, they clearly brought you, Jim (and I'm sure others), a certain level of happiness.

#1593 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

There's a little article about Carte in the Times today; things of interest it notes are: Deaver met IFP and signed the deal at this Emirates Literature Festival in Dubai last year (apparently); he read scripts of Spooks, Prime Suspect, Coronation Street and EastEnders to get the feel for how Brits speak (!); and he broke the habit of the way he works this time round by actually showing IFP the manuscript all the way through the process- usually he presents the final draft to his publishers as a fait accompli. He also says he enjoyed researching MI6. Nice little piece.

#1594 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

It may be the case that, as zencat puts it, "the smaller the market, the more subtle and artistic you can be", but then I'd have assumed America to be a smaller market than Britain for Bond continuation novels.

DEVIL MAY CARE was a genuine smash in Britain (if memory serves, it was the fastest-selling paperback of all time, or something like that), but did it really do much business Stateside? I'm guessing not. I also suspect that the Brits lapped up rather more copies of the Higsons and Samantha Weinbergs than the Americans did, and, heck, probably more Gardners and Bensons as well.

I think the US cover is distinctive (for good or ill) and hardly unambiguous and if designed to sell hardback books in a depressed fiction market, so be it. It may prove necessary and successful, ultimately. To re-establish a good-as-sixty-year-old name in a bold way - and to try to get a new series going rather than a Faulksian one-off curiosity, this may work - it may have to work.

Pragmatics may have to give way to art.But perhaps not yet.

Points taken, but I suspect that this American cover may prove counterproductive, even self-sabotaging.

Surely the U.S. publisher knows that Bond fans (and, presumably, fervent Deaver fans) are going to buy this book anyway, so they don't need to be reassured and soothed with a stonking great big "007" dominating the cover or something equally "Bondian" and fannish. Their purchase is already guaranteed.

So they need to consider how to reach beyond the hardcore Bond fanbase (if, that is, they're seriously interested in selling this thing to a wider readership than just the anorak-clad faithful). The U.K. cover achieves this brilliantly - it's classy, sophisticated and mysterious and will no doubt cause many non-Bond fans to think "Hey, this might just be a decent read in its own right."

But the U.S. cover does precisely the opposite - it almost screams "This is for Bond nutters only - everyone else KEEP OUT." I know this is snobbery talking, but going by a lot of my non-Bond fan/non-movie geek friends and acquaintances, none of them would be caught dead reading a book with "007" in massive letters on the cover - to them it would just scream "DORK". On the other hand, they be much happier to be, erm, caught dead reading a book with that classy puff of smoke against a white backdrop.

#1595 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

*crosses fingers that Australia gets the UK cover art*

That American cover is just horrible. Looks like one of those $5 thrillers in the newsagents bargain bins by authors you've never heard of. Looks like someone put in a good 2 minutes work on photoshop for that one.

As opposed to the minute and a half spent using the Photoshop "Smoke" filter plug in for the UK cover?

I agree that the US cover is abysmal, but the UK cover isn't artistically difficult to achieve, or even unique.

#1596 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

But who cares about whether something is "artistically difficult to achieve, or even unique"? Shouldn't we just care about whether it's good? So far, CBners have shown that they overwhelmingly approve of the British cover, while the American cover is (rightly) getting panned.

#1597 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Doesn't it also make sense to have a white cover for a book titled Carte Blanche Alright I'm splitting hairs at this point. Nevertheless, so long as it sells copies and ensures us another one who cares? We can all order the UK edition. I have to agree with Loomis, though. Being caught reading a book with a giant 007 on it in public would be a bit embarrassing.

#1598 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Doesn't it also make sense to have a white cover for a book titled Carte Blanche Alright I'm splitting hairs at this point.

No; that's a good point really. A white card with one mark on it in blood or something would make sense for Bond.

#1599 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Whilst I agree with the UK cover is good / US one is bad mantra, I love the way suddenly everyone becomes commercial graphic designers. Whatever anyone thinks of the UK smoke cover, it has not been done on MS Publisher in five minutes. A lot more thought and reasoning has clearly gone into the white cover. The white alone will have a reason for inclusion.

#1600 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have to agree with Loomis, though. Being caught reading a book with a giant 007 on it in public would be a bit embarrassing.

I think this is a pretty deadly point. And to be honest, I think I'd also be a little embarrassed to read a book with this cover in public. (Of course I will be reading it at home with my George Lazenby doll sitting on the bed beside me.)

Man, this U.S. cover has really received a drubbing. Even all the comments on my site are negative. And this isn't the normal fans arguing pro and con, I don't think I've seen a single positive reaction. Even I can't say I love this cover. I don't hate it... All I can do is try and understand what they are going for and think it might look better in person.

Is it possible they'd rethink this based on the reaction? Maybe they can and should ignore obsessive fanboys, but it's the embarrassed to read observation that really spooks me. I fear that could extend outside fandom to the general public (in that case it would be "embarrassed to buy"). Maybe if they did something more with the 007. Made the design somehow reflect the content of the book. You know, it's made of diamonds or sandstone of whatever, or even that nice steel look of the teaser. Something just a bit more cool and artistic.

I don't know. I mean, this is Simon & Schuster here. They must know what they are doing. Maybe they've focus grouped a bunch of covers and, hey, like it or not, this is what works best.

#1601 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

So far, CBners have shown that they overwhelmingly approve of the British cover, while the American cover is (rightly) getting panned.

I could make the same argument regarding the majority of CBners putting TWMGG at the bottom tier of Bond films. Is the majority always right Loomis?

As for your and Matt's belief that people would want to "hide" the fact that they were reading a Bond novel, I guess I wonder what people did with the DMC cover - while it doesn't have a big 007 on it, it does pretty clearly say "A James Bond Novel" pretty boldly at the top. Did your "Non dork" friends tape over the words?

Perhaps the publishers should bring back the trick used on Kingsley Amis's Book of Bond with the reversible dust jacket that had "The Bible to be Read as Literature" on the other side.

#1602 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Doesn't it also make sense to have a white cover for a book titled Carte Blanche Alright I'm splitting hairs at this point.

No; that's a good point really. A white card with one mark on it in blood or something would make sense for Bond.

I looooooove that it's a white cover.

#1603 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

How well do you know these publishers zen? Would you be able to score an interview?

I just email them and introduce myself. Simple. :)

BTW, I love how our good friends over at MI6 took my image of the U.S. cover, erased my watermark, added their own, and posted it without any credit whatsoever. (I know this because I changed the image slightly so it's identifiable even without my watermark). Is it really so hard to give credit? Or just ask me for it. Or, god forbid, contact the publisher and get the image yourself. Meh, at least they gave me a day. :rolleyes:

#1604 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

Maybe if they did something more with the 007. Made the design somehow reflect the content of the book. You know, it's made of diamonds or sandstone of whatever, or even that nice steel look of the teaser. Something just a bit more cool and artistic.

I don't know. I mean, this is Simon & Schuster here. They must know what they are doing.

Maybe, but y'know; if that logic were true there would never be a bad film put out by the major studios! :) I like your steel idea, though; that would be rather nice for Bond. I'd even like something that said 'Dubai' a bit more- white steel and blinding sunshine, that sort of thing.

Whilst I agree with the UK cover is good / US one is bad mantra, I love the way suddenly everyone becomes commercial graphic designers.

I am! Most people are nowadays, it seems.

#1605 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hey, GS, I don't think it's your stance on not liking the cover that's bringing the negative hits on your posts. It's how you say it. It's calling other members haters. It's saying your opinion is truth. It's presenting yourself as somewhat of a martyr. I'm sorry. Just saying...

But I do think you'll find more kindship when talking about the U.S. cover. So...go nuts. :)

#1606 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

The white alone will have a reason for inclusion.

Well, the book IS called Carte Blanche...so there's that. The title also symbolizes the clean slate that this novel represents. A new world and a new Bond, yet the style and spirit remains the same. Pretty exciting really. It's what makes the dire state of the US art all the more underwhelming.

I don't HATE the US cover, it's just relentlessly plain and sort of self conscious. I wouldn't be caught dead reading that in public.

#1607 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

he read scripts of Spooks, Prime Suspect, Coronation Street and EastEnders to get the feel for how Brits speak (!)

Oh God. Gulp.

I have to agree with Loomis, though. Being caught reading a book with a giant 007 on it in public would be a bit embarrassing.

I don't really get this. I admit to being pretty snobbish about reading material but I don't give a [censored] what other people think about what/who I'm reading. Who is so insecure that they are bothered that strangers on a train, for example, may think that reading Bond books is too lowbrow? :rolleyes:

Man, this U.S. cover has really received a drubbing. Even all the comments on my site are negative. And this isn't the normal fans arguing pro and con, I don't think I've seen a single positive reaction. Even I can't say I love this cover. I don't hate it... All I can do is try and understand what they are going for and think it might look better in person.

I think I get what they are trying to do with the cover and I don't hate it as much as some seem to, but frankly my dog has left more inspired looking piles in the garden than this US cover. Than both the covers, to be honest. I don't hate them and do prefer the UK cover to the US but am unable to get that excited about either.

#1608 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

So far, CBners have shown that they overwhelmingly approve of the British cover, while the American cover is (rightly) getting panned.

I could make the same argument regarding the majority of CBners putting TWMGG at the bottom tier of Bond films. Is the majority always right Loomis?

Not always. However, in this case, yes, the majority is right.

#1609 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Who is so insecure that they are bothered that strangers on a train, for example, may think that reading Bond books is too lowbrow? :rolleyes:

It's not just that, though. A classy cover speaks of a decent book, whereas the U.S. cover paints CARTE BLANCHE as a piece of drivel for hardcore Bond freaks only. If you saw those two covers side by side in a bookshop (and they had different titles), which book would you say looked more of a worthwhile read?

I know, I know - "Don't judge a book by its cover." But rightly or wrongly, people do judge books by their covers, which is why publishers spend a lot of money on designers, research, focus groups, etc. in order to get their covers "right".

#1610 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

I think I get what they are trying to do with the cover and I don't hate it as much as some seem to, but frankly my dog has left more inspired looking piles in the garden than this US cover. Than both the covers, to be honest. I don't hate them and do prefer the UK cover to the US but am unable to get that excited about either.

But you have to admit your dog, judging by the photo, is an extremely intelligent specimen of the Doberman. Small wonder its piles show traces of genius.

#1611 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

I don't really get this. I admit to being pretty snobbish about reading material but I don't give a [censored] what other people think about what/who I'm reading. Who is so insecure that they are bothered that strangers on a train, for example, may think that reading Bond books is too lowbrow? :rolleyes:

*hand slowly goes up*

Joking aside, insecurity has nothing to do with. I certainly don't care whether people know I'm a Bond fan or not, and I definitely don't worry about whether they think the content I'm reading is lowbrow (I'm positive that's all I read, actually). It's just...I mean look at it.

Alright, guess I have to make a fool out of myself to attempt to prove my point. I have a T-shirt (yeah, we're going there) that I don't mind and a polo that I like. There's a giant 007 on the T. I would not want to wear that thing in public, even if it was the most comfortable T-shirt ever stitched (you know, not like all those other shirts with a design on the front where the ink makes the inside of the shirt around the lettering feel cold and sticky against the skin when you put it on). I'd go with the polo because it hangs nicer on my shoulders and doesn't call nearly as much attention to itself. Books and shirts are different, I know, and it should be the content of the book that matters most, I get that. However, I wouldn't want to advertise my fandom if it can be avoided, because I just wouldn't feel overwhelmingly comfortable doing it.

#1612 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

A beautiful and very classic cover. And a french title is a good choice ! :tup:

#1613 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

A beautiful and very classic cover. And a french title is a good choice ! :tup:

Yes; very romantic!

#1614 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

I think this is a pretty deadly point. And to be honest, I think I'd also be a little embarrassed to read a book with this cover in public. (Of course I will be reading it at home with my George Lazenby doll sitting on the bed beside me.)

Is it possible they'd rethink this based on the reaction? Maybe they can and should ignore obsessive fanboys, but it's the embarrassed to read observation that really spooks me. I fear that could extend outside fandom to the general public (in that case it would be "embarrassed to buy"). Maybe if they did something more with the 007. Made the design somehow reflect the content of the book. You know, it's made of diamonds or sandstone of whatever, or even that nice steel look of the teaser. Something just a bit more cool and artistic.

I don't know. I mean, this is Simon & Schuster here. They must know what they are doing. Maybe they've focus grouped a bunch of covers and, hey, like it or not, this is what works best.

Well, you could just ping them this thread and your blog to offer them fair warning - one good favour etc.

Would be interesting to see what their reaction to our reaction would be.

Is there such a thing as a test screening for the book world?

#1615 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

And if nothing else, screw the public. I took LICENSE RENEWED to a NO DOUBT concert back in the mid-90's and read it on the grass (I'd never heard of NO DOUBT prior to the concert and didn't care for the opening acts; I was dragged to it by friends). I don't care what strangers think.

I love ya, GS. :)

#1616 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

I think I'd also be a little embarrassed to read a book with this cover in public. (Of course I will be reading it at home with my George Lazenby doll sitting on the bed beside me.)

I think this may be my favourite thing ever written on CB.n.

Who is so insecure that they are bothered that strangers on a train, for example, may think that reading Bond books is too lowbrow? :rolleyes:

It's not just that, though. A classy cover speaks of a decent book, whereas the U.S. cover paints CARTE BLANCHE as a piece of drivel for hardcore Bond freaks only. If you saw those two covers side by side in a bookshop (and they had different titles), which book would you say looked more of a worthwhile read?

What I mean is that does it really matter if other people, particularly people you don't know, think that what you're reading is or isn't a worthwhile read?

But you have to admit your dog, judging by the photo, is an extremely intelligent specimen of the Doberman. Small wonder its piles show traces of genius.

Ahhhh Dustin. You know how to get in a woman's good books :) .

#1617 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

I think I'd also be a little embarrassed to read a book with this cover in public. (Of course I will be reading it at home with my George Lazenby doll sitting on the bed beside me.)

And when he says doll, he aint talking about an action figure :o

#1618 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

And when he says doll, he aint talking about an action figure :o

LOL. :D

#1619 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

I'm surprised you'd consider reading any Bond book with a cover in public. Just saying, I take the dust jacket off so I don't mess it up. :P

How does it look on my shelf? That's the question. I'll probably just have the spine showing and in that case, the cover looks great ;) Though "Carte Blanche" on a black cover. They must be nuts. American author, English subject, French title, opposite color cover. Neat.

#1620 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

:)